[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Albert Camus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: qtcamus.jpg (45 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
qtcamus.jpg
45 KB, 500x647
Did he just not like Arabs?
:^)
>>
>>7968091
I honestly hate pakis
>>
is it correct to call algerians arabs? Aren't they berbers or some shit?
>>
>>7968103
I was making a reference to The Stranger.
His "protagonist" if you can call it that shoots an Arab on a whim. For a scene with so little detail, it's very memorable. Probably for that very reason.
>>
>>7968091
No one does.
>>
The Arabs obviously had it coming. Only thing about the book that evoked any emotion was the fact he was convicted.
>>
>>7968109
If you think hating Arabs had anything to do with the reason the MC killed the Arab, or if you think there was really any "reason" at all, then I don't think you understood the book.
>>
>>7968102
i do too
>>
>>7968103
that's what it calls them in the book.
>>
>>7968355
I thought the point was that in the average case he would have gotten away with a light sentence but since he didn't show any emotion to his mothers death they thought he was inhuman
>>
>>7968368
this.
The whole point is that he could have not killed him, he killed him, it doesn't matter.

If we're small talking about The Stranger, that makes me think that the song by The Cure clearly understood the point of Camus here. I like this song. I like this book.
>>
>>7968091
Nobody likes Arabs
>>
File: Don't mind me....jpg (36 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
Don't mind me....jpg
36 KB, 600x480
>>
File: 1st Bloods.jpg (101 KB, 454x397) Image search: [Google]
1st Bloods.jpg
101 KB, 454x397
We could use a few more Meursault's right now.
>>
>>7968103
Good question, it's complicated. Arab is just a word, it can mean many different things : people from Arabia ; people from arabic speaking countries who claim arabian ancestry ; people from an arabic speaking country who identifiy as arabs.
North africans were arabized, west europeans were romanized, central europeans were magyarized and so on, it's tough to say what you are.
In the context of Algeria, there are berbers who still speak berber and arabized berbers, so called arabs.
In the context of French Algeria, an arab just means a muslim, i.e not a european or a jew. Could have been a berber speaking berber but probably was an arabized berber. lol
>>
>>7969065
That and he never told a lie. Society fears how 'inhuman' the average person can be.
>>
>>7969069
What was even more interesting to me was the fact that Meursault could have won his trial pretty easily. Him as a French-Algerian was a higher class citizen than the "Arab" which he killed, if he desired he could have easily claimed that he was defending himself or some such story, and most likely would have been found innocent.
>>
>>7970011
your a dorable
>>
>>7970011
this, actually.

grappling with the absurd is all well and good, but there's no need to be stupid about things.

Reading the book I thought at Mersault, "Lie, for god's sake, and save your ass!" I'd definitely read the version of the story where he lies in court and gets away with it. Or even the version where he gets caught in his lie. Or any other number of permutations, so long as it's not so violently contradictory to human nature

The absurd would be present regardless, it is inescapable.
>>
>>7968103
call them beurs beurettes or bedouines. or berberes
>>
>>7969089
Not even arabs
>>
>>7970011
I see his refusal to lie at the trial as a fairly powerful part of the book, along with the last bit with the pastor. Whether the philosophy that the book stems from is correct, it's just naturally very attractive for a character to have a set of principles & to stand up to them.
>>
I very much wanted him to get sentenced because he was a terrible person.
>>
>>7968091
I read The Stranger a long time ago and was thinking about reading his other novels. Any recommendations?
>>
>>7970847
i read the plague after the stranger
>>
>>7970896
this is a good recommendation
>>
>>7968091
Anyone that has ever lived near non-whites will hate them.
>>7968103
No, only very few of them are berbers, like the copts in Egypt. Most North Africans are descended from Arab invaders.

This is the case for almost all MENA countries, like how most "syrians" aren't actual syrians and most "lebanese" aren't lebanese.
>>
>>7970896
thank you
>>
>>7968091
he was arab you dip
>>
>>7970997
>Camus
>Arab
pick one
>>
>>7970911
>No, only very few of them are berbers, like the copts in Egypt. Most North Africans are descended from Arab invaders.
no lol

The amount of peninsular Arabs who settled in North Africa was less than 10,000. Genetic studies show that the vast majority of North African lineage comes from North Africa, not the Arabian peninsula.

They're still Arabs, but only because they speak Arabic and call themselves Arabs.
>>
>>7971001
>like how most "syrians" aren't actual syrians and most "lebanese" aren't lebanese
We waz Phoeniciangs
>>
File: ssnp.png (67 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
ssnp.png
67 KB, 2000x1333
>>7972304
Meant to reply to >>7970911
Also forgot to attach file
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.