[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At barnes and noble. What should I get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3
File: barnes-noble_coupons.png (247 KB, 1440x828) Image search: [Google]
barnes-noble_coupons.png
247 KB, 1440x828
At barnes and noble. What should I get?
>>
Black Jewels Trilogy
>>
>>7953697
The latest issue of Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.
>>
>>7953697
the hell out of there.
>>
>>7953707
Kek
>>
An espresso con panna while using their free wifi to surf libgen.
>>
>>7953697
Just go into Starbucks and get a frap
>>
>>7953720
This.
Or use their free WiFi to order a cheaper book
>>
A Funko! Pop.
>>
Upufludkyskyslhxkgzjtzmgzmgxxxxh
>>
>>7953727
Backed. Green Tea Frappucino.
>>
Infinite Jest
>>
>>7953774
This. Get that. You won't regret it
>>
>>7953727
This
>>
special order a book about the death of independent bookstores
>>
Stuff
>>
Why is it that B&N check-out workers never comment on my books that i buy? They dont even say "enjoy!" or some shit like that.

I bought Remembrance of Things Past at a small used bookstore and the owner and i ended up talking about the book and Proust for a good 15 minutes.

Are corporations destroying intimacy in business?
>>
Adams, The education of Henry Adams
Cormen et al, Introduction to algorithms
DK Publishing, The Sherlock Holmes book
Hunt/Thomas, The pragmatic programmer
Ligotti, The conspiracy against the human race
Steadman, College Caesar
Anonymous, Hypersphere
Beckett, Molloy; Malone dies; The unnamable
Bukowski, South of no north
Burroughs, The nova trilogy
Coover, The public burning
Delany, Dhalgren
DeLillo, Underworld
Eliot, The waste land
Faulkner, The sound and the fury
Gaddis, The recognitions
Gass, The tunnel
Hawkes, The beetle leg
Hemingway, A farewell to arms
Herbert, Dune
James, The varieties of religious experience
Knuth, The art of computer programming
Land, Fanged noumena
Lovecraft, The new annotated H. P. Lovecraft
Mairowitz, Kafka
McElroy, Women and men
Melville, Moby-Dick
Miller, Batman: the dark knight saga
Myhrvhold, Modernist cuisine at home
Nabokov, Pale fire
Nilsen, Big questions
Peake, Titus groan; Gormenghast; Titus alone
Penrose, The road to reality
Pound, ABC of Reading
Rushdie, The Satanic Verses
Sacco, Palestine
Smith, The legend of the 10 elemental masters
Stein, The making of Americans
Theis, The eye of Argon
Tolkien, The Silmarillion
Vollman, The Dying Grass
Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-five
Washington, Up from slavery
Williams, Stoner
Wolfe, The book of the new sun
Woolf, The waves; A room of one's own
>>
>>7953873
Its hit and miss for me. One time i went to buy Infinite Jest and the worker made a comment how it was a fantastic book. I usually have more conversations with workers from Half Price since they really like books
>>
>>7953873
Sometimes they do for me. I think a lot of them just don't read. One of them recommended a Chekhov play when I bought The Trial.
>>
>>7953873
idk man. Buy like 5 Dr. Seuss books and Gravity's Rainbow then act retarded at the checkout and say those were books your friend said were at your reading level.
>>
>>7953707
this, barnes and noble is essentially cancer.
>>
>>7953697
Books
>>
Buy a movie
>>
>>7953697
Bring up all the copies of Mein Kampf to the counter and say, "How many more copies do you have in the back? A synagogue just opened in my neighborhood." Then say haha just goofing and buy the twilight trilogy on DVD.
>>
>>7953770
Never tried that. Is it good?
>>
>>7953888
why would you get trips and not shitpost?
what the hell is wrong with you?
>>
>>
Why does B&N have a better manga section than a western comics section? My local B&N has literally no DareDevil in the entire store
>>
File: 1422841146084.png (132 KB, 222x319) Image search: [Google]
1422841146084.png
132 KB, 222x319
>>7953873
>implying they read
>implying they should commend you on buying the /lit/ reading list
>implying anyone cares about you
Good job, anon.
>>
>>7954052
It is surprising
>>
Nothing the place is a rip off made for ignorant millennials.
>>
>buying overpriced shit from B&N

