[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Berserk in /lit/erature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
Are there any books or series of books which display the raw brutality of a medieval era as well as Berserk? Do you know of any books like Berserk? Points for Medieval Era or Supernatural themes.

I ask because I love the idea of a very dark world where the protagonist gets by through sheer will.
>>
File: 1460817690872.jpg (72 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1460817690872.jpg
72 KB, 512x512
>Berserk
>display the raw brutality of a medieval era
>>
18+ site
>>
>>7935246
Game of thrones t b h
>>
>>7935246
dude violence lmao

ebin
>>
Everyone /acts/ too good for that sort of thing here, but Scot Bakkers stuff might be up your alley
>>
File: 1398042566137.png (41 KB, 235x236) Image search: [Google]
1398042566137.png
41 KB, 235x236
>>7935278
>that projection
>/ /
>recommending scot bakker
>current year
>>
>>7935278
Thanks, I'll look into it.
>>7935257
le epic maymay, man.
>>7935289
Recommend something then instead of memeing people who do make recommendations.
>>
Beowulf
>>
>>7935246
>medieval
>>
>>7935323
What are you implying? The entire manga relates to medieval themes.
>>
>>7935328
>medieval themes
>>
>>7935246
Are you fucking retarded? Berserk is completely fantastical and displaying the raw brutality of a fantastical place that's not medieval Europe and has big spooky monster demons in it.
>>
>>7935356
>>7935323
You're a dipshit if you can't tell it's *heavily* inspired by later medieval Europe.
>>
>>7935365
Berserk doesn't display the fucking "raw vritality" of any historical place, medieval Europe or not. You must be a big old mongoloid if you think there is any historical truth to the brutalities in Berserk. But you know what, just read Games of Thrones I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>7935356
>>7935345
>>7935323
Its ridiculous that you believe that medieval strictly means real, medieval era. Medieval also means relating to the antiquated time period of the Medieval era. It does not literally mean the Medieval era. Berserk is inspired by Medieval Europe. How stupid are you?
>>7935377
raw brutality* Also it does not have to be literally historic. It displays the raw nature of the savagery people experienced in the past. A time when armies were men with swords laying waste to other men with swords. It doesn't shy away from themes of violent rape or torture, which by the way was a thing in Medieval Europe. You should really crawl out of your own ass and broaden your view. Medieval does not mean literally the medieval period.
>>
>>7935379
>It doesn't shy away from themes of violent rape or torture
It's a still thing now, and always has been; you sound like a typical sheltered non-reader.
>>
>>7935381
Not him, but why are you trying to hard to argue rather than discuss? You seem to be attacking anything that people post. Are you an insecure person?

This board would be so much better if you could debate with good etiquette, rather than devolve into petty name calling.
>>
>>7935386
>You seem to be attacking anything that people post.
This was my first post in the thread, try harder.
>This board would be so much better
This board would much better if people actually read and looked at the sticky before asking stupid questions.
>>
>>7935390
There's no "Books like Berserk" section in the sticky

Granted he could've just asked in the SFF thread, but we're already here
>>
>>7935381
Why don't you just offer real recommendations like this thread is about instead of constantly attacking every post? It is still a thing now and I didn't say it wasn't. I'm not a typical sheltered non-reader. I'm just interested in getting other peoples recommendations of a type of book I myself am having a hard time finding. I try to appeal to peoples literary sense once on this LITERATURE forum and suddenly I'm the bad guy.
>>7935390
There is nothing in the sticky about my post topic. I just made the thread seeing if there was any good fantasy/historical medieval books that other Anons have found to be enjoyable.
>>
>>7935390
>try harder
At what? Why do you treat this as some sort of contest?

>look in the sticky before asking questions
There's little in the sticky that would have helped him, even so, why didn't you tell him to check the sticky instead of insulting him?
>>
>>7935379
So you want raping and plundering armies then and maybe some torture on top? Sorry but this ain't the raw brutality of the medieval era, maybe ask something that's actually specific to medieval Europe next time and not a prevalent theme throughout all of history. Recommenation still stands, game of thrones. It has all that and some mythological creatures on top.
>>
>>7935396
The term is dark fantasy. Enjoy.
>>
>>7935393
>SFF thread
Another thing ruining /lit/, genre-shit.
>>7935396
>instead of constantly attacking every post?
That was my first post in the thread.
>I try to appeal to peoples literary sense
Genre-fiction isn't literature.
>good fantasy
Contradictory.
>>7935400
>At what?
At trying to defend this shit thread.
>>
>>7935419
>still attacking posts
>doesn't realize the two-three people like him are the reason the thread is shit
Good job. You're the thing ruining /lit/.
>>
>>7935428
I'm only ruining this thread, and by doing so making /lit/ better.
>>>/v/
>>
>>7935428
He's literally lost any will for sensible discourse and has aligned fully with his shitposting nature for the time being.

