[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post peices of literature that women will never understand.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 6
File: If-by-Rudyard-Kipling.jpg (401 KB, 959x1544) Image search: [Google]
If-by-Rudyard-Kipling.jpg
401 KB, 959x1544
Post peices of literature that women will never understand.
>>
Kipling's poetry will outlive those who call it misogynistic or racist, and it will outlive these concepts.
>>
Where, at war with Life and Conscience, he uplifts his erring hands
To some God of Abstract Justice—which no woman understands.
>>
Sound and the Fury t b h
>>
>>7949539
All of the pre-20th century literature.
>>
God how I despise women
>>
>>7949612
you're an idiot
>>
>>7949588
do you seriously believe in the white mans burden? lol
>>
when i read that i just get angry at how stupid women are
>>
>>7951838
If I believed in universal moral obligations, I would've believed in white man's burden.
>>
>>7949539
Woman here. What does this poem mean?
>>
>>7951899
you wouldn't understand
>>
>>7951903
Humour me.
>>
>>7949539
>peices
>>
>>7951838
>tfw the poem itself predicted all the people who chimp out about it.

Yeah, I do
>>
>>7951907
A man wouldn't have asked to be humored. That's mostly the point.
>>
File: If9.jpg (26 KB, 600x361) Image search: [Google]
If9.jpg
26 KB, 600x361
preferred the movie adaptation desu

i like the part where there is a beta uprising and they shoot up the school
>>
>>7951931
Why do you think that is?
>>
"If" by Kipling
>>
memes aside how do I stop being sexist
>>
>>7951935
Because I can make an allowance for your doubting but still believe in myself.

That's not to say being asked to be humored is inherently bad, it's just not masculine.
>>
>>7951943
Uhh, you can't????

Shitlord, check your priv.
>>
>>7951946
Surely you can explain what you believe? What is the harm in that?
What does the poem mean?
>>
>>7951928
>>tfw the poem itself predicted all the people who chimp out about it.
what the fuck does this even mean
i want /pol/ to leave
>>
>he thinks there is objective meaning to everything that could be "understood"
>>
>>7951943
By accepting that women are fundamentally different from men, currently misled, suffering from crippling nihilism and that none are more depressed about their state than themselves.

Hating women is beneath you.
>>
>>7951966
I never said I hated them
>>
>>7951966
>By accepting that women are fundamentally different from men
Isn't that the definition of sexism?
>>
>>7951970
No. Sexism is thinking one is better than the other. Their being different does not imply quality.
>>
>>7949539
I'm a woman and it has a personal meaning for me even if people tell me I am wrong for thinking what I do about it.
>>
>>7951907
>>7951959

It's about living up to your nutsack
capiche
>>
>>7951984

And what is it you think about it
>>
File: 16.jpg (448 KB, 1025x1280) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
448 KB, 1025x1280
>>7951969
Either way, start thinking of yourself as complimentary, both in body and essence.

I strongly recommend Paradise Lost to get a sense of this.
>>
>>7951943
Stop thinking of a population consisting of billions of individuals as acmonolithic block.
>>
>>7951959

It's just about the sentiment of struggling against the world and demanding a lot of yourself without reward from others. What your take from it is whatever you want.

There is no defined meaning to a poem. I know you're just leading this along, but common.

That people chimp about about rugged Romanticism is always good for a laugh though.

>>7951961
>what does that mean
>it's hard to understand so it's pol

Jesus, I've never even been in pol but retards like you make me wonder
>>
>>7952001
Seem pretty easy to understand. A little shallow actually.
>>
>>7952049
>uses phrases like 'chimp out'
>calls other people retards
ok pal
>>
>>7951899

Men have a nihilistic drive within them that is stronger than what exists within women. Of course, I can't assume to know exactly the inner thoughts of every woman. But from conversations and examining the philosophies of both, this is something I can say with as much certainty as anyone can ever have about the inner workings of the minds of others. That's not to say some women can't have nihilistic drives or musings, but the tendency towards it is much less in women than it is in men.

