[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's a Waterloo chapter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12
File: les miserables book.jpg (31 KB, 275x475) Image search: [Google]
les miserables book.jpg
31 KB, 275x475
>it's a Waterloo chapter
>>
File: wap.jpg (41 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
wap.jpg
41 KB, 300x400
>It's a Pierre doing dumb shit chaper
>>
>>7969572
That chapter was fantastic. I don't understand why people don't like it.
>>
>>7969750
Exactly. When I remember my reading of Les Mis, I barely recall or care about the melodrama of the characters, but it's the detailed descriptions, of Waterloo, of the convent, of the Paris sewer system, these very worthwhile portraits with great information that would be not so easily disseminated among the public, which are what rise up as the most memorable and enduring parts of the book.

The intricacies of the weather, artillery, formations and other minutiae of Waterloo: 10/10

Jean Valjean's death: meh/10
>>
>>7969861

>I barely recall or care about the melodrama of the characters, but it's the detailed descriptions, of Waterloo, of the convent, of the Paris sewer system, these very worthwhile portraits with great information that would be not so easily disseminated among the public, which are what rise up as the most memorable and enduring parts of the book

I guess I'm just a huge effeminate pussy.
>>
File: lordofchaos.jpg (157 KB, 464x689) Image search: [Google]
lordofchaos.jpg
157 KB, 464x689
>It's a female character is an insufferable cunt chapter
>>
>>7969951
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. It's just that those parts are where I thought Hugo achieved the most. As far as characters go, I'd say the redemptive Valjean story of Volume I is the deepest and most comprehensive. Other than that, I think the characters a bit flatter than one would hope. (Except Thenardier; he's great.)
>>
>>7969984
>That pic
You mean Megyn Kelly?
>>
>>7969572
>it's a bishop of digne chapter

JUST
>>
File: lordofchaos.jpg (157 KB, 464x689) Image search: [Google]
lordofchaos.jpg
157 KB, 464x689
>>7970030
kek, good idea. I think she would be in the blue ajah Get ready for the redemption interview that will swing woman voters to Trump, it's happening.
>>
>it's a "describe every place fucking place in america we went while travelling cross-country" chapter
>>
>>7969572
>it's a let's list local historical events that make no sense to the modern reader chapter

http://www.online-literature.com/victor_hugo/les_miserables/28/
>>
>>7969861
So much this. I read that Waterloo chapter with stars in my eyes. The detail! the detail he goes into, I don't care how much is fact or fiction, he does it seamlessly whatever it was.
>>7969951
I'm a huge effeminate pussy and I don't remember a lot of the character melodrama.
>>7969989
>characters a bit flatter
I dunno, the love notebook from Marius was pretty deep. The ending killed me, for sure.
>>
>>7969750
>>7969861
He flat out lies about the battle. He romantically Imagines the French army having few problems and thus places Wellington in an irretrievable condition. If What the Author says happened actually did, France would have won the battle.
>>
>not liking the best chapter in Les Misérables

Fucking pleb, might as well read an abridged version and call it "les Mis".
>>
>>7969572
Worst thing about this novel is the version OP posted is the best translation, except the binding is shit. It is a 1400+ page novel, IT SHOULD NOT BE SOLD IN SOME SHIT MADE PAPERBACK FORMAT.
>>
File: Infinite_jest_cover[1].jpg (28 KB, 300x464) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_jest_cover[1].jpg
28 KB, 300x464
>It's a Marathe chapter
>>
File: 18th Century Shitposting.jpg (11 KB, 250x346) Image search: [Google]
18th Century Shitposting.jpg
11 KB, 250x346
>>7970044

>implying the Bishop's chapters aren't the best
>mfw
>>
>>7969572
Except that was the best fucking chapter, excepting possibly the chapter on slang
>>
File: 9780330423069.jpg (239 KB, 900x1288) Image search: [Google]
9780330423069.jpg
239 KB, 900x1288
>It's an Amadeo chapter
>>
File: mfw.jpg (46 KB, 560x505) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
46 KB, 560x505
>it's a Tchitcherine chapter
>>
>>7970144
The end could have been stronger if JvalJ died unforgiven and miserable and Marius found out the truth after his death and regretted his behavior for the rest of his days
>>
>>7969572
yeah I always complain about the waterloo digressions. they pulled me out of the story and bored me to tears. I have to say that some of the digressions with whaling and obscure ship parts in moby dick bored me the same way. I guess I can see why some would like it though. whatever.
>>
>>7969649
it's a Tolstoy takes you aside to explain how he's the only historian who really understands how history works chapter
>>
>>7972195
Damn man I loved the Amadeo narratives
>>
>>7972289
Holy shit this meme isn't even funny,
>>
Is it worth to read Les Miserable if I have already seen the musical?
>>
>>7970050
So much this. Only part of the book I didn't love.
>>
>>7972545

Yes. I'm a musicalfag too and I'm enjoying reading it right now.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (13 KB, 235x214) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
13 KB, 235x214
It's a mast and rigging chapter
>>
>>7972545

Yeah definitely. Whilst the musical is an acceptable adaptation within the confines of the medium, there's a lot of stuff that is necessarily omitted which makes the reading of the book more than worthwhile.
>>
>>7972238

How the fuck did the Moby Dick digressions bore you? They were so heavily steeped in allegory and so beautifully written. I don't see how anyone could hope to come close to understanding Moby Dick without them.
>>
File: unleavened shit.jpg (46 KB, 567x567) Image search: [Google]
unleavened shit.jpg
46 KB, 567x567
>it's a describing the dimensions of every object in the Tabernacle chapter
>>
>>7972545

The book is very much its own thing. Hugo, even in translation is a great writer. He has this really special enthusiasm that makes him a joy to read. He overly romanticises everything he describes to an extreme extent and it makes for very enjoyable reading.
>>
>>7972545
What does the book do better?
>>
>>7972720

>Marius has actual character (he's a self absorbed prick)
>The political situation in France is actually explained so that you understand why the rebellion is taking place
>The ABC club are actual characters
>The Waterloo chapter (if you're into that)
>Over the top romanticism
>Javerts reasons for doing what he does are clearer
>Everything is clearer for the most part
>The final battle has a lot of weight
>More Javert
>A lot of good social commentary on the nature of revoluton
>All of this commentary is inherent in the basic character interactions (still present in the musical) but is meaningless outside of the political context the book places it in

Cons
>That fucking convent chapter
>Many plot points drag out much longer than they should have
>A LOT of over the top melodrama
>We get more of Marius but he's incredibly unlike-able
>That fucking convent chapter
>A lot of unnecessary extending of the plot
>>
File: iliad-1.gif (16 KB, 374x547) Image search: [Google]
iliad-1.gif
16 KB, 374x547
>it's a funeral games chapter
>>
File: cover_annakarenina.jpg (490 KB, 1029x1600) Image search: [Google]
cover_annakarenina.jpg
490 KB, 1029x1600
>it's a Levin does boring farm stuff and complains about women and marriage because of Tolstoy's issues chapter
>>
>>7972196
I loved Old Tchitch but every time I read GR the whole Khirghiz Light bumfuck nowhere and linguistics office parts are the absolute low point of the book. Maybe I'm just stupid but they sure are a drag.
>>
>>7972205
>JvalJ
>>7969861
>les mis

How do you have the time to read a 1000 page book but cannot write names in their full form?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.