[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can only buy one book. What book do I buy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (95 KB, 596x650) Image search: [Google]
image.png
95 KB, 596x650
I can only buy one book.

What book do I buy?
>>
Encyclopedia Britannica
>>
a big one?
>>
In Search of Lost Time
>>
Final Exit
>>
>>7958709
TLOTIAT
>>
an e-reader
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 432x435) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 432x435
op here

should I purchase Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>7958756
sure why not
but if you're only starting with dusty you might want to try C&P first
>>
>>7958756
sure, thatd be a fine purchase m8. go for it
>>
Interested in Dostoyevsky, what are your guys's recommendations for someone just getting into him? Also what should I expect from him?
>>
>>7958828
You should expect a lot of feverish verbal exchanges between neurasthenic individuals about nihilism, mental illness, family woes, doomed love affairs and faith.
And plenty of awkward social situations.
>>
>>7958828

Expect a lot of interesting and passionate conversations about philosophy. Multiple perspectives from characters who seem to be the psychological culmination of certain ideas or ways of looking at the world. Really powerful stuff, but its important to be aware of his biases

Brothers Karamazov was my favourite by a long stretch ... might be a good idea to read Notes or C&P first but if you do some kind of research on Russian history and Dostoevsky's life you should be fine
>>
>>7958877
>>7958865
Thanks guys. Would you characterize Dostoyevski as more of a philosopher or novelist? Does he posit any original philosophical ideas, or does he just reuse other people's philosophy and present it in the form of a novel? I am not for or against either of these options.

Over the summer when I plan to read him I will have some time on my hands, but probably not enough time to read three books in addition to the philosophy I'll be reading, so if you had to choose, would you do some research and go right to The Brothers Karamazov or would you read the other two/at least one of them first?

Cheers.
>>
>>7958828
>Interested in Dostoyevsky, what are your guys's recommendations for someone just getting into him?

don't bother. you're better off huffing gas and eating glue when it comes to being mentally stimulated.
>>
Norton Critical Shakespeare.
>>
The Analects of Confucius.
>>
>>7958945
What fuels your hatred for Dostoyevsky?
>>
>>7958756
Yes but get the avsey translation
>>
>>7958940
There's no philosophical content in Dostoyevsky. He was a novelist with a keen interest in mental illness.
>>
>>7958940
depends on how sharply you define a philosopher. He won't offer compelling logical arguments but he does provide characters and plots which in a way act as an argument. His philosophy would be best described as Orthodox existentialism. It's kind of difficult to describe what its like desu

If you've read a lot of philosophy/are an avid reader i'd go straight to BK, its the kind of thing you will want to re-read anyways
>>
>>7959006
Great, I'll go straight for Brothers. I appreciate your time.
>>
Norton Anthology of English Poetry
>>
>>7958709
get an ebook reader and learn to use #bookz
>>
>>7958709
Buy "The mantra of pirating ebooks"
=>read
=>profit
>>
>>7958709
What about using a library, ever heard of one of those elusive places? They have this convenient feature of allowing reading books without buying them
>>
Being and Time or Mason & Dixon
>>
>>7959486
Heidegger and a book about the Mason Dixon Line? I have to ask, why these two books? They are so different from each other.
>>
>>7959507

You could spend a good month reading them, one is too dense and complex the other is just an overall good book but they are both great.
>>
The Illiad should keep you busy for awhile
>>
>>7958709
something big and fun
don quixote maybe?
or a dildo
>>
>>7959525
Haha, this made me chuckle.
Cheers.
>>
An internet connection
>>
>>7958709
That Stephen King book set in Maine.
>>
Buy a library card off eBay, OP
>>
>>7958945
come on now, let's not get silly. Dostoy is just fine, you can argue that he might be overrated but to say there's nothing of any value there is just absurd.
>>
dune
>>
>>7958709
Women and Men.
>>
File: skylark.jpg (35 KB, 297x475) Image search: [Google]
skylark.jpg
35 KB, 297x475
skylark
k
y
l
a
r
kralyks
>>
>>7960464
skylark
k r
y a
l l
a y
r k
kralyks

not going full cirlce
>>
the pali canon
>>
>>7960483
that's too much
>>
Anthem by Rand
>>
>>7958709
You buy Boethius' Consolatio Philosophiae.
>>
>>7958709
Dummies Guide on How To Commit Suicide
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.