[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post god-tier opening lines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 17
File: 1454458481439.jpg (41 KB, 576x463) Image search: [Google]
1454458481439.jpg
41 KB, 576x463
Post god-tier opening lines
>>
I am Ishmael.
>>
Dear friend now in the dusty clockless hours of the town when the streets lie black and steaming in the wake of the watertrucks and now when the drunk and the homeless have washed up in the lee of walls in alleys or abandoned lots and cats go forth highshouldered and lean in the grim perimeters about, now in these sootblacked brick or cobbled corridors where lightwire shadows make a gothic harp of cellar doors no soul shall walk save you.
>>
Every happy family is all smiles, while the unhappy ones are all sorts of faces.
>>
i owe the discovery of uqbar to the conjunction of a mirror and an encyclopedia
>>
't was a stormy night
>>
>>7941454
Arre yoo rready kids?!
>>
Mr. Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowl
>>
For sale:
>>
I'm writer.
>>
Snow-Balls've flown their Arcs, starr'd th' Sides o' Outbuildings, as of Cousins, curried Hats away into the brisk Wind off Delaware,-- th' Sleds'r brought in'nd their Runners carefully dried'n greased, shoes deposited in th' back Hall, a stocking'd-foot Descent made upon th' great Kitchen, in a purposeful Dither since Morn', punctuated by th' ringing Lids o' Boilers and Stewing-Pots, fragrant with Pie-Spices, peel'd Fruits, Suet, heated Sugar,-- th' Children, having all upon th' Fly, among rhythmic slaps of Batter and Spoon, coax'd and stolen what they might, proceed, as upon
>>
CHI
>>
>>7941501
You should be ashamed.
>>
>>7941504
CA
>>
>>7941506
(Sorry)
>>
>>7941509
NO
>>
el peruANO
>>
>Far, far away in the Second World War a certain Anton Steenwijk lived with his parents and his brother on the edge of Harlem.
>>
Kekking, he cuck'd cradled fellow, folly of his own desire, cock crow'd.
>>
Maman be cry.
>>
Lolita! I love you!
>>
I'll be back in two minutes.
>>
>>7941568
lordy
>>
>>7941568
I skipped that chapter.
>>
It was the gamut of times, it was the paradox of times.
>>
A screaming came from swerve of shore to bend of bay, surrounded by heads and bodies.
>>
It was dark in my life and a storm in my loins, my soul sinned in torrents -- except at occasional intervals, when the tip of my tongue checked three steps down the palate to sweep the teeth...
>>
>>7941459
>I am Ishmael.
idiot the line is
*Record scratch* Yup, that's me: Ishmeal.
>>
>>7941502
Yep.
>>
>>7941688
Jackass at least quote the whole thing if you're gonna post it

>*freeze frame as a white whale sinks the final cup in the beer pong tournament*
>"And him? Thats Moby. He's kinda what you'd call a party animal"
>>
Midway upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark,
For the straightforward pathway had been lost.
>>
>>7941688
I'm captain Ahab and I'm here to say
I hate white whales in a major way

*breakdown*
>>
My name is Ishmeme.
>>
>>7941688
>>7941727
Kek!
>>
Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
>>
SEE THE CHILD. He is pale and thin, and wears a thin and ragged linen shirt. He stokes the scullery fire. Outside lie dark turned fields with rags of snnow and darker woods beyond that harbor yet a few last wolves.
>>
j'ai chié si fortement hier soir sur le visage de ta mère.
>>
>Since the passenger train connecting the icebound estates of the southern lowlands, which extend from the banks of the Tisza almost as far as the foot of the Carpathians, had, despite the garbled explanations of a haplessly stumbling guard and the promises of the stationmaster rushing nervously on and off the platform, failed to arrive (‘Well, squire, it seems to have disappeared into thin air again …’ the guard shrugged, pulling a sour face), the only two serviceable old wooden-seated coaches maintained for just such an ‘emergency’ were coupled to an obsolete and unreliable 424, used only as a last resort, and put to work, albeit a good hour and a half late, according to a timetable to which they were not bound and which was only an approximation anyway, so that the locals who were waiting in vain for the eastbound service, and had accepted its delay with what appeared to be a combination of indifference and helpless resignation,might eventually arrive at their destination some fifty kilometres further along the branch line. To tell the truth, none of this really surprised anyone any more since rail travel, like everything else, was subject to the prevailing conditions: all normal expectations went by the board and one’s daily habits were disrupted by a sense of ever-spreading all-consuming chaos which rendered the future unpredictable, the past unrecallable and ordinary life so haphazard that people simply assumed that whatever could be imagined might come to pass, that if there were only one door in a building it would no longer open, that wheat would grow head downwards into the earth not out of it,and that, since one could only note the symptoms of disintegration, the reasons for it remaining unfathomable and inconceivable, there was nothing anyone could do except to get a tenacious grip on anything that was still tangible; which is precisely what people at the village station continued to do when, in hope of taking possession of the essentially limited seating to which they were entitled, they stormed the carriage doors, which being frozen up proved very difficult to open.