This nihilistic drive in men can drive them towards self-destruction and depression. There is no escaping this nihilism, as a man. It can only be confronted. And confronting it, men can lose themselves to it. Suicide, violence, the horrors of man - these are the results of men losing themselves to nihilism.

So to be a successful, happy man, one the escapes self-destruction and world-destruction, two things are necessary over all: Will and Discipline. Will to keep going in the face of this nihilistic drive, and discipline to confront it without losing yourself to it.

This poem describes various admirable feats of Will and Discipline that indicate a man capable of facing his inner drive of nihilism. That's why someone is not a "Man" until they can do all these things (or similar acts of will and discipline). Because, lacking these things, a man will not truly be a happy, successful Man.

Lacking both Will and Discipline, he will fall into despair, becoming useless.

Having Will, but not Discipline, he will either fall to self-destruction or become a monster.

Having Discipline, but not Will, he will be a neat and tidy person but lack all ambition, never able to confront the nihilism within him, he will always live with insecurity and doubt.

You must have both.

That's what this poem is about.

> inb4 "ur a fag"
>>
lol if.. really if? a mediocre poem that the plebbiest of plebs can get some meaning from? ok kid
>>
>>7952057
>logical fallacies like guilt by association
>thinks his bourgeois language policing is an argument
>attempts dismissal

Oy vey, pullin' out all the stops.
>>
>>7952059
I'm saving this.
>>
> keep calm and carry on

That's what it seems to mean, I've got a mug that has that printed on it.
Was this poem what inspired that saying?
>>
File: 1439681622649.jpg (85 KB, 600x1067) Image search: [Google]
1439681622649.jpg
85 KB, 600x1067
>>7952059
>>28041728
yes weak men fall for this meme since they crave the validation of their existence and get depressed if they fail to feel relevant, responsible.
The best way for a man to cater his need for approval is to serve some woman (and some of her children) through emotional&financial support.
Men are pleased to contribute to someone else life, to support their family.

Why women are a good way to feel relevant? Because women love to be provided for and each woman will always find a man ready to please her.

THe problem for men is that they are disposable in the eyes of each woman, since all men wish to serve the few women who talk to them.
Men must thus invent several ways to please women, invention and creativity which strengthen their feeling of being worthy, relevant, in tough with reality.
Men are too impotent to find other way to feel real.
Once that the a woman replaces a man by another provider, the man gets very upset and depressed.
THis leads men to think that they are better than women, stronger, smarter and that they must built a life outside women. Some men manage to indeed built an empire, but they will always loos it for some women.
Women give meaning to men and betas, no matter how successful outside women, will always give up everything for some relationship with some woman who claim to fancy them.
>>
>>7952128
No that was a phrase invented in case of Britain's defeat by the Nazis, but shelved for being too patronising.
Every time I see it I get angrier.
>>
>>7952155

You are caught up in the modern gender dialectic, with its typical obsession and reductionist tendencies in regards to sexual motivation.

Family is important - in fact, a stable family is the greatest project that almost every man can participate in. But if you seek meaning in serving women, you are lost. There is no meaning in serving women. Meaning comes from your confrontation with your inner nihilist drive. If you try to escape your inevitable duty through pursuing women's approval, you're going to end up insecure, depressed, angry and quite frankly pathetic.

Women alone can never give life meaning. If you're looking for social relationships to ease the pain of the inner drive, you're much better off forging friendships with men than you are pursuing relationships with women. Family can be a way to spit in the eye of your nihilist drive, but you will likely not be all that successful at raising one unless you confront your nihilist drive first.
>>
>>7949626
All of the stuff before the latest pomo/contemporary books actually.
>>
>>7952055
because your understanding of the thing is shallow you mistake the thing itself for shallow. Not so.

because your understanding of my life is shallow does not mean my life is shallow, it is a reflection of your own shallowness to dismiss the experience of men so easily.

Obviously, as expected, you didn't understand.
>>
>>7952155
Was this written by a semi-literate female?
>>
>>7952197
How can meaning come from nihilism? Mustn't we embrace the absurd? Reject meaning and simple narratives?

