[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How should one interpret this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 1455350660266.jpg (122 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
1455350660266.jpg
122 KB, 600x840
How should one interpret this book?
>>
this board does not deserve to talk about this book. You people are just a bunch of disgusting teenagers spouting "don't over analyze it dude... ABSURDISM!!". I despise all of you

>>7967034
Meursault is the second coming of the Christ. Without any heroism, he accepts to die for the truth
>>
>>7967043
It's literally just LMAO absurdism.
>Meursault is the second coming of the Christ. Without any heroism, he accepts to die for the truth
Kek.
>>
>>7967043
If anything it's a reinterpretation of Christ, not the second coming.
>>
>>7967043
>ABSURDISM
In the end, wasn't Meursault's life absurd though?

>he accepts to die for the truth
I don't think so. He accepts to die because only death is meaningful.
>>
File: well i'll be darned.jpg (115 KB, 388x388) Image search: [Google]
well i'll be darned.jpg
115 KB, 388x388
>tell me how to feel about this
>>
File: imgres.jpg (5 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
5 KB, 299x168
>>7967043
keku keku.
>>
>>7967043
>Meursault is the second coming of the Christ
Except maybe that whole murder part.
>>
File: 1459982807697.png (26 KB, 889x737) Image search: [Google]
1459982807697.png
26 KB, 889x737
>muh edgyness
>le strange feelings
>le I'm a special snowflake
>>
>>7967815
>Replies: 9/ Images: 3 / Posters: 1 / Page: 1

nice one
>>
Books with a 'hidden' point are ridiculous.
>>
>>7967847
are you completely retarded? Any book worthy of respect have some kind of hidden sense to it and is subject to many different analysis you utter spastic
>>
>>7967034

Make sure to at least fake a tear when your mother dies or else the world will want to watch you burn.
>>
>>7967989
And if you kill a man, don't tell he jury that the sun made you do it.
>>
Mersault is a bum, and you should try to not be like him. Also, he completely submits to the absurd. If he was a real absurdist he wouldn't have shot the Arab, he would have done everything to prevent his death, and he wouldn't have submitted to death willingly but unhappily.
>>
>>7968941
>he would have done everything to prevent his death
Why would an absurdist do that?
>>
>>7967034
You don't.
Did you not read it fampai?
>>
If the sun shines in your eyes, shoot the fucking muslim.
>>
You can't interpret what the book really means, you're not the author, and the only way to know comes if the autor actually says the real meaning.
Just stick to your own interpretation.
>>
>>7968951
Absurdists aren't supposed to willingly die. Even though his life was basically pointless and trying to evade execution was entirely futile, Mersault should have fought to the end to try and stop his execution. Letting himself be killed is essentially suicide. Death is only not bad when you've done everything you possibly could to combat it--died as unwillingly as possible--and have lived a meaningful life. Otherwise allowing your death is submitting to the absurd while an absurd rebels against the absurd.
>>
>>7972338
Should an absurdist always rebel against the absurd or is that just Camus' definition?
Can't you be an absurdist without doing so?
>>
>>7972373
Would be rather absurd if you couldn't do whatever you wanted.
>>
>le just be happy
>t. good looking rich french dude
>>
>>7972373
I suppose you could recognize the absurd and not always rebel against it. But Camus created absurdism, and rebelling against the absurd seems so crucial to his philosophy that the idea of not rebelling against it might be too divergent of a philosophy to still be called absurdism.
>>
>>7972433
I always thought Camus' obsession with rebellion was essentially due to the political climate at the time
>>
Hey I've just read this book, what should I read next that goes in the same line?
>>
>>7972463
Existentialism is pleb tier.

