[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you unironically like Pynchon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: thomas-pynchon.jpg (85 KB, 620x410) Image search: [Google]
thomas-pynchon.jpg
85 KB, 620x410
Do you unironically like Pynchon?
>>
>>7938260

No. He's too difficult.
>>
>>7938260
I liked V. and Lot 49 a lot.

Disliked Inherent Vice and GR. A lot.
>>
What's the low-down on Pynchon? I ignored him like the
>David
>Foster
>Wallace
threads, but I noticed a book by him in the local library the other day and I might check him out.
>>
>>7938277

he's writer
>>
Not really. I find myself more annoyed when reading him, aside from Mason and Dixon. I think he's good at what he does, I just don't like it very much.
>>
I read The Crying of Lot 49 and when I finished it it felt like I hadn't read anything at all.
>>
>>7938277
He's an incredible author imo. Read his books in order:

(1963) V.
(1966) The Crying of Lot 49
(1973) Gravity's Rainbow
(1990) Vineland
(1997) Mason & Dixon

Before you get into Gravity's Rainbow however, you should probably have read all of Joyce and some Faulkner and Woolf, to get accustomed to the stream of consciousness style. Also, be prepared to reread it, since you won't understand it (at all, pretty much) after reading it.

Mason & Dixon is his best work. Gravity's Rainbow is his hardest. I have only read sections of his three latest books, but they don't seem worth it (especially Against the Day -- 1085 pages? no thanks).
>>
>>7938260
he is my favourite american writer
>>
>>7938310
I like your opinion
>>
yo who's got the 'meme trilogy' image w/ superimposed text like 'he kills hisself' etc
>>
>>7938310
Against the Day is very readable compared to GR, you can get through it fairly quickly. Some parts of it (especially the first third or so) is Pynchon at the top of his game. Definitely worth reading for the Pynchon fan.
>>
>>7938310
What's Faulkner's magnum opus? I know Woolf's is The Wave. As I Lay Dying?
>>
>>7938260
Yes, he's the greatest and most original American writer currently alive and active. Even his later work is better than 95% of contemporary English language literature. Gravity's Rainbow is the best American novel published in the past fifty years. People will still be discussing him centuries from now; he will be considered a figure who defined an era for millions.
>>
>>7938424
His best works are The Sound and the Fury and Absalom, Absalom! from what I've read. I would recommend reading As I Lay Dying however, if you're trying to get a sense of what stream of consciousness feels like.
>>
>>7938310
diff guy. just started Gravitys Rainbow. It's my first pinching and he writes with an excitement that I'm finding super fucking refreshing.

Also there are some points where it's like "this guy had this shit down before sam hyde was fucking born"
It's better than an MDE comparison but i get a sense like sammy is a fan
>>
>>7938501
>Also there are some points where it's like "this guy had this shit down before sam hyde was fucking born"

I fail to see what Thomas Pynchon and Sam Hyde have in common...
>>
>>7938501
>started Gravity's Rainbow
>my first pinching
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>7938260
dunno, never read him. i read the shit passage in Gravity's Rainbow, was better than it deserved to be, read the first page or so of Against the Day, was good but didn't check it out cause i wouldn't have had enough time to finish it, read almost all of the first page of Mason & Dixon and got confused. oh yeah and I read a few pages of Inherent Vice and thought it blew
>>
File: Squinting Homer.png (256 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
Squinting Homer.png
256 KB, 389x500
>>7938501
>Also there are some points where it's like "this guy had this shit down before sam hyde was fucking born"
>>
>>7938260
dfw pretended to be average, but he was just a pretentious lil bitch

pynchon is average all around, and he is the author for the masses. he is the truest artist
>>
>>7938539
They have nothing in common, the guy you are replying to is probably a retarded /pol/tard
>>
>>7938574
>pynchon is average all around

he's actually a genius though m8, and it reflects in his writing
>>
Why/how would you ironically like an author?
>>
>>7938647
Pretend to enjoy them for the laughs.
>>
>>7938297
he writer*
>>
>>7938758
I don't get the joke
>>
>>7938277

People like him because he's smart, not because he can write.
>>
I don't do things ironically. So, yes.
>>
>>7938987
so you're telling me all those "shitposts" were serious? p_p
>>
Is Thomas Pynchon the Death Grips of literature?
>>
Post-ironically, my friend :-)
>>
>>7938434
>centuries
nah, you're wrong, even though you're memeing. people used to think the same about Lowell and Mann, but they're already becoming curiosities
>>
>>7938574
i see you watched eott. i did, as well
>>
>>7938424
No woolf's is to the lighthouse. It's a perfect novel
>>
shitty juvenile 'dude weed lmao' genre fiction writer
probably the worst author i've read
>>
>>7938435
>>7938424
I'd said that As I lay dying... is better than The Sound and the Fury or Absalom, Absalom ! But the three are truly great.

>>7939624
To the lighthouse is one of the comfiest read I'd ever had, but The Waves is more virtuoso.
>>
>>7939535
Thomas Mann is still big in Europe.

>>7938424
>>7939687 (here)
If you want to get into Faulkner howerver, I'd recommend you to read some of his short stories first (such as A rose for emily).
>>
>>7938310
>>Before you get into Gravity's Rainbow however, you should probably have read all of Joyce and some Faulkner and Woolf, to get accustomed to the stream of consciousness style
I disagree. I think you can enjoy and understand Gravity's Rainbow without having to read a bunch of other steam of consciousness type books. I read Gravity's Rainbow before anything by Joyce
>>
Can someone post the archive from the time Pynchon supposedly posted on /lit/? I just finished reading Lot 49 and I've been looking for it.
>>
>>7939630
You are still a meme
>>
I adore him. Greatest author of all time.
>>
of all his books no one talks about (or at least a few) how would you rank em?

meaning
Vineland
Mason & Dixon
Against the Day
Bleeding Edge
>>
>>7938260
>unironically
What does this mean
>>
>>7941042
if we explicitly tell you (or anyone here explicitly tells anyone here), it'll stop meaning what it means
>>
File: 1459562137115.jpg (18 KB, 576x368) Image search: [Google]
1459562137115.jpg
18 KB, 576x368
>>7941059
Oh shit, we're in muddy waters now
>>
>>7938501
>I am a Citizen of the World. I went to film camp. I've read Sartre. I've read Thomas Pynchon. I've read Ayn Rand...
>>
>>7941069
post-ironic waters
>>
No, I'm no pleb and I don't like meme tier novels.

The greatest amerifats alive are Roth and Wolfe, I hope you know it.
>>
>>7938260
Who ironically likes Pynchon? Feigning enjoyment of Pynchon to look smart is not the same as liking him ironically.
>>
>>7942214
Pynchon is actually considered "smart" literature?
>>
>>7938260
i enjoyed CoL49 and enjoyed V even more. I really liked Bleeding Edge, probably bc it was more relatable to current times than V, though V is more literary.
im currently taking a break from the Pinecone(reading 2666 rn, will probably read the new Vargas Llosa), and then tackle Mason and Dixon
>>
nothing I do is without irony
>>
>>7942611
>americans
>>
>>7938260
I can't even ironically like him.
>>
>>7942777
what did he mean by this
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.