[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is French worth learning for literature, poetry and maybe some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: stachura.jpg (52 KB, 354x540) Image search: [Google]
stachura.jpg
52 KB, 354x540
Is French worth learning for literature, poetry and maybe some music? I probably won't use it other way than for reading or listening, since I'm not sure if France would be worth visiting.
>>
you have to consider the opportunity cost in your scenario.

how would you spend your free time if you weren't learning french?
>>
>>7956687
Yes it is worth it. French lit is the only literature that can stand up to English literature imo.
Also they have some really cool music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo7e0UkT4XA
>>
>>7956710
I would spend it on 4chan. So it still is a better option.>>7956712
I was liitening to Chanson pour l'auvergnat by G.Brassens moment ago, because Edward Stachura sung it. Il n'y pas d'amour hereux was translated into polish by him,
>>
The only problem for me would be the pronunciation, in Polish the words are read pretty much the way they're written, English pronunciation isn't that hard too, but French looks hard for me.
>>
But how much time do you need to be able to actually read literature in French though
>>
hi to my fellow countryman! do you happen to know some good polish literature that i havent heard about? thanks in advance!
>>
>>7956769
what are you interested in?
Edward Stachura - everything
Ryszard Milczewski-Bruno
Stasiuk
Traktat o łuskaniu fasoli - Myśliwski, Wiesław
Mariusz Szczygieł's book about Czech Republic
Przyjdzie Mordor i nas zje, czyli tajna historia Słowian - Ziemowit Szczere was pretty fun
Kamienne tablice , Zapach psiej sierści - Wojciech Żukrowski
Do snu przebieram się za sobowtóra - Zdzisław Antolski (poetry)
Smolarnia nad bobrową wodą - Stanisław Czernik (comfy historical fiction)
I also liked Kapuściński's and Hłasko's books but you probably know them.

Probably the best from what I listed are Stachura's books and Traktat o łuskaniu fasoli
>>
>I'm not sure if France would be worth visiting.

Don't be a fucking idiot

France is the biggest tourist destination in the world.
>>
>>7956810
What about post-caliphazation?
>>
Yes it's worth it you will finally be able to read Foucault
>>
>>7956687
Already Baudelaire is worth it.
>>
>>7956821
If you know French, you can fight in the upcoming civil war on the side of the nationalists.
>>
>>7956843
>dfw I'm reading the Feuillet d'Hypnos by René Char
>mfw I will be a resistant in the said war.

>>7956733
What did you think of it?

>The only problem for me would be the pronunciation, in Polish the words are read pretty much the way they're written.

I don't think this should be too much of a problem, it's not that hard really. The spelling can be bitchy, but if you don't intend to write anything it's not a problem.

>But how much time do you need to be able to actually read literature in French though

It depends on you. I guess it can be pretty short if you're serious about it and if your English is good. Also some French books can be very simple to read (L'étranger, Le petit prince).

Also French cinema is great.
>>
>>7956810
Thanks to a bunch of retarded Japanese people.

OP, if you're really into literature it may be worth it, but learning French is no longer essential.
>>
>>7956886
This, French is a dead language.

You should learn Latin, OP.
>>
>>7956885
>Dans nos ténèbres, il n'y a pas une place pour la Beauté. Toute la place est pour la Beauté.
>>
File: uprising.jpg (285 KB, 1123x552) Image search: [Google]
uprising.jpg
285 KB, 1123x552
>>7956885
See you in 5-10 years buddy.

>qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons
>>
>>7956687

French poetry is shit tier, and it's such a similar language to English there's really no point in not just reading the translation. Very little is lost.
>>
File: sin titulo.png (315 KB, 345x345) Image search: [Google]
sin titulo.png
315 KB, 345x345
>>7956911
>French poetry is shit tier
>>
File: Gyss-archive-Jo.jpg (271 KB, 800x583) Image search: [Google]
Gyss-archive-Jo.jpg
271 KB, 800x583
>>7956733
frenchfag here. Brassens is the best argument i have in favor of learning french. and maybe the argot (slang) makes some of Céline's (or Boudard<3) works interesting, but that's a language inside a language.

however i wouldn't say we're better than russians, italians, or americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkYbGCQj5iY
>>
>>7956911
>there's really no point in not just reading the translation. Very little is lost.

On the blue summer evenings, I shall go down the paths,
Getting pricked by the corn, crushing the short grass:
In a dream I shall feel its coolness on my feet.
I shall let the wind bathe my bare head.

I shall not speak, I shall think about nothing:
But endless love will mount in my soul;
And I shall travel far, very far, like a gipsy,
Through the countryside - as happy as if I were with a woman.
Par les soirs bleus d'été, j'irai dans les sentiers,
Picoté par les blés, fouler l'herbe menue :
Rêveur, j'en sentirai la fraîcheur à mes pieds.
Je laisserai le vent baigner ma tête nue.

Je ne parlerai pas, je ne penserai rien :
Mais l'amour infini me montera dans l'âme,
Et j'irai loin, bien loin, comme un bohémien,
Par la nature, heureux comme avec une femme.
>>
French has been rated the third most useful business language to learn according to FT if I remember correctly. It was indeed a huge step in my career.
>>
>>7957022
all these sick rhymes lost in translation
>>
>>7956886
Do you seriously think it is just retarded Japanese people?

It is also retarded Chinese people.
>>
>>7957090
Indeed.
>>
File: eva10.png (430 KB, 910x514) Image search: [Google]
eva10.png
430 KB, 910x514
>>
So I'll start learning French, now I have a question:
What are some online resources that would be helpful, and do you have any recommendation for books to learn French? Probably something that one can find online. I started the course on Memrise, and I'll download Brassens, Brel and Piaf, first three artists that come to my mind when I think of French music.
>>
>>7956687
you can read the menu in high-class restaurant because they all written in French...
>>
>>7958923
bump
>>
>>7956687
French is worth learning but holy cow it can be annoying. Every verb changes (in all sorts of different ways) depending on what pronoun you use. If something is plural, everything in the sentence has to reflect that. It's tedious!

But it's a dream of mine to be able to at least read and listen in french. I doubt I'll ever be able to speak it well though
>>
>>7959832
>>7958923
http://studenting.tumblr.com/post/142096254479/apps-all-the-apps-listed-are-free-to-download

hf
>>
>>7959856
most neolatin languages are like that, dumb burger
>>
>>7956687
absolutely not
>>
>>7958923
Don't bother with music or movies just yet.

At first you should focus on getting the basics down, which you can do in a variety of ways - Rosetta Stone, Duolingo, or actual texbooks. Once you can read basic French download books like Harry Potter or Hunger Games and start reading them with help of a French-English dictionary. If you own an e-reader with an inline dictionary you can expand your vocabulary very quickly.

Once you've read a few books, download audiobooks listen to them while you read. At first you won't understand much but after a you've finished 2 or 3 books you should be able to understand French at a slow pace fairly fluently.

Do you speak any other romance language?
>>
>>7959863
Well my native language is American so it's new to me you colossal faggot
>>
>>7959884
No, I only speak English and Polish, and maybe a little bit of German. Is Memrise a good way to learn too? I found it nicer than Duolingo but I'll try both.
>>7959860
Thanks!
>>
>>7959896
>Well my native language is American

Don't worry about announcing it mate, everyone already knew.
>>
>>7960184
i've only ever used rosetta stone and even though it has a lot of issues (the speech recognition feature is a joke) i found that it can give you a very solid base to work off of, especially if you do it in the slower settings - it's VERY repetitive but since it feels like a video game it's not quite as boring as working off texbooks which i had tried previously

if you work your way through the first 3 levels you'll probably understand enough french to read YA books
>>
>>7959884
I hadn't thought of the e-reader trick but that could be a great tool. Thanks, anon.

Would a kindle paperwhite be a good option for using the dictionary while reading in French? I've never used an e-reader and never will for serious reading but I could see the benefit here for learning.
>>
>>7960229
all kindles come with free dictionaries, including french-english and just french, and the touch screen makes it very easy to look up words

also, words you look up are stored in vocabulary builder, which is pretty nifty

i own the basic kindle because i have no use for the paperwhite's backlight and they're pretty similar otherwise. i hear kobos are good too but i've never used one

e-readers are seriously amazing for language learning, it's as close to a "magic pill" as you can get
>>
File: Make-your-Own-French-Flag.jpg (61 KB, 374x520) Image search: [Google]
Make-your-Own-French-Flag.jpg
61 KB, 374x520
why would you want to learn the language of the cowards?
>>
>>7961199
>Militarily the strongest and most successful power of the European continent for a thousand years
>Calling them cowards for surrendering in one war where most of Europe also surrendered
>>
>>7956687
hell yea boi
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
>>7956687
I studied French in university, anon. It's probably the best foreign language to study as an anglophone, especially for literary purposes.

English>French>German>Latin>Greek>Italian

The rest are irrelevant.
>>
>>7959856
Did you not have to take a foreign language in high school or something? All European languages except English are like that.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.