[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /lit/, let's talk about those philosophy books you read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
So /lit/, let's talk about those philosophy books you read and found funny or generally enjoyable as pieces of writing regardless of the pleasure derived from its philosophical content.

Mine
>Spinoza's Ethics, especially the Appendix to Part 1 - reads like Gorgias 2: Pantheistic Bogaloo

>The Birth of Tragedy, which I've genuinely found more poetic than Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Nietzsche's metaphors were far, far better than what they became. Just think about the part about the Apollinean epic, holy shit.

>Cyclonopedia because really, it's an Iranian dude raving about Deleuze and Lovecraft in a semi-novelistic form. What's not to like? The fact I was able to use his concepts of Taqiyyah and Cthulhoid Ethics to affabulate and impress a professor in an exam just makes it better.
>>
Bump? No one gives a shit about fun in philosophy?
>>
Nicolas Gomez Davila
He wrote almost only aphorisms.

http://don-colacho.blogspot.de/?m=1
>>
>>7971536
>not knowing how greentext works
>>
>>7971536

Language, Truth, and Logic by AJ Ayer

I consider this pretty much the golden standard for clarity and straightforward prose. Very refreshing after anything continental or postmodern.

An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine by John Henry Cardinal Newman

Religious philosophy if you will, but Newman is undoubtedly a master of English prose. Refined like a good scotch.

Fanged Noumena by Nick Land

Extremely vivid, his writing style suits his paranoid metaphysics very well.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.