[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does China have good literature? written after the cultural revolution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11
File: chinese vexes african.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
chinese vexes african.webm
2 MB, 640x360
Does China have good literature? written after the cultural revolution
>>
Here's the inside of a Chinaman's brain after the Cultural Revolution

>CHINA BEST
>CHINA BEST
>CHINA SO GOOD
>DIRTY WEST NOT GOOD
>ME WANT MINDLESS CONSUMERISM
>ME RUV MONEY
>CHINA BEST
>CHINA GREAT
>CHINA DEFEAT WEST
>WEST EVIL
>MONEY GOOD
>I RUV AMERICAN HORRYWOOD MOVIE
>BAM BAM JOHN MCLANE I RUV MONEY
>"CULTURE??"
>CHINA BEST!
>CHINA BEST!
>CHINA INVENT EEEEVERY TING
>CHINA INVENT INVENTING!
>CHINA BEST!
>WEST NO GOOD! CHINA BEST!
>>
>>7927608

at least half of those are true
>>
chiense literature is all shit, before or after cultural revolution

read wuxia
>>
Yes, a little. A lot of it was altered by the influence of the state or is banned totally. But >>7927608 is a severe exaggeration. A lot of Chinese literature today includes criticism of the state, though usually the Gang of Four become scapegoats and pre (i.e. Maoist)/post-gang of four politicians get a white card. But also, a lot of the contemporary Chinese literature I've read, especially journalistic literature, addresses the difficulties faced by intellectuals under the current regimes.

This webm, by the way, is a clip from "Empire of Dust", an excellent documentary about the problems involved in cultural clash between industrious Chinese and Congolese natives whose country they've essentially been contracted to rebuild. It's on youtube in full.
>>
most of the literature is about cultural revolution is so on

there is plenty but it is always around this topic
>>
>>7927628
>industrious Chinese
>>
>>7927630
>most of the literature is about cultural revolution is so on

nope wrong

cultural revolution is emphasized much more by the west asa part of their CHINA EVIL campaign; thus, all the translated lit is about communism is evil/cultural revolution/etc.

in china cultural revolution related lit is a footnote at best. no one really gives a shit.
>>
>>7927631
Yeah, well, they are. Watch the film. Or, just look the fuck around you.
Chinese industrialists' children make up 45% of my school's enrolment. The kids might be jobless moochers with hollow heads but their parents don't suffer from the same condition
>>
chinese people are unable to feel emotions
>>
>>7927643
>chinese
>people

you ever watch them just not give a fuck when a baby is fucking dying
>>
>>7927636
>nobody really gives a shit
Well, the state blocks any motion to give a shit
Same thing though
And to >>7927626 I'll reiterate that the gang of four is a major subject
>>
>>7927597
>Implying China ever had anything but meme literature.

Their most famous writer, Confucius, wrote nothing but superficial shit that could be summed up as: People with higher status should have more power. It's actually laughable.
>>
>>7927647

i agree. disgusting subhumans who shit on the street and think the world is theirs to use
>>
File: chinese liberation girl.jpg (256 KB, 600x794) Image search: [Google]
chinese liberation girl.jpg
256 KB, 600x794
moshi moshi, china desu!!~~
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 308x308
>>7927662
bong yuer bong yuer
nga, plis ahsur la terefun
>>
>>7927661
thats india senpai

>DESIGNATED
>>
>>7927597
Chinese, much like jews, turks, albanians, germans, dravidians and meso-american are inherently worthless, immoral and ugly people.
>>
>>7927608
>it's an americans feel threatened by china thread
>>
>>7927703
CHINA BEST? CHINA BEST
>>
>>7927597
holy shit someone needs to rein in ching
>>
Ah Cheng
Wang Shuo
Wang Xiaobo
Wang Anyi
Yan Lianke
Jia Pingwa
Liu Cixin
Bai Xianyong