i couldn't resist also including the second line
>>
>Russian guy being pulled away by police with blood all over his clothes
>"So you're probably wondering how I got into this mess. My name's Raskolnikov, but my friends call me Rody."
>>
Doctor Pavel, I'm see eye ayy.
>>
>It was a pleasure to burn.
>>
>>7941946

I hate this board
>>
Yeah my mom is dead, nigga you think I give a shit?!
>>
>>7941454
can't you call that an incipit you fucking philistine
>>
>>7941462
Suttree? Or other McCarthy?
>>
ARE YOU READY KIDS?
>>
Father died today.
>>
Howard Roark laughed.
>>
>>7941727
>>7941688
>now you might be wondering how I got myself into this situation
>>
I'm David Foster Wallace and this is a little story I like to call Infinite Jest.
>>
File: 20160420_002954.jpg (447 KB, 1151x861) Image search: [Google]
20160420_002954.jpg
447 KB, 1151x861
>>
>>7942078
FUCK YEAH
>>
Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
>>
>>7942154
Wrong prose translation. No English prose translation beats Samuel Butler:

"Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to Hades, and many a hero did it yield a prey to dogs and vultures, for so were the counsels of Zeus fulfilled from the day on which the son of Atreus, king of men, and great Achilles, first fell out with one another."
>>
>>7942146

Alright this is definitely the next book I'm going to read. This sounds amazing.
>>
>>7942154
take this shit back to >>7937357
>>
>>7942202
Is it in meter?
>>
>>7942202

Nah. I prefer my one.
>>
>>7942224

How about you sniff my ass after a shit.
>>
>>7942227
No it's prose
>>
File: god and man.jpg (225 KB, 1536x877) Image search: [Google]
god and man.jpg
225 KB, 1536x877
>"In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth."
>>
>>7941454
love of my loins, light of my fire, teeth cracks at three, young-fine-still teething, was there a prerequisite for blue balls
>>
cogito ergo sum
>>
>>7942244
i bet you didn't even notice how adam is shying away from the touch, that was Michelangelo telling you you're a sheepletard
>>
>>7942248
explain
>>
>>7941500
Baby shoes,
>>
File: the archangel metatron.png (132 KB, 1000x1108) Image search: [Google]
the archangel metatron.png
132 KB, 1000x1108
>>7942255
Well he did ask for "god-tier" openings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo#Personal_life

>Michelangelo was a devout Catholic whose faith deepened at the end of his life.
>>
>>7942255
You are projecting yourself onto him.

For instance you probably also perceive a small penis when in actual fact Adam is hung
>>
>>7942202
I prefer the screencapped one. What you posted is more idiomatic but has no flavour and no style.
>>
File: IMG_1008.png (2 MB, 1064x983) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1008.png
2 MB, 1064x983
>>7942244
Why do all Christians have such small penises?
>>
Hwæt
>>
>>7942279
You don't give YWH his share, your junk doesn't grow. That's the deal.
>>
>>7942279
Wouldnt the Sistine Chapel be so much nicer if adam sported a 12 incher
>>
>>7942278
The screencapped one was written specifically to appeal to the homosexual market. Just as an FYI.
>>
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into," Eva said, as she tasted bitter almonds.
>>
>>7942236
I get the same effect reading Homer m8
>>
File: kim and kanye star wars.jpg (95 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
kim and kanye star wars.jpg
95 KB, 1200x720
>>7942279
there are many black christians tho
>>
The wrath of Peleus' son, O Muse, resound,
Whose dire effects the Grecian army found,
And many a hero, king and hardy knight,
Were sent, in early youth, to shades of night:
Their Limbs a Prey to Dogs and Vultures made;
So was the Sov’reign Will of Jove obey’d:
From that ill-omen’d Hour when Strife begun,
Betwixt Atrides Great, and Thetis God-like Son.

