[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would /lit/ be interested in a "Learning ancient Greek"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6
File: Image23.jpg (44 KB, 360x516) Image search: [Google]
Image23.jpg
44 KB, 360x516
Would /lit/ be interested in a "Learning ancient Greek" reading group?
>>
Yes, most certainly yes. But someone inevitably will have to take the lead and, looking at the topic, I think it will also have to be a faggot which is why I propose YOU name a book (say, "Anabasis") and then set a shedule and link a place for those who are interested to discuss it. If you don't keep steady contact with the people reading it your group will soon fall apart. Make sure you're interested and free enough yourself.
>>
>>7937411
>strict schedule for learning and also reading ancient Greek

I don't think that will work m8.

But yes OP I would be interested.
>>
ye, i'm interested.
>>
>>7937391
If this woman was sat at a terrasse café I wouldn't have looked twice at her but seeing her at a chessboard makes my mind go wild and my penis inch up softly. I don't even play chess myself. What's it called when you like girls that are smart?
On reflection they don't even to be real intellectuals, they just have to be interested to the level of autism in something (=a passion).

>INB4 grumpy cunts pasting some schopenhauer to ruin my hard on
>>
I will if we're using Hansen & Quinn, and I can afford to start in a month or two and catch up with the rest of the group.

I took a year of it and did well on exams but forgot everything afterward. I could probably help with mild speedbumps, from experience. I also know people who are much better at it than I am, 3rd-4th year students of it, so I could bring in their advice.

I agree with >>7937411 that some kind measures would have to be in place to make sure we all actually keep up and stay in touch. I browse /lit/ daily like a fucking loser, so I wouldn't mind keeping a persistent thread, bumping it, etc. But if it dwindles to only two or three guys, we might be in trouble. I'm too socially anxious for a Skype group or anything.
>>
Bump because interested
>>
Yes I'm very interested.
Kind of feel like we're getting metameme'd though
>>
File: QbR32El.jpg (285 KB, 1487x2048) Image search: [Google]
QbR32El.jpg
285 KB, 1487x2048
>>7937500
>pattern recognition and spatial awareness = smart
Yeah, no. But I agree that obsessive interest is attractive. Does it work the opposite way though ( ie are girls attracted to this?)
>>
so it's definitely going to happen?
>>
>>7938836
This is what IQ tests test. I don't quite understand what you mean by "smart" if not this....
>>
>>7937391

I expressed my uncontainable excitement at the prospect the other day here on the other thread >>7921938. There are a number of anons here interested, and at the least there will be some learning and exposure.
>>
Yes please
I have three documents on Koine Greek if anyone wants them
>>
b
>>
>>7940158
Yes please, I'm especially interested in Koine.
>>
>>7937391
Yeah mang, I'm reading Greek: An intensive course at the moment and it would be nice to have other people to discuss it with.
>>
I have over 10 gigs of pdfs for books on Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Greek, French, German, Arabic and some others if you want to start something like a language learning club
>>
>>7938836
>>pattern recognition and spatial awareness = smart
Yes, yes it does.
>>
I'm interested, OP.
>>
>>7940439
https://mega.nz/#fm/rB4SCIKR
Greek books
!YmJVPLT6AD6oJyZHnC9QSg
>>
>>7940477
I'm apparently not knowledgeable enough about Mega to make this link work. Sorry for my ignorance, but could I get some guidance?
>>
>>7937500
>What's it called when you like girls that are smart?
being a fool
>>
>>7940510
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t83vp9a3ulhximt/AADeZ1m3WvVyyj1n89aCkZAga?dl=0
>>
>>7940555
Thank you for that
>>
>>7937391
So glad this was bumbed. I'm the Latin teacher anon from the previous thread. Would love to join this. I could lead something like a reading group if there is a desire for it and people took it seriously. Would google hangout be the best way to do this? Or Skype?
>>
>>7940885
I'm interested in Latin, mate. Is there any learning club up on /lit/ at the moment?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>7937527
Similar situation for me
>>
>>7937527
>I will if we're using Hansen & Quinn, and I can afford to start in a month or two and catch up with the rest of the group.

>>7940460
>Yeah mang, I'm reading Greek: An intensive course at the moment and it would be nice to have other people to discuss it with.

I unno, I found Hansen and Quinn's "Greek: An Intensive Course" extremely hard when I tried it... I couldn't make it past the 4th unit; that was too many verbal forms to become comfortable with in one go. We could consider giving Athenaze a chance...
>>
>>7937391

aye

I'll bring the memes.
>>
>>7941175
Athenaze won't get you reading Greek very quickly. Graduate students who are looking to learn Greek quickly use Mastronarde but that's kind of like hard mode because you have to move quickly and be very driven to use it. Hansen and Quinn is good as well but I'm unfamiliar with it. I have a background with Luschnig, Athenaze, and Mastronarde.
>>
>>7941139
No Latin group up now unfortunately. If this Greek group goes well, I wouldn't have a problem running a Latin group at some point in the future! However, I have a lot going on at the moment so that might have to wait for a little bit.
>>
>>7941175
>>7941663
I just read a review on JSTOR by John Gibert of Mastronarde and I'm not to anxious to use it now. I've heard nothing but horrible things about Athenaze. I actually own JACT 2ed Greek, but I've never done anything with it and I'm not sure it if can be pirated.

I will say at the least that JACT 2ed starts you off a lot easier, with a lot more constructed readings and a lot less of "20 straight chapters of paradigm memorisation and obtuse grammar concepts," and may be more up to the speed of a /lit/ self-study group. H&Q or Mastronarde are going to require hardcore dedication. Most people underestimate the level of dedication necessary to break through Greek's initial learning curve. Especially if they have no prior Latin, jesus.

Just to give everyone an indicator: My Latin class was split into Latin 101 and Latin 102, each being one term (3 months). By the midterm of Latin 101, a few had dropped, and maybe half came back for Latin 102. By the midterm of Greek 101, well over half had dropped, and by the end of Greek 102 maybe four people remained. Keep in mind most of the Greek people had prior Latin and were graduate students, and most of the Latin people were first year undergrads. It's hard.
>>
I'm happy to do this too. Although I'm pretty advanced at Greek, currently third year at Oxford after studying it for years at school. Then again, there's always more to learn.

How will we choose the text?
>>
>>7938836
tfw no autistic theremin playing qt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l9YcewEumw
>>
>>7941782
Gilbert's piece is a fair critique of the textbook. I learned Ancient Greek before I picked up Mastronarde. I use it to test myself on finer points of grammar and such. It's a good book for someone who has an idea of what they're doing but probably not the best for beginners.
>>
>>7941663
not sure how the last latin group was run since it was many moons ago but i can provide scanned pages directly from wheelock's text (though i'm sure accessible online versions exist).
>>
yes, have my brother's greek textbook, will have to see which it is
>>
Is it even possible to write in Ancient Greek on /lit/?

*test*

Ὦ Ζεῦ, χαλεπός ἐστιν ὁ βίος.
O Zeus, life is (so) difficult.
>>
>>7942377
Looks like it is possible, yes.
>>
>>7937527
>>7941175

I tried Hansen & Quinn a little while back but was distracted by coursework...my classics profs have all said it's legit, though some of them quibble with linguistic things here and there. They laughed when I mentioned Anthenaze.
>>
>>7940885
I'm self-studying Latin now, and would love to get in on it. I've never used google hangout before
>>
Bump. Really want this to be a thing.
>>
>>7943113
I guess I don't mind using Hansen and Quinn... Just, if you've never studied Greek before, get ready for learning the basic endings of 4 tenses in unit 2, and of 7 more tenses in unit 3...

And I'd definitely want this to be a thing like >>7943170 says. I've never used Google handouts but I wouldn't mind using something new either. Who's gonna set it up? We kind of need a leader for this.
>>
If someone makes the group and sets up some meeting times they don't need to be leader forever.

I don't know how to use google hangout and I'm at work so I can't do for the next few hours at least.
>>
Do you guys think it would be remotely viable to just have a "looser" discussion group where, instead of trying to force everybody to keep up week-to-week, people just go at their own pace and help each other along?

Falling behind instantly vaporizes your dick when you're learning this shit. You lose all motivation with one mistake.
>>
>>7943643
That's what was always going to happen anyways.
I just wish someone would start it already.
OP is a huge faggot for not already being prepared to set it up and why I suspect he was just memeing us.
>>
>>7937391
recommended grammar book?
>>
>>7943643
I'm currently studying for a Bachelor's in Ancient Greek and I'm a loser as well, I can barely keep up with class.

