[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is he a pseud? have you seen his Faulkner movie adaptations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: james-franco-25_1308408116.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
james-franco-25_1308408116.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
is he a pseud?
have you seen his Faulkner movie adaptations?
>>
File: 1451633112262.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451633112262.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
Yes.

His As I Lay Dying adaptation was fucking awful.
Child of God was okay.
His test video for Blood Meridian was shit.
The trailer for The Sound and the Fury looks like full retard.
His poetry and prose is fucking shit. I've read it. It's trash.
He's a man who has adapted to lit very late and has very little actual experience in writing outside of an expensive education, and it really fucking shows.
>>
>>7971533
Basically yeah, but many great authors started out like him. Trying to prove that one can often motivates one to do so, and he's got all the resources that a human being ever could.

Palo Alto was shit, As I Lay Dying adaptation was okay, his new movies look on par to be okay. But he's putting in a great deal of work and going to improve. He could yet be great
>>
>>7971533
He's a pretty face and nothing more.
>>
>>7971533
i was 99 % sure his sound & fury trailer was a joke
>>
>>7971578
lol I just watched it. it doesn't look that bad. the reviews though. shèeeeit sure do suck.
>>
I found Actors Anonymous very funny.
>>
I feel kinda bad for him, like he really likes Faulkner, but he's just too bad to properly recreate it on the film screen and he knows it, but he keeps trying.
>>
>DUDE I CAN DO SERIOUS MOVIES AND WEED FLICKS AT THE SAME TIME LMAO

I'd say he is literally the personification of the banal cliche millennialism that like a cancer is choking our society but this gives him too much credit
>>
I flip flop between thinking he's a basic bitch to a fuckable fuckboy bitch.
>>
Franco is fucking terrible. People criticize all kinds of actors but I think he is one of the few that is genuinely awful.
>>
>>7971542
/thread
>>
>>7971533
He's a pseud, and I have seen a couple of his film adaptations.
As I Lay Dying I thought was bretty gud until a friend asked "If you hadn't read the book, would you know what was happening?" And for the most part, you wouldn't.
Child of God was bad. He didn't do much stylistically with it like he did with As I Lay Dying, it was told fairly straight forward, so you really felt the lack of McCarthy's prose and character insight. He also made Lester Ballard too over the top at times.
>>
File: james_franco_determinism.jpg (68 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
james_franco_determinism.jpg
68 KB, 600x500
daily reminder
>>
>>7972336
which is pseudo-shit for we dont know or wont know until we have all the info.
>>
>>7972336
That's quite a roundabout way of stating "I'm a determinist".
>>
I don't think pseud is the right word. I have a friend who is exactly like him. Talented guy at a few things, and really interested in intellectual things, but just fucking born dumb and can't help it. Franco seems like a good guy.
>>
>>7972853
This.
A dumb intellectual.
>>
>>7971851
This. I really can't mock him for it because you can tell he CARES. He cares and he wants to do Faulkner justice, he just can't because he's a total moron.
>>
>>7971533
He did a movie based on a bookwritten by my uncle and it was shit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broken_Tower_%28film%29
>>
>>7972929
>Having literate relatives
I'm so jealous, do you talk to each other?
>>
>>7972968
nope
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 331x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 331x445
He certainly carries books around with him a lot, and is usually fairly non discrete about it.
>>
>>7973921
listening to music and reading. yup he's retarded.
>>
>>7972853
If he's talented, even at a few things, how can you call him dumb?
>>
>>7973960
Being talented at acting in stoner comedies doesn't make you smart.
>>
>>7973965
I meant your friend
>>
>>7973960
don't have to be smart to act
>>
>>7973974
I meant his friend, not Franco
>>
>>7973979
My friend knows how to juggle and is good at caber tossing.
>>
>>7973982
I see.

Well, I don't think Franco is stupid, he recognizes problems and has well-informed and valid opinions if you've read excerpts from his book, he just doesn't go much in depth. Pretty average, but, average is stupid on 4chan, so.
>>
>>7974022
he has a book? what is it about
>>
>>7974033
book of short stories called Palo Alto
>>
>>7974035
oh my God. sounds like a tao lin book
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.