[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What authors have you read a lot of books by?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
File: groupofyoungwriterspic.jpg (442 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
groupofyoungwriterspic.jpg
442 KB, 1620x1080
I've read about 25 books by Asimov, and I've read about 15 by Margaret Atwood. I prefer to read books by different authors, but some writers are great, you know?
>>
i've read a fair bit of richard yates
>>
When I saw this thread I thought of posting

>I have read five books by George R. R. Martin :^)

But then I had a change of heart. I'm sorry for being such a (potential) shitposter OP. Your thread deserves better.
>>
>>7922747
I am a completionist with a genre bent so ... everything by Gene Wolfe, most of Lafferty's stuff, all of zelazny, all of theodore sturgeon, all of nabokov, most of dickens, philip k dick, bradbury, mishima, faulkner, mieville, melville, hawthorne, everything by keats, Emily dickinson, flannery oconnor, proust, most of pynchon, most of mcarthy, etc.
>>
Dostoevsky
>>
>>7922747

-C.S. Lewis
-Dickens
-Dostoyevsky
-Vonnegut
-Asimov
-Proust (one novel, but 7 books)
-Wallace
>>
Watched/heard/read all of Beckett's plays. It was exhausting but worth it.
>>
>>7923200
>Lewis
>Dickens
>Vonnegut
>Asimov

Get out, Reddit.
>>
>>7923217
>C.S. Lewis
>reddit
you're a funny one
>labeling Dickens as such too for that matter
>>
>>7923214
>plays
Read the novels.
>>
I've read almost all of Bolaño's stuff besides his poetry.
I've also read an awful lot of Cortázar but most of his work is short fiction so it's hard to keep track.
I'm on a Hamsun binge right now but I still have a lot to tackle
>>
>>7923588
Same for Bolano but after a while it gets depressing cos you keep searching for more 2667/Savage Detectives quality but the rest is trash.
Otherwise only Bulgakov and Hemingway im happy to say i've read most of their stuff, the rest are too sporadic for the moment but within a year or two should be 6-7 more authors.
>>
>>7922750
Any recs? Ive read Revolutionary Road but began with Eleven Kinds of Loneliness.
>>
>>7923622
uhh the overwhelming majority of bolaño's work is fantastic.
>>
Currently close to finishing up everything PKD wrote, I really enjoy his work.

Besides that I've got too many essentials and classics in my backlog to be tracking down everything of particular authors just yet. I want to be much more read than I am right now
>>
>>7923279
Thatis the next step, but I really have to detox myself.

Also, were you implying that the plays are not good or are inferior to his novels?
>>
>>7922747
Does anyone else notice there is literally only one white person in this photo?
>>
Vonnegut
Camus
McCarthy
Nietzsche
Hammet
Saunders
Borges
Ligotti
Barron
Dostoyevsky
Salinger
>>
>>7922747
I've read Joyce's main four (Dubliners, Portrait, Ulysses, Finnegans Wake), every Pinecone except Against the Day, a good chunk of DFW's fiction (IJ, Broom of the system, Brief Interviews, and Oblivion), and 7 books by John Hawkes.
>>
>>7923622
Eh, I really liked his novellas (Nocturno de Chile and Una novelita lumpen are fantastic IMO).
His short stories are mostly hit or miss though. I can only recall Sensini and Putas Asesinas having an impact on me.
But overall you are right, he did not write anything at the level of his two "main" novels
>>
Every book by Heinlein.

He was my father's favorite author, and whenever I got bored of my games or got grounded for having bad grades in something, he'd always give me a different book to spend the afternoon on.

After my father disappeared I inherited all of his books, which is mostly just science fiction and novels my grandmother owned.
>>
>>7923686
>which is mostly just science fiction
Your dad sounds like he was a fucking pleb.
>>
>>7923690
Listen here, fuckboy! Classic Science Fiction is pretty patