[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ SciFi and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: 1449692739392.jpg (317 KB, 900x554) Image search: [Google]
1449692739392.jpg
317 KB, 900x554
>Gay Rape and Incest Edition

Recommendation Charts:
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg (embed)
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg (embed)
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg (embed)
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg (embed)
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg (embed)

Previous thread: >>7952258

>What is the best Asian inspired fantasy?
>>
>>7963174
Bridge of Birds.
>>
Shit, I was about to make a new one myself.

Why am I enjoying the two Foundation sequels so much more than the original trilogy? Is it because it follows one specific story, and one cast of characters throughout all events?
I was surprised at how enthralled I became reading Foundation's Edge, and I'm still in the first bits of Foundation and Earth but greatly enjoy it. For some reason, I love the chemistry and interaction between Pelorat and Trevize.
>>
>>What is the best Asian inspired fantasy?
I liked the Empire trilogy by Feist and Wurts.
>>
What's Krait's secret?
>>
reading Don Quixote and I actually want to get some chivalrous adventure now. So what's a great fiction about a knight and his adventures?
>>
>>7963208
Dunk and Egg
>>
>>7963208
The Once And Future King

with extra feels
>>
>>7963191

Only read Foundation and Empire but I didn't really feel like Foundation picked up until Mallow's trial happened and that was towards the end, I don't mind how much of the book was world building and introducing us to the universe. Foundation and Empire is much better but the only thing I didn't enjoy was how they just found Magnifico and he turned out being incredibly important both to them and The Mule, haven't read Second Foundation yet.
>>
>>7963216
>>7963220
Thanks. I'll be sure to pick one of these when I finish Quixote
>>
>>7963174
>What is the best Asian inspired fantasy?
Books of Stone & Water by Daniel Fox
>>
>>7963174
I dunno about best. About all I read that even qualifies is Under Heaven and the Braided Path, both of which were alright I suppose.
>>
>>7963281
What's with all the good Asian SFF written by white guys? It'd be like if Eddison or Dunsany had been Japanese.
>>
>>7963342
There are probably some good Jap or Chink writers but they write in Japanese or Chinky and don't get translated, or do but are unknown in the west.
>>
What would /sffg/ think about a story that is a genuine adventure in which you as the reader explore the universe together with the protagonists.

The story starts when Mc1's master disappears into a sprawling ancient city that has since been occupied by a mysterious Ruler and his people. Mc2 is this master and we explore her motives and insight into these city's inhabitants and their ruler, whom they see as some sort of god king.
Mc3 is a person with unclear origins but it's implied and eventually revealed to be a diogene. The diogenes are artificially made beings out of this ruler (who is secretly dead but a shadowy organization uses the diogenes as puppets to control the city in the name of this ruler.) This organization seeks to restore humankind to their former glory and conquer the stars, without knowing why the now-dead ruler settled on this planet in the first place.
The story starts as medieval fantasy but as we progress, it goes more and more into sci-fi territory. The diogenes, children of god become clones of him, the ancient city is revealed to be the ship upon which the Rules arrived on the planet. The city also has some cyberpunk elements such as drug addiction, a degenerate and uncaring society, body alterations and a dark and maddening mood about it.
I plan to have it as a trilogy. In book 1 we are introduced to the world and it's dualistic nature (those inside the city and those outside), the 3 main characters, their motives and the decaying state of the world. The reader will discover the diogenes, the truth about the ruler and its body, the secrets of the city and towards the end the secret organization is introduced and it's taking control of the city after certain events throughout the book. Book 1 has a bad ending.

Book 2 starts with the organization, now a ruling government, and a montage of it taking control over the world through various means, and forwarding their plans. We learn of their motive and the reader might ever align with their ideals. The dead ruler is resurrected towards the end of the book. The book ends with the utter destruction of the ruling government. Good ending.

In book 3, the revived ruler becomes Mc4. We explore his motives, history and the reason he settled on this world and never went further. Most characters, both main and side, die, but for many more life becomes better. The ending is intentionally ambiguous: should we stay on our world, cherish it as our only and true home, with all its goods and bads, or should we venture into the unknown of space, potentially triggering our downfall.

I want to explore several themes: degradation of society as a bi product of technological growth, free will, the unknown, parenthood, good vs evil and the origins of evil, love as a pure connection between intelligences.

This is a massive undertaking of mine but know that I'm taking as much time as I need to make it worthwhile.
>>
>>7961551 #
I think once it's not the protagonist, Sanderson would let any of the "loose" characters engage in premarital sex .
>>
>>7962402 #
>my taste is the basis that the world should use as a template
>>
Hobb is pretty shit.

Why do women write again?
>>
>>7963869
AA was good.

The series goes downhill from there though
>>
Name the 5 best female fantasy authors and tell me why they aren't fucking shit.
>>
Finished The Wise Man's Fear.
No idea what to read now, loved Mistborn & Stormlight Archives, any recommendations?
>>
>>7963869
hobb is fucking great
>>7963892
what did you think of it? i think i enjoyed reading it, but the more i reflect on it the more i really dislike it.
the farseer trilogy is probably something you'll enjoy a lot
>>
>>7963892
Scott Lynch
>>
>>7963886
Really? I thought the first book was really weak.
>>
>>7963902
>hobb is fucking great
>Le just repeat Reddit opinion
>>
>>7963902
>what did you think of it?

I don't know yet, I want to read the next book if it will ever come out, I tried the short one about Auri but I couldn't stand it for more than 60 pages.

It's the magic I love about those books, I'll look into the farseer trilogy
>>
>>7963914
>Scott Lynch
Not sure if male or female.
>>
>>7963902

Why are you recommending a female author to someone?
Or is this just new bait that I haven't picked up on
>>
>>7963200
It is that we are just like you, you are just like us. (We're only human.)

Ever see fear of a black hat, a rapsploitation movie? Those lyrics could apply here, too.
>>
File: female authors.jpg (708 KB, 1140x1488) Image search: [Google]
female authors.jpg
708 KB, 1140x1488
>>7963889
We literally have a chart for this
>>
>>7963919
It's bait, Hobb is a known Reddit pick for SJW "literature"
>>
File: 1461481094212.jpg (60 KB, 593x340) Image search: [Google]
1461481094212.jpg
60 KB, 593x340
What could it be?
>>
>>7963931
>that frankenstein cover
im allergic to any edition or any book with this specific cover.
any other sffg charts not counting the ones mentioned in op?
>>
>>7963931

But there aren't any good books on that chart
>>
>>7963886
Only thing of her I've read. I remember the ending being a trainwreck.
>>
File: Screenshot_238.png (9 KB, 80x92) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_238.png
9 KB, 80x92
>>7963932
>>7963919
>>7963912
not everyone is a pathetic, joyless cynic like you
>>7963914
its kind of angry to think about how he's probably really proud of auri as a character. i literally cant think of a single original character from the books honestly. maybe tempi?
>mfw 3+ whole chapters about how kvothe becomes the kung fu master of sex after fucking a gullible, hot fairy
really embarrassing tbqh
>>
>>7963952

Auri is original and I do like her but I don't like reading a hundred pages about her in a row.

And what's embarrassing about the fae thing and the kung fu thing?
It was quite cool and fitting for the character
>>
>>7963892
Wheel of Time, Farseer, and while pretty despised on this board, asoiaf has some great characters and arcs
>>
>>7963964

Yes thank you, I have read asoiaf and I am waiting for the next book in that series.
>>
>>7963957
uhhhhhhh......bye lol
>>
>>7963931
>Reccomending racists and child abusers
>>
>>7963989
>conflating the personal life of a writer with the quality of the work
I bet you hate Lovecraft too
>>
>>7964013
what did he do that was sketchy?
>>
There was a fantasy book, I think it was written by a grill since we're on this topic. It was about dragons but it's revealed that dragons are like, jet fighters, like battle planes, shit like that. But alive.

I can't remember the title, author name, anything to save my life, I thought /sffg/ would helo
>>
>>7964038
Lovecraft did not like blacks
>>
>>7963226
> the only thing I didn't enjoy was how they just found Magnifico and he turned out being incredibly important both to them and The Mule

Did you actually finish FaE?
>>
>>7964091
That's a positive thing though

Speaking of, it pains me to read a book, fiction or fantasy or whatever, where women are portrayed unrealistically, smart, bold, loyal, probably some other adjectives I can't think of right now, I can only suspend my disbelief for so long
>>
>>7964091
is that it? big deal
>>
>>7964107
its annoying for women as well
>>
>>7964066
I feel like I've read that one, but I can't place it either :(
>>
>>7964107
I guess most fantasy is disqualified for you
>>
>>7964112

Could be, but when you're reading about a man, he can be literally anything, feminine, masculine, anything in between, it's just not the same for females, granted you may have a smart masculine women but she won't be a woman in the strictest sense yet they are always portrayed as such even if the variables are contradictory
>>
>>7964132
yeah, i really really hate this. its like inadvertently pretty sexist
>>
>>7964145
>>7964132

The closest thing that pops to my mind is the woman from "Picnic at Hanging Rock" movie, I haven't read the book so I can't comment if it's the same or similar, but there was one smart masculine woman, that was ok, because she was just that, masculine.
>>
File: Its_your_own_fault_really.jpg (2 MB, 900x5476) Image search: [Google]
Its_your_own_fault_really.jpg
2 MB, 900x5476
>>7963940
Just this one, and the one OP was too lazy to feature as it's quite relevant. Am I forgetting any others?
>>
Is diverse fantasy, better fantasy?

http://fantasy-faction.com/2016/diverse-fantasy-is-better-fantasy
>>
>>7964163
Why are you posting a corrupted image?
>>
>>7964198

no.
>>
>>7964163
>retarded gender chart
A chart should have just good books, not be limited by some arbitrary feminist SJW standard.
>>
>>7964163

>THE RIGHT TO ARM BEARS
>What do bears do in the woods...?

oh god why
>>
>>7964219
This.

Women can't write for shit either way
>>
>>7964198
It depends; a variety of different viewpoints is good, but talent is down to individuals, not demographics.
>>
>>7964198
not 'better', but good. there are a lot of people in the world and its probably sad and lame to never see yourself represented
>>7964219
>books for women
>"arbitrary feminist sjw standard"
why? why is wanting to read books in a male-dominated genre by people who are more sensitive to and have more insight into what it's like to be a woman and what women want to read and generally write better female characters considered "sjw" now? the term has completely lost all meaning. by the way, there are already a FUCKTON of "good books" charts
>>
so much low quality shitposting eh
>>
>>7964245
>why? why is wanting to read books in a male-dominated genre by people who are more sensitive to and have more insight into what it's like to be a woman and what women want to read and generally write better female characters considered "sjw" now

There are tons of romance novels around, I don't see why they should be here
>>
>>7964273
this may come as a major surprise to you, but some women actually want to read books that arent of the romance genre, and that includes both science fiction and fantasy.
>>
>>7964280

That may be, but they don't want science fiction and fantasy as you put it, they want science fiction for women and fantasy for women.
Those don't seem to be the same genres.
>>
>>7964292
a lot of women read trash, as evidenced by 50 shades and twilight being bestsellers, but speaking as a lady who is a big fan of the fantasy genre, i do get really tired of female characters that are just so obviously written by some nerd who's had very limited contact with women in general.
by the way, if it's got a scifi or fantasy setting, its a fucking scifi/fantasy book. it might be a romance one, but thats still a subgenre. like cyberpunk or urban fantasy.
>>
>>7964306
>i do get really tired of female characters that are just so obviously written by some nerd who's had very limited contact with women in general.

Then don't read books by those authors if you can't stand them
>>
>>7964306
But it's piss easy to write women. You just think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.
>>
>>7964367
wow, you really have an answer for everything huh.
those books usually have a cool setting or storyline, its just the female characters in particular that let them down. i didnt say they had no redeeming factors or that i "can't stand them", just that i find it irksome and wish it would fuck off for good.
>>
>>7964376
oscar wilde? i didnt know you browsed /lit/
>>
>>7964386

Describe a female character that would be perfect for you to read.
>>
>>7963931
>No Dianne Wynne Jones
What the fuck is this chart?
>>
>>7964386
then write your own books and quitcherbitchin
>>
>>7964396
Haven't read anything of hers besides Tough Guide To Fantasyland, which is admittedly great. What would you add?
>>
>>7964386

So you come to a male dominated field in a male dominated genre and you start bitching how things are not how they should be in your opinion and that obviously, everyone should conform to your ideals of what this genre should be like.
Why do you think you are qualified?
What makes you so special?
>>
>>7964410
No one actually said that though, from what I gather anon just wants more different kinds of SFF, not a switch from "only X" to "only Y".
>>
>>7964419

What I want is for fantasy novels to have proper female characters, I do not want good fantasy books ruined with improper female characters either because women urge the author to do so, or the author genuinely has no idea how women really are like.

The push for strong women has poisoned the well so far that you can't even write a female character that is stupid, because it would be misogynistic to do so.

If the female wants to take part in male activities in a male dominated genre then she should do it, instead of bitching about it.
The alternative is, of course, creating a new subgenre, science fiction for women. Fantasy for women.
>>
>>7964393
not an empty vessel to serve as the protagonist's love interest e.g "she was the most beautiful woman i've ever seen" with no mention of her character beyond her being "kind" or something equally banal and having her be romantically involved with his arch nemesis or something. conversely, not some kind of superwoman so overloaded with 'good' qualities that she's completely unrealistic and unrelatable. GIVING A WOMAN A TON OF POSITIVE CHARACTER TRAITS DOESNT MAKE HER A COMPLEX OR INTERESTING CHARACTER. AAAAHHH. why would anyone want to read about some badass, attractive, witty genius who is never in the wrong, has no room for character development and serves as some kind of misguided attempt to appeal to feminists. fucking insufferable tbqh.
basically, what would be nice is the character having the same nuances and background and motives as any good male character. there was a thread on here earlier about trickster females in literature, and it soon became known that there are really hardly any. she can be a fucking conniving bitch for all i care, as long as she's interesting!!
>>7964398
cool. next time i go out to a restaurant with someone and they complain about the food, ill pass on this same advice. next time someone doesnt like a film they saw, ill tell them to make one themselves. thanks a ton anon!!
for the record though, i plan to
>>
>>7964430
>for the record though, i plan to

go ahead, just don't publish it.
>>
>gay rape

So...The Sparrow?

>go to Rakhat
>get raped
>>
>>7964410
are you illiterate anon?
i would assume that male authors would want to write better, less transparent characters anyway. i never demanded anything of anyone, i was just venting about something very prominent in sff that i cant stand and that in an ideal world for me would be remedied. when the fuck did i say that everyone should conform to my ideals? are you an actual retard mate?
is wanting to have good, believable characters really such a fucking controversial opinion on this board?
>what makes you qualified
what makes me qualified to have an opinion on the books i read? are you serious? can you please quote me wherever i even implied that my opinion should be the be all end all on all fantasy literature from now on?
>>
>>7964430

So you want a male character with a female name and feminine pronouns?

You want an interesting woman, that is not realistic, so you do want to change a genre you are not part of, I suggest creating a genre for women, so you could write your fantasies and not ruin any good books with your imperfect thinking.
>>
>>7964430
Have their been any authors who got this right in your opinion? Tbqh the best female characters I've found were in historical fiction based on real people

>>7964434
Aw. Harsh.
>>
>>7964434
I'd actually love to see this Anon publish something, just to spurn all the overly sensitive basement dwellers getting uppity over having REALISTIC characters.
>>
>>7964204
It... isn't?
>>
File: b8.jpg (76 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
76 KB, 625x626
>>7964446
>>
>>7964219
It... it's just one category. Actually read the thing. I wanted a section with relatable female MCs written by a female. They aren't 5 star books by any means. I just thought they were interesting.
>>
>>7964446
why do you think women can't be interesting? genuinely quite curious
>>7964453
>the best female characters I've found were in historical fiction based on real people
yeah! and its not a coincidence that that was because they were based on real people.
austen's ladies are my favorite i think - nostalgia probably factors in there. they have their flaws definitely but are still charming and engaging and completely believable. in terms of fantasy, the grills in discworld are colorful and fun and great. alise and thymara from farseer i like a lot. asoiaf, although meme-tier literature, has some stellar female characters. its 8:30 in the morning and ive been up all night :(
>>
>>7964430
>cool. next time i go out to a restaurant with someone and wah wah wah bitch moan bitch bitch

i'm sure you'll write a bitchin' book, baby, ayyyyy
>>
>>7964525
you can be in it!!
>>
>>7964505
Have you tried Malazan? The female characters are quite varied there.
>>
What does /lit/ think of Alastair Renyolds?
>>
>>7963397
A-Anyone has any opinion?
>>
>>7964668
Only read Revelation Space and that was a while ago. I remember hmm digging the environment and factions way more than the actual plot elements. Will return to it at some point but on a Neal Asher mission.
>>
>>7964585
Felisin da bes.
>>
File: 1461347232263.gif (820 KB, 540x386) Image search: [Google]
1461347232263.gif
820 KB, 540x386
I'm getting sick of listening to podcasts while I grind in Black Desert, I want to listen to an audio book series.

What's a schlocky and simple, but good and fun, series that I can just tune out to?

I might do Harry Potter because I'd finally be able to follow a conversation about it, and books I don't like listening to actually good books. I feel like I miss details with audiobooks.
>>
>>7964585
I got up to the bonehunters a few years ago then gave up, should I start again? The chained god seemed like a cool dude
>>
>>7964718
Do you want actual recommendations for fun quality pulp or just trash?
>>
>>7964718
You know if you're ever gonna go full Dresden you're as well to to do in audiobook because the narrator redeems the prose a bit.
>>
>>7964679
I think last time we told you it sounds all right if you can pull it off.
>>
>>7963397
Sure I'd read some shit like that.
>>
>>7963174
Started The Phoenix Exultant (Golden Age, #2)
How is it? Seen that Sebastian hated the last one, how will I fare with this one and after it should I carry?
Also reading In Green's Jungles which is really a joy to read, Wolfe hit the note of a nice novel and serious at the same time the best I've read thus far. It's still not 5th Head, New Sun or Island of Doctor Death, but it's almost there.
>>
>>7964722
Actual fun pulp, don't take Harry Potter as a level of quality I'm expecting.

Just things that I can maybe miss a few paragraphs of every once and a while but still follow.
>>
>>7964718
HP is shit

Just read Alanna: the first adventure or The tough guide to fantasy land
The first is really simple.

The 2nd is really funny and also quite simple.

>>7964742
Alanna: the first adventure or Homeland
>>
>>7964742
Did you read Amber Cronicle by Zelazny? Audiobooks are read by him in person.
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser and thus far 1st Golden Age are what I'd recommend as quality entertainment.
>>
File: 1439335899901.jpg (43 KB, 446x456) Image search: [Google]
1439335899901.jpg
43 KB, 446x456
>I take a deep breath.
>'We need two things to qupt to the Planck brane.
>One: matter that is entangled with something over there. That will have to be your department. By the sound of it, the Spooky-zoku have something like it.
>Two: we need a modulated gravitational wave source. We are made of stuff that is stuck on this brane, but gravity sees the higher bulk dimensions.
>Make a big enough bang and its gravitational echo will carry there.

Anyone else Hannu Rajeinimi?
>>
>>7964245
>why is wanting to read books in a male-dominated genre by people who are more sensitive to and have more insight into what it's like to be a woman and what women want to read and generally write better female characters considered "sjw" now?
I bet you ask the one black guy in your class what black people think of things.
>>
>>7964741
>Sebastian
Literally who? Phoenix Exultant was great though.
>>
>>7964778
You don't visit goodreads threads obviously
>>
>>7964786
Yes because I am not a faggot.
>>
>>7964788
You are, but that's unrelated
>>
File: 1453422408704.gif (995 KB, 257x194) Image search: [Google]
1453422408704.gif
995 KB, 257x194
>>7964746
>>7964750
>HP is shit
Oh I know, I'm making this post because I want somebody to save me from Harry Potter and give me something better to listen to.

I'll check out Alanna first because it's short and I like cute Mulan-style stories with tomboys.

Will check out Chronicles of Amber next.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>7964505

Because female are vain and shallow, it's as simple as that.
It takes very little guesswork to know things about a female, or to get a general understanding of one.
>>
What's some entertaining right-wing libertarian sci-fi? I'm not one myself, but the aesthetic is just so silly that I wanna indulge in it.

No rand pls.
>>
File: WoR_SKETCHBOOK-VEIL_fmt.jpg (325 KB, 1376x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_SKETCHBOOK-VEIL_fmt.jpg
325 KB, 1376x2048
>>7964668
Balls hard.
>>
>>7964965
John C. Wright, the Golden Age trilogy. Future libertarian utopia where captains of industry ignite Jupiter and build a ring around the Sun. You can put yourself in an ultra-high-gravity body and visit the sunring, but evening dress is prohibited there. Also in his currently unfinished Count to the Eschaton he has a libertarian using psychohistory, but that was written when he was less libertarian and more Catholic.
>>
File: Operation_Misfit.jpg (46 KB, 323x499) Image search: [Google]
Operation_Misfit.jpg
46 KB, 323x499
>>7964965
I've mentioned this one before (it's in the pinata list) as a poor choice because I disliked the disorientingly quick pacing, but it definitely qualifies as right-wing libertarian sci-fi. There are 4 books in the series.
>>
All I want is more shit like Delany and Gene Wolfe. Anyone have recommendations?
>>
HOW FUCKING LONG DOES IT TAKE TO WRITE 500 PAGES

