[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the fact that J.K Rowling never explicitly stated the race
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 16
Does the fact that J.K Rowling never explicitly stated the race of Hermione mean it's an acceptable interpretation for a reader to interpret Hermione as any race they feel like and nobody can suggest otherwise or say that they're wrong? What do some approaches of literary theory/criticism have to say about this? What does /lit/ have to say about this concept?

Everybody knows that Hermione is meant to be white. Everybody knows that J.K Rowling must have had a white person in mind when she was writing Hermione, and in fact probably never wrote it down because it went without saying.

I'm genuinely curious what lines of thought have probed this kind of issue because it opens up all sorts of cans of worms about what you can start claiming about characters through literature if the absence of an explicit statement to the contrary or affirmation of opposing state is all you need.
>>
>>7957093
Just report and hide.
>>
>>7957084

Harry Potter is not literature. Go to reddit if you want to talk about poorly-written children's stories.
>>
Who cares what "Just Kidding" Rowling has to say or write?
>>
>>7957093
>>7957100
>>7957101
>>7957109

It's not about Harry Potter, that's just an example that was publicised heavily recently to illustrate the point I'm getting at, which is to what extent can characters' races and other details about them be changed on the fly and have any schools of thought come up with decent arguments as to why you can/can't do this.
>>
>>7957121
We had a wave of shitposters constantly post about this shit for a while. That's why we don't like it.

Anyway, the answer is death of the author yadda yadda yadda who Le cares
>>
She is explicitly described as being white but I don't give a shit.
>>
I didn't read the books so I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't Hermione's character supposed to be an allegory(not sure if right term) for racism? Making her black just kind of ruins it.
>>
>>7957084
See >>7957132 and fuck off
>>
>>7957093
>>7957138

but you're the one shitposting
>>
>Everybody knows that Hermione is meant to be white
what does this say about the state of society where white is the default race.
>>
File: hermione white.jpg (34 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
hermione white.jpg
34 KB, 599x337
>>7957084
>Does the fact that J.K Rowling never explicitly stated the race of Hermione mean
>>
>>7957734
>They were there, both of them, sitting outside Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor — Ron looking incredibly freckly, Hermione very brown, both waving frantically at him.
>very brown
looks like she changed races between books desu. transracial Hermione confirmed
>>
>>7957746

white people tan in the sun, there are other passages of her cheeks going pink and blushing. Blacks can't do that.
>>
>>7957757
tanning is the operative word. white people tan. they don't brown.
blacks can blush. have you ever seen a black person irl?
>>
>>7957776
>white people tan. they don't brown.

to tan is to brown the skin. silly semantics

And what a weird way to describe her if she was actually black/brown. "Hermione very brown" ???

"Azumi very yellow"
"Taquisha very black"
"Pajeet very brown"

why the emphasis? seems out of place and almost racist if the character is actually not-white
>>
File: slaughter.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
slaughter.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>>7957776
>blacks can blush.

no they can't.
>>
>>7957776
>blacks can blush.

show me a pic of a black person turning pink as they blush
>>
They're in Britain m8.

Hermione is obviously an arab.

Her race is a mystery cause she's wearing a durka the whole time.
>>
>>7957732
All it says is that the vast majority of British people are white, especially at the time the novels were written. There's nothing more you can discern from that.
>>
>>7957746
Was Hermione not in Spain for summer holidays before this?
>>
>>7957746
It was a tan, you fucking idiot. Jo from Little Women was described as "brown as a nut." Hermione was on vacation earlier in the book.
>>
>>7957101
say to Rowling's face you cowardly pinko commie bastard
>>
Hermione is trans black, but she only makes the transition when she grows up (presumably after spending a lot of time on tumblr)
>>
Man, even Hogwarts isn't safe from the SJWs.
>>
It's a calculated appeal and attempted cash-in on SJW shit. Putting blacks in white roles is pretty common and "hip" in British media/arts now. I don't think there's any artistic (>implying Harry Potter is art) justification for changing or determining a character's race for these kinds of alterior, creatively dishonest motives. But no one gives a shit, including me.
>>
>>7957084
>Everybody knows that J.K Rowling must have had a white person in mind when she was writing Hermione, and in fact probably never wrote it down because it went without saying.