(Looking at replies to this thread) why do you plebs come to /lit/?
>>
>>7928811
thanks, agree with your pleb statement
>>
>>7927597
chinese are literally the cuckold nation, its that faggot confucius that done it
>>
>>7928839
Fuck, is there a /lit/ .txt Twitter account like there are for all the other shitty forums? That post is golden and I need to preserve it one way or another.
>>
I fucking hate Chinese. Fucking chinks. They smell, they're ugly as shit and they're all socially retarded, i.e. they're rude, uncompromising, and lack empathy. They've ruined the environment of their entire nation and polluted the entire world with their toxic heavy metals and chemicals. They breed like jackrabbits and their one goal is to spread, in their mind, the vastly superior Chinese race across the globe with their mindless consumerism and heartless capitalism. The west should do one thing right for once and deport all the rich chink fucks back to China and confiscate all of their capital in the name of the Nation. Fuck them.
>>
I seriously never realized how scared Americans are of China before seeing these Chinese literature threads.
>>
>>7928811
>(Looking at replies to this thread)
Why do you think tumblrers come to /lit/?
>>
>>7928995
It's really quite baffling. I work with Chinese people every day - my company has me working with a state-owned enterprise in Guangdong - and at most they're politely dismissive of Americans. It's really kind of a one-way street of blind xenophobic hysteria.
>>
>>7928995
Americans aren't scared of China because they realize a Communist dictatorship where there's not enough pussy (because of another genius Chinese policy) and all the economic figures are made-up doesn't make for a stable country.
>>
>>7928811
Bless you
>>
ITT:
>Chinese people are unpleasant
>"You're so scared! You're scared of me! I'm a big strong Chinaman! Why are you so scared? China will rise again and you're all scared! This is China's time! This is China's century! Americans tremble before China! Look how scared these Americans are! They are afraid of us! We're comin'! We're comin' to get you, Americans! Chinese people are coming, and it's gonna be intense!!!!!!!!"

Calm down Ching pong
>>
>>7928811
Thank you for actually being helpful in a /lit/ thread.
>>
So, about that literature.
>>
>>7927648
Nah, the government doesn't ban mention of the cultural revolution. There was a fashion for cultrev lit in the 80s ('scar literature') although I think it was always quite an elite/academic thing, and anon's probably right that it was bigger in the west.
>>
File: 300_5581738.jpg (37 KB, 300x507) Image search: [Google]
300_5581738.jpg
37 KB, 300x507
Your fucking ignorance is fucking embarassing as shit. Read this awesome book and think of this post later after you've done so.
>>
>>7929068
>Kingston was born in Stockton, California, to first-generation Chinese immigrants
>>
>>7927702
>germans
what?
>>
>>7927608
I mean, this is just as bad as a stereotype of white America as
>MUH GUNS
>MUH MCDONALDS
>MUH CHRISTIANITY
>MUH TRUMP BUMPER STICKER
>OBAMA A MUSLIM COMMIE
>FUCK COMMIES NIGGERS FAGS MUSLIMS CHINKS
>MURICA NUMBER ONE
>MURICA BEST COUNTRY
>>
>>7929326
(cont.) My point being, they're both horrendous over-generalization based on a stunted worldview, and when you stop you'll look and sound like an idiot much less

t. not even a Chinese person
>>
>>7929334
Yea but every place in china is either a shitty tenement with too many people, a factory, or a mall filled with scammers/counterfeiters. They're like animals.
>>
>>7927597
What's that from?
>>
>>7929734
Seconding this. I'd love to see the full thing.
>>
>>7929734
>>7929755
See >>7927628
It's pretty good. It shows niggers as they really are. Thieves, useless drunks. They can't do anything right and this China man just wants to get the job done.
>>
>>7928811
>>7928828
>>7929024
>>7929038

>these retards dont realize he just gave them a list of the Chinese equivalent to john green/grrm/jk rowling/etc.

lmao this board.
>>
>>7930140
No I didn't. The only one of those writing genre fiction in a popular style is Liu Cixin's scifi.
>>
>>7930234
>being this committed to trolling

i admire your tenacity
>>
>>7930306
If you want to talk about literature I'd be happy to join you.
>>
>>7930313
why dont you start by posting stuf fthat isn't fifty shades of grey tier?
>>
>>7930315
Thanks for pointing out his ruse fampai.
>>
>>7930315
Can you read Chinese? What do you think of 金宇澄的《繁花》。Most significant+interesting work of the 21st century in opinion. Not available in English yet.

Am also a big fan of Zhang Dachun's writing, especially his historical fiction. Some of his earlier short stories are available in English under the name Chang Ta-Chuen or something.