Life has no simple answers.
>>
>>7952265
Some beta lib who takes a devil's advocate r9k angle when he encounters Sexism/racism.
Characteristics:
>atrocious grammar and punctuation, despite spending 5 years to get a communications degree
>a gambit of pictures of cuckoldry and emasculation, perpetrated against what he had entirely imagined to be his adversary; oblivious to the fact it's been shown on many occasions that pol and int are not white majority boards.
>half baked satire of what he thinks are core "alt right" beliefs
>>
>>7952268

Meaning cannot 'come' from nihilism. Nihilism itself is a rejection of meaning. It is also, in a material world, the closest approximation to philosophical truth that humans are ever going to get to.

But in that, it is also the engine of so much human creation. Humans create myths, cultures, philosophies, in the face of the tension that nihilism introduces. Nihilism is the void that drives the engine of the human mind.

That's why it must be confronted. Yes, there is a danger in confronting nihilism, as I said. But without confronting it, you are cutting yourself off from the engine of creation. You must have the courage to consider nihilism, confront it, and ask yourself: "How can I explain this? In the face of this, how can I create meaning? What will life be with this?"

No one has ever found a satisfactory answer to the question of nihilism. That's what makes it such an effective engine.
>>
>>7952235
What does 'living up to your nutsack' mean? At the moment I cannot help but believe that you are projecting your own ignorance on to me. It is incredibly easy for you to say that that sentence is the meaning and I am shallow for not deriving much out of it. Much easier than actually attempting to demonstrate what you derive from such a sentence. I am interested in attempting to learn and if you do not provide me with it I am just going to assume that you do not actually know.
>>
>>7951961
What part of that didn't you understand? Seems pretty straightforward to me.
>>
>>7952059

That sounds like a militaristic reading desu
>>
>>7953817

How so
>>
Anyone got anything else?
>>
>>7952426
>What does 'living up to your nutsack' mean?
guess
>>
>>7953817
A man with those traits would be a tough adversary, but nothing about the poem means you need to join the military or start wars.
>>
>>7951943
Love them, don't put yourself on a moral high ground and understand that you and all women and everyone else are infinitely far from anything resembling goodness, and since your infinity from goodness is the exact same as theirs to hate them for their faults is accepting hatred of yourself and all of humanity as well.

You're the servant demanding ten shekels of their peer right now while you owe millions.
>>
>>7952059
Men don't have a stronger death drive or inorganic sympathy than women. That's such a meaningless point.
>>
>>7952155
I thought we were done with red pill mysoginy
>>
Perhaps so, but I see little worth in 'understanding' moralizing poetry of the gilded age, devoid of semblance of rhythm or the real profundity which only poetry and music can achieve. Women do not understand those lines in the same way I do not understand People magazine; and I may well be better off not understand People magazine.
>>
>>7954657

not understanding People magazine*
>>
>>7954545
acknowledging women superiority is not misogyny
>>
>>7952059
Man here

Can confirm
>>
>...because fortune is a woman, and if you wish to keep her under it is necessary to beat and ill-use her; and it is seen that she allows herself to be mastered by the adventurous rather than by those who go to work more coldly. She is, therefore, always, woman-like, a lover of young men, because they are less cautious, more violent, and with more audacity command her.

Machiavelli - The Prince
>>
tee hee doo doo head girls r dumb
>>
>>7954698
You're dumb.
>>
>>7949539
All pieces of literature.
>>
>>7954698
>watch ex machina
>interesting movie that explores various themes, what it means to be human or what being a human or alive really is
>recommend to a friend
>I DIDNT LIKE IT
>oh ok, how come?
>SHE LEFT HIM AT THE END. I WANTED THEM TO GET MARRIED

and then first hand I really understood why so many movies jam in unnecessary lovestories or clutter the movie with nonsense

>but women arnt simple minded! they should have the right to vote!
>>
>>7954538

I don't think I ever said they had a stronger 'death drive' or 'inorganic sympathy' whatever those are
>>
>>7954742
>I didn't like what this one woman had to say about about a cheap sci-fi flick that uses beautiful pictures to make you think it's tackling old themes in a new way
>therefore woman should not have suffrage

