[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
Prolific Edition

Who's your favorite author with 15+ books?
Does too much quantity weaken the quality?

Previously: boards.4chan.org/lit/thread/7937357/sffg-science-fiction-and-fantasy-general
>>
damn, those your PKD's? i dont have nearly that many
>>
Recommendations for god-tier high fantasy?
>>
>>7947444
Shit. Real link:
>>7937357
>>
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 601x600) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 601x600
>>7947445
Nah, just Google Images. One day, though. It's cool that Vintage and Mariner have both done his complete SF novels.
>>
>>7947447
I'm gonna start by assuming you've read Tolkien, GURRM etc...

Despite memery, Wolfe's stuff is solid - start with Shadow of the Torturer, you'll know pretty soon if it's for you or not.

Wizard of Earthsea and its sequels are also decent, though a bit YA. Maybe Raymond Feist in a pinch?

Don't bother with Terry Brooks, anything he didn't nick from Tolkien is boring and shit. Plus the Shannara series is pushing 30 books and shows no signs of slowing down.

Rothfuss is middle-tier, not a great prosesmith but his story clicks along smoothly enough. Protagonist's a bit overpowered and edgy.

People will also rec you Brandon Sanderson's 900-page bricks, but desu I've no idea what order they're meant to be read in. Mistborn first? Way of Kings? Warbreaker? How does the whole Cosmere business work, Sandersonfags?
>>
>>7947507
>Don't bother with Terry Brooks, anything he didn't nick from Tolkien is boring and shit.
Shannara isn't great, but it's far from unreadable.
>>
>>7947447
Jorge Luis Borges.
G. K. Chesterton.
Lord Dunsany.
E. R. Eddison.
Mervyn Peake.
Salmon Rushdie.
>>
>>7947523
>high fantasy
>>
>>7947532
Eddison and Dunsany are high fantasy.

The rest of the list, yeah, not the same thing. Borges and Chesterton are great, Peake is overrated Stockholm Syndrome, and I actually have not read Rushdie because I am not a faggot.
>>
>>7947444
>Who's your favorite author with 15+ books?
C. J. Cherryh of course. 70+ books and still publishing regularly.
>Does too much quantity weaken the quality?
Nah, she's just consistant, and really old.
>>
>>7947447
Does Bakker count as high fantasy? If so, read Bakker
>>
>>7947444
I love those PKD editions. The futuristic font and the plastic covers really suit PKD's subject matter.
>>
File: 1409478343472.jpg (857 KB, 2403x1074) Image search: [Google]
1409478343472.jpg
857 KB, 2403x1074
>>7947444
Since I'm desperate and don't know where else to go for help.

I was once listening to a podcast about Delta Green, a sci-fi horror roleplaying game, when they mentioned a novel about a man trapped at the edge of the world or the arctic. This man is trapped with another man, and they are attacked every night/day by monsters and must ration out their bullets. I once found an amazon page for the book, but in my stupidity didn't buy it on the spot.

Does anyone have a ANY idea what this book might be?

More details I'm fuzzy on. The cover had a single eye, superimposed on a unset. I think it was set in the 19th century, and focused on the paranoia the two men as they steadily go mad from constant fighting and rationing. At least, I think, I might not be remembering.

Image unrelated.
>>
>>7947593
Do you remember any rare words or phrases that you are certain were used inside the book?
>>
>>7947444
This should be 10's of dick edition.
>>
>>7947444
Roger Zelazny. He definitely peaked early with Lord of Light but still wrote good stuff through the Seventies. Even his lesser stuff is better than average.
>>
>>7947611
No, they didn't mention it on the front page. Perhaps something generic from reviews, like "Man is tested at the brink" or something.

Really pulling my hair out over this.
>>
>>7947593
Could it have been House on the Borderlands?
>>
>>7947624
Text from any page within the book can help identify the book if someone has illegally uploaded it or google books has a copy of some of the pages.
Do you still have your browser history saved?
What was the name of the podcast?
>>
>>7947626
>House on the Borderlands?
Came out much later than that. This book was published in the past 20 years, I think. Definitely 00s. 2008 is sticking in my head about it.

>>7947630
>Browser history
I go on a great search.
>>
>>7947641
These are my guesses from google
http://www.amazon.com/The-Terror-Novel-Dan-Simmons/dp/0316008079/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Drift-Dirk-Clive-Cussler/dp/0425231453
>>
>>7947630
>>7947641
Just searched high and fuckin' low and can't find anything on my search history about it. Searched Amazon, book, and novel, and worked my way back to 2015.
>>
>>7947657
It is most definitely not either of these.

I quite clearly remember the book was about a man trapped in a, tower? With another man, it was just them.
>>
File: 1459640147440.jpg (892 KB, 1112x1280) Image search: [Google]
1459640147440.jpg
892 KB, 1112x1280
COLD SKIN

THE BOOK IS COLD SKIN

YESSSSS

Enjoy some weird Japanese/Portuguese hybrid art.
>>
>>7947690
I'm glad you found it anon because that one had me stumped.
>>
File: 1459640300305.jpg (577 KB, 960x1005) Image search: [Google]
1459640300305.jpg
577 KB, 960x1005
Other half.
>>
>>7947507
>How does the whole Cosmere business work, Sandersonfags?
I recommend just reading Stormlight Archive, the rest is meh. And 900 page Sanderson books are like 500 page other author books.
>>
>>7947697
>>7947690
lovely
>>
>>7947784
>I recommend just reading Stormlight Archive
>one book every 3-4 years
>2/10 done

No thanks.
>>
>>7947791
I don't see what you're implying here. There's already 1500+ pages of content with good resolution, and Sanderson writes fast.
>>
>>7947794
Even if he writes fast he doesn't write faster than most can read.
Also his writing pace is a flaw. Instead of improving his craft he's like a factory line.

Maybe he just really likes writing but part of me can't shake the feeling that most of his pace comes from financial benefits.
>>
>>7947804
I mean I guess if you're one of those people that has to read a series in a row, sure. I don't really care much, I just read other books in the mean time. I think it's worth starting anyways because many people think those two books alone are already some of the best fantasy released.

And I think he just has fun writing and is naturally fast. He focuses on plot rather than intricate prose so he can churn them out relatively quickly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
>>
The only author I know who has a lot of published works and maintains quality throughout is Asimov. He just was monstrously skilled at what he did.
>>
>>7947823
Asimov is not without flaws.
>>
>>7947804

He says he averages 500 words an hour. That really isn't that much. He just has better time management than most authors, and this is certainly helped by having all of his assistants.
>>
Fucking reddit and their shit taste.
155 voted for aSoIaF and only 5 voted for Elric.
What the fuck, this list is full of shitty soap operas, YA trash and unfunny crap.
>>
>>7948011
Sorry grandpa, but Elric is shit and dated.
>>
>>7947823
Lucky Starr, Norby, Fantastic Voyage are all not very good. Basically the only good Asimov's writings are Robots/Empire/Foundation series.
>>7948014
>book
>dated
Go back to /v/, faggot.
>>
>>7948020
You go back to your coffin, and take your boring shit with you!
>>
Is there any good sci-fi based around biological engineering, the overgrowth of jungles and such?
>>
>>7947804
>he doesn't write fast enough but he also writes too fast and for the wrong reasons
>>
>>7946734
Fell apart a bit harsh. They're perfectly readable but what makes Hyperion so special is largely how it's structured. Lacking that it all suddenly feels very much more on the side of generic.
>>
>>7947804
>Even if he writes fast he doesn't write faster than most can read.

Are you really expecting him to write 400 pages a day?
>>
>>7948054
Hothouse has far future Earth as a jungle planet
>>
>>7948071
>>7948121
Do you guys just want to argue for the sake of?

I don't like waiting for series and prefer to read them in one go.
>>
>>7947697
he's a pretty lad
>>
>>7948126

He doesn't write fast enough and you expect him to write multiple hundred pages a day and shit out books in mere weeks?
>>
i need something to read any recommendations?

i've never really read sci fi besides asimov and the forever war any good sci fi worth reading?
>>
>>7948129
You just want to argue for the sake off.

Don't put words in my mouth when you're this fucking autistic because clearly you're unable to know what others think.
>>
>>7948126
That's only an issue in books that don't have good endings, in good series you can just read one book and stop for a while and be satisfied.
>>
>>7948132
>Don't put words in my mouth

This is what you wrote
>Even if he writes fast he doesn't write faster than most can read.
>>
>>7948134
Where did I imply
>you expect him to write multiple hundred pages a day

I only said that he doesn't write faster than most can read which is a fact.
The same goes for probably every writer, pretty much everyone who's literate can read faster than the fastest writers write.

Go to a psych ward you fucking autist.
>>
>>7948140

Most people can read hundreds of pages a day.

You seem to have great anger problems, I doubt you fit in well in society, perhaps the psych ward is more fitting for you
>>
>>7948130
Dune, Ender's game.
>>
>>7948144
>Most people can read hundreds of pages a day.
Doesn't contradict anything I wrote.

Stop replying if you actually agree with me and are just trying to "troll the shit" out of me
>>
>>7948144
>Most people can read hundreds of pages a day
No they can't. Most people barely read one page a day if you want to go by the majority. If you want to go by American standards then the average number of books read per year by adults is 12, half of these adults who read, read 5+ books a year and the other half that don't read, read even fewer books coming out to less than 3 and mostly none. Just a daily reminder if you read one book a year you're already better off than about 50% of the country.
>>
>>7948146
i've read the enders series i read a little of dune but stopped reading it for whatever reason

is it worth picking up again

i'm thinking of reading hyperion?
>>
>>7948151
Can' go wrong with Hyperion. If you like audiobooks there's a version with different narrators for the various parts, very well done.
>>
>>7948149
They can, but they won't.
But most can, physically.
>>
>>7948157
well yeah, It is physically possible to read 2000 pages a day if you really want to and have the focus for it.
>>
>>7948151
Yes. Please. Hyperion is awesome. Be sure to read Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion back-to-back since they're basically one book in two parts.
>>
>>7948126
I think it's because you framed it as a criticism, which would be ridiculous (obviously he can't write faster than people can read). If you'd just said that you don't like reading incomplete series and then having to wait for later books I don't think anyone would have picked you up on it.
>>
>>7948162
Well fair enough
>>
>>7947447
call me a pleb but I'm having a blast reading through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time saga.
>>
>>7948183
pleb
>>
>>7948183
Not read it. The sheer scale of opportunity cost a severe deterrent.
>>
Just about to finish reading the Powder Mage trilogy. Was surprised that it was actually fairly decent.
Does anyone have any similar, flintlock-fantasy recommendations?
>>
>>7948219
Django Wexler usually floated as being in the same sub-genre. Not read either him or McLellan but both somewhere on the todo list.
>>
>>7947444
What are some ongoing series that are really good? I miss the discussions / speculations while waiting with others
>>
>>7948224

Gentleman Bastard - Scott Lynch
Traitor Son Cycle - Miles Cameron
Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson
Divine Cities - Robert Jackson Bennett
The Second Apocalypse - R Scott Bakker
>>
>>7948020
Cave Story is solid as well
>>
>>7948183
I can't imagine anyone "blasting" through it
>>
>>7948228
I had the first three on my radar for a while, so, good to get reconfirmation. Can you talk about the last two a bit? I saw Bakkers books before but covers like that are a turn off 2bh, not really into the barbarian manly men thing. Divine Cities looks almost YA like but I have no clue about it.
>>
>>7948237
Maybe he means with a rifle.
>>
>>7948161
Fall of Hyperion isn't very good though and has one of the worst bullshit deus ex machina endings I've seen. You're better off with the non-ending of the first book.
>>
File: brandon.jpg (24 KB, 333x119) Image search: [Google]
brandon.jpg
24 KB, 333x119
What does he mean by this?
>>
>>7948252
>graphic novel
hard pass

I'm hype for the new Alcatraz tho
>>
>>7948228
It's not really that, more a vehicle for Bakker to explore philosophical and theological concepts in some depth.

Divine Cities is hard to label. Detailing the actions of civil servants/spies, government administration in a setting roughly analogous to the 18th or 19th century tech-wise with powerful deities who may or may not be expired thrown in.
>>
>>7948256
meant for >>7948240
>>
>>7948255

Isn't Alcatraz the children's books?
>>
>>7948228
Never read Divine Cities, but add Hobb's Elderlings books to that, and it's perfect.
>>
>>7948280
yes
>>
File: sharpends.jpg (72 KB, 336x499) Image search: [Google]
sharpends.jpg
72 KB, 336x499
Anyone gonna bother with this? Wonder how badly Joe is phoning it in.
>>
Personally I've always loved David Eddings. Pure fantasy, magic, save the world ect. I've always thought The Belgariad was better than the Malloreon. These are technically only 10 books, but with the two companion it makes twelve, not fifteen I know but close enough.
>>
Finished Mistborn. Pretty satisfying ending, but I don't think I'll read the sequels, at least for now. I need something with more PoV.
>>
Is A Scanner Darkly any use? I thought the film was at least half decent
>>
>>7948351
It's great
>>
>people disregarding him as hippy bullshit because he does drugs

I disregard you if you've never even tried mind expanding drugs. Live a little
>>
>>7948360
Wrong thread soz
>>
The flowchart's recs for a large cast of characters look lame. Do I really have to read Erikson or Martin for many points of view?
>>
>>7948368
Book of the Long Sun
>>
>>7948237
That's not what he said though.
>>
So I'm slowly whittling away at "The Name of the Wind", Is it just me or does it lather on the social commentary too thick? Like I get it already Patrick, you tip the fedora.
>>
>>7948223
Thanks, I'll check them out
>>
>>7948430
He is a stupid fedora progressive white knight and the book shows it. Wait until he starts talking about his totally not Christianity
>>
File: 1453738695816.png (200 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1453738695816.png
200 KB, 512x384
>>7948437
Please god no.
>>
didn't like name of the wind. best i can say for it is it had a lot of 'world building', but much of that wb was unenjoyable shit. don't get the hubbub around the fat fuck who wrote it.
>>
File: Mt. Sanderson.jpg (2 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
Mt. Sanderson.jpg
2 MB, 5184x3456
Ayyy
>>
>>7948442
>heh these stupid religious people don't even comprehend that le miracles are just natural events they don't understand, it wasn't le not jeezus who saved them it was I, Kvothe
>oh these hypocritical priests all are assholes except that one who left the order to care for orphans and they killed him now

That's basically the mind of a 13 year old, but you are now reading a 700 page novel by that 13 year old
>>
>>7948454
That pic is my defining reason why I don't read any of his books.
>>
>>7948454
one look at this man and I can tell a lot from his writing.
>>
>>7948454
I've never understood why Sanderson's books feel so empty and soulless, It's like they're written by formula.
>>
I just read the first chapter of Mistborn. It's really terrible, but It's fine for children. Dont know why you guys would recommend his larger novels unless you're 15 years old.
>>
Ayyy
>>
>>7948493
How is Mistborn large? And people recommend Stormlight Archive instead here for a reason.
>>
>>7948493
Dropped Mistborn for similar reasons but found Stormlight Archive to be a big step up in writing quality.
>>
>>7948494
would hang out with.

>>7948454
would call police on.
>>
>>7948496

That's because stormlight archives is better, I've read both and I loved both, but mistborn starts strong but then fades away as the series progresses while stormlight archives just gets better and better.
>>
>>7947619
is Malazan good?
>>
>>7948554
Yes but a substantial investment.
>>
>>7948564
this might be a super pleb question but I got a lot of fantasy lined up to read and i dont know where to start
I have
>Book of Amber
>Malazan
>Dying Earth
>Zimamvia

I got burned by GRRM being repetitive, both linguistically and actually fucking repeating walls of text, and I dont want to read anything poorly edited or insulting to my intelligence again
>>
>>7948577
Only really Malazan is good out of those, Dying Earth is just good prose with boring plot and Amber is pulp. Haven't heard of the last one.
>>
>>7948577
Amber and Dying Earth all the way friend
>>
>>7948577
If you don't want to read anything poorly edited then avoid Malazan like the plague.
>>
>>7948577
I'm going through the Amber series myself currently so I'll shill that.
>>
>>7948577
Erikson's first novel is pretty bad.
Worse than Deadhouse Gates and the other sequels.

Steven doesn't repeat sentences like GRRM, neither does he have his favourite words which are overused. And you won't get lists either.
The prose isn't great though, it's ok.
Characters can feel samey
The scale is enormous and the worldbuilding is very good.

It won't insult your intelligence.
GotM is pretty poorly edited though
>>
75 days until The Great Ordeal.

Get hyped
>>
>>7948595

>he reads for the plot
>>
More important
Plot vs characters

Hard mode: No mention of prose
>>
>>7948663
A novel without a plot at all can be very good, but a novel with poor characters is always mediocre at best.
>>
>>7948663
always characters
>>
>>7948663

yes
>>
>>7948681
>novels
Read The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas and come back to me.
>>
>>7948323
The Belgariad is mindless fun but the Mallorean was a terrible rehashed cash grab.
>>
File: tumblr_o25lubbSXv1qzwtdlo1_1280.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1575) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o25lubbSXv1qzwtdlo1_1280.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1575
Novels like dark souls? Hardmode: no Vance or Wolfe.
>>
>>7948811
>Suspended in degradation, that dismal place draws people from all over the world.

>Rumors say riches, secrets, and cures for all ailments rest within its borders. However, they hide between roaming abnormalities, monsters that defy the laws of nature and human understanding.

>Within the twisted borders of that once-great Empire, not even the shrouded sunlight can aid foreigners in their pilgrimage. The past and the future become a mix of nearly connected events. Time itself holds no tangible meaning there. Some buildings stand while others collapse. Some weeds grow and choke the landscape while fires burn without fuel.

>Perhaps the mysterious source of why it fell all those years ago is the same reason it still stands today. Contained within this tome are seven accounts from several unfortunate souls, proving only the mad and the desperate would dare to discover what truly lies inside that unhallowed kingdom.
>>
>>7948599
and moby dick
>>
File: viriconium-emiller.jpg (85 KB, 340x527) Image search: [Google]
viriconium-emiller.jpg
85 KB, 340x527
>>7948811
>>
>>7948818
>>7948822
neither of these are challenging or rewarding. dark souls is more than spooky ghosts and ruined walls
>>
>>7948834
:^)
>>
>>7948834
Yes, tall motherly women are a must.
>>
>>7948289
What makes you think he's phoning it in?
>>
>>7948834
That's why you pick up used copies with other peoples' notes scribbled in the margins. I never would have understood Lord of the Rings if someone hadn't wrote "Try Jumping" in the margins every five pages.
>>
>>7948866
Looks a cobbled together stopgap.
>>
>>7948872
try shitposting
>>
>>7948577
Zelazny's prose is amazing. But then again so is his story telling, characterization, &c

>>7948595
>Amber is pulp
Wat.mobi
>>
>>7948889
It has swordfighting, non-standard worldbuilding, a viewpoint nobleman who doesn't want to make Amber a liberal democracy, and Lancelot. Obviously pulp.
>>
>>7948889
Amber is written as well as the Dresden Files

Open the two up and compare them. When Dresden Files is 40 years old, will memers start putting it in with the "classics"? I wonder...
>>
File: Reading order.png (977 KB, 1173x1600) Image search: [Google]
Reading order.png
977 KB, 1173x1600
>>7947507
>Sanderson's 900-page bricks
So a whopping two books then?

>How does the whole Cosmere business work
Many of his books take place within the same universe--specifically, the same dwarf galaxy--and shit happens. That's the most concise way that I can put it. There are different forms of magic on different planets, sometimes recurring characters if you pay enough attention, events on one planet related to, or affecting, another, so on and so forth.

>>7948343
>missing out on the best character
>>
Since i'm a poorfag that can't regularly buy books, and doesn't have an ereader, i've been collecting audiobooks, and despite the size, my "library" is still pretty barebones.

Either way, since /t/ tends to be kinda faulty due to lack of seeders, would you guys want me to upload some of these to MEGA, just for sharing? It's also more along the lines that you can't find free audiobooks on google outside of torrent or paid sites, no direct links or anything.
>>
>>7948889
Amber is pulp, but good pulp, like all good sword and sorcery. It's a book you read for fun, but it certainly does have a respectable degree of quality.
>>7948898
Amber is around 25 years old. It's hardly something very old.
>>
>>7948917
Go to audiobookbay
>>
>>7948942
I did. Torrents there are as lively as they are in /t/, and direct downloads are only available to users with credit cards, despite supposedly being a free download place.
>>
>>7948917
You can use your phone for e-books, if you have a phone with a large enough display.
>>
>>7948898
Is Dresden Files worth picking up? I like the idea of paranormal investigation but haven't found many books about it that are any good
>>
File: 060301_obi_BUTLER_Ex.jpg (90 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
060301_obi_BUTLER_Ex.jpg
90 KB, 600x450
How many SF/F books written by a PoC have you read this year?
>>
>>7948939
Nine Princes in Amber, the first of the series, was released in 1970
>>
>>7948976
It can be pretty cheesy at times, and it takes a book or two for him to really hit his stride.

However, it's a fun series, and you should give it a shot. Just don't expect too much out of it, and enjoy it for what it is.
>>
>>7948986
How is the atmosphere? Is it more mystery then anything?
>>
What fantasy has the undisputed list of best characters?
>>
>>7948962
What's a good app for reading e-books?
>>
>>7949012
Breh, just buy a kindle. I got mine for like 40 bucks. It pays for itself after just a handful of books
>>
>>7949018
>kindle
>40 bucks

Either i didn't search hard enough in amazon, or you bought one used.
>>
>>7948991
GRRM

:^)
>>
>>7949030
Thanks mate.
>>
>>7949028
Shit son. I got mine on black Friday. I didn't know they were 80 bucks regularly. My bad
>>
>>7948990
Mostly yes. It gets a bit more action/mystery as the series develops, but if you're still reading at that point, you're already hooked
>>
>>7948976
Chucked it after 4. Thought it was shit.
>>
>>7949049
I'll give it a try, thanks!

>>7949052
What areas were lacking in your opinion?
>>
>>7949058
A big pile of clichés and stereotypes driven by fan-fic level writing.
>>
>>7949012

I just convert to pdf and use the inbuilt reader
>>
>>7949012
google play books. seriously, best epub reader for any tablet or phone
>>
>>7949088
fan...? wtf? like an oscilating one or ceiling or traditional asian style
>>
Anybody got any hidden gems?

I'm caught up with the heavyweights: ggrm, rothfuss, Sanderson, Erikson, Lynch, Abercrombie etc

Mostly caught up on the newer guys: Lawrence, Weeks, Cameron, Mcclellan, Sullivan
>>
>>7949088
Hmm ok. Do you have any suggestions for books along the same vein?
>>
>>7949142
hobb
>>
>>7949150
As far as urban fantasy, The Magicians. Not so much on the PI angle though.
>>
>>7949142
Danny Petritch, Patty Vortex, Mihael Von Tepid, Lester Craven, Hubby Triumph, Doggy Dinky, Popswitch Lisp
>>
File: retribution-falls-cover.jpg (1 MB, 1006x1540) Image search: [Google]
retribution-falls-cover.jpg
1 MB, 1006x1540
>>7949142
>>
>>7949173
Read it already anon but thanks that was easily one of my favorite recent completed series. They would make fantastic movies too
>>
>>7949166
I've been meaning to read that, thanks
>>
>>7949142
Psalms of Isaac
A cavern of black ice
Lays of Anuskaya
>>
>>7949191
Legs of Darkness
The Ball of Hell
Fires of Ant
>>
File: image.png (3 KB, 195x180) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 KB, 195x180
>>7949172
>>7949197
And a fedora tip to you gentlesir for the chuckle
>>
>>7949209
thx
>>
>>7949197
If that's your best attempt at condescension, you need to step up your game senpai
>>
>tfw over 10k pages worth of backlog and growing by the day
>>
>>7949215
if thats your best attempt and condensation, you'd best try harder on your next attempt, Lord Boppyblack.
>>
>>7949222
If that's your best attempt at constipation, you'd best push harder on your next attempt, poopoocatchoo
>>
grazia deledda
>>
>no mentions of Iain M Bank's Culture series

Shit. I'm still working on Use of Weapons. Did I get meme'd by another sci-fi thread?
>>
>>7949142
Not really hidden but Guy Gavriel Kay is really good, and he comes with the benefit of writing stand alones.
>>
>>7949257
Nah he's worth it, mostly. Feersum Enjinn my fav sci-fi by him tho non-culture.
>>
Have any of you guys read anything from the 1997 Bolo Short stories series?
>>
>>7949284
Nice, I'll check it out. I've been reading the Culture series in publication order, really got blindsided by the end of Consider Phlebas. Saw the twist coming in Player of Games but it was still well executed.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 255x248) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 255x248
>>7948183
Me too friend
>>
File: the expanse books and series.jpg (63 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
the expanse books and series.jpg
63 KB, 600x431
So what do you think about the expanse series, I just started Abbadons gate.
>>
What are some scifi short story collections that are entertaining rather than just cool ideas? Stuff like Ted Chiang is neat, but not what I'm looking for.
>>
>>7948183
Me too, I'm on book 6 but I here it goes downhill for a while after this one
>>
>>7949142
Based on those Stavely a no-brainer.
>>
>>7949321
First one wasn't bad. They're easy reads but ultimately I wasn't all that engaged by them. The horror aspects were neat though
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 160x250) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 160x250
>>7949330
>>
>>7947444
>Who's your favorite author with 15+ books?
Scifi: PKD
Fantasy: Katharine Kerr
Basically the only ones I've read with that many.
>>
>>7949321
Show an improvement being quite honest.
>>
>>7948455
>reading so deep into a fun novel
You fedora atheist ruin fantasy.
Not everything has hidden meaning.
>>
>>7949529
It's obvious that he's talking about how much he hates those fedora atheists in that post.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 292x241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 292x241
ROTHFUSS IS SHIT
SANDERSON IS ANIME
>>
So what's so great about Earthsea? It gets a lot of praise but 60 pages in and I can't find reasons why I should continue reading.
>>
>>7948916
>warbreaker takes place after Way of Kings
What?
>>
>>7949142
Metro 2033, though i'm not sure if it really classifies as sci-fi.
>>
>>7949543
Newsflash: God does not exist
>>
>>7949561
You're reading a children's novel? Why? Are you mentally disabled?
>>
Good books on mythology, gods and stuff that isn't Lord of Light?
>>
>>7949652
The Bible, I saw it in the reddit top 200
>>
I'm new to these genres, what should I read? Just don't recommend LOTR, Hyperion and ASoIaF, I've read those.
Would I enjoy A Time Odyssey or Book of the New Sun?
>>
>>7949662
Book of the New Sun is class.
>>
>>7949662
BOTNS is a meme getting shilled here to the extreme, don't fall for it. Try Stormlight Archive or First Law.
>>
>>7947444
Was gonna say PKD but you beat me too it lol. Maybe RA Salvatore
>>
>You are now aware Aldous Huxley's name is Aldous
>>
>>7949668
Top fucking kek post
>>
File: Fortress_in_the_Eye_of_Time.jpg (47 KB, 288x475) Image search: [Google]
Fortress_in_the_Eye_of_Time.jpg
47 KB, 288x475
>>7949662
You would enjoy this.
>>
>>7949662
The Second Apocalypse by R Scott Bakker
>>
>>7949659
Ovid's metamorphoses. Not even memeing, it's got every greek myth under the stand, covers lots of genres, and there's no continuous narrative so you can skip stories you find boring.
>>
>>7949652
People will not rage, but St. Augustine's City of God contains very useful correct data regarding old Roman religion, as understood by the practitioners, the state and describes its origins.
>>
File: 19468216.jpg (13 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
19468216.jpg
13 KB, 308x475
Just bought this, will read over the weekend.
>>
>>7949652
post-humans becoming 'gods', shit like that? Hannu Rajaniemi.
>>
>>7947697
Beautiful.
>>
>>7949802
looks awful, the type of novel best left to rot in a dumpster somehere
>>
>>7949815
Epic m8
>>
>>7949604
Fedoras are faggots regardless.
>>
>>7949684
You never address him as Aldous, you have to say the whole thing.
>>
>>7949330
I, Robot and the first Foundation book comes to mind, but they're part of a bigger thing, so i don't know if that's your thing.
>>
Hows City of Stairs?
>>
>>7949550
>if i post it enough times maybe it will stick
>>
>>7949857
Hats in general are for faggots.
>>
>>7949882
Yea safe read, covers a lot of ground. Would definitely read more espionage shit in a fantasy/alt world setting.
>>
>>7949173
>>7948818
When I get home i will download the first book for each of these and give it a try.