Christopher Hitchens noted the irony of JK Rowling's 'progressive' political opinions with her literary fetishisation of the culture of English private schools.
>>
File: 1332724523660.jpg (68 KB, 551x405) Image search: [Google]
1332724523660.jpg
68 KB, 551x405
I think Pottermore and all other post-canon "revelations" are utter bullshit fabricated on the spot by the attention whore authors. Masahiro Ito makes up bullshit about Silent Hill all the time just to shut the fans up.
>>
File: make it stop.jpg (15 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
make it stop.jpg
15 KB, 316x202
>>7957084
>black president
>black person on dollar
>black Hermione
>token blacks everywhere
>basketball scholarships mainly black students
>Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving Blacks and Whites, Blacks commit 85 percent and Whites commit 15 percent. Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Forty-five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are Black, and 10 percent are Hispanic.
>black power
>black lives matter
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoKuirDqeSo
>Egyptians where not black
>http://conservative-headlines.com/2014/12/the-truth-about-interracial-rape/
>>
>>7957084
>What do some approaches of literary theory/criticism have to say about this?

Nothing. The creation of fan fiction does not fall within the category of "literary," and therefore is not an object of literary criticism.
>>
>>7958078
black people are still pretty inconsequential my friend. look at white people things more which shouldn't be hard because they're everywhere
>>
>>7957137
What the fuck are you on about
>>
File: 1461252030504.png (426 KB, 599x577) Image search: [Google]
1461252030504.png
426 KB, 599x577
>>
hermoines white face bush etc

also fuck jk prowling in the bathouse for aids sex
fucking whore
slam a coke in that bitch watch her twitch like add aint nought better tHAN A DICK INA SLUT WITH NO BUTT BUTTERCUP
>>
It's based in England. Fucking no niggers in a good English story.
>>
>>7957732
state of a white society where white is the default race? gee whiz mister this sure is a problem
>>
>>7958118
"mudblood" = "nigger" im guessing is what he meant
>>
>>7958118
because she's a "mudblood" muggle. It's pretty on the nose
>>
>>7957084
For people who are "beyond racism", they sure are obsessed with race.

Is it really that much of a problem if you aren't """"represented""""?
It's not like I can't appreciate the bravery and grace under pressure of "white soldiers" when I'm reading WW2 fiction, what difference does that make?
>>
>You will never be vehemently upset they cast a minority to play a supporting role in a small budget theatre adaptation of a children's story, which may or may not break the "canon" of said story

I can't imagine what it's like guys, but I see people like this here every single day. Just angry about everything. What's the point?
>>
>>7957084
Firstly, this does not belong on /lit/.
Secondly, "everybody knowing" something does not make it true. If "everybody knows" this, it is certainly not based on the text. What you mean is a lot of people think this. Which again has no bearing on what the authors intentions were, or if race was left out to be purposely ambiguous.
Thirdly, who the fuck actually cares. Why would it matter if Hermione was black, or if someone wants to interpret her as being black? It is literally just as true to the text as interpreting her as white.
Get the fuck out here,
Sincerely, not an SJW
>>
File: FCC-HP-Chamber-1-Mudblood.jpg (36 KB, 589x245) Image search: [Google]
FCC-HP-Chamber-1-Mudblood.jpg
36 KB, 589x245
Mudbloods.

Subtext is beyond the reach of struggling finger readers.
>>
>>7958078
Noticing such things is racist, silly man.
>>
>>7958644
Catharsis?

Also, can we at least agree that black Hamilton is racist garbage?
>>
>>7958641
It's almost as though the demographics of Western countries have changed in the past few decades and popular art is changing to reflect this.
>>
>>7957776
do blacks blush? have you ever seen a black blush?
>>
>>7957084
The only nigger here is you. Now fuck off.
>>
>>7958663
can you stop that god awful snarky mode of speech?

>it's almost as if X
>you're right, we should [misrepresentation of opinion so as to appeal to ridicule]
etc

I see it everywhere and it's immensely grating
>>
>>7958672
And the britbong cover.
>>
>>7958678
ill grate you in a minute
>>
>>7958663
Such bullshit.
>>
>>7958663
by the way, you haven't answered my point at all.

I am not white yet I am able to appreciate media with white people in it.
How do you respond to this?
>>
>>7958690
I'll punch you right in the dick, you little bitch.
>>
>>7958660
It's a play not a historical re-enactment. I would say the same thing to lefties bitching about white washing. If the creator doesn't claim his work be historically accurate why should it matter? If someone writes a book about how Mozart was actually a time traveling Chinaman, the book isn't about the real Mozart, it's about the authors Mozart which can be assumed to be the same in all aspects to the real one except where the author explicitly says that he is different.
>>
>>7958690
you will do no such thing
>>
>>7958701
ill smear you in honey and drop you on a fire ants nest
>>
>>7958678
why should anyone give a fuck about how "grating" you think they are?
>>
>>7958704
>Mozart was actually a time traveling Chinaman

see this is a different thing altogether. something like that would be acknowledging that the real Mozart is white, because it wouldn't be subversive otherwise.

Claiming that the historical Mozart was actually black or whatever is different
>>
>>7958721
did I say they should? I said "can you stop"

you're quite rude, aren't you?
>>
>>7958728
asking someone to stop pretty clearly implies that you think they care enough about your opinion to do so. besides, it was an honest question: why should someone care about coming off as snarky? why should someone even care about their conduct, do other peoples' opinions matter that much?
>>
>>7958710
I'll make you sit at the table until you eat all your vegetables, you rotten little fuck... just wait till your father hears about this.
>>
>>7958724
>Claiming that the historical Mozart was actually black or whatever is different

No one actually does this though. No one who matters at any rate. Black centrist historical revisionism is a meme of the past. It's only recently resurfaced coming from genuinely stupid or misinformed people and kangz shitposters
>>
>>7958710
I'll fill your ears with ticks with leaches while you sleep tonight.
>>
>>7958736
i dont give a fuck. i just dont give a fuck. fuck you AND father. im going to put raw eggs in your favorite hat.
>>
>>7958742
ill replace your hair with wet spaghetti
>>
>>7958735
>asking someone to stop pretty clearly implies that you think they care enough about your opinion to do so

no it doesn't.

I don't have the patience to deal with your autistic edgelord spiel so take your "why should anyone care about other people" nonsense somewhere else
>>
>>7958752
im not even saying that, im just asking you why you genuinely think that
>take your "why should anyone care about other people" nonsense somewhere else
>somewhere else
do you know what site youre on right now..?
>>
>>7958724
When did anyone try to claim the actual, real human beings that really existed that the characters in the musical REPRESENTED were black?
>>
>>7958764
like I said, have your edgemaster moment somewhere else, goober.
>>
>>7957084
If death of the author empowers me to interpret the core message of Hunger as the ruinous power of matriarchal passive aggression and Don Quixote as a story of a man transfigured into a self-made man through his adherence to a personal ethical system above all else, then anything is game.
>>
>>7958780
can you just tell me why presenting your argument or whatever in a snarky manner is bad other than the fact you think its obnoxious
>>
>>7958777
are you talking about Hamilton specifically because I was talking about the concept and action itself
>>
File: Aboman.jpg (60 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
Aboman.jpg
60 KB, 500x374
>>7958780

This is new hermoine
>>
>>7957084
I think its less about race and more about association and a fixed idea of who the character was depicted as. This new black actor doesn't fit who Heroine was in the first 6 or 7 movies. Continuity is what people are mad about.
>>
>>7958784
>can you just tell me why presenting your argument or whatever in a snarky manner is bad

I never said this but even if I did I wouldn't tell you, goober
>>
>>7958792
>>7957084
It would be like replacing Will Smith in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air with Zac Effron.
>>
>>7958794
why would you argue against it if you didnt think it was bad?
>>
>>7958078
>>black president
>>black person on dollar
>placing these two very normal things on the same list as interracial crime and rape
>>
>>7958797
how am I """""arguing"""""" against it?

why is your brain so fucked that you interpret everything as LE EPIC DEBATE ME moments?
>>
>>7958806
you explicitly asked them to stop what they were doing. like, maybe "arguing" wasnt the right word but why would you single out a post and reply to it like that if you didnt think it was a bad thing. i dont really know why youre dancing around the subject instead of just answering me? if you dont have an answer just say so
>>
>>7957746
If this passage was about her race I agree with what >>7957786 said. This would be ridiculous if it was referring to her actual skin color. "Godzilla very scaly, Herman very white" "Jack Sparrow very tanned, Shaq very black" It just sounds ridiculous.
>>
>>7958820
>dancing around the subject

your question is stupid and meaningless to begin with. You even admitted it yourself.
I don't even know what you're getting at

>see annoying trend
>can you stop that
>WHY WOULD YOU ASK THEM TO STOP????
>???
>>
>>7958840
well why? apart from you wanting them to stop, why should they? you really are dancing around the subject, honestly. like a monkey at a fairground
>>
>>7958820
>>7958840
You turned this minor comment about an Anon being a passive aggressive snarky juvenile into a huge argument over nothing.
>>7958853
I can see where that Anon is coming from. People who use passive aggressive language like that Anon did are indirect and try to be clever when they just come off as snarky teenagers.
>>
File: 1457598108094.png (253 KB, 462x394) Image search: [Google]
1457598108094.png
253 KB, 462x394
>>7958853
whatever you say, autist
>>
>>7958868
but why should they care?
>>
>>7958878
you're like a gypsy girl dancing for her supper in the town square of paris, france
>>
>>7958884
Because some people care about how others might be negatively viewed by people in the future for their bad habits.
>>
>>7958884
anon, I'm sure you think you're a groundbreaking genius who's """"exposing""""" people's biases and embedded assumptions or whatever, doing your best impression of hacky philosophers asking fundamental, reductive "why" questions etc, but please take a second to walk away from your dimly lit computer screen, then look at yourself and what you wrote from a distance.

Asking "why" rhetorically and facetiously isn't hip, and you're not all that. In fact you're most likely a mediocre faggot who's all to impressed by the not-at-all-unoriginal idea of "questioning fucking everything haha"
>>
>>7958896
and if they dont....?
>>
>>7958892
apple goes surprisingly well with pork actually, and asian pears with beef.
>>
Didn't Rowling have direct involvement in the casting of the original movie?
>>
>>7958903
So you can't answer the question after all. Your capitulation is accepted.
>>
>>7958905
And if they don't they can continue to have that bad habit which is unwise but its up to them in the end.
>>
>>7958903
epic projection. to be honest, i was just imagining that guy saying that to someone and wondering what his reaction would be if they just said "i dont give a fuck about how people like you view me, i didnt ask for your opinion"

you're like a horse on a carousel, going round and round forever and never reaching any real conclusion. you're like the ancient ouroboros. you're like the corpse of a clown, floating bloated and reeking of decay in the river thames. why dont you kiss my ass, buddy?
>>
>>7958909
honestly? i know you've probably anticipated this, but i really fucking disagree. i cant stand fruit with meat or in salads. my mom sometimes puts raisins or pears in salads and i throw a big tantrum until she relents and buys me a big mac.
>>7958922
is it really unwise though?? like is there even anything inherently wrong in not giving a shit why someone would perceive them as annoying? you're like an unhinged door anon, lying in a dump
>>
File: hermione_not_nigger.jpg (279 KB, 872x690) Image search: [Google]
hermione_not_nigger.jpg
279 KB, 872x690
every fucking chapter art in the autistic books depicts HERMIONE as WHITE
you FAGGOTS
>>
>>7958905
good god, another one of these types
>>
>>7958905
>>7958922
>>7958943
To explain this entire comment line., That Anon made a snide comment which reveals characteristics about them which seem rather passive aggressive or as that other Anon put it "snarky". That other Anon seeing this lashed out and merely told that Anon stop doing that because it is overall negative to attempt to make someone seem stupid for their opinion while mocking them even if it is just an opinion. Its very condescending which is a negative characteristic to possess.
>>
>>7958955
i fucked you're mom
>>
>>7958956
why
>>
>>7958954
Was there really anyone better to play Harry Potter? Daniel Radcliffe looks exactly like Harry Potter. If Harry Potter is designed after Daniel Radcliffe that is okay but if it is the other way around then that is uncanny.
>>
>>7958911
I'm fine with letting you believe that you "won"

>>7958925
all you need at this point is a tripcode
>>
>>7958969
if i saw you in the hallway at school i would "trip" you
>>
>>7957084
>Does the fact that J.K Rowling never explicitly stated the race of Hermione mean it's an acceptable interpretation for a reader to interpret Hermione as any race they feel like
Sure, go ahead.
>and nobody can suggest otherwise or say that they're wrong?
Anyone -can- do that, and if they think they're correct they should.
>>
>>7958911
>>7958925
>>7958963
>>7958905

did r/atheism blow up or something? Why are literal retards like these shitting up this thread?
>>
>>7958971
If I saw you in the hallway at school I would also trip him

he'd never see it coming!
>>
>>7958963
Because being condescending makes people dislike you and before you say "why?" its because people don't like other people looking down on them, and before you say "why?" to that. Its because people want respect. If you say "why?" to that. Its because people feel good when they are respected and treated fairly. "Why?" to that? Because emotions.
>>
>>7958975
i'm seriously starting to believe this is a troll
>>
>>7958967
>Daniel Radcliffe looks exactly like Harry Potter.
You mean he's a white guy with dark brown hair? Yeah it's spooky.

>If Harry Potter is designed after Daniel Radcliffe that is okay but if it is the other way around then that is uncanny.
Either it's uncanny or they just happened to find him during their countrywide casting call.
>>
>>7958967
Daniel Radcliffe is Harry Potter.
>>
>>7958963
The fact that you're asking these questions explains why you have no friends and everyone who's ever had the displeasure of knowing you dislike you.
>>
>>7958977
this is really flimsy honestly. i dont think this would stand in an actual debate
>>7958975
blow up like your blow up doll because you're a lonely loser...?
>>7958978
shut up
>>
>>7958975
truly epic reddit boogeyman post, would read again while browsing imgur on my iphone

smashed the uplike button, would read again, yer aces m8tey, catch me on the flipside my habanero, the bone is off the phone
>>
>>7958979
Its still uncanny whether or not they found him in a casting call. He has the exact same facial structure as the book depiction of Harry Potter. He is a direct likeness to that drawn depiction.
>You mean he's a white guy with dark brown hair? Yeah it's spooky.
The only thing spooky here is how hard you tried to make it seem like there was something wrong with what I said.
>>
>>7958983
>"shut up"
>wants to talk debates
Ad Hominem
>you need a debate to settle whether or not being condescending to someone is negative
The term for the connotation of the word condescending is negative. Use logic, know words.
>>
>>7957726
woah bro :x
>>
>>7958983
the stupid thing is how effective this kind of trolling is
>>
>>7958982
i have many friends from many different social, ethnic and economic background who value my companionship and opinions. i could make a similar stupid presumptuous statement to you
The fact that you posted that despite having little to no evidence aside from "le autism :P" explains why you have no friends and everyone who's ever had the displeasure of knowing you dislikes you. The one time you even came close to losing your virginity was cut short when you tried to psychoanalyze the girl (guy?) with accusations of daddy issues and no self respect
>>
>>7958990
shut up
>>7958995
shut up
>>
>>7958985
his facial structure isnt even described beyond looking exactly like his father, who iirc had a narrow face? which radcliffe most certainly doesnt have. literally the most mentioned feature harry has are his almond shaped strikingly green eyes which, spoiler alert, radcliffe also doesnt have
>>
>>7958985
>He has the exact same facial structure as the book depiction of Harry Potter
Yeah because the way Harry's facial structure is described is reeeeeal fucking specific.
>Harry had always been small and skinny for his age. He looked even smaller and skinnier than he really was because all he had to wear were old clothes of Dudley's, and Dudley was about four times bigger than he was. Harry had a thin face, knobbly knees, black hair, and bright green eyes. He wore round glasses held together with a lot of Scotch tape because of all the times Dudley had punched him on the nose. The only thing Harry liked about his own appearance was a very thin scar on his forehead that was shaped like a bolt of lightning.

You do know that Radcliffe doesn't wear glasses and the scar is make-up, right? Not to mention that in the illustrations and books, Harry has a thin face but Radcliffe has a wide, rounded one.
>>
File: Gold Star.png (20 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Gold Star.png
20 KB, 1000x1000
>>7959000
You are using a direct logical fallacy. You are disregarded entirely. Here is your gold star for amusing me for more than three minutes.
>>
>>7959008
Not an argument
>>
>>7959008
>le logical fallacy
and theyre accusing me of being from /r/atheism
>>
>>7959004
>>7959007
>I mentioned anything about the characters description in the book
>I didn't make a direct reply to a post with a picture
Are you both retarded,tired, having a bad day? I'm just going to assume its one of the last two things I mentioned.
>>
>>7959013
Well tell them they are faggots. That seems to work on 4chan.
>>
>>7959014
>book cover
>"in the book"
haha nice!!!!!!!!!
he doesnt even look like the illustration either.
>>
>>7959014
You're not even being wrong any more, just incoherent.
>>
>>7959020
You're such an incomprehensibly retarded person.
>>
>>7959013
This coming from someone who just spent the last 20 or so minutes nitpicking a post that had nothing to do with you.
>>
>>7959018
Okay. That is your "OPINION". I stated mine that I think he looks like that illustration that was posted.
>>7959020
I don't think I was being incoherent. I just commented on that illustration with an opinion I have and suddenly I'm being told thats not how he is described in the book and I'm being passive aggressively hounded for my opinion of thinking that he looks similar to that illustration.
>>
>>7959025
Is English not your first language?
>>
>>7959030
i wasnt even nitpicking. i asked a simple question, and the entire exchange shouldve lasted about 3 posts max, but the guy i replied to was a fucking nong who thought i was trying to attack him
>>
>>7959039
There are like 3 Anons that you were replying to.
>>
>>7959039
You asked an irrelevant, stupid question that actually had a fairly obvious answer mate. Maybe it's time to switch off the old lappy and go for a walk.
>>
>>7959040
they started replying only because it got out of hand and drew attention. why dont you stay in your lane?
>>7959042
now who's being condescending?
>>
it doesn't matter, its being done intentionally
nobody chose her without thinking "OH this'll be SOOOO progressive and really piss off all those dirty rotten racists!"
They're trying too hard to normalize non-white Brit citizens as being natural-born British - but if you say anything you're labeled a nazi just for pointing out facts
>>
>>7959047
Not an argument
>>
>>7959013
no disrespect, do you squirt? I'm not tryin to drain your meatflabs, I'm just #asking. my boy's tryin to pop a drain in your beefglands but I'm just trying to write some super nintendo yelp reviews. what are you reading, Mein Kampf?
>>
>>7959052
Not an argument
>>7959054
Not an argument
>>
File: comparison.png (1 MB, 960x605) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
1 MB, 960x605
>>7959032
Your earlier post seemed to be talking about how he was described in the book and portrayed on the cover.
>He has the exact same facial structure as the book depiction of Harry Potter. He is a direct likeness to that drawn depiction.
"The book depiction" sounds like you're referring to how he's described.

Now, here's Harry as depicted on the original cover and Daniel Radcliffe dressed as Harry around the same age as Harry was in that book. Now what exactly is uncanny about their similarities? Different face shape, jaw line, different eyebrows, even the hair parts differently. What exactly is uncanny about that?
>>
>>7959054
yah boobay
>>
>>7959060
rlier post seemout how he was descrssed as Htrayed on the cow he's descs differently. Wnny about their similariWhat exactly is uncanny about that?What exactly is uncanny about that?What exactly is uncanny about that?What exactly is uncanny about that?What exactly is uncanny about that?
>>
>>7959060
I admit they are very different as I've come to see more sides to it. The scar position being on the wrong side triggers my autism though.
>>
>>7959073
Yeah. I ignored that as the film image could have been flipped and I can't be arsed to look to see where the text says it should be.
>>
>>7959073
it they arerent as I've side scar pon being og sids my au though.
>>
>>7959078
>>7959069
Are you okay? I'm worried for your well being Anon. This could be a form of stroke.
>>
>>7959085
u okay? I'eing Aried for ye a forke.
>>
>>7959073
Though I found this
>In the films, Harry's scar is off-centre on his forehead. This was done at J. K. Rowling's insistence, because many fans believe that the scar is in the middle of his forehead, since this is where illustrations in the American books depict it; however the British books depict it off-centre, but the scar's location is never mentioned in the books' text. It is, however, hinted to be on the right side of his forehead (in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix it says Harry received pain above his right eye). It was also mentioned that it was in a location easily covered by his hair.
>>
>>7959097
That clears that up.
>>
J.K. Rowling is desperately trying to stay relevant and retroactively making her stories worse for it.

Dumbledore being gay doesn't add anything.
Neither does Hermione being black.

The fact that she's adding worthless details means that she understands shit all about writing properly.

If it doesn't matter, fucking leave it out of the story.
>>
>>7958645
/thread
>>
>>7959116
>>7959116
>>7959116
>>7959116
>>7959116
>>7959116
samefag
>>
>>7957732
The fact that the majority of Brits are white justifies the above statement. It says absolutely nothing about the state of society. Go back to Tumblr.
>>
>>7957776
>blacks can blush
As a black person, what the fuck are you on?!
>>
>>7957940
I still can't grasp the concept of transracialism. Who the fuck made it, why the fuck did they make it, and how the fuck does it make any fucking sense?!
>>
>>7959146
its a concept that is vehemenly rejected even by sjws. its just some straw sjw made my /pol/ people
>>
>>7958704
>a book about how Mozart was actually a time traveling Chinaman

I want to read this. Can this be the next LofTiaT book?
>>
>>7959205
>LofTiaT
whaaaat
>>
>>7959208
legacy of totalitarianism in a tundra
>>
>harry potter shit on /lit/ (Literature) again
holy fuck, nobody cares you dumb booklet
when will you learn
>>
>>7957732
>read Nigerian poetry
>wtf?? what does it say about nigerian society that these are all assumed to be black!??
>>
J.K was just hoping on the progressive train

It's all well and good to say this shit after all the books were done, but if you actually gave a shit about them you would have included them in your books when the ideas were controversial rather then today when they're mostly accepted
>>
>>7957084

not relevant. Shame on both the SJWs and the whities
>>
>>7958747
I'll jerk you off until you are just about to cum. Then I'll squeeze your balls until they pop.
>>
it's leviosa not leviosah!, you dumb ass nigga.
>>
>>7959409
Incorrect pinhead.
i just wanted to get in a fight too tehe
>>
File: 1456369400592.jpg (23 KB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
1456369400592.jpg
23 KB, 540x300
>168 replies
:(
>>
>>7957084

>Everybody knows that Hermione is meant to be white. Everybody knows that J.K Rowling must have had a white person in mind when she was writing Hermione, and in fact probably never wrote it down because it went without saying.

Why tho?
>>
All of you are fucking stupid.
All Rowling was saying, is that there isn't anything in the books that says Hermione can't be interpreted as black, from a descriptive perspective.

Pale blacks are a thing(yellow bone,mred bone, mulatto).

Mods plz take care of this thread.
>>
I think when the author explicitly approves tge decision.
>>
Why is /pol/ so goddamn butthurt about this? Didn't Rowling just say "I love black Hermione." on twitter? This has no influence on anything. It does not destroy your childhood. She just says it's okay to interpret her as black. I personally think she was described as white in the book a few times (in the german translation at least: her skin became "puterrot", which really only happens with white folks), but other than that, who cares?

This is the equivalent of soccer moms making something up so they can be mad about it.
>>
How did this get so derailed?
>>
>>7959773
Do you not get it? This whole thread and indeed the discussion surrounding it are satire. Nobody here actually believes anything of what they say
>>
Oh look, a sketch of the Harry Potter characters, by J.K. Rowling, before this whole affair. Yep, she's quite clearly of African-American descent in this picture.
>>
>>7960717
Man, she really can't draw.