I mean, by balance of probability your not just snob trolling, you are trolling without knowing or caring about any Chinese literature. But here's hoping.
>>
>>7927597
poor Mogombo, he didn't wreck things personally
>>
>>7929780
>>7927597
>muh productivity is the only thing that matters in life
>>
Am I on /int/? Whats up with all these sweeping generalizations
>>
chinese has no culture. communisism doesn't allow it
>>
>>7930332
张大春的作品我只读过城邦。还可以把。最大弱点就是太依赖文言游戏和技术炫耀了。他的书缺少了那种广阔视野和开放精神。他太希望表现自己,导致每一个句子都有一种自然感,并很多时候明显达不到随心所欲的境界。作为一个依赖自己的文笔技巧的作家,如果你还不能优雅的处理笔法,那麼只能说你的能力,抱歉,还不够。

Chinese lit sucks. As I said read wu xia instead. At least you'll learn something about how Chinese people think about stuff. Actual Chinese literary fiction is garbage.
>>
>>7929326
>>7929334

Not really retard. Your stereotype is outdated. Americans brain since second world war is:
>America dream is lie
>I still believe in America dream
>America do so much bad in world so sorry
>my cultural studies degree get no job
>America dream is lie
>bomb middle East more
>so sorry I bomb you why
>dream lie
>America can be great again so sorry
>cultural studies degree million dollar debt
>I like Netflix
>>
>>7930417
*导致有些句子缺少自感
>>
>>7930390
>Whenever I read 'culture'... I remove the safety from my shitposting!
/pol/
>>
File: boobs_plate.jpg (322 KB, 705x705) Image search: [Google]
boobs_plate.jpg
322 KB, 705x705
>>7929780
>It's pretty good. It shows niggers as they really are. Thieves, useless drunks. They can't do anything right and this China man just wants to get the job done.
I took the "cultural relativism" route, but that's also a fair analysis

>>7930381
>muh NEET-identity coming under fire
But anyway, in this movie, the Chinese do their job well and the Blaques do their job poorly. Would you really excuse letting infrastructure go to waste and failing to efficiently and competency perform tasks that demand efficiency and competency based on the fact that "productivity isn't the only thing that matters in life"?

>>7929734
>>7929755
here's the film
https://youtu.be/A0C4_88ub_M
>>
>africa will soon have the chinese tm

Im scared guys, the communists are taking land and we are sitting back doing nothing. We didn't sit back and do nothing for Nam and Korea
>>
>>7930436
Is China now like USA from the 50s?
Are we going to see a Chinese Summer of Love soon?
>>
>>7930443
Nothing wrong with that, China will become democratic as soon as its society breaks up. A small sexual revolution has already happened so prepare for some serious shit.
>>
>>7930417
城邦暴力團也是一種現代武俠,看來你的視野挺窄。你如果對歷史、古代「筆記小說」感興趣,張大春的那一類小說值得一看,什麼「春燈公子」「戰夏陽」、「一葉秋」,還有他的「大唐李白」系列。

你那麼輕易地把王朔、阿城這種經典作家否定掉,說明我們品味差得太遠了,不跟你辯論了。

至於武俠,我給你推薦《武道狂之詩》,很通俗,但也很痛快。
>>
>>7930445
Nah man. The ideological structure is totally different. I'm not that informed so I can't go in-depth about this, but for one example, 1950s Americans were really preoccupied with building a nuclear family and the goal of stable financial independence. It's not the same way in China because tight-knit families are more important than independent little clusters that replicate the parents over and over. The ideal family includes three or four generations living under the same roof. For that reason, familial roles aren't quite as important either.
>>
>>7930418
>Your stereotype is outdated
The fuck? First off, the person I was replying to was stereotyping China "after the Cultural Revolution"; my stereotyping of American culture doesn't have to be tied to the present day.
Even so, what the fuck? How is my stereotype outdated? It's a stereotype that's less joked about and represented, but that doesn't mean the people it stereotyped have gone away. You just went ahead and stereotyped different but coexisting elements of the culture. Doesn't make me wrong. Maybe it makes my stereotype less nuanced and a bit less accurate in encompassing all America, but did you ever consider maybe that was the point?
>>
>>7929027
There's probably like one, maybe two actual Chinese people in this thread, shitlord
>>
>>7929377
>me: stop making stupid over-generalizations
>anon: Yea

