[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just ordered pic related. What am I in for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 250px-Screamcover.jpg (21 KB, 250x323) Image search: [Google]
250px-Screamcover.jpg
21 KB, 250x323
Just ordered pic related.
What am I in for?
>>
>>7927280

also why you dont just read it at your computer? its like 10 pages or something
>>
I can't say.
>>
>>7927284
Just trying to get back into reading.
Heard good things about it, so I thought Id start off with something a little short.
>>
HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.
>>
>>7927280
It will take you around 3 minutes to read.
>>
>>7927298
Kys
>>
why don't you wait for the book and then read it instead of making a worthless thread you retard
>>
>>7927312
I just wanted somebodie's opinion. That way I knew whether or not I should buy more of his books.
>>
>>7927329
this has to be bait.
>>
>>7927330
I just said Im trying to get back into reading, nigger. So what do you think?
>>
File: I Have No Mouth.jpg (436 KB, 1260x600) Image search: [Google]
I Have No Mouth.jpg
436 KB, 1260x600
>>7927333
You should wait for the movie.
>>
>>7927280
Some dark stories, some dumb stories. This is probably the start of him gittin gud.

Get Deathbird Stories next.
>>
>>7927280
Videogame is better.
>>
>>7927350
Wait for Ellison to die before making a movie version. Wouldn't want to give that insufferable asshole any more money than he already has.
>>
>>7927389
Of course.
Wouldn't want him meddling either, demanding to voice HAM yet again.
>>
>>7927280
A lesson on why you should always bring proper equipment for a task
>>
>>7927329
harlan ellison is really good at.. promoting harlan ellison. most of his published work is in the form of short story collections, each story with an introduction - where he talks about the famous people he knows - and a postscript, where he talks about the people who don't like his work, and how stupid they are.

i pirated a shitty scan of "the essential ellison" and it included grade-school lame jokes written when he was fifteen. with an introduction. and a postscript.

i get the feeling if i ever met him he'd talk about himself for an hour, then say "Well, enough about me. what do *you* think about me?"

the stories themselves aren't much. he tends to get an unusual image and write about it - very little in the way of character development or even story. closest thing he ever got to a "solve the problem" story was "God Bless You, Little Life Hutch".

the one you bought is pretty much typical of his work. lots of shouting and sweaty frenetic description, but when you look at it, about three pages of actual story.

look up his .. involvement in "The Last Dangerous Visions" if you want to understand why i don't particularly like him.
>>
>>7927333
read Asimov's short stories. read Iain M Banks' Culture novels. read E.E."Doc"Smith's ludicrous space opera, like the Lensman books. they're all better than Ellison.

if you want something good, Bruce Sterling's short story collections "Globalhead" and "A Good Old-Fashioned Future" are fucking kick-ASS.
>>
>>7927403
heh, he'd sound like Gilbert Gottfried. "HATE? Lemme tell ya about dat HATE, momsers!"
>>
File: QAcSkVU.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
QAcSkVU.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>7927963
>he'd sound like

Already did at least three times.
https://youtu.be/Q3Xi3Bd2_g0?t=45s
https://youtu.be/rSwfpVRVWlo?t=34s
https://youtu.be/_WVMtTAQxYE?t=7m19s

Not to say that he doesn't do an adequate job at it.
It's just that, I know he'd want to do it again if adapted, and I'd rather have a voice that suited the situation instead of the author's ego invading the film.
>>
>>7928173
God this is fucking terrible voice acting.
>>
>>7927329
if you want to make harlan froth at the mouth, don't buy his books - torrent them.
>>
>>7928173
>I'd rather have a voice that suited the situation instead of the author's ego invading the film.

harlan ellison's ego is fucking huge.

it's got its own event horizon.
>>
You guys ever watch the video interview with Asimov, Wolfe and Ellison?