Finnegans Wake
>>
File: Don't mind me....jpg (36 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
Don't mind me....jpg
36 KB, 600x480
>>
This book was never meant to be interpreted by normies, if u dont get it just put it down and go hang out with ur gf

>>7972463
finish Camus obviously
>>
>>7972480
I don't think I'll understand that. From the description it sounds too complicated.
>>
>>7972480
That's faux patrician tier
>>
>>7972411
What's not to love?
>>
>>7967034
>How should one interpret this book?
Non-whites = shit
>>
>>7972813
>From the description it sounds too complicated.

kek
>>
>>7967034
just wear shades
>>
life is meaningless we should kill ourlselves
>>
Society is afraid of people who act in a way that they see unacceptable. When given the chance, society will eliminate these anomalies.
>>
we should inform other people and inform them how absurd the fundemental nature of existence is and take comfort in each others discomfort and rebel against what is expected of us
>>
>>7967034
You should interpret it through the lens of Camus' other works and essays. I would recommend starting at "The Myth of Sisyphus" and maybe also looking about the one about suicide.

The short version is a romantic society makes truth a stranger. Meursault spends the whole first part of the book smoking cigarettes and humping his girlfriend, which are things he likes. When his mother dies and he doesn't think it's very meaningful in a practical sense--to him it's one day she was there and one day she wasn't--society thinks he's a monster and does something to him that is extremely practically meaningful--kill him. Meursault is a critique of existentialism.
>>
>>7974330
upvote (You)
>>
File: 4L_NqMtms4G.jpg (151 KB, 992x880) Image search: [Google]
4L_NqMtms4G.jpg
151 KB, 992x880
>>7967034
>should
>>
>>7974578
Actually, Camus argues that one can commit suicide if they really wish to, but in the face of the sheer absurdity of the universe, one should instead hold tight to the pillars of love and creativity.

Read The Rebel.
>>
Raymond might have been a pimp after all.
>>
>>7972451
That's definitely why Camus was so concerned with rebellion, but I don't think that renders it any less central to absurdism
>>
>>7975048
Is absurdism spooky?
Is there any philosophy at all compatible with Stirner's?
>>
>>7974596
Society doesn't like the fact that Meursault had no purpose. They are afraid of chaos.
>>
>>7972338
>Death is only not bad when you've done everything you possibly could to combat it--died as unwillingly as possible--and have lived a meaningful life.
this is what 20 yo hedonists believe
>>
>>7967847
Do you prefer it when the books you read have the meanings spelled out in big letters, and easy to digest

Cuz if so I know of an author named John Green that'll be perf for you
>>
>>7977795
and they're not wrong, if you took anything away from the book it's that the only thing that's certain is death and there's no point in hoping to avoid it
>>
>>7977772
This is a lot closer (and it's certainly true), but Camus wasn't writing specifically about the problems with society. Society is part of the absurdity that human beings are forced to deal with from day to day; this absurdity can be seen in other places. The book is about how Meursault deals with that absurdity, as well as (to a certain extent) how that absurdity deals with Meursault. In other words, Meursault deals with society by recognizing that he has no purpose & is chaotic, and society deals with Meursault by ultimately killing him, as they are afraid of chaos.
>>
>>7967807
underrated
>>
How long is this book? I found a pdf online that has 63 pages but I don't know if its the full version.
>>
>>7967053
he accepts to die because he can't change it and the imminent death gives him meaning
>>
>>7978185
It's quite short.
>>
>>7972463
Read La Mort Heureuse, it's the unpublished predecessor to L'etranger and gives a lot of insight into Camus' thoughts on a Lucid Death
>>
In the beginning, Mersault feels alienated from his surroundings and fellow people. He revels in the simple pleasures of living and seeks no "higher purpose", choosing instead what Camus' calls (in L'Envers et L'Endroit) a "philosophy of the body" as opposed to a "philosophy of the mind". The sheer strength of his surroundings drive him to act the way he does on the beach. It his his body driving his will as opposed to his mind. The idea of the ending is that he accepts no consolations and does not commit "philosophical suicide" by blindly accepting religion. He dies lucidly. The idea of a "conscious death" or a "lucid death", and the way they lead to a conscious or lucid experience of life is a subject Camus turned over in his mind endlessly throughout his early to mid twenties.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.