[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>david foster wallace you have only read four books in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 10
File: houellebecq.jpg (20 KB, 635x357) Image search: [Google]
houellebecq.jpg
20 KB, 635x357
>david foster wallace you have only read four books in the first sixteen weeks of the year

How many books have you read so far this year, anon?
>>
>>
>tfw it's been long enough i'm re-reading
feels comfy like when you find an old sweater you thought you threw out but it's still here and it fits as well as always and smells slightly of your exgf who still loves you but has to live the hell of fucking other people because she lives elsewhere now and you put it on and have a happy day knowing life fulfills you. i think it's about six
>>
if you don't make 52 books a year you're pretty much a non-reader
>>
File: 1408946821322.png (60 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1408946821322.png
60 KB, 225x225
I'm pretty excited that I've finished as much books as I have this year.

Sex and Punishment...Berkowitz
Nine Stories...Salinger
Chintamani...Premananda
Sculpting in Time...Tarkovsky
Songs of Experience...Blake
Stories of Mukunda...Kriyanananda
Be Here Now...Dass
The Eye...Nabakov
(If we count books of the Bible:
Esther
Job
Psalms
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Song of Solomon)

Feels good
>>
>>7954264
How is sculpting in time? Big fan of tarkovsky and iv been considering reading about him.
>>
>>7954128
Really depends on the books
>>
>>7954726
Exactly, how do these motherfucks on goodreads have about 2,000 books ? I checked a girl I know and she has about 500 books and they're all pulp YA vampire fiction. Quality over quantity.
>>
>>7954778
Why do you even care m8? This isn't really a competition
>>
>>7954785
I don't, I'm just reinforcing the comment I replied to.
>>
>>7954721
With the exception of his father's poems, it's great dude. A lot of fun and education for anyone interested in any medium of art. Highly recommend. (At times t's rather funny too).
>>
>>7954112
>>
22 but some of em children's novels cuz I'm takin a class

still, ill catchup over summer
>>
About 11-ish? Currently reading Doctor Zhivago.
>>
Five, all of which I read in January.

I'm so busy, man ;-;
>>
Currently on 12th
>>
Sitting at 20, about to finish one tonight. I read about 450ish pages a week. I'm doing pretty well in that only a couple of them are below 200 pages and a couple (Infinite Jest, War & Peace) are rather long.
>>
>>7955076
>I'm so busy, man ;-;
I know the feeling. I Probably wouldn't have read half the books that I've read this year if it weren't for my god-awful commute times. I absolutely hate the bus, but I figured that I might as well make the most of it and just read.
>>
>>7955128
>(Infinite Jest, War & Peace)
>rather long.
Understatement of the thread.
I'm currently eyeing a copy of War and Peace and I'm pretty sure that it would meet the size requirements for an actual brick.
>>
>>7954112

About 15-20 I'd say.
>>
>>
112 days have passed this year so far, so 112 books. I pretty much just read and cruise for hookers in my super dank Lambo. You ain't shit, OP.
>>
>>7954264
proud of you
>>
12 books

>The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevski)
>The Perplex Novelist (Chribes)
>The Fall of Madrid (Chirbes)
>Paris-Austerlitz (Chirbes)
>The Stranger (Camus)
>Abel Sanchez (Unamuno)
>The Kingdom of this world (Carpentier)
>Hunger (Hamsun)
>Shipwrecks (Cabeza de Vaca)
>The Forge (Barea)
>Books v. Cigarettes (Orwell)
>The Truce (Benedetti)

Most of them are really short books. I am not proud of myself.
>>
40 something + 3 or 4 novels re-read

In all honesty, though, I've only recently started to read with any commitment, and, at 26 years old, I've probably read less than 400 fiction novels in my entire life (as a kid/teen I exclusively read non-fiction). Even, then, I've found I've reached a point where it has become increasingly difficult to find truly good fiction. Of those 40 stories, only around a quarter were what I would define as worth remembering. These were:

4.5 - 5.0 stars
>Faulkner - Light in August
>Proust - Sodom and Gomorrah

4.0 - 4.5

>Samuel Beckett - Malone
>Thornton Wilder - The Bridge of Sans Luis Rey
>Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita
>Vasily Grossman - Everything Flows
>Steinbeck - East of Eden

3.5 - 4.0
>Dezso Kosztolanyl - Kornel Esti
>Yasunari Kawabata - The Sound of the Mountain
>David Ohle - Motorman
>Tanizaki Junichiro - Some Prefer Nettles.
>Arthur Koessler - Darkness at Noon
>Erich Remarque - All Quiet on the Western Front

If anyone has any recommendations for contemporary authors who are better than those listed, I'd be very interested. So far, most books written from the 70s onwards that I've read haven't really appealed to me.
>>
>>7955296
Correction:

Samuel Beckett - The Unnameable*
>>
19, but most of them are around 200 pages.
>>
>>7954112
>>
Michel looks like a sullen goblin.
>>
I stopped reading altogether, what's the point when life is finite
>>
>>7954112
>>
4 so far, Infinite Jest, The Trial, Catcher in the Rye, and Dubliners. Currently working on In Search of Lost Time Vol. 2.
>>
>>7954112
6, but that includes the bible and the illiad.
>>
>>7954122
i enjoyed this post
>>
>The Sound of Waves
>Cronica de una Muerte Anunciada
>God and the State

Oh god, I am pathetic.
>>
>>7954264
Book of job ftw
>>
>>
Around 50, though I've been reading a lot of art histories this year.
>>
>>7955296
I have a feeling you're the person I recommended Denton Welch and Lars Iyer to some months ago. If I'm mistaken, well, the latter author is contemporary - you might check out his Wittgenstein Jr.
Also, have you read any Iris Murdoch? I think you might appreciate The Sea, the Sea.
>>
4, almost 5
>>
>>7954112
16, 4 of those are Shakespeare plays though. I didn't read anything throughout Jan or Feb because of feels. I started reading classic Children lit to get back in the swing of things.

Now that I've quit Uni and started working I'm actually reading way more than I usually would. I got a Job behind a bar and have plenty of free time. Not having to think about more than turning up to pull pints and pay the tiny bit of rent frees my thinking. I'm currently reading Manly P Hall's Secret Teachings of all Ages to prepare for when I come to philosophers with some backing in occult and hermetic sources. I'm finally getting around to plowing though a list of Philosophical texts and am just waiting for a collection of Aristotle's writings to be delivered.
>>
>>
>>7954128
*checks last years Goodreads challenge*
'Ahhh, 60! I am indeed a reader!'
*sits back with a pipe and a copy of IJ*
>>
12 according to goodreads. Would have guessed fewer
>>
seventeen books consisting of ~4000 pages
btw it's more useful to note down and post the amount of pages you've read since ten rather short novels can be as long as one pynchon
>>
Precisely 30.

This month I have only read Ulysses, however. It's all my university's fault, with those boring and difficul tests. I intend to read one today - a short history of Medieval Portuguese literature.

My goal is to read 100 books this year, which means I should have read at least 50 by the end of June.
>>
>>7957233
I have read 6800 pages during my two-month vacations in January/February, but only 2000 pages since then.

It's depressing.
>>
Not a single one
>>
If we're counting plays then around eight. If not then three: The Waves, A Month in the Country, A Visit from the Good Squad.
>>
File: image.png (37 KB, 323x179) Image search: [Google]
image.png
37 KB, 323x179
Could be worse
>>
I've only read "Notes from the Underground", by Dostoyevsky this year. It's actually the first time I've read a whole book in... over a year, I guess. The last book I read was the last book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I have ADHD and a crippling dopamine addiction. Having been able to read Notes was somewhat of a feat for me, considering I had to deprive myself of my usual sources of entertainment, which are way more appealing than books (to me).
>>
More than any other year at this time. 21 books so far completely read, 2 half-read and 1 a couple of chapters through.
>>
18 books, 8 plays, ~80 essays, 24 short stories
>>
Dunno like 25-30 I'm not counting.
>>
I've read 9 so far but that includes Mason and Dixon and Ulysses, both of which took me a while because I'm relatively old and have started going back to school.
>>
>>7957504

I hope you get things sorted out.
>>
>>7954112
like a million.
>>
>>7954112
bragging topic. lol.
>>
>>7955892

>it took him more than three days to read the Iliad
>>
File: 2016-04-24_00-08-31.png (306 KB, 663x471) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-24_00-08-31.png
306 KB, 663x471
And I'm currently reading Siddhartha!
>>
File: 2016.jpg (398 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
2016.jpg
398 KB, 1500x1125
in which i daringly combine the 'what have you read so far this year' thread with the 'take a masturbatory picture of your bookcase' thread
>>
I'm a very slow reader and a /lit/ noob. I don't spend a lot of time reading, but I just got through The Long Ships. Amazing. I almost cried at the end.
>>
>>7959011
Keep having low standards and you'll never be disappointed!
>>

I usually stick to books around 250 pages in length.
>>
It's not the quantity that matters, but the quality. If I remember properly Umberto Eco once said that it's better to have read and re-reread just one book than 1000 books but badly, and he was right; he was, also, the owner of something like 500.000 books.
>>
>>7959601
>>7959659
Oh shit, you read The Long Ships too. What did you think of it?
>>
>>7959714
i really enjoyed it, it was so much fun. it had a perfect balance between the no nonsense violence and slavery and what have you and still having appealing characters and not being too edgy. also it was frequently hilarious
it's so enjoyable and i was sad when it was over.
>>
>>7959725
I felt exactly the same; especially about the humor. The action sequences were also all spectacular. I really felt for Orm in almost every chapter. It's really wonderful. I'll definitely be recommending it to everyone I know.
>>
>>7959691
Didn't he have a separate house just for his books? The absolute madman.
>>
>>7954112