I mean it's can't be worst than Dhalgren, which seems to be the ramblings of a mental patient.
>>
>>7949882
I enjoyed the gay rape and incest in City of Stairs
>>
>>7949908
I'm aware of the meme but are these actually in there?
>>
>>7949911
Well, there's a closet fag.
>>
>>7949279
I've only read Ysabel. What do you recommend I pick up next? Tigana and Under Heaven come up a lot. (not who you replied to)
>>
>>7949662
Ore No Dying Earth Travelogue Where All The Girls Want My D And Also My Obaa-san Is Now My Kanojo?!
>>
>>7949908
>I enjoyed the gay rape and incest in City of Stairs
You know when we use that meme there is actually all of that in the books?
There is gay, and rape... where was their incest?
It was the second book where that hero guy fucked his mom. not the third.
>>
>>7949919
Lions of Al Rassan is probably his best, Tigana his most famous, the choice is yours. But really, you can't go wrong with anything by him, just picking the historical setting you like the most is a good way to go too.

Also Ysabel is not a good indicator of his writing to be honest, it's probably his worst work by a large margin. So if you had qualms about it, don't worry.
>>
>>7949911
There's some gay. Overall a good book, but can seem a bit hamfisted at times. The sequel is a lot better, not to say that the first one is bad. Give it a shot if you're interested
>>
>>7949919
>Tigana
Yea read that.
I read it years ago(only book of his I read... and probably ever will) and it was great.

Loved how they fool showed the kings emotion.
>>
>>7949908
Come to think of it New Sun has all 3.
Jolenta gets raped, Baldangers is gay and Docras is Sev's granny.
Fuck.
>>
>>7949933
I think The Sarantine Mosaic is his best work (Sailing to Sarantium & Lord of Emperors). But Tigana and Lions of Al-Rassan are also excellent.
>>
>>7949931
You fucking idiot there is no book 3 and City of Stairs was the first and included the incest
>>
>>7949950
>he missed the General that was dedicated to gay, rape and incest
>he missed seeing all the books that included such deliciousness
Hi newfriend
>>
>>7949957
When was the incest?
>>
>>7949999
When you find out that there anti-divine hero was part divine himself and was fucking and eventually killed his own mother
>>
>>7950007
thanks, forgot about that.
>>
>>7949882
Liked it a lot. I've heard some people complain that it's in present tense but I didn't notice at all. It's totally self-contained so you can read it as a stand-alone. It goes for "less is more" as far as worldbuilding goes, just covering what's relevant to the immediate events and characters. Has gay and incest but no rape. Probably my favourite novel that year.
>>
>>7949999
>>7950007
Don't forget Jukov calls Olvos sister-wife and they had a child together.
>>
>>7950021
par for the course for gods
>>
>>7949875
I do mean short story collections, like Wolfe's or Sturgeon's
>>
File: stateoftheart.jpg (229 KB, 831x1300) Image search: [Google]
stateoftheart.jpg
229 KB, 831x1300
>>7949875
potentially, but been a while.
>>
File: warbreakermapsmall.png (401 KB, 1024x634) Image search: [Google]
warbreakermapsmall.png
401 KB, 1024x634
>>7949566
Read the words on the image instead of looking at only the pictures.
>>
File: Dragon Never Sleeps.jpg (534 KB, 1008x1500) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Never Sleeps.jpg
534 KB, 1008x1500
Anyone read this? Anyone ready any Cook, actually.

By the way, if you're interested, I have an epub of this.
>>
>>7950200
His Black Company series is pretty well regarded here
>>
>>7950221
Really? I'd expect it'd be reviled.
>>
Any sci-fi books similar to Battlestar Galactica? I'm guessing there are many, but are there any in particular I should read?
>>
>>7950241
I'm not even sure there is anything that closely parallels the premise.
>>
>>7948663
Only plebs and nonwriters fail to realize its characters that make the plot
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.