But anyway, can you quote the part where Rowling said that Hermione is definately black?
>>
>>7960717
Didn't know Snape was Chinese
>>
>>7957746
Ever heard of a tan? Read the book you moron
>>
>>7960700
Just report.

Its just like a few months back when pol was spamming this this.

Let them do it in /pol/

>>7961164
sage when you reply
>>
>>7957734
End of story
>>
>>7958678
>>7958728
>>7958752
>>7958780
>>7958794
>>7958806

This is how a /lit/izen posts everyone.
>>
>>7957084
Headcanons are bullshit. It's been shown time and time again that we if can logically assume something about a character, that's what the character is.

Don't be retarded and just inject whatever dumb fantasy or agenda into something.

IT NEVER SAYS ANYWHERE IN THE BOOK THAT HARRY WASN'T A KEK, DEBATE ME FAGGOTS
>>
>>7957084
Even liberals know that Rowling is a poser who's just trying to get brownie points.

You can't just say a character is racially ambiguous unless you ACTUALLY WRITE THE CHARACTER TO BE RACIALLY AMBIGUOUS, which Rowling did NOT do. Racially ambiguous characters are fine but they actually have to be crafted that way in the context of the story. Playing hackysack with your characters' race can cause a bunch of problems.

The Dursley's are white. This is pretty much confirmed. Vernon gets pink and purple when he's mad. They're described to look like pigs. They're called "pale" and "pasty". There's no debate that the Dursleys are white.

If Harry is black then their treatment of him becomes much darker and the whole context of them making him out to be a criminal to the neighbors changes drastically. It would make a lot of sense, but it changes the entire dynamic of their characters. Race swapping is not isomorphic in literature.
>>
>>7961284
>Race swapping is not isomorphic in literature.
>Isomorphic

Holy shit, why are you such a tryhard when you can't even properly use a word?
>>
If you don't know what death of the author means you don't get to post on /lit/. And considering how worked up you are over Harry fucking Potter I ber you don't.
>>
>>7957776
Sup Rachel Dolezal
>>
The whole brown vs tan vs blush vs white thing is stupid. Black people aren't literally black. There are a lot of white people who are darker than a guy like Steph Curry or Blake Griffin.
>>
>>7957084
I don't understand why you care. As much as I hate white guilt and faggot cucks, I also hate butthurt white people who try to boycott this bullshit. Stop giving a fuck and focus on shit that matters lIke moving out of your parents' house.
>>
>>7957726
Underrated
>>
>>7957734

>white as a ghost because she's scared
>doesn't understand what metsphors are
>>
>>7958160
i am chilean, so i've only seen blacks until recently only on american movies, and when i went to england for vacations a few years ago the first thing i noticed was that there where non-white people everywhere.
>>
>>7957084
WE WUZ WIZARDZ
>>
>>7961672
Damn dude... That hit home... But I guess I needed it
>>
Wow, J.K Rowling must've writen this whole thread, because the way you "pals" write is making me feel straight up retarded for not being able to process the fact that there are INDEED people this fucking autistic, just as I felt after reading the books twice each in one hour.
Do you know what your problem is? All of you: You're entitled bitches who think your opinion is untouchable. All of you think that the fact that you're posting it for people to read means that said audience must also shove all of your smegma-scented shit down their throats with a smile and reply with a "Yes, I agree with ou because blablabla..." If you think that's even remotely the point of human interaction you're destined to fill a cell in a FEMA camp inmediatly. You're not special, and you're not right about anything. MUCH LESS regarding such an unimportant topic as the Harry "I'msuchafuckingdumbassholyshitstretchin'mylegs" Potter saga. Do you think this is literature? Maybe, sure. But important in any way? Fuck no, you must be american to think this shit is actually relevant to anyone with the magical ability to think and create individual thoughts. I know you're all illiterate, so:
TL;DR: You're retarded, sage and reported. Have a good day getting raped by your uncle for the fourth time this week, princess.
Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.