[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is wheel of time worth the investment?which is shittier, wheel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: cover.jpg (46 KB, 450x680) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
46 KB, 450x680
Is wheel of time worth the investment?which is shittier, wheel of time or a song of ice and fire?
>>
>>7963210

Wheel of Time without a doubt

I enjoyed ASOIAF but if you want the most Tolkien derivative shit then go and read WOT. ASOIAF has that problem too but not as bad as WOT, first book is basically a complete plagiarism of Fellowship.
>>
>>7963215
Did you actually finish the series though? I'm half way through and I don't think I'm going to stop. He's just losing control of the characters and the women piss me off.
>>
>>7963224

I only read the first WOT book and didn't really feel compelled to read the second one.
>>
>>7963210
>Is wheel of time worth the investment?
No
>which is shittier, wheel of time or a song of ice and fire?
that is like asking
>would you rather be killed by lions or bears?
>>
>>7963224
It's way too long to be work finishing. If I was the publisher I'd be trying to cut the entire thing down to seven books max and re-release it.
>>
>>7963246
I've just come too far. I need closure that doesn't involve reading wiki spoilers.
>>
>>7963259
Snape kills Dumbledore
>>
>idyllic holiday in a rural area
>a boy and his uncle
>dark riders on the road

I dropped part 1 after ten pages. It's a LotR rip off.
>>
>>7963263
I know egwene dies. Throw them all at me. My friend is a total faggot and loves to lord it over me that he finished it a while back.
>>7963270
It was his alleged dad but I can see the comparison. After a while it really starts to do its own thing though. The classic fantasy element is still there to an extent, but it definitely is more expansive with the dichotomy of magic. Some people probably hated it though.
>>
>>7963210
Finished the 9th book (Winter's Heart) literally 10 minutes ago.

Because it's such a large world being described and so many different people and places involved, there's chapters that can be a bit tedious and confusing. So far every book has introduced new characters, nations and peoples, forming such a tangle that you sometimes lose the main narrative out of sight for a bit. If you are able to get through that and don't mind the writer elaborating a lot on all kinds of ancillary matters, and you generally enjoy reading the kind of fantasy epics like LotR and ASOIAF, I'd definitely say: give it a shot. It takes a while before the story takes off, but once it does, it gets better and better because there's so many (historical) details, and the 'magic system' that is so incredibly well developed.

Also, be prepared for
>smoothing skirts
>Rand knowing all about women
>Perrin knowing all about women
>Matt knowing all about women
>Men being brainless
>Women being incomprehensible
>More skirt smoothing
>>
>>7963660
I forgot to mention:

Compared to ASOIAF I think it's a lot more gentle, for a more youthful audience I'd say especially the first few books. It does get a bit 'rougher' later on (tickling/cuddling does become sex a bit more clearly later on), but in terms of detailed descriptions of violence and erotics ASOIAF definitely wins. Regarding competition between different houses and the intrigue that comes with it, and the more political side of the story in general, I think ASOIAF does a more elaborate job as well. However, the narrative is at least as interesting, and because of the aforementioned detailed history and 'magic system', I'd personally prefer Wheel of Time in terms of storytelling.
>>
I read the series last year.

I enjoyed it.

It's easy to skip over some of the more boring chapters.

It's worth it for Mat, and even though I don't like Sanderson he did a good job with the last book.
>>
>>7963705
Mat is fucking goat.
>>
I think it's worth reading. The books are long but easy and fast, so it's nice to read a volume in between serious works.
>>
>>7963224
>I'm half way through and I don't think I'm going to stop
The middle is by far the worst bit. The last few books are better but if you don't feel like finishing it then don't
>>
The first few books are good. The last ones are great. The middle ones suck ass.

t. WoT Fanatic.
>>
>>7963224
Fortunately the author died and a more competent writer finished it off.

I still haven't finished it because I can't bear to slog through those middle books.
>>
>>7963660
>anon whistles lowly
By the Light you really hit the head on the iron.
>>
File: flame of tar valon.jpg (122 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
flame of tar valon.jpg
122 KB, 500x625
>>7963705
Not sure how I feel about Sanderson taking over the notes Jordan left behind and finishing the saga. When I started reading book 12 I thought that the change of pace was a breath of fresh air, as Jordan spent too much time with needless details and introducing characters that were seemingly important but then thoroughly forgotten several books later. So yeah, Sanderson seemed like he knew what he was doing. But then I got to the last book and it felt as if he was just rushing through the plot in order to get the whole thing finished already, which left me with a bitter feeling towards the whole story.

One thing about the last book that confuses me, in terms of Sanderson's prows as a writer, is Egwene's death, the whole scene where she's fighting Moridin and channelling the anti-bale fire. I'm still not sure whether the way Sanderson described that weave and the way it was linked to the name of the Amyrlin, 'the flame of Tar Valon', was something he came up with or whether Jordan had always intended there was a connection between that particular weave and the name of the Aes Sedai ruler. I'm more inclined to go with the latter.
>>
>>7963814
I like to imagine Jordan had long threads he wanted to tie together from first to last. But also I invested the time in reading them all, so of course I'd believe this.
>>
>>7963244
Lions. They suffocate you before they eat you, bears just rip you open while you are alive. So which is it, SoIaF or WoT?
>>
>>7963210
I enjoyed it a lot. I listened to the audio book. Twice.
>>
>>7963918
Yeah the voice over was well done. The male female duo served well to break up any monotony.
>>
>>7963814

Sanderson's climaxes are always rushed, that's why he's such a shitter.

It could've been much, much, worse, just look at the last section of book 2 in the Stormlight Archive.

Now THAT'S rushing.
>>
>>7963918
How many hours of listening would that be? I personally never really understood how somebody who enjoys reading (especially these kinds of stories) manages to get through an audiobook without getting incredibly impatient or bored. When I was a kid it was always either the dyslexic kids or the ones too thick to actually go through the trouble of reading it themselves that would listen to audiobooks.
>>
File: 1333634891909.jpg (99 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
1333634891909.jpg
99 KB, 500x641
>>7965148
>I personally never really understood how somebody who enjoys reading (especially these kinds of stories) manages to get through an audiobook without getting incredibly impatient or bored.

As someone who has read plenty of books and also listened to another plenty, i can tell you a thing or two about them.

>getting impatient
Not sure why would you say this, unless you read at a pretty quick pace, since AB are mostly read(the ones i listened to, at least) at a pretty nice pace to avoid getting lost too easily or something.

>bored
That depends on the book itself, actually. If it's not interesting enough for you to keep your attention at it, it's not a book for you.

Either way, since you can listen to them while doing other things that don't really need a lot of attention, like daily chores or going from one place to the other, you can "optimize" your book reading that way, getting through more books at any given time. This was a God-send to me, since i'm a poorfag and plenty of the books i wanted to go through weren't available to me, though i'm planning on getting the ones i liked the most eventually on physical form(i ordered this weekend the Foundation Trilogy to start my own book collection); and also because i can't for the life of me find it comfortable to read while sitting, and most of the time when i read in my bed, i would get sleepy 10-15 minutes in, if not earlier(working on it now, tho, i read these two days close to 100 pages of the Iliad, which i finished half an hour ago).

The only downsides there are is that you'll find it harder to go back to re-read a certain part, and that sometimes you'll miss on what's happening either around you or in the book if you lose focus. There's also the fact that they're kinda hard to get a lot of times because either the reader/audio quality is shit, or the availability on mostly torrent form only is a wall when downloading them.

>inb4 audiobookbay
You need a credit card for direct downloads in there.
>>
>>7965279
Thanks a lot, I am a bit ignorant when it comes to audio books as you can see. I do read at a very quick pace yes, probably explaining why I used to get bored. Reading all this I think I should give it another go however. I might actually try a chapter of WoT when on the road for longer than half an hour to see if it's something I should do more often.

To be fair, I do usually read before I go to sleep as well. I have trouble falling asleep when I am not able to read first, so I actually have to read for at least half an hour before I feel sleepy enough.
>>
>>7965279
>>7965337

I worked a data entry job for 14 months and listened to the entire series on audiobook. If you've got the time to do so, I think it'd be less tedious than slogging through the boring sections of the novels.
>>
>>7963210
I've read all the ASOIAF out so far and I'm on book 9 of WOT right now. Gotta say I like ASOIAF better, but wheel of time is pretty solid. Maybe a bit slower and longer than ASOIAF, but it's not bad.
>>
>>7965484
Not that guy, but where did you find the audiobooks? I kinda want to add them to my backlog.
>>
>>7963244
>would you rather be killed by lions or bears?
Tigers.
>>
>>7963215
>first book is basically a complete plagiarism of Fellowship
Heh, I guess you didn't read the first Shannara book.
>>
>>7965523
Dude, just go to thepirayebay
>>
>>7965568
Nell Tiger Free.
>>
Should I start Kingkiller, WoT, read past the first Book of the New Sun book or get into the Black Company books
>>
>>7965755
skip all of them and read a tale from the malazan book of the fallen series
>>
>>7963660
Not mentioning
>braid pulling.
>>
>>7965981
karsa is that you?
>>
>>7966116
I wish

>tfw no giant flint sword to kill gods with
>>
currently on book 11 of wheel of time. this is the last one robert jordan wrote. im pretty apprehensive about the last 3 but ive enjoyed every single book in this series despite what i had heard about the middle books and later ones before sanderson.

i bought all 14 of them at the same time and the prequel which ill read at the end. i just sort of dove in and never looked back.
>>
File: bag.jpg (169 KB, 1080x747) Image search: [Google]
bag.jpg
169 KB, 1080x747
>>7963210
how about "Bag of dicks"?
>>
>>7966174
The last three have a refreshingly brisk pace. Shit, the very last book is literally one long battle scene.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.