[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Books you will deny you ever read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 18
File: twilightcover.jpg (10 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
twilightcover.jpg
10 KB, 200x300
ITT: Books you will deny you ever read
>>
Pic unrelated. Love that book.
>>
I read all 4 twilight books. It was awful
>>
>>7957956
I've been told that, if I want to be a writer, I should read shitty books as well as good books because it's important to familiarize yourself with what not to do as well. With that in mind, I've given serious consideration to reading the Twilight books, but I have as yet been unable to bring myself to do so.
>>
>>7957959
Have you read the Life and Death anniversary edition? It really reminded me how much I like the books.
>>
>>7957956
I'll never deny reading it, but I did it so I could understand the hype. They're total shit.
>>
>>7958086
OP here
Don't worry, it's a book that you can read very easily. You will get to the end of it and think "wow, this was horrible", but you will get to the end of it.
Go for it. It's pure garbage. I read it before it got famous because it was a gift from my mom (I have the first edition lel) and I remember my first thoughts after reading it was "this book was made for dumb women" and "how did I read it so fast"
>>
>>7957956
Bt dubs, I can smell your misogyny from here.
>>
>>7958086
That is like saying you need to do bad things to be moral, or get really fat to help people be healthy. Positive examples are enough, and negative examples shouldn't be overdone. We need exemplars more than cautionary tales
>>
File: Bella-the-Vampire-.jpg (114 KB, 729x976) Image search: [Google]
Bella-the-Vampire-.jpg
114 KB, 729x976
>>7958086
>>7958198
>>7958197
>these Twilight books are rather decento

Knock against it #1 - Food Trays: unlikely things happen.

I don't care because of Persuasion. If you read her other book you realize Meyer is an absurd virtuoso of emotional hyperbole to a degree like absolutely nothing else. Twilight is dialed, way, down. She doesn't care if vampires dancing around the common area dumping their food trays makes the least subtle sense the fourth time you're reading it, she cares if it grips your neck and chokes you out with the vision the first time. In Persuasion the scene where Austen's character experiences the realization of the value of being persuadable is entirely thin. I actually stopped and the scene became metaphorical in my mind for some actually convincing moment that Austen might have rewritten into the book looking back at it or at the behest of an editor. It's not essential to me if Austen's character in the words of the book falls down a step and learns about listening to people saying if you get frisky you might fall down a step. Persuasion is still really good literature and Twilight is better there because the food tray isn't unconvincing but intentionally unconvincing because it's ebulliently focused on setting the stage.

Reason it's good #1. Bella has the greatest clarity I've ever seen in a character. I feel like this is the most obvious point in the sense of being prominently disagreed with and probably also argued for the most, so I think I have the least to add on it.

People say she's unrealistic. That's the point. People are unrealistic. Sometimes you legitimately can't tell whether they are overachieving ameobas or angels without wings. I've never identified with a character as much as Bella, and never even really imagined identifying with a character that much.

Conclusions #1 / Dig against it #2. There is a writer once called a penis with a thesaurus who writes with great clarity about moles and pustules in one of the books I've read (Witches of Eastwick I think) - whatever the mother fuck those are. This is believed to be pulitzer good writing because it puts people on the defensive (oh, he's writing with great clarity about pustules in this book I might still enjoy, I have to admire a piece of cynicism this totally big if I don't want to psychologically reject this and forget about either reading or liking it) and exploits western cynicism and emotional cowardice. In a cynical culture Meyer's sparkly romance is braver and better literature than anything John Updike ever wrote.

Conclusions #2. I can agree that Bella's relationship with Edward is excessively bitchy and flattens the more you lean on it but it's so good the first time that it doesn't matter if its qualities grow. There's no need to do that because it hits so true if it connected with you at all.
>>
>>7958199
You can call these books bad without rooting your criticism in the target audience's gender. It's just bad writing regardless of who reads it.
>>
File: Eragon_book_cover.png (219 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
Eragon_book_cover.png
219 KB, 300x450
>>7957956
>>
File: 1447213363598.jpg (46 KB, 277x416) Image search: [Google]
1447213363598.jpg
46 KB, 277x416
>>7957956
>>
>>7958232
>I actually stopped and the scene became metaphorical in my mind for some actually convincing moment that Austen might have rewritten into the book looking back at it or at the behest of an editor. It's not essential to me if Austen's character in the words of the book falls down a step and learns about listening to people saying if you get frisky you might fall down a step. Persuasion is still really good literature and Twilight is better there because the food tray isn't unconvincing but intentionally unconvincing because it's ebulliently focused on setting the stage.

reading shitty books has done your prose no favors
>>
>>7958198
>"how did I read it so fast"
Happens to me too with most shitty books. I read a YA book last night, quite possibly one of the worst I've ever read, but I finished it so quickly because there was nothing to linger on. It was just so simple it was like watching a flick.
>>
>>7958312
is this really that bad
>>
>>7959519
It was pretty much the definition of generic
>>
>>7958232
>I can agree that Bella's relationship with Edward is excessively bitchy and flattens the more you lean on it but it's so good the first time that it doesn't matter if its qualities grow. There's no need to do that because it hits so true if it connected with you at all.

This post convinced me that some books NEED to be burned. This is a disease.
>>
>>7958210
If you've never done anything wrong, what basis would you have for being morally upright? It wouldn't mean anything because you wouldn't even be aware that you had a choice. You're just doing it because that's what you've always done.
>>
>>7958312
eyy same here senpai. although, I read it as a wee child, so I guess that's not as bad.
>>
>>7958232
I've never witnessed so much horse diarrhea. Way to go to such an extreme length to defend one of the worst fictional characters in literary history. Your efforts are wasted, because Meyer, as well as all the books she has written, are shit - an established fact.
>>
I read the whole fucking series
>>
Twilight wasn't nearly as shit as I thought it would be. It has no merit, other than the fact I didn't find it offensive.
>>
>>7959562
>>7959721
With these levels of meme criticism I assume you guys really really hate Nickleback as well
>>
>>7960047
Your life is fucking pathetic
>>
>>7960057
lol confirmed

how's life going hating all the things society expects you to?
>>
I didn't get Bella's obsession with Wuthering Heights, the main characters were obviously not in love.
>>
>>7958182
She totally slaughtered the book, which is the best in the series--the she gave the universe a sex change
>>
Bedward and Ella's love is great, wonder if they did anal on their honeymoon
>>
File: 1200x630bf.jpg (75 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
1200x630bf.jpg
75 KB, 1200x630
It's silly to say I'll deny reading it on an anonymous board. But I've enjoyed the gorey scenes with the football player dude.

It's my first introduction to Podiobooks.
>>
File: phoebe and her unicorn.jpg (93 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
phoebe and her unicorn.jpg
93 KB, 512x768
I read classics most of the time but sometimes it's nice to read Calvin & Hobbes for bronies.
>>
File: mzrn.png (66 KB, 300x435) Image search: [Google]
mzrn.png
66 KB, 300x435
>>7957956
A friend of mine recommended the whole series, so I read all 4 of them. Big mistake.
>>
>>7960562
His vampire dick was much too hard to think of it, baka

>>7960550
The number one theme was obsession more than love I think
>>
>>7960579
>That third book ending

Holy FUCK what was he thinking
>>
>>7960575
Phoebe is cute
>>
>>7957956
It's weird how my opinion of Twilight changed over time.

>okay so this is just another pop fiction book w/e
>lol this book is so gay holy shit, literally one of the worst books ever written. every little girl who likes this is retarded.
>well yeah they're shit books but people need to stop complaining so much. every criticism has been said a million times over several years so these complainers are just embarrassing themselves.
>Stephanie Meyer never intended to write a good book, she was just capitalizing on the zeitgeist. She wanted to write a cash cow and she did. In this way Twilight is a success.
>In hindsight is was a very immersive and addicting series of novels. It may have been overhanded and juvenile but that actually added to the high school setting anime-like atmosphere. I actually feel nostalgic for it. Despite its flaws, Twilight was pretty good imo.
>>
>>7960579
I stopped after the first book. I refuse to read books that are literally just meant to be read in a series. Not that I dislike series, but serialized books need to be independent.
>>
>>
better than harry potter
>>
>>7962634
omg, so gay.
>>
>>7960569
Do you one better. I read all of them, including the 600 fucking page final novel, and I enjoyed every minute of ball flexing, gory, schlock it threw at me.
>>
File: 1433614345060.jpg (73 KB, 604x605) Image search: [Google]
1433614345060.jpg
73 KB, 604x605
>>7960047
What is Nickleback? And meme criticism isn't a fair charge when it is true. Meyer is trash, and every writer worth his salt has said it. Meyer is 50 Shades-tier shitty.