GOD DAMN IT

FUCKING WRITE FASTER ALREADY
>>
>>7963174
>gay rape and incest edition
>100 posts and no mention of bakker
what you doing /lit/? it smells of reddit here.
>>
>>7964965
http://lfs.org/awards.shtml
>>
>>7964965

the moon is a harsh mistress -heinlein
>>
any books that explore the effects of generations of inbreeding in royalty? could be fantasy or not. madness and genetic defects?
>>
can someone point me in the direction of a book/s similar to the game path of exile? like, the darkest of dark fantasy?
>>
>>7965058
>imgur links in op
>smells of reddit
gee ya think so?
>>
>>7965267
>imgur links in op
Would you care to suggest an alternate method of linking multiple images in the OP, senpai?
>>
Actually, weren't some of the charts previously linked to the wiki?
>>
File: 1461328118118.gif (1 MB, 268x274) Image search: [Google]
1461328118118.gif
1 MB, 268x274
>>7965064
>George Orwell
>>
>>7964965
The Unincorporated Man
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 292x241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 292x241
ROTHFUSS IS SHIT
SANDERSON IS ANIME
>>
>>7965658
Is it better to be shit or anime?
>>
>>7965040
M. John Harrison
>>
File: henri_cole_02-953.jpg (111 KB, 734x543) Image search: [Google]
henri_cole_02-953.jpg
111 KB, 734x543
>>7965726
Thanks! Getting them now.
>>
File: 1453615301954.png (166 KB, 645x580) Image search: [Google]
1453615301954.png
166 KB, 645x580
I don't understand retards who enjoy reading about female characters with love interests. It's like you're cucking yourself.

Recommend me some books /lit/, with a strong female protagonist who don't need no man.
>>
Alright friends I'm looking to start a new novel

It's either The Way of Kings, or The Lies of Locke Lamora. I am planning on reading both eventually, but for now I'd like to read the better of the two. Which is it?
>>
File: confession.png?w=640&h=361.png (155 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
confession.png?w=640&h=361.png
155 KB, 640x361
Are there any books written by a woman with a female protagonists with more than 90% females in it?
>>
>>7965852
You can get two out of three.
>>
>>7965791
Lies of Locke Lamora is a better novel by itself and is fun, but the series goes to shit afterwards which is a shame. Way of Kings is more serious and part of a much better series.
>>
File: Serpents_Reach.jpg (24 KB, 200x295) Image search: [Google]
Serpents_Reach.jpg
24 KB, 200x295
>>7965772
Cherryh usually has a strong female somewhere. Here's a protag for ya. Giant bugs bonus.
>>
>>7965908
Oh, and I don't know if it counts, but she does have a relationship with her slave. Another bonus, rules for made up dice game in appendix.
>>
>>7964393

Women can make good characters as long as they aren't called upon to perform violent and physically stringent acts, as this leads to Mary Sues.

When women rely on manipulation, politics, seduction, etc, to get things done then you can have a very interesting lead female (think lady macbeth).
>>
>>7965852
Cherryh's Pride of Chanur comes close. The protags are members of a race that don't allow their males into space. They consider them too emotionally volatile (hair-trigger aggressive).
>>
>>7965891
Thank you, I suppose it makes sense to read Lamora now and then read Stormlight as a series afterwards.
>>
>>7965962
>>7965908
Thanks anons.
>>
>look up Discworld in KAT after being recommended it last thread
>39 BOOKS
>THIRTY
>FUCKING
>NINE

Seriously, there's got to be a way to filter these.
>>
>>7966094
There's an infographic for them somewhere. Basically there are a lot of different plot threads and they're all pretty self-contained. Best IMO are Night Watch, Soul Music, Thief of Time, and maaaybe Small Gods, but I haven't read that one since I was 12.
>>
File: Pratchett guide.jpg (665 KB, 1440x2584) Image search: [Google]
Pratchett guide.jpg
665 KB, 1440x2584
>>7966094
>>7966105
Here ya go
>>
>>7966094
they're not exactly long, especially the early shit.
>>
>>7966164
Thanks m8, i thinki'll go with the Death Novels first, and then eventually skim through the rest.

In about a year or two.
>>
>>7966094
Just read Small Gods. That's the best of 'em, and there's no prerequisite.
>>
70 days until The Great Ordeal.

Get hyped /Sffg/
>>
File: matter.jpg (63 KB, 706x1080) Image search: [Google]
matter.jpg
63 KB, 706x1080
>>7965908
>>
File: hild_jacket.jpg (161 KB, 449x660) Image search: [Google]
hild_jacket.jpg
161 KB, 449x660
>>7965852
>>7965772
Hild by Nicola Griffith

it isn't 90% females but her primary relationships are with women.
there is a romance but it's a very minor subplot. romances annoy me and this one did not.
it is a fantastic book.
>>
>>7966286
Thankyou anon.
>>
Probably should have posted this here.
>>7966404

Anybody know anything like the Mars Trilogy? In terms of the consistent and realistic scifi and the way implications on society are considered. I remember The Moon is a Harsh Mistress felt a bit similar.
>>
File: 220px-Raptor-red.jpg (26 KB, 220x361) Image search: [Google]
220px-Raptor-red.jpg
26 KB, 220x361
>>7965058
For a minute there I thought you were referring to this Bakker and was a bit confused.
>>
>>7966435
'Spin' by Robert Charles Wilson had a similar vibe, but was a lot less drawn-out and tedious.
>>
File: cyberpunk.jpg (402 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk.jpg
402 KB, 1920x1080
>>7963174
>>7963174

>Scifi

would you count Cyberpunk in that category? Any good Cyberpunk books to recommend?
>>
>>7966573
>would you count Cyberpunk in that category?
yes
>Any good Cyberpunk books to recommend?
no
>>
File: 1321441994289.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1321441994289.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>7963931
No C.S Friedman?
>>
>>7966641
> C.S. Friedman
> man

Anyway, /lit/ whats your favorite rape scene? Gay scene? or incest scene in fantasy/SciFi ?