-- John Dryden
>>
>>7942311
If you're calling me gay then you're faggot.
>>
>>7942343
Achilles' wrath, to Greece the direful spring
Of woes unnumber'd, heavenly goddess, sing!
That wrath which hurl'd to Pluto's gloomy reign
The souls of mighty chiefs untimely slain;
Whose limbs unburied on the naked shore,
Devouring dogs and hungry vultures tore.
Since great Achilles and Atrides strove,
Such was the sovereign doom, and such the will of Jove!

-- Alexander Pope
>>
File: last judgement 0.jpg (3 MB, 2400x2643) Image search: [Google]
last judgement 0.jpg
3 MB, 2400x2643
>>7942244
>>7942255
Fun fact: Michaelangelo wanted to represent God's knowledge through his painting. He had worked as a coroner when he was younger. He had a very deep understanding of human anatomy which also helped him in his paintings. He purposefully illustrated the cloak around God as being shaped in the form of a brain.
>>
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
>>
>>7942375
man i can't believe I read this book series 15 years ago.

by the time the last movie came out i hated the series
>>
>>7942365
Jesus hell, I considered buying that atrocity on /lit/s recommendation. It stinks of English blandness.
>>
>>7942367
>He purposefully illustrated the cloak around God as being shaped in the form of a brain

>[Citation needed]
>>
Lilly, the Caretaker, was literally run off her feet.
>>
>>7942406
The caretaker's daughter, dingus
>>
>>7942397
Rhyming couplets are not for the weak of heart, son.
>>
>>7942443
Just for the weak of aesthetic awareness apparently
>>
File: michaelangelo brain 2.jpg (27 KB, 515x245) Image search: [Google]
michaelangelo brain 2.jpg
27 KB, 515x245
>>7942399
Don't you think it's a little ironic that it looks like there's a giant brain on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, that on closer inspection happens to be God? Michaelangelo didn't just someone know how to draw people perfectly, we know for a fact he spent much of his life working with dead bodies. He did make many allusions within his paintings, and we know he was a deeply pious man.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/michelangelos-secret-message-in-the-sistine-chapel-a-juxtaposition-of-god-and-the-human-brain/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nL4jJ54yQ

http://daciangold.blogspot.ca/search/label/Michelangelo

He truly believed mankind's search for knowledge was deeply connected to God, and therefore man's brain.
>>
>>7941688
Fucking christ
>>
>>7941616
This confused me at first
>>
>>7942465
Dude it's obvious he was just illustrating how it all came from man's brain

Once again and just like every famous artist and thinker in historh, he provably turns out to have been secretly proselytising for atheism. Checkmate, gods!
>>
File: christian scientists.jpg (60 KB, 720x248) Image search: [Google]
christian scientists.jpg
60 KB, 720x248
>>7942492
>secretly atheist

I'm sorry you can't accept that almost all the great scientific breakthroughs in history were by men who worshiped Jesus. Same with most great works of art. Michaelangelo repeatedly said the majesty of creation was his greatest influence.

Even Charles Darwin didn't think his theory of evolution contradicted the teachings of the Bible. Always remember the church itself is oftentimes the corrupt one, not the belief in Jesus.
>>
>>7942508
Christians haven't believed in a thing since Jesus died, they are the original atheists.
>>
>>7942508
Yeah, because they killed you if you contradicted their retarded superstitions.

Think before you post next time, dumbass.
>>
>>7942536
Oh boy here we go
>>
>>7942508
>inventor of the MRI
Why him? That's an achievement, to be sure, but it pales compared to the former five.
>>
>>7942545
They start to run out of prominent 'believers' once the blasphemy laws start being struck down.
>>
>>7941459

It me, Ishmael :3
>>
>>7942508
>born in a society that heavily pushed religious values on everyone
>people were religious
What a shock.

>the majesty of creation
So, he was inspired by the world around him, which might have been created by a god, or might have not.

Try again.
>>
>>7941993

It's suttree.
>>
File: 1429732732335.gif (978 KB, 442x320) Image search: [Google]
1429732732335.gif
978 KB, 442x320
>>7941688
>>
>>7942637
>born in a society that heavily pushed religious values on everyone
>people were religious

You have these in the wrong order. Religion was integral to their lives and so it became (or rather always was) integral to society.