How dare you, by the way, compare Persuasion with Twilight? Trying to sound smart and shit by putting trash and gold together covered in Chopra-esque words.

It's not doing you any favors.
>>
>>7962634
God that book always looked so fucking cool. But it was just so incredibly bad.
>>
>>7957956

I read all four. Despite the general consensus of them being awful, I did actually find it kept me interested. There was a rough patch in the second book where it was just mopey and shit, but the rest wasn't that bad. It's as well written as most other award-winning books lately, it's not autistic like Eragon, it's less tacky than Percy Jackson, and it has less plotholes than Harry Potter. Overall, what really killed it was the fan base.

Sometimes I feel too many people base their lives on memes. It's pitiful that there are those out there who will follow the herd just to be seen a certain way by others.
>>
>>7960569

Don't peddle your shit here, Scott.
>>
>>7960541
Yeah, he's such a sheep.

Only us redpilled individualists like nickleback and twilight!
>>
>>7960705
The entire third book felt like a parody of itself tbqh, not that the second book added anything of worth other than "we r in a desert lol"

>>7962245
I hear you. I would've stopped after the first book but I was praying that the writing would get better/a coherent plot would form/literally anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 1280x1024
>>7962236
Fucking die you beaten scum
>>
>>7960575
It's better than Calvin & Hobbes
>>
>>7959519
It's YA'ified tolkien so play it as it lays.
>>
>>7963829
I bet you never even read the books faggot.
>>
>>7957956
I remember my sister was really into these books. I picked up the first book and just thought it was shit. She's usually not at all interested in books or literature though so looking back I'm not surprised.
>>
Obviously nothing in this thread.
>>
File: 1442958791458.jpg (134 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1442958791458.jpg
134 KB, 768x1024
>>7957959
Life and death was better, and it's totally not because I could project myself onto the main character and fantasize about hot female vampire lusting for me
It was just good, I hope there's another
>>
File: ohshit.png (552 KB, 1360x786) Image search: [Google]
ohshit.png
552 KB, 1360x786
>>
File: 51ZUV2yyn+L.jpg (41 KB, 410x500) Image search: [Google]
51ZUV2yyn+L.jpg
41 KB, 410x500
>>7957956
pic related
it was fabulous
>>
>>7959519
Nah. The worldbuilding is comfy, but the actual plot was very shallow, and it doesn't get any better on the other books.
Therefore, it comes to what >>7964990 said, a watered down Tolkien.

t. Anon who read the 3 books as a kid
>>
I've yet to find a worse book.
>>
I read the hunger games when i was 14 but im not really ashamed of that
>>
>>7957956
All memeing aside, I got to the first chapter and then I stopped.
>>
>>7958341
kek yea that was pretty hard for me to follow as well.
>>
>>7967095
The first book, and second half of the next book, were actually quite enjoyable. Too bad she ruined it.
>>
>>7967090
>a novel made for women.
you can't really expect anything good from it...
>>
>>7968396
How so?

I actually liked the way it ended.
>>
>>7958210
>That is like saying you need to do bad things to be moral
it means you need to experience bad things to be moral, not necessarily do them. they are not asking anon to write garbage they are asking him to experience it, i.e. read it
>>
File: Hunter.jpg (38 KB, 290x470) Image search: [Google]
Hunter.jpg
38 KB, 290x470
>>
File: Gutter butt's book.jpg (6 KB, 219x346) Image search: [Google]
Gutter butt's book.jpg
6 KB, 219x346
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.