Annoys me, and I think I'm gonna quit soon.
>>
>>7943650
I'm sure /lit/ already tried learning greek once. I don't think the group got far lol.
>>
>>7943643
We could always just make an ongoing thread here; then we don't have to worry about having separate Latin and greek groups
>>
>>7943868
Just keep going, try composing your own sentences; it makes the grammar easier to remember. A big chunk of these grammar-heavy languages is sticking with it long enough for your brain to get used to it.
>>
>>7943927
There's a Latin group?
>>
>>7943643
I don't dislike this idea.
>>
>>7943868
Keep at it, dude. It really isn't as bad as it looks.

Greek itself is honestly not that hard. It's just the morphology and grammar. Once you get the basics down, the actual language is a lot simpler. Just start doing an hour or two a day, and ask your teachers for lots of help.

You'd be surprised what sinks in. It often feels like you are doing pure "conscious" memorization, so every time you fail to remember something you honestly ask yourself "am I even capable of memorizing this?" But for every time that happens, there are six dozen things you don't even realize you have burned into your brain permanently. The longer you feeling like an idiot, the longer everything else cements.
>>
Shall we decide on the best text(s)/resources?

Maybe make a discord group?
>>
>>7937391
>>7937411
>>7937426
>>7937527
>>7938144
>>7940158
>>7940129
>>7940439
>>7940460
if you faggots start this group does that me you will stop posting as much?

Goodie!
>>
>>7944194
rude
>>
>>7944194

Are you conflating this discussion with the 'start with the Greeks' meme? Because you're unduly flustered.
>>
File: 1445983177794.png (292 KB, 528x535) Image search: [Google]
1445983177794.png
292 KB, 528x535
Don't die on me now...
>>
BUUUUUUUMP
>>
>>7945614
>>7946709
I think we've got to be clear about our objectives for this group. I agree with >>7943643, having a looser group might suit our purposes better. That way everyone can learn on their own pace while being encouraged to study by knowing that there are others doing as you are doing. I'm reading book one of the republic right now because I've been doing this for years now but I'll be more than willing to contribute to a Greek thread here. At least we know we have interest.
>>
>>7946742
BTW ἑταῖροι, this link has got some good resources.

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11778
>>
I'd be up for this. Is there an agreed upon textbook that we'd start with?
>>
I tried it when /lit/ tried to make it a thing a couple of years and I only managed to learn the alphabet
>>
>>7946742
Sounds good to me. At least we also know there's more experienced people to ask questions to like you and >>7943868 .

So... when are we starting guys? I'm >>7941175
who tried to do Hansen and Quinn a couple years ago, and I'm starting on Saturday once I'm done with this final exam week.
>>
Les livres de la Français, si vous plaît. J'aimerais apprendre la français.
>>
>>7946937
Seems like everybody here has mentioned Hardy Hansen and M. G. Quinn's Greek: An Intensive Course, except for >>7941782 who mentioned the JACT Reading Greek textbook.

Hansen and Quinn's textbook is easily obtainable for free through LibGen or its Bookzz mirror. I could also upload it on Mega if anybody asks.
>>
>>7940885
I'm interested.
>>
>>7937391
Yeah I would be down, but the board is already pretty slow, and the percentage interested in this just might not be high enough to maintain a conversation. Are you thinking of a daily or weekly thread or what?
>>
>>7947028
I'm not OP, but I was thinking it could be an at-least-twice-a-week-ly thread.

There's thirty-seven unique posters so far in this thread, all of them interested except for those two who asked if there was a Latin group. If we could get at least 5 to actively study and discuss Greek stuff that would be nice enough IMO.
>>
>>7947118
We would need some kind of structure, or else anons would just go veering right and left in what they studied, which is fine and even sort of good but would make some difficulties in the discussions.

I assume there are some courses that people do online, we could find one of those, or pick a group of authors and work towards reading them, or perhaps work towards understanding of certain texts or grammatical points.
>>
>>7947129
We should make a sticky to use as the first post of every thread with recommended materials and possibly an order of study to keep things consistent
>>
>>7947164
http://cdn.textkit.net/hws_Greek_Grammar_AR5.pdf

I found this which looks to be a pretty comprehensive grammar. It's too dry to be the main material but it could be useful as a supplement.

