[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck this is hard to read. The writing style is weird. Does it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 1461389020050.jpg (393 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
1461389020050.jpg
393 KB, 2048x2048
Fuck this is hard to read. The writing style is weird. Does it get worse?
>>
>>7954888
Yes. His style is fucked.
>>
File: lit_for_dummies.jpg (25 KB, 260x326) Image search: [Google]
lit_for_dummies.jpg
25 KB, 260x326
>McCarthy
>Hard
>>
McCarthy is a pretty entry level writer m8
>>
Its a love and hate. You either love his style, or you don't
>>
>>7954888
is your brain leaking out your ear?
>>
>i'm a pleb
>will i always be one?

Probably.
>>
>>7954914
How do I unpleb myself?
>>
>>7954920
Just read more
>>
The lack of punctuation can be disorientating for the uninitiated, but you'll probably get a handle on it after a couple of chapters tbqh.
>>
>>7954920
Read. Take your time when reading. Understanding what you're reading.
>>
No offence , a.non but CM is one of the less challenging authors that is still endorsed by /lit/iots.
Just know that he uses made up words sometimes.
>>
Anon put the book down and opened up his laptop and went to 4chan and navigated to the literature board and started a new thread about how the writer's style was difficult.
>>
I'm a pleb and I read it fine, just persist and pace yourself. There were about 3 or 4 sentences that I gave up on trying to make coherent but apart form that it's an amazing book.
>>
>>7954942
>>7954914
>>7954912
>>7954900
>>7954896

Homosexuals judging a books merit on whether it is 'hard'.
>>
File: The Judge.jpg (111 KB, 795x1005) Image search: [Google]
The Judge.jpg
111 KB, 795x1005
Did he do anything wrong, /lit/?
>>
>>7954976
Of course not
>>
Its not hard to read. It is just slow as fuck and boring
>>
>>7954976
not fat enough
>>
>>7954988
I never pictured him as a fat man though. His being a baby by description as I see it is from his hairlessness and small hands and feet. Not being a fat ass as he's muscular.
>>
Moo
>>
>>7954976
He was the manifestation of human nature, of course he didn't do anything "wrong". He simply drew forth the innate nature of the gang.

"Moral law is an invention of mankind for the disenfranchisement of the powerful in favour of the weak".
>>
It starts at the bottom and goes downhill from there. A litany of depraved acts taking place in a blasted hellscape, led on by a warped, evil creature. why is this a masterpiece?
>>
>>7955014
There had to be a bit more to him. I see him as a corrupter of innocence.

>Rapes children
>Kills puppies for keks
>Sets a congregation against clergy
>Kills the Half-breed kid just to fuck with Toadvine

My own guess is that at the end of the book, he made the Kid rape the bear girl with him. Same for the men in the gang throughout the book; he made each of them or some of them rape the missing children he stole, completely destroying them morally, well those who like the Kid were not completely evil.
>>
>>7955014

I should further add>>7955039
, he is in his tent with the retarded boy at the ferry - he probably made the retard, who is dull and innocent by nature do things to the girl to corrupt him as well.
>>
I enjoy the writing style and truly appreciate the beauty of some sentences (re-read them multiple time just because they flow gorgeously), but get a bit bored of the constant violence and bloodshed... I've read six other books since I've started Blood Meridian and am still not done with the latter.
>>
ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shellalagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.
>>
File: 1459902563877.png (216 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
1459902563877.png
216 KB, 393x391
>>7955166
>>
>>7955166
underr8ed post
>>
>>7955170
>>7955214

Stop encouraging him, monsieur poster is cancer.
>>
whats your guys opinions on the endings?
>>
I really love the writing. I felt it was like reading poetry. Of course, some people fucking hate reading poetry. I just love how dream-like the whole thing was.

I loved the ending. Not sure what happened though. I think the judge hugging the kid (if it is hugging) was the kid giving himself over completely to evil. He then murders the little girl, which is the fucked up thing the people see at the end.
>>
>>7955166
e n c h a n t i n g
>>
>>7955224
I've been on lit for like 5 years or smth. and monsieur is among the top 5 things in that period, easily.
>>
>>7955420
I always thought the judge raped the Kid and thats what the men sea in the jakes
>>
Is it an American thing to be this conceited? Why do you guys never blame yourselves for disliking a book or not being able to understand it? Idiosyncratic ≠ bad, faggot.
>>
>>7955484
nah, I'm German and I do this as well. Also the very idea of 'blaming yourself for disliking a book' makes you sound like a huge cuck desu.
>>
>>7955531
I'm not saying you should flog yourself or something. You should only blame the author as your last resort once you've tried your hardest to understand the book. Stay pleb, faggot.
>>
>>7955594
there's a middle ground somewhere between 'I don't like it so it must be shit' and 'this is critically acclaimed so if I don't enjoy that is a personal failure of mine'.
>>
File: cyberbullied.jpg (21 KB, 720x523) Image search: [Google]
cyberbullied.jpg
21 KB, 720x523
>>7954974
>2016
>not being a homo

enjoy your boring repressed life, anon ;-)
>>
>>7955740
go back to your low fat greek yoghurt
>>
>>7955450
I've been here for about 4, he's not my cup of tea.
>>
>>7955877
Would you say he's a roach?
>>
>>7954888
In all seriousness, if find the writing in Blood Meridian difficult, you should probably take a few steps back and read something, well, easy, like something from the /lit/ starter kit.
>>
>>7955386
Moo
>>
The point of the ending is that whatever the men see in the outhouse is too horrifying to even describe. You'll have to imagine it for yourself.
>>
>>7955889
I never got that meme desu
>>
>>7955889
mg is not the roach poster plz
>>
>>7955450
whats the rest of top 5? that goat posting guy?
>>
I checked this book out from the library a week ago, I got 15 pages in and just was not really into his style. I figure I'll read it some point down the road, but I was not interested in reading his style right now.
>>
>>7955014
I'm not religious but I always saw him as Old Testament God, Almost a counter point to Paradise Lost, where P.L. Was written to "justify the ways of God to men" B.M's God owes no explanation to anyone. There were no truly innocent or pure characters in the book and the baptism of the retard was pretty heavy handed as far as religious symbolism goes.
>>
The juge
>>
File: 1432095666310.jpg (9 KB, 228x210) Image search: [Google]
1432095666310.jpg
9 KB, 228x210
>>7954976
>mfw I translated the German part of the last chapter
>>
>>7956826
I don't remember it. what does it say?
>>
If I read this and now genuinely think it my favorite book am I a gay?
>>
>>7954888
>having a hard time reading Blood Meridian
Just quit now.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.