34-36. Some 15.000 pages. I cut my internet time waste to a fifth at the start of the year and read instead.
>>
>>7954122
Thanks for sharing anon :)
>>
>>7954112
The Pale King
The Magicians
Paulina and Fran
Gravity's Rainbow
Caves of Steel
As I lay Dying
The Sound and the Fury
Bogleheads Guide to Finance
The Lady's not for Burning
White Noise

So 10 I guess, but it felt like more.
>>
>>7960029
Ah, I forgot
a Canticle For Leibowitz
Time's Arrow
Benjy Franklin's Autobiography

so 13
>>
>>7960029
>>7960078
And Catch 22
So 14

I guess it's kinda pointless if I can't remember which books I've read
>>
>>7960029
How was the pale king? Love true detective and nic.
>>
16 novels, 4 novellas, 9 short stories, 1 Shakespeare play, 3 epic poems, 47 sonnets, and 2 haikus.
>>
Re-read all the Harry Potters
A Study in Scarlet
Everything is Illuminated
SteppenWolf
The Stranger
The Book of the New Sun
Infinite Jest
Cat's Cradle
Wolf in White Van
When You Are Engulfed in Flames
Naked
Moby Dick
Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
A Confederacy of Dunces
Master and Margarita
The Way of Kings

Just got to the second part of Don Quixote.

After that I have to read The Baron in the Trees for my book club and then I was either going to read Words of Radiance or start a re-read of The Edge Chronicles.

From what I've read so far:
I'd put A Confederacy of Dunces in my top 10
David Sedaris is an enjoyable author when I want something light
Master and Margarita and Cat's Cradle were a bit of a let down
The Book of the New Sun was great, particularly Sword of the Lictor
The Way of Kings was cool but Sanderson can't write a female character for shit
I read IJ so now I'm cool right?!
In retrospect Sorcerer's Stone and Prisoner of Azkaban are amazing and the rest are just OK.
>>
david foster wallace gives me a hemmorage
>>
>>7959668
""""""low standards"""""
>>
25-29. would be around 45 if I wasn't recently being slammed between work, class, exercise, and my brother's upcoming wedding.
>>
>>7954112
11 books and 37 short stories.
>>
7 books but all in German or French neither of which is my first language
>>
None
Help
>>
File: 21080r.jpg (95 KB, 636x640) Image search: [Google]
21080r.jpg
95 KB, 636x640
Hey, guys. I thought it would be best to ask in--rather than make a--thread:

I'm writing a story, and I'm going into great detail about a song and more specifically, the musical character of the song. I'm using several musical terms which are, naturally, Italian, and I'd just like some opinions on this.

When they're used in music, they are in a present (non-conjugated?) tense.

I feel very strongly that I SHOULD conjugate these musical terms to fit with my writing, but I have doubts that they'll still be musical terms and not just Italian.

(Gonna post this in two or three other threads; cut me some slack mods)
>>
>>7959601
would chill with desu

26 so far OP and around 8k pages
>>
>>7960274
I really enjoyed it. I didn't realize how unfinished it was until I turned the last page and said "what the fuck?"
It's clear that some of the chapters as well we're not finalized, because they come off as more egotistical than most writers end up as. There are also some chapters that are 50 or 100 page long conversations, which are sometimes enjoyable for themselves or a punchline later on but they do tend to meander.

I liked it a lot more than Broom of the System, which I'm reading now and finding not up to par with the rest of Wallace's writing. Which is to be expected, as it was pretty much just his senior thesis. Overall The Pale King is one of the funniest books I've ever read, in part because after watching End of the Tour some of the more conversational chapters feel like Jason Segel talking to me. For some reasons I would smirk a lot at Catch 22 or maybe titter, but PK is a laugh out loud book
>>
File: Qu5THwv.jpg (383 KB, 1439x1547) Image search: [Google]
Qu5THwv.jpg
383 KB, 1439x1547
Finished the 25th today. Trying to get to 100 this year. Being underemployed and heavily caffeinated helps.
>>
>>7961761
The word count to bait ratio is pretty high here.
>>
>>7961824
If someone asked you about a book you read, I bet you'd respond with "it was good"
>>
one
3 if you count manga
>>
Finished 16 so far, started in February
>>
11. :'(
>>
>>7960274
>Love true detective and nic.
What's that have to do with DFW?
>>

wtf is wrong with /lit/
>>
33 so far, but I think at least 4 of those were started in like December
>>
>>
>>7962723

Most people here use their time in a 1:10 reading/shitposting ratio.
>>
The Road
The Jungle Book
The Heart of Darkness
Life Inc. by Douglas Rushkoff
Saughterhouse Five
currently on pg 518 of IJ
>>
>>
30 books +2000 or so pages in course lit that i didnt account for
>>
File: images[1].jpg (19 KB, 444x666) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
19 KB, 444x666
Not many, but these days it's all technical volumes with some historical nonfiction thrown in.