And you claim THEY are the ones with simple minds? I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked Ex Machina quite a lot and its a very handsome film, but don't try to pretend it's high art. In fact, I'd agree with the sentiment that "I wanted them to get married." The last moments of the film are indeed pretty gut-wrenching. I would not use any movie as a litmus test for good taste - and I most certainly would not use a single testimonial about a movie as a litmus test for the cognitive abilities of half the world's population. She may not be much of a philosopher, but neither are you.
>>
>>7954768
Calm down Hannah Mitchell I don't think he was being serious.
>>
>>7954768
you sound like a biiiiiiiiitch
> I'd agree with the sentiment that "I wanted them to get married."
and an unrepentant sentimental pleb
i'm not even the guy you were talking to, just wanted to say fuck you
>>
>>7954795

Well, I admit to being sentimental insofar as I have sentiments and I think that the expression of sentiment is one of the more important goals of art. Indeed, if you refuse to take into consideration the pathetic (a word I prefer to sentimental) side of art, you are missing the point even more, perhaps, than the woman he was talking about.

But as I said, this whole debate is inconsequent, because films are not high art.
>>
>>7954812
sentimental as in bad
>>
>>7954835

I am quite aware of the negative connotations of the word 'sentimental,' and that is why I prefer 'pathetic,' although in this context they both mean 'expressing of or relating to sentiment.' So now that we are quite cleared up about the precise connotations of the word being used here, what exactly was your point?
>>
>>7954842
you're an unrepentant sentimental pleb
nobody should listen to anything you say
>>
>>7954845

I am inclined to say that being unrepentantly sentimental (that is to say, appreciative of true sentiment) and being pleb are mutually exclusive in the age of such a monetized and sterilized 'culture.' Far better, as far as I am concerned, to strive for true beauty than to reject it in favor of your monetized (or, to use a Poundian term, usurious) conception of masculinity.Your idea of the masculine belongs on /biz/, not on /lit/, to put it in terms you can understand.
>>
>>7954862
kindly remove your head from your ass
>>
>>7954886
Kindly remove your clay idols from the marketplace.
>>
>>7954903
oh my god you're still doing it you pretentious bitch.

when you reply to this post try not to copy me this time, i know it'll be hard for your female sub-human follower-brain to pull off, but I think if I sufficiently motivate you here it just might happen. best o luck
>>
oh my god pleb is an incredibly stupid construct stop using it you goddamn idiot fucks
>>
>>7954935
Make me
>>
>>7953817
spooked ass nigga
>>
>>7954768
>>7954742
the problem is that you dont know any intelligent women
>>
>>7954946
The odds aren't in his favor
>>
>>7954923

It's OK if you insult me, Frank, but know that I have the entire weight of the Western literary tradition behind me. And far better to be a follower of Shakespeare and Falstaff than a follower of Milton Friedman and Ronald McDonald, it would seem to me. Real manliness is not to be found in this age, nor real femininity.

>>7954935

I agree it is not quite the right word, but that is mostly because the patriciate is dead. There is only the noveau-riche and those who aspire toward the noveau-riche. In effect we are all plebeians, but most do not even know it.
>>
>>7954961
This guy is pure gold
>>
>>7954961
I lik ur writings

to bad u wil never be famous bahaa
>>
>>7954984
>>7954923
This girl is what, sixteen?

One can't take seriously someone who curses so much?

>>7954961
How are Harold Bloom or George Steiner part of the populace?
>>
"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;"

Can you see a woman doing this???
>>
File: 1460697912291.png (98 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
1460697912291.png
98 KB, 500x395
>tfw you delve so far into a universal anthropology of the human condition through your philosophical, literary, and spiritual readings that you progressively realise that women are inferior men, then that they're qualitatively different from men, then that they're not even really human in the important senses of being human, and then that they essentially don't even exist at all
>tfw looking at a woman is like looking at a fattened cactus with tits that is completely reliant on a doting owner who is going to stop caring about it some day
>>
>>7954961

jesus christ
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.