great

>anon: but every place in China

dude
>>
>>7930476
>The ideal family includes three or four generations living under the same roof. For that reason, familial roles aren't quite as important either.
question mark black lad.jpeg
>>
File: 513AvR31EEL._SY300_.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
513AvR31EEL._SY300_.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>7930840
Yeah. It's not necessarily what everyone does, but it's valued by the culture.
Lots of Chinese people/couples still live on their own though. Actually I've known a number of people who moved out of their parents' house when they got married and moved back in when they had children.
In the American nuclear family of the 1950s, the demarcation between what the wife does and what the husband does was important. In China, I would imagine it's much less so, since childrearing, at least in the situation I mentioned, is for the most part done by the grandparents. The same kind of idea applies to the children and the grandparents themselves, since a) everyone's traditional "jobs" within the family are not assigned based on position but more just shared tasks distributed based on convenience, and b) economic support is openly available, so financial pressures are lessened, which one could argue is a major force in creating the western family structure. That's very debatable though.

pic related: this is a layered ball made of jade which apparently is a symbol for the Chinese familial ideal. Each layer represents a different generation or so I'm told. I know it really sounds like bullshit but I've been told this more than once by Chinese folk who actually own these and who incidentally also live with their elderly parents and children in one house in China
>>
>>7927608
let's be real, this is any big stupid country
the worst thing about china is that they are basically becoming another america
it's hard enough having one
>>
>>7930958
Shit post
>>
File: 3ro5q.jpg (3 MB, 3393x3598) Image search: [Google]
3ro5q.jpg
3 MB, 3393x3598
>>
>>7933278
I personally loved Frog by Mo Yan.
>>
>>7933278
Libgen has a serious lack of contemporary (mainland) Chinese/Hong Kong literature. It's like trying to find a watchable copy of "Taipei Story", I swear.
>>
>>7930812
>my stereotyping of American culture doesn't have to be tied to the present day.

That why you included Obama and Trump?
>>
>>7927597
>>7929780
>that webm
Watching a Chinaman make fun of an African after China was fucked for an arguably longer period of time is fucking priceless. At least the blacks can say they have to deal with a legacy of colonial meddling. China was shit since the collapse of the Ming dynasty. That's almost four centuries of doing nothing.
>>
File: spinach oiler.jpg (2 MB, 1808x2764) Image search: [Google]
spinach oiler.jpg
2 MB, 1808x2764
>>7933285

you frogot the cover image
>>
>>7927678
underrated impression
>>
>>7928811
High level metatroll.
>>
>>7933995
>this bad at reading comprehension

I asked why it had to be tied to the present day, not that it wasn't, you fucking Mongoloid. Before you condescend to me, learn to read.
>>
>>7934577
said*, not asked
>>
Picture proof that /pol/ ruins LITERALLY EVERYTHING they touch.
>>
File: btfoo.png (1 MB, 846x975) Image search: [Google]
btfoo.png
1 MB, 846x975
>>7929755

>china wants to dig shiny rocks out of the ground in Congo
>Congo economy a shit
>china agrees to help rebuild Congo infrastructure in return for shiny rocks
>send in Wang and company to oversee the operation

basically it's 90 minutes of africa and china blowing each other out
>>
>>7934613

I forget

>absolutely nothing gets done because it's the fucking congo
>>
>>7934000
It's easily not to collapse when nothing has ever been built.
>>
>>7934000

This has to be bait, you can't defend thousands of years of nothingness to show for it with saying china had a rough patch for a few hundred years.
>>
File: truthbomb.jpg (114 KB, 1263x639) Image search: [Google]
truthbomb.jpg
114 KB, 1263x639
>>7934613
>>7929755

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>7934679
that the chinese have disdain for africans, or at least the workers
>>
>>7929068
>marketed as a memoir
>1/3 of the book is a dream retelling the story of Mulan
>Other third is from perspective of aunt who she never met
>final third from her mother's perspective
JUST
>>
Is chinese a good language to learn? I'm thinking about taking a conversational chinese class next semester.
>>
>>7934712

Depends if you are going to live in China or work in a highly chinese populated area (Vancouver)...??

Learning it as a hobby would be really hard unless you have friends to converse with daily
>>
>>7934613
>blowing each other out
Thank God. I'd hate for it all to be one way. OP vid is hella awkward.
>>
>>7935336
so is using "hella" in a sentence, kys nu male.
>>
>>7930436
>Black guy talking shit in congolese about his chinese boss
Fucking hell.
I would have went mad by now if I had to work there as a coordinator like china gravelman.
>>
>>7934705
Is still good writing.
>>
i'm trying to read mo yan but i don't get it

lots of graphic donkey sex and 4th wall breaking
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.