Nothing can be done.
>>
>>7935379
>It doesn't shy away from themes of violent rape or torture, which by the way was a thing in Medieval Europe.
>>
>>7935434
looks about right
>>
>>7935386
This board would be so much better without white-knighting little shits such as yourself, defending other ignorant, edgy morons with the understanding of a 12 year old, who shit up the place with their schooling of other anons, instead of learning from those who rightfully, yet benevolently mock them, thus doing them a huge favour when they should have just ignored this shitthread.
>>
>>7935432
Yeah, I've accepted that. At least I got some recommendations and an idea.
>>
>>7935439
>I'm whats right because I argue for circle jerking around DFW, Pynchon, Nietzsche, Stirner, Joyce, and all the other meme authors
>hey guys learn from me ignore the shithead asking for book recommendations and instead shit post like me!
>tips fedora
>>
>>7935447
>meme authors
Cancer
>>
>>7935439
Fuck off you pretentious little shit. I was trying to argue for better standards of discussion.

>benevolently mock them

Oh get out of your own arse you cringey dilettante; go fuck off to the "reading challenge" thread. I'm sure everyone's impressed with your patrician tastes of Dostoevsky and Joyce.

>when they should have just ignored this shit thread

Leading by example eh?
>>
>female character says "uguu" and 10 year old witch girl has a crush on demon-armored amputee with a greatsword
>literature
>>
>>7935472
>some prissy idiot spergs out over a little girl
>literature
>>
>>7935246
Berserk doesn't display the raw brutality of the medieval era at all. The protagonist gets by because he has super powers.

Books that display the middle ages well: Song of Roland, The Divine Comedy, Canterbury Tales, The Decameron, Aquinas on Law, Morality and Politics.
What you actually want is dark fantasy and here you probably will like A Game of Thrones, First Law and Black Company.
>>
>>7935246
If you want more Berserk-like stuff drop the pretense and read Go Nagai. Devilman is a straight-up masterpiece and Violence Jack is a cool follow-up piece.
>>
Orlando Furioso is pretty good. not much gory stuff tho.
>>
So, babby's first dark fantasy?
Read First Law, Black Company, Malazan etc.
>>
>>7935749
I'm kinda interested in Black Company, but every time it's mentioned it's in bad company making me weary of picking it up.
>>
>>7935434
what version of watership down is this?
>>
>>7935379
You could check out "The Legend of Sir Edginald of the Sad Back Story".

Or you could actually read a book about medieval Europe and realize that the dark ages aren't called dark because of how grimdark they were.
>>
>>7935246
Likewise, I'm wondering what the literary equivalent of Akame Ga Kill would be, if a novel could even come close to matching the depth of character and absorbing pathos of AGK.
>>
>>7935246
Well, The Abbys (Opus Nigrum) by Yourcenar has a pretty dark setting but is during XVI century.
>>
>>7935419
Too bad, genre fiction readers are joining /lit/ en masse, sucks to be you.
>>
>>7936991
>I admit to being a pleb
>>
File: 287542.jpg (51 KB, 281x450) Image search: [Google]
287542.jpg
51 KB, 281x450
C. V. Wedgwood's The 30 Years War
>>
Look, I love Berserk too but this is fucking stupid.
>>
>>7935246
Castle of Otranto is a great fit for what you're looking for. Also, The Monk by Matt Lewis. And of course, Faust by Goethe.

Don Quixote is also a great read, though maybe a little unrelated.
>>
Byron (e.g. Manfred) and Shakespeare
>>
The Long Ships.
>>
>>7935476
>>some prissy idiot spergs out over a little girl
You read Lolita too, huh?
>>
>>7935246
Berserk is much more than the Medieval part. The Idea of Evil is pretty fucking deep.
>>
>>7941696
It's essentially Nietzsche's will to power. The Japanese word used often in Berserk for "evil" actually translates loosely to "evil power," and well, there are a thousand other connections to the Idea of Evil and the concept.
>>
mediaevale tempus omnibus consideratis pacale fuit.
>>
File: sHkZZ5K.png (3 MB, 1600x1162) Image search: [Google]
sHkZZ5K.png
3 MB, 1600x1162
>>7935246
You should start with The Witcher/Geralt of Rivia saga:
>The Last Wish
>Sword of Destiny
>Blood of Elves
>Time of Contempt
>Baptism of Fire
>The Swallow's Tower
>Lady of the Lake
>Season of Storms
>>
>>7935246
fuck off /a/
this is shounen shit
go read something with mature themes you fucktard, your mom is dumber than you and your dad bangs exhaust pipes, get your finger out your ass

/die/
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.