Its pretty interesting, shame it cuts off just as they were getting deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvcKB9vQO0
>>
The guy in the book has to scream, he just has to. Trouble is, this fellow ain't got a mouth.
>>
>>7928539
Christ, Ellison can't go two seconds without bitching about something.
>>
>>7928567
you can scream without a mouth. it just sounds muffled. neo managed it in the first matrix film.
>>
It's an edgy little read, for sure, but the ending legitimately creeped me out.
>>
>>7928798
No, you are thinking of the orifice of the mouth. You can scream with a sealed orifice, but not with no mouth at all (= the oral cavity proper).
>>
>>7927312
Welcome along. You must be new here.
>>
>>7927280
nigga its like 16 pages
>>
File: blob human.png (1 MB, 1580x730) Image search: [Google]
blob human.png
1 MB, 1580x730
>>7928848
Pic related from the video game for reference.
>>
>>7927280
Not sure why you would've ordered it, it can be easily read for free online. Anyway, it's a decent read, has some clever wordplay at some points, gets you thinking about some stuff, but nothing too paradigm-shifting. Probably a 4.5/10 for me.
>>
this shit was originally published in a magazine m8 it's short as fuck
>>
>>7927280
Disappointment, it's barely a pamphlet
>>
>>7929148
It can also be a story collection.
You know how those work.
Have one really famous story and have that as the title of the collection.
>>
>>7927298
This guy gets it.

OP, it's very short but it has a genuine sense of misanthropy to it that you'll probably need a light breather once you've read it. Also if you've played the video game adaptation, don't let it influence your judgement of the short story since the video game has a lot more in terms of backstories.
>>
I have no mouth and I must meme
>>
guys im about to read all of the comments in this thread,,, what am i in for?
>>
>>7930035
Autism
>>
File: wat_Ren.jpg (51 KB, 220x272) Image search: [Google]
wat_Ren.jpg
51 KB, 220x272
>>7930035
you want a reference for a thread of references to harlan ellison?

dude, i'm about to reply to your message - what am i in for?
>>
>>7928539
I don't know if it's the format or what, but this came off like a parody you'd see in the season 2 of Look Around You or Man to Man with Dean Learner or something.
>>
Hey guys. No Originial op. i finished the story already.... i like it.
Any other creepy computer shit that i need to read?
>>
Hey guys,

I just ordered "For sale: baby shoes, never worn" by Ernest Hemingway.

What am I in for?
>>
>>7931616
spoiler: the baby was dead all along
>>
>>7931616
spoiler: the baby already had a perfectly good pair of shoes

or

the baby grew out of them

or

the baby was born without feet
>>
>>7931616
For Sale:Baby shoes,never worn

For sale: baby shoes. Baby fell into a wood chipper.

For sale: baby shoes. Worn by a GHOST!!!!!!

The last pair of baby shoes sit alone in a room. Somebody is wearing them.

the last pair of baby shoes sits in a room of broken glass. a baby walks in

"Can I put on those baby shoes?" I said.
"No, those are my GHOST BABY'S shoes" The last man on earth said.

The last man on earth answered the phone.
"That moniker really underwrites my gender identity" the last F to M shouted down the phone.

The last phone rings.A baby shoe picks it up

A knock is heard on the door. You trip over a pair of ghost baby shoes on the way.

A baby shoe knocks on the door.
The last ghostman's phone anwsers the knocking

The last phone gets a call frome a baby shoe's gost.
It was actually worn

The last man on earth picks up the phone.
He is asked if he wants to buy used baby shoes.

The last babyman accidentaly sells his new shoes,then dies in agony

The last man in the baby shoe was sitting.
Then someone stepped on him.

The last phone was worn in a door. There is a baby on the earth.

The last man on /lit/ is posting from his phone.
He gets banned by a baby shoe

For sale:Baby,never born

"Baby baby:
Baby baby. Baby baby."
B. Baby

Dead baby for sale. slightly used.

Baby sale: for shoes never worn

I want my baby dead, baby dead, baby dead
(Shoes)

FOUR DEAD BABIES: NEVER WORE SHOES

BUYING DEAD BABY, USED BABY SHOES

Ever worn baby shoes?

The man walked and walked but he never found his way.

"Humanity is doomed," said the young man.
"Humanity has never existed," replied Stirner.
>>
>>7931882
or

baby shoe fashion changes so quickly these days, better sell these frumpy ones I bought 5 minutes ago to the plebs
>>
>>7931606
http://localroger.com/prime-intellect/

AI lets people torture each other in revenge for the shitty things they did to each other before the AI became godlike.

it's a fuck of a lot better written and more considered than Babby Ellision's turgid rant.
>>
File: wat_deathbulge.jpg (71 KB, 179x179) Image search: [Google]
wat_deathbulge.jpg
71 KB, 179x179
>>7932030
>For Sale:Baby shoes,never worn

pfft, these shoes aren't even made from babies. fuck amazon
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.