PLebbed it
>>
>>7953720
The only correct answer.
>>
Nothing. Go to a fucking library, pleb.
>>
Oydoxyoyx
>>
>>7953873
I am a Barnes and Noble employee and I can't tell you first hand that I have been told to have quick interactions with customers at the check out line. Many times, I've had customers come up to the register buying something that I would really love to talk about. But I had to hold my tongue. Yes, corporations.
>>
>>7953697
only books worth the money there are the public domain ones which sell for like 3 for a dozen or something. their classic covers are all complete trash, avoid those

only reason to go there is to meet women or to buy 50% off criterions and its not that time of the year

maybe, maybe buy a radiohead or nine inch nails record if it's less than $20 and you dont already own it
>>
>>7953697
good enough sense to shop on Amazon instead.
>>
Book stores can technically harm people actually looking to read but too stupid to find out which or what books to buy, as oftentimes they have such a limited selection and when it comes to things like non fiction works you see mostly NEW publications (naturally) which people buy off shelves cause the NYT best seller sticker.

Specialty libraries still can harm people cause they get so wrapped up in their idea of what is good and circle jerking with whoever works there, while on /lit/ you have people telling you you have shit taste, bad opinions, pleb etc.

/lit/ and amazon should be your shopping destinations.
>>
I work at a Barnes and Noble if anyone has any questions. I'll answer whatever I don't give a fuck.

>>7953873
I talk to nearly everyone about their purchases when I'm up at cashwrap. It makes the day better and it inflates my ego when people tell me I have great customer service.

Only time I don't is when people are buying divorce books or romance novels.

>>7954574
Get better MODs yo
>>
>>7954052
Big box book stores are notorious weeb hangouts. I think the one in my hometown mainly served as a place to browse manga and play Yu-gi-oh
>>
>>7953991
This is the only suggestion of merit
>>
>>7953705
>not Analog
>>
>>7954744
Should I shop at Barnes and Noble?
>>
>>7954825
Yeah sure. It' can be a bit pricey but you can usually find something decent on sale
>>
>>7954830
Thanks for answering, but you are cancer as well as your store. Amazon, Half Price Books always have a larger, better selection for a cheaper price.
>>
>>7954880
But then you miss out on my million dollar personality and 5 o'clock shadow.

Plus being a BN member makes the deals better than Amazon anyway
>>
Tydllstlystossto
>>
>>7954744
Yo my dad just renewed our membership from several years ago. Rep said I can't get the welcome coupons even though it's almost like a new account. Any way I can get around this?
>>
>>7953873
This is why record stores are fun, listening to neckbeards and hippies have autism attacks over debating captain beefheart is great
>>
>>7954921
Not for the $50 in new coupons if it's a renewal unfortunately, only way to get new ones is to open a "new" membership.

If you wanted to be that customer you could always move up the line of complaining

Should be getting the May coupons pretty soon and I guaranfuckingtee there will be an e-mail coupon for Mother's Day
>>
>>7954936
Yeah I guess I should have done my research first. Oh well. The online account is new, but it's linked to that old number. Anyway, even with my membership, for example, HP8 40% off hardcover seems to come out online to the same price as Amazon. The only benefit I see is being able to get it in store. How exactly is my membership cheaper?
>>
>>7954955
Free express online shipping for whatever you want, plus the coupons you get stack on whatever you want them to. If it floats your boat could use two of the 20% off coupons plus your member discount, not to mention it works in the cafes.

Not saying it's better than Amazon, it's just competition. Like you said, you can always pick shit up in store instead of waiting for it to be delivered
>>
Cluucp
>>
Gcgvyvyvyv
>>
>>7953945
Why is this? Seems pretty convenient to just walk in and find any book you'd like to read, the atmosphere is nice, there are cute weeb girls in the Manga section, and there's coffee.
>>
>>7953697

Don't get a barn there if you're in the market for one.
>>
Get Starbucks
>>
>>7953991
This, or get something on the Iron Pill reading list. For whatever reason I can't seem to find any of them at my local library. Rather disappointing desu.
>>
>>7953888
>>7954010

>why would you get trips and not shitpost?

>Anonymous, Hypersphere

>falling for this meme
>>
>have $70 left on student funds card until the end of the semester
>realize I can spend it at the uni book store, which is actually a barnes and noble with textbooks on an upper floor
>sweet, I can buy some books
>go to check it
>two shelves of fiction
>two shelves of non-fiction
>displays with ready player one and song of ice and fire
>500,000 uni sweatshirts and bumper stickers filling every other inch of the store

Fucking gamestop.
>>
Thirty two copies of Finigan's Wake, so you can read them all and understand the infinite loop of life.
>>
J
>>
>>7953697
get out of there
>>
>>7953697
whatever you want to?
But on a premise of books that look nice:
Oxford edition of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, American Psycho, and idk
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.