So I haven't actually read any books from cover to cover this year. Haven't since I finished High School four years ago.
>>
>>7963582
Leave this board please.
>>
Like 5
>Foucault's pendulum
>Shadow and claw
>against the day (although I read about half of it last year)
>At Swim Two Birds
>Absalom, Absalom!
I feel kind of pathetic desu. Reading the instructions right now.
>>
>>7963601
Pardon me for reading something useful instead of genre fiction and pseudo-philosophical masturbatory guidebooks.
>>
>>7954112
>>
>>7954112
I think only three or four. I suck all kinds of shit.
>>
I'm a severe illitarate by your standards, I'll admit, but if you have a job and a hobby/project, how can you even read a book a month?
>>
>>7963708
You can't, anon. They're all neets.
>>
Haven't read anything since school started in September. The semester is over now and I'm halfway through Walden.
>>
>>7963708
maybe reading can be your personal project???
>>
>>7963708
read instead of watching tv
read instead of (or while) listen to music during commute
read before you fall asleep
1h/day & ~0.5page/min adds up to more than a Karamazov per month.
You don't have to be neet to read, you just have to like it.
>>
>>7963708
Say your book is 300 pages (which is pretty standard). If you read ten pages a day, which is roughly 15 minutes, give or take depending on how difficult it is: your reading speed, difficulty of the book, page size, font size, margin width etc, then you can still read three books a month.

I don't care how busy you are, if you say you can't spare 15 minutes a day, that every single set of 15 minutes of your day is so well used that you can't give anything up (you are on 4chan right now), then I call you a lair.

>>7963720
Bait asides it's clear from the NEET threads that come here every now and then that the majority of people on /lit/ aren't NEETs.
>>
>>7954778
you review the Dr. Seuss books and all the fiction you read as a teen, then read more of that stuff.

I recently set my monthly reading challenge too high and had to read some children's books so I wasn't off course. I think alot of people do that.
>>
I'm at 92 out of 250. Currently working on Women and Men and the Dying Grass, which have taken soooo long to read. I finished The Tunnel last month.
>>
>>7963906
Or, you know, you can love reading and be a bit older.
>>
Ever since I created a goodreads account with my new kindle I found out I was severely under-read so I found a /pol/ list (pls no bully) of 100 essential books and going through that right now. trying to manage one book a week quite unsuccessfully but I did read 8 so far
>>
>>7961799
That's 1.25 a week....
>>
Second Foundation
Childhood's End
Ready Player One
2001: A Space Odyssey
And just finished I, Robot

Currently 4/5th into the Iliad, and then going to start Neuromancer.

Audiobooks help a nice deal.
>>
>>7963720

I just rounded 16.000 pages and I work.

I just hardly shitpost anymore. After a week it's just eternal recurrence anyway.
>>
Somewhere around 13-15 plus a few books in the Bible
>>
Fanhrenheit 451
The mask of Innsmouth
I started reading a few weeks ago please no judge
Currently reading Dracula
>>
>>7964059
How is 'I, Robot' novel? I didn't like the movie at all, but i want your opinion on the book, i might like it
>>
>>7964183
It's an entirely different thing, it's actually a collection of short stories about a group of people and how they deal with robot shenanigans related to the 3 laws of robotic. It's also basically divided into 2 kinds, the ones involving Paul and Donovan are relatively humorous due to their interactions, and the ones involving the Dr. Susan Calvin are more serious.

It's definitely worth a read, since it's not that long actually, and the solutions to their problems are quite ingenuous.
>>
File: sread.png (692 KB, 720x768) Image search: [Google]
sread.png
692 KB, 720x768
I'll probably finish À Rebours and the Dalkey Report today though
>>
Three

Ulysses, Siddhartha, Crying of Lot 49
>>
>>7963708
Audiobooks while doing mindless work or during the trip in the bus/train. I finished over 15 books this way, so far, since last year.
>>
Fear and Trembling
Either/Or
Straw Dogs
Zarathustra
Commiefesto
This is not a pipe
I'm aiming for a personal record
>>
>>7964391

How accessible was This is Not a Pipe? What background would be required to understand?
>>
>>7955177
No book worth reading takes less than 3 weeks to full appreciate; and by that I mean, read, re-read, take notes, then compare notes with somebody else who read the novel and have an enlightening discussion about the novel.

Then after all that is said and done, you're permitted to read it again
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.