Just stop, nobody gives a shit about atheism and >>7942637 doesnt believe in god even if he thinks he does.
>>
>>7942648
>nobody gives a shit about atheism
Well, that's true, but more and more people are starting to not give a shit about religion either. And it's not like they are actively atheistic, it's more like they just don't care about religion. They don't feel the need to adhere to it.
So what you say is true, but probably not in the sense you had in mind when you typed it out.
>>
>>7942648
You're too stupid to breathe. Blow your fucking brains out.
>>
Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting.
>>
>FEAR stands for fuck everything and run. - Old AA saying.

the book was shit though.
>>
>>7941991
Suttree.
>>
All of this happened, more or less. The war parts, anyway, are pretty much true.
>>
File: 41MgPPLKaRL.jpg (27 KB, 316x500) Image search: [Google]
41MgPPLKaRL.jpg
27 KB, 316x500
>>7941454
From a little after two oclock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that — a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes which Quentin thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them."
>>
>Every year I bury a couple hundred of my townspeople.

From Thomas Lynch's "The Undertaking: Life Studies From The Dismal Trade". It has always made me laugh, for some reason.
>>
>>7942853
Is this the opening to slaughter house 5?
>>
>>7941898
I kekked so hard mon fréro
>>
"There was no hope for him this time: it was the third stroke."
gods god tier IMO

>>7943563
yup. i was talking about that book with my brother and he laughed when i told him that
>>
>>7941727
>Mastodon starts playing
>>
On the day of the thirtieth anniversary of his private life, Voshchev was made redundant from the small machine factory where he obtained the means for his own existence.
>>
>>7942694
hm i wonder what book this is to
>>
A yelling is heard in the air. This is not the first time.
>>
>>7942078

Rand pls go
>>
>>7942367
To show that God only exists in the brain...
>>
Nous étions à l'Etude, quand le Proviseur entra suivi d'un nouveau habillé en bourgeois et d'un garçon de classe qui portait un grand pupitre.
>>
>>7944052
that is french, monsieu.. not in your mouth, monsieur!! even with latex bourn it is a 0.1% risk..
>>
>"It is true that I have sent six bullets through the head of my best friend, and yet I hope to shew by this statement that I am not his murderer."

This one always gets me
>>
You are about to begin reading Italo Calvino's new novel, 'If on a winter's night a traveler'.
>>
She waited, Kate Croy, for her father to come in, but he kept her unconscionably, and there were moments at which she showed herself, in the glass over the mantel, a face positively pale with the irritation that had brought her to the point of going away without sight of him.
>>
"BUBUBUBUBU" said the chicken, open mic held high up in the air.

BEST OPENING LINE EVER!
>>
>>7942263
lightly soiled
>>
>>7942367
What is the significance of "IONAS" in this image? I'm not that well-versed in chrisitan imagery.
>>
File: 1460563464748.jpg (294 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1460563464748.jpg
294 KB, 1462x1462
>>7941688
>>
WhooooOOoooOOOOooooOOOOoooaaa!!!!
>>
>>7941898
q-quelle livre?
>>
>>7941568
fuck
>>
When Franky K. woke up one day he had turned into a fucking giant bug holy shit!
>>
>>7941901
>second line

That's a whole paragraph you silly cunt
>>
"On the 15th of May, 1796, General Bonaparte made his entry into Milan at the head of that young army which had shortly before crossed the Bridge of Lodi and taught the world that after all these centuries Caesar and Alexander had a successor."
>>
File: Chinatown.jpg (37 KB, 600x421) Image search: [Google]
Chinatown.jpg
37 KB, 600x421
>>7941462
And to think the entire book reads like this. Beautiful
>>
>>7944269
and two lines
>>
In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.

~

In the shade of the house, in the sunshine of the riverbank near the boats, in the shade of the sallow wood forest, in the shade of the fig tree is where Siddhartha, the handsome son of the Brahmin, grew up with his friend Govinda.

~

No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences far greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinized and studied, perhaps as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinize the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

~

His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god. But then, he never claimed not to be a god. Circumstances being what they were, neither admission could be of any benefit. Silence, though, could.