I'm looking about for something more learning-oriented
>>
>>7947194
Just download Hansen and Quinn's Greek: An Intensive Course.

It's /md5/49BFE3E1991F6123BA9915E07684F98B on Bookzz dot org.
>>
>>7947194
>>7947164
http://greekgrammar.wikidot.com/introductory-courses

This site seems to have a whole host of links to other sites of this nature, if you guys feel like sifting through some of them
>>
>>7947227
Am downloading now, did you study this one?
>>
>>7947238
I'm the guy who tried it once (as self-study) and didn't make it past unit 4. I'm hoping I'll have more perseverance this time.

Just take it slow, one of the (few) downsides of this textbook is that the units are long (there's only 20 of them; the content could've been cut up into 45 or so).
>>
>>7947252
It looks great, I'm just reading the first segment on the description of the language itself. Thanks for the rec

I was thinking we should find something like childrens' stories as well, if that even exists in Ancient Greek? For other languages that has been very useful because of the simplicity of language, familiarity of content, and easily accessible logic of the phrases.
>>
>>7947129

If we want to work towards a specific author/book, I think the starting place is usually Xenophon or the Septuagint
>>
>>7947261
It seems like histories tend to be easiest.

Do any of the people here who already know some Greek know a Greek equivalent of Caesar's De Bello Gallico for Latin?

This site has vocabulary attached to the main text of a bunch of works:

https://geoffreysteadman.com/platos-crito/
>>
>>7947313
Nigga I just fucking posted right above you.
School children in Latin start with De Bello Gallico, in Greek they start with Xenophon's Anabasis
>>
>>7938836
She's a 9/10 without the chessboard so that's not really a good example
>>
>>7947316
>>7947278
Thank you anon, I'm compiling all the suggestions for a potential course for us.
>>
>>7947316
You posted while I was typing haha thanks
>>
Alright guys I have to sleep but we've found some good texts to let us learn the forms, let's regroup tomorrow with what we can come up with, I'll make a thread if I don't find one or this. Cheers anons.
>>
Hansen and Quinn looks good. Might buy a physical copy if this gets real.
>>
For those interested in the particulars of Koine Greek, one significant introductory grammar (albeit an older one) is by Machen and is posted by this anon >>7940555. Another, more recent one (and one often used in classroom settings today) is Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar by William Mounce, available on bookzz.
>>
>>7947313
Looks like this guy has books 1 and 4 of Xenophon's anabasis as well; we can use this for an actual text

https://geoffreysteadman.com/xenophon-anabasis-i/
>>
>>7948251
I've been told it's a bad idea to learn Koine before Attic, if you do intend to learn Attic.

Even if you only intend to read Christian stuff, a lot of the Church fathers wrote in neo-Atticised Greek.
>>
Bump, OP lets get this going
>>
>>7947261
Aesop wrote in Greek. The fables are fairly easy
>>
>>7943131

Not that you'll see this, but there's a textbook called "Latin via Ovid" that is literally the best possible textbook on Latin, and yet very few people (in my research/internet browsing) have even heard of it. It is almost 100% text in Latin and you get 'frog-boiled' up to being able to read Ovid over the course of 40 lessons. Literally no other textbook comes even lose to being this good - I just want to personally recommend it to you all since I suspect that many of you are working your way through the unbearable Cambridge Latin series, or worse, Wheelock's Latin (which is a good one for grammar but very bad for reading fluency).
>>
>>7946973
On dit le français
>>
Would I be able to understand any modern Greek by learning attic?
>>
discord

https://discord.gg/0xqkY4KfNWpMz2XZ
>>
File: 1455290882175.png (71 KB, 748x1052) Image search: [Google]
1455290882175.png
71 KB, 748x1052
bumping

Don't fail me now, /lit/.
>>
>>7949578
Probably random words by etymology, but they are very very different languages grammatically, and even the etymologies would probably be off more often than not because of drift
>>
>>7949729
>>7949729
>>7949729
>>7949729
Join the discord group!
>>
File: 1441433550364.png (82 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
1441433550364.png
82 KB, 624x434
Nightly bump.

Aristophanes was a Frog-poster
>>
Looks like people want to use the H&Q.

Do we have a schedule?
>>
so it's started then
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.