It's been a while since I've read a good rape.
>>
>almost finished with Deadhouse Gates
Not sure if I want to continue with the series or maybe start something else like Hobb.
>>
>>7966649
keep going

worth it for how fucking amazing his writing gets. say whatever you want about his characters or plot, but goddamn that mother fucker has orgasmic diction.
>>
>>7966649
finish it first. Then decide. ALso read the third book.

A series like Malazan comes once every century. It's required reading for every fantasy fan. It's so huge you will surely find stuff to like about it, even of some of it will be slogs.
>>
>>7966649
Hobb is boring as fuck, don't bother
>>
>>7966665
I was planning to finish it.

>It's so huge you will surely find stuff to like about it
Mostly Felisin being a sarcastic bitch is a pleasure to read.
"mind your fingers" to Heboric had me cracking up.
Iskaral is cool too.
>>
>>7966665
It's just astoundingly creative, and amazingly well written. Most sci fi and fantasy is just pulp fiction schlock these days, or just a knight fights a dragon story.

>>7966672
http://www.tor.com/2012/07/26/forge-of-darkness-prelude-and-chapter-one-excerpt/

link to the prelude of his latest malazan novel, if that doesn't hook you i don't know what will.

(it's a prequel, sorta, so no spoilers if you read it)
>>
>>7963892
What a horrible fucking book. I couldn't even find it at my used book store for months because they had filed it under fiction, not fantasy, because they were considering it a contemporary classic. People yammered on and on about how his prose is so beautiful and the Kvothe (Pronounced quothe because fuck you) is such a great, likeable character written with amazing voice. Yet it's the most trite, common drivel imaginable. His writing is bland, and unimaginative. His character are ridiculously unreal, and his attempts at wooing women or writing cool characters is the most neckbeardish shit I've ever read. Only a total autist could imagine the dialogue he wrote. If Kvothe weren't so clearly a self insert for the author, I'd be stuck asking how every woman in the story could want to fuck him so bad. I truly hate this book, I want back the hours I wasted reading it in the hopes that maybe it would get better. I still remember the horror, with 200 pages left, when I realized that none of the slightly interesting stuff mentioned at the beginning of the story would be featured in this book, and I still read on! I will never read Rothfuss again and I will never listen to advice given from people who like the awful generic fantasy titles. I love fantasy, I even like Malazan, but there is nothing redeemable about The Name of the Wind, Mistborn, The Wheel of Time, etc.
>>
>>7966773
I was so hyped for it to be good, too. The apocalyptic scenario set up in the intro seemed very interesting, plus a story like that told from flashbacks seemed fairly unique.

And then it was 2000 pages of wizard school and him scrounging for money to pay for wizard school.
>>
>>7966791
>2000 pages of wizard school and him scrounging for money to pay for wizard school
honestly i had no issue with that. thats not even nearly the worst thing about the book
>>
>>7966791
>>7966773
buut he's so kewl!! I mean, just look at his stylish red hair! and just how better his in than everyone else( if you find it annoying...don't, cuz this is a unreliable narrator and shit).

Still guys! I just love him, he is amazing!

(this is what plebs think)
>>
What makes a disgusting scene ( rape, torture etc) good? What is your favorite rape scene?
>>
>>7966835
I hate rape.
>>
>>7966847
>>7966835
triggered
>>
>>7966835
When Severian eats Thecla
>>
>>7966882
how is "triggered" and different from like deviantart scene kids circa 2007 running around sayaing "CHEESE xD". triggered XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>7966835
Same as any conflict, when its the resolution of rising tensions that have also been explored interestingly and have developed the characters involved.

Sara Douglass has her minotaur-reincarnated-as-Hitler rape someone (his sister?) somewhere, it was pretty good. I don't remember, haven't read it since I was a kid. It was probably trash like all fantasy
>>
So I almost finished Book 1 of WoT, The Eye Of The World.

Things I liked

>The varied cultures of the different places and countries they visit and how they interact
>things and events of the past alluded or implied but not outright explained
>the Lovecraftian atmosphere in that dead city

Things I didn't like :

>the main characters are a bunch of incompetent, whiny, bumbling imbeciles
>the author has some phrases he likes too fucking much, like "bread and cheese", the verb "tug" and that thing with the blood and the ashes
>the villain is so OP I don't see how they could ever possibly win or why they even try

Should I bother reading on? I can tolerate the prose, it's nothing spectacular but it's not purple tier by any means.
>>
>>7966814
Stop.
>>
>>7966913
*tugs braid*
*smooths skirt*
>>
>>7963397
>those inside the city and those outside
>good vs evil
While I generally like this, I also very much like the gray in between the black and white.

I'd read that story, tho.
>>
>>7966913
>the main characters are a bunch of incompetent, whiny, bumbling imbeciles
It stays that way until book 12 or so.

>the villain is so OP I don't see how they could ever possibly win or why they even try
By activating god mode. ;^)

>Should I bother reading on?
No
>>
Is Icarium a homage to the Hulk?
>>
>>7964066
Maybe the Temeraire series?

It's Napoleonic wars, but using dragons as essentially flying war ships
>>
>>7964719
Most people seem to fall off by book 1 or 2 but get hooked by book 3. If you didn't enjoy Memories of Ice, I'm not sure you should bother starting again.
That said, the series get better by the book imho.
>>
File: 1450234005506.jpg (410 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450234005506.jpg
410 KB, 1920x1080
Anyone know a good place to download fantasy/scifi .pdfs and epubs free?

I want to read more of the genres but the bookcovers are usually so fucking embarrassing that I don't want to buy a hardcopy of most of them

Seriously why are they usually so terrible
>>
>>7966943
>the bookcovers are usually so fucking embarrassing that I don't want to buy a hardcopy of most of them

This is some grade A fucking autism right here.
Buy the ebooks on Amazon.
>>
File: twok_map-4_warcamps-webres.jpg (319 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
twok_map-4_warcamps-webres.jpg
319 KB, 1200x795
Hey Malazanfags, someone spoil details about Icarium to me. Why was he always alluded to be some ridiculous strong motherfucker that could break everything at a whim? I only read up to book four so yeah.

>>7966943
There's a sticky for this. Lurk more, newfriend.
>>
>>7966943
mobilism.org (needs account nowadays for search, usually good quality epubs if they exist)

http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ - be sure to click "Non-Russian fiction" if your first search doesn't pick up anything. More stuff, but also more shoddy quality, more auto-converted PDFs with broken text/formatting
>>
File: 6764577ggu7.jpg (237 KB, 900x1240) Image search: [Google]
6764577ggu7.jpg
237 KB, 900x1240
More books like picture related please.

>cyberpunk
>drug abuse
>>
>>7967028
those sanderson war camps are the most retarded idea ever. You have to be mentally challenged as a commander to set them up like that.

A junior officer in the Roman or Greek armies would have more experience about commanding armies than all those "high lords" combined...Sanderson doesn't know shit about how war is fought, he doesn't even make an attempt to make it realistic.

as for Icarium, he is powered by the warren of shadow. When it was destroyed, part of it "embedded" itself into Icarium.
>>
>>7967060
The Windup Girl by a guy whose name I can't pronounce nor spell is an update of the genre (they call that "biopunk" now for some reason).
If you want more 80s/90s cheese, go for Snow Crash.
>>
>>7967070
The more contemporary the better fizzam.
>>
File: twok_map-5_kharbranth-webres.jpg (348 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
twok_map-5_kharbranth-webres.jpg
348 KB, 1200x795
>>7967062
They've turned into mini-cities over time. I believe they were far different once the war started.

>part of it "embedded" itself
That's it?
>>
>>7966699
>just a knight fights a dragon story.
Nobody writes that.
>>
>>7967074
Try Altered Carbon - it's hard boiled detective fiction in a cyberpunk setting, quite fun

You can also read Charles Stross in case you want to learn what Fremdscham feels like
>>
>>7967075
well, it's more complex about how and why...He is essentially part "warren" or whatever...don't remember the details.

Anyways, as someone interested in military stuff, there's nothing more immersion breaking than supposedly great generals and leaders having absolutely no clue what they are doing. I mean, many common soldiers would be better equipped in dealing with the parshendi for example, if you know anything about war and tactics, even as a dumb plebeian, you wouldn't make those atrocious mistakes the high lords made...

I mean, those bridges are retarded. literally they should have won the war years ago... Who knows, maybe Sanderson is trying to make a point about how absolutely incompetent they are, but I don't believe it.
>>
Isn't Icarium just the Malazan hulk?
>>
>>7967102
It's more likely he doesn't know how to write and didn't bother to read a 50 page chapter for research.
>>
>>7967092
Thanks. Any leads on futuristic drug abuse?
>>
>>7967102
>maybe Sanderson is trying to make a point about how absolutely incompetent they are, but I don't believe it.
He's been slathering that on thick since the beginning of WoT. I really can't believe you missed that.

And you really need more examples than that. What, you think the common soldiers would have changed up their caste-locked weapons? The Alethi would have built permanent bridges and somehow defended them from ultra-mobile Parshendi raiders? You're saying "but it's dumb" way more than you're saying what is dumb.
>>
>>7967123
Jeff Noon's Vurt:

>Vurt tells the story of Scribble and his "gang", the Stash Riders, as they search for his missing sister Desdemona. The novel is set in an alternate version of Manchester, England, in which society has been shaped by Vurt, a hallucinogenic drug/shared alternate reality, accessed by sucking on colour-coded feathers. Through some (never explained) mechanism, the dreams, mythology, and imaginings of humanity have achieved objective reality in the Vurt and become "real".

Also, Philip K Dick is all about reality-altering drugs, most famous in that direction is either "A Scanner Darkly" or "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said"
>>
>>7967123
Margaret St. Clair, Sign of the Labrys.
>>
>>7966645
>gay scene
the "sphincter" scene from the steel remains
>rape scene
where conphas's army rapes the scylvendi (this gets bonus points for being gay rape)
>incest scene
the classic jaime/cersei/bran scene from a game of thrones
>>
>>7967102
>maybe Sanderson is trying to make a point about how absolutely incompetent they are, but I don't believe it.
Well yeah, it was stated many many times that there is no unity between the highprinces as practically all of them--barring Dalinar--are obscenely selfish. One of Dalinar's major plot points involves uniting them.

What else do you suggest in lieu of bridges? They're clearly the easiest way for common people to cross chasms.
>>
>>7966649
If you're bored of it already don't continue. I managed to get through four myself.
>>
>>7967146
>What else do you suggest in lieu of bridges?
Catapults.
>>
>>7966913
>the verb "tug"
lel, get used to that one.
>>
>>7967146
Stone bridges maybe, they have magical transmutation. Of course, there is the risk that your stone bridge will be used by another lord to get to a battle before you.
>>
>>7967163

Eh, I can do that I guess. What I wanted to know is if it's even worth it to read the remaining 13 books.

I guess Moiraine and Lan are kinda ok. Wish there was more of them instead of retarded farmboys and shepherds.
>>
File: twok_map-7_tower-webres.jpg (261 KB, 795x1200) Image search: [Google]
twok_map-7_tower-webres.jpg
261 KB, 795x1200
>>7967165
>they have magical transmutation
Sure but fabrials are still something in active development.

>be used by another lord to get to a battle before you
That's a big reason why each 'army' has their own shields, yeah.
>>
>>7967170
>What I wanted to know is if it's even worth it to read the remaining 13 books.
No, it's not. The next 3 or so books get better but then it turns to shit after that.
>>
>>7967180

I see, thanks. I guess I'll plow through the last 100 pages of Eye and then be done with WoT forever.

Maybe I'll read how it ends on wikipedia although I'm betting on the happily ever after.
>>
>>7967175
I'm talking about their soulcast barracks. Surely they could start putting up soulcast bridges on routes that are competitive only from their own camps? Are there still earthquakes? I don't remember those being mentioned.
>>
>>7967102
>Obviously a *real* magical knight leading an army across a labyrinth of canyons to fight crab people for the gemstones in the guts of giant lobsters would know better!
>The bridges, the... weapons? I could go on.
>>
What about time travel sci-fi? Any good books set in the present day or near future?
>>
>>7967227
Hyperion Cantos
>>
File: Philip K. Dick prime.jpg (27 KB, 610x324) Image search: [Google]
Philip K. Dick prime.jpg
27 KB, 610x324
So all that I've read by PKD is (in order):
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
>UBIK
>The Man In the High Castle
>A Scanner Darkly
>Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
I have the option of reading:
>The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
>Martian Time-Slip
>VALIS
>The Divine Intervention
>Lies, Inc
>and maybe Solar Lottery if I buy it today.
Which one should I read first?
>>
>>7967241
Thanks but i'm looking for something more modern day. Something like this.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28696617-quantum-break
>>
>>7967227
There's the Stephen King thing. 11.22.63
>>
>>7967060
What a terrible cover.
>>
>>7967060
Check out Ian McDonald. Dervish House maybe.
>>
>>7967227
How near are you wanting?
>>
>>7967289
Looks ok but i'm not a fan of Stephen King.

>>7967347
Looking for something set in the modern day, like the last 15 years or so. Or set in the near future say 30-50 years from now.

As long as it isn't set in the past or a fantasy universe i'll give it a look.
>>
>>7964132
Sometimes I wonder whether a lot of people on this board ever actually encounter women irl
>>
I read the first ASoIaF in high school. Kind of want to continue, but people spoil shit all the time (like even on national news programs) and while I really want a multiple PoV series with moral ambiguity I'm not sure I actually care about these characters. What would be a good read for me? The Way of Kings?
>>
>>7967415

That's not an argument, just an insult.
>>
>>7967419
Malazan probably.
>>
>>7967419
Stormlight Archive is good, yes, but there's only two books out.

I recommend Malazan and Traitor Son Cycle.
>>
>>7967415

>i want all the authors to pander to the 1% instead of the 99% who buy their books
>>
>>7967419
>way of kings
>characters
>>
>>7967446
explain
>>
>>7967452

they're called toons
>>
>>7967419
Moral ambiguity? Just read Abercrombie.
>>
>>7967457
Being grimdark, unimaginative and generic passes for moral ambiguity now?
>>
Honestly, if you were a woman, would you want to read about old ugly murderers who rape, torture, and kill you?
>>
>>7967471

They do though.
>>
>>7967419
Bakker's Second Apocalypse series.
Start with The Darkness that Comes Before. It has everything you asked for in your post.
Honestly the best fantasy I've read in quite a while.
>>
>>7967468
For reading as something along the lines of asoiaf? Yeah I'd say it qualifies.
>>
>>7967491
I never thought I'd be saying this, but stylistically Asoiaf is Joyce compared to Abercrombie.
>>
>>7967511
Well, I wouldn't even argue that he isn't but he has his own not insignificant problems in other areas.

I'm not offering up Abercrombie as some shining beacon either but if he's strong anywhere it's readable characterisation of the morally dubious in a way that isn't necessarily wholly serious.

At least I think he's aware of his own limitations as a writer and doesn't over-reach.
>>
anything similar to Bakker ? I need more gay rape incest in my life
>>
>>7967643
Dune, then the Greeks
>>
>>7967260
Depends, Dick has a lot of variety. What did you like best from the first batch?
>>
>>7967127
Never read Phil Dick while on psychedelics, you will become a paranoid schizophrenic.

Favorite Dick story (kek), Faith of our Fathers, and it fucked me up for a long time.
>>
Just finished "son of the black sword".

Passable writing, passable plotting, flat characters, lots of sjw garbage.

Very well written violence however, and that sustained me through it. The fights get your blood pumping in a way most authors fail to. I don't normally read books for the fights, but this violence is golden.

The author also doesn't fall into the trap of trying to show off how "original and inventive" his special world is.

The aspects of it which would normally be edgy autistic fedora crap, are actually handled pretty well. Assasins demon wizards are actually a fun part of the story instead of something that makes you close the book and stop reading.

4/10, better than most recent fantasy, would not read sequels.
>>
>>7967471

If you're into that
>>
>>7967471

>What is best seller fifty shades of gray
>>
>>7967956
Doesn't even have anal in it.
>>
>>7967942
Was thinking about reading this but that put a dampener. What's the nature of the SJW pandering?
>>
>>7967964

Ebil rich people want to holocaust the poor common folk, who are really the descendants of kangz and shiet

Our hero discovers that his mother was really a commoner, learns that poor people have feelings too, and leads the rebellion against the out of touch rulers un the Capitol.

The big plot twist is that an important character turns out to really be a girl.
>>
>>7967998
so its basically anime
>>
>>7967998
>Ebil rich people
>learns that poor people have feelings too
You realize by that definition Dickens was an SJW?
>>
Does anyone know any good audiobooks?

Its tricky to find both a good author and a good narrator.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.