Therefore, there was mystery about him.
It was the season of the rains . . .
>>
>>7941462
>cellar doors
pffrrrrt
>>
“Later, as he sat on his balcony eating the dog, Dr Robert Laing reflected on the unusual events that had taken place within this huge apartment building during the previous three months.”
>>
Mom is kill :DDD
>>
>Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
I was pretty hooked from the first line
>>
>>7944095
Does the work involve the breaking of Jian legs?
>>
This morning the hen laid a black egg, yesterday it ate fish.
>>
>>7941454
The Nigger died slowly, but quietly.
>>
>>7945280
Sublime. Music to mein eyes.
>>
"Don't make eye contact," were the last words of the former sherpa, now corpse, which I'm beginning to suspect were not words of wisdom.
>>
>>7941454
They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark on everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger, and it was over.
>>
>>7941454
The world is my representation
>>
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed
>>
>>7946411
why would you bump this shit-ass thread with this shit-ass quote when it was just about to die?

sage
>>
"All happy families are more or less dissimilar; all unhappy
ones are more or less alike," says a great Russian writer in the
beginning of a famous novel (Anna Arkadievitch Karenina,
transfigured into English by R.G. Stonelower, Mount Tabor
3.05 Ltd., 1880). That pronouncement has little if any relation to
the story to be unfolded now, a family chronicle, the first part
of which is, perhaps, closer to another Tolstoy work, Detstvo i
Otrochestvo (Childhood and Fatherland, Pontius Press, 1858)."
>>
>>7941740
>longfellow

mah nigga
>>
>>7946938
...and im referring to his translation of the DC, obv know its dante
>>
>>7941688
>>7941727
kekkek
>>
>>7941616
lmao
>>
>>7946938
Horrible, unreadable translation.
>>
>>7941462
I could orgasm to this prose
>>
>>7941454
Everything is ideology.
>>
>>7942154
Homer is good, but for the pure poetry of an opening line, I prefer Virgil:

>Arma virumque cano
>>
In the last years of the Seventeenth Century there was to be found among the fops and fools of the London coffee-houses one rangy, gangling flitch called Ebenezer Cooke, more ambitious than talented, and yet more talented than prudent, who, like his friends-in-folly, all of whom were supposed to be educating at Oxford or Cambridge, had found the sound of Mother English more fun to game with than her sense to labor over, and so rather than applying himself to the pains of scholarship, had learned the knack of versifying, and ground out quires of couplets after the fashion of the day, afroth with Joves and Jupiters, aclang with jarring rhymes, and string-taut with similes stretched to the snapping-point.
>>
>>7941462
>that many ands

Gotta be McCarthy
>>
>>7941568
>Maman be cry.
More like
>Maman be die.
>>
>>7947544
at least there was no spitting in that line
>>
>>7941515
I'm laughing so hard at this & I have no idea why.
>>
I am seated in an orifice surrounded by hot chicks heads and tight bodies, dawg
>>
File: 1450739551040.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1450739551040.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>7941489
>>
>>7941496
not the first line of the novel reee
>>
>>7942508
>tfw all Maxwell's name means to me is a dumb ass box Oedipa Maas plays with
>>
"Solving the following riddle will reveal the awful secret behind the universe, assuming you do not go utterly mad in the attempt. If you already happen to know the awful secret behind the universe, feel free to skip ahead."
>>
>>7942452
Plebus maximus.
>>
"You're The Star! 40 Thrilling Endings! Will You Become Trapped In Time? You are hiking in Snake Canyon when you find yourself lost in the strange, dimly lit Cave of Time. Gradually you can make out two passageways. One curves downward to the right; the other leads upward to the left. It occurs to you that the one leading down may go to the past and the one leading up may go to the future. Which way will you choose?"
>>
Begin at the beginning.
>>
>>7942465

But how did he know what a section of brain and brain-stem look like on an mri?
>>
>And so, I entered the senior high school in my area. At first, I regretted this decision as my new school sat on top of a very high hill

Volume 1 of Haruhi Suzumiya.
>>
>>7941454
My name is Jeff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utLaZrrPLrk
>>
>>7946958
if you're retarded maybe
>>
>>7942154
Is this Rieu?
>>
The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years- if it ever did end- began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.
>>
Well! If the Bard was weather-wise, who made
The grand old ballad of Sir Patrick Spence,
This night, so tranquil now, will not go hence
Unroused by winds, that ply a busier trade
Than those which mould yon cloud in lazy flakes,
Or the dull sobbing draft, that moans and rakes
Upon the strings of this Æolian lute,
Which better far were mute.
>>
>>7941740
Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
ché la diritta via era smarrita.

>>7941459
wasn't it 'call me Ishmael.'?

>>7942071
Goebbels?
>>
>>7948769
Rieu is more emphatic,
Anger -- Sing goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus etc. Look it up on the Amazon, Rieu's is a very good translation.
>>
Dr.Pavel, I'm CIA
>>
“Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything truly wrong, he was arrested.”
>>
>>7941459
Hola amigo, llámame Ismael
>>
>>7944144
Jonas (Jonah)
>>
>>7947518
Essentially a run on sentence with redundant information. You probably think it sets the mood. It doesn't.

>kill yourself
>>
Abandon all hope ye who enter here is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Miserables on its side blocking his view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn’t seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, “Be My Baby” on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
>>
Also, es fängt damit an, dass ich bei Fisch-Gosch in List auf Sylt stehe und ein Jever aus der Flasche trinke.

It is possible that I already had some presentiment of my future.
>>
>>7949010
This is what I was looking for
>>
"What if we fucked right now" - Ye
>>
>>7941459
>>7941688
obviously haven't read the book

*Man treads as water as white whale dashes ship to pieces* Hey I'm Ishmael and you're probably wondering how I got here. Lemme rewind to a couple months back
>>
>>7944095
"This strange dream again, deja vu..."
>>
>>7941454
nah
>>
File: 1460492112580.jpg (24 KB, 600x760) Image search: [Google]
1460492112580.jpg
24 KB, 600x760
>>7941727
DEVILISH
E
V
I
L
I
S
H
>>
It was a pleasure to burn.
>>
>>7941688
>and so Ishmael floated on inside the coffin, alone on the seas
>WOAH WOAH WOAH, CUT!! I bet you're wondering how I got here.
>Well, it's a long story, so let's take it from the start.
>It all began with a boat, and a little town called New Bedford ...
>That's me! before I knew anything about whaling
>>
File: 1437045627112.jpg (175 KB, 1328x1080) Image search: [Google]
1437045627112.jpg
175 KB, 1328x1080
>>7943933
>>
Wow no one has said the most iconic opening of all time....

Okay then,

Once upon a time.
>>
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
>>
Please...

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita."
>>
>>7950628
Ummm...pretty sure it goes like this:
I met her in a bar down in old SoHo
Where they drink champagne that taste just like Cherry COLA
Lo lo lo llo Lolita!
Lo lo lo lo Lolita!
Gonna feed her my peter!
&TC.
>>
>>7950243
>that's my buddy Queeqeg!
>he's a fun guy! Kind of weird...makes coffins...and a cannibal, but really chill when you get to know him
>>
>>7942367
That's a meme, unsubstantiated. A good story , and I would buy it, but: it doesn't look like a fucking brain.
>>
"For a long time I used to go to bed early."
>>
All this happened, more or less. The war parts, anyway, are pretty much true. One guy I know really WAS shot in Dresden for taking a teapot that wasn't his. Another guy I knew really DID threaten to have his personal enemies killed by hired gunmen after the war. And so on. I've changed all the names.
>>
been thinking of something like

>Blake was at work and he had a big ol' boner.
>>
>>7942244
literally the best opening line in the history of humankind
>>
>>7950981
I mean it pretty much is the best way to start a work, at the beginning. From a literature standpoint it's 10/10.
>>
riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
>>
>>7941572
>>7941644
>>7942248
>>7950628
>>7950638
You are all mistaken. It begins so:

C'est pas ma faute
Et quand je donne ma langue aux chats
Je vois les autres
Tout prets à se jeter sur moi
C'est pas ma faute à moi
>>
File: 1454889415245.jpg (20 KB, 384x215) Image search: [Google]
1454889415245.jpg
20 KB, 384x215
Of Man's First disobedience, and the Fruit of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal taste Brought Death into the world, and all our woe, With loss of Eden, till one greater Man Restore us, and regain the blissful Seat, Sing Heav'nly Muse, that on the secret top Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire That Shepherd, who first taught the chosen Seed, In the Beginning how the Heav'ns and Earth Rose out of Chaos: or if Sion Hill Delight thee more, and Siloa's Brook that flow'd Fast by the Oracle of God; I thence Invoke thy aid to myadvent'rous Song, That with no middle flight intends to soar Above th'Aonian Mount, while it pursues Things unattempted yet in Prose or Rhyme.

>>7941521
>Just a moment!
Mulish is absolutely based

>>7944317
>not posting the actual first quote
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.

>>7944205
Pic related
>>
>>7941454
I am a sick man. I am a spiteful man.
>>
>>7941454
I am a sick man. I am a wicked man.
>>
>>7941897
that book gives me the fucking chills
>>
>>7952662
That's 'cuz you's a bitch nigga.
>>
Hamlet: Who's there?
Infinite Jest: I am
>>
>>7952152

>It's not my fault
>And when I give my tongue to cats
>I see others
>All ready to pounce on me
>It's not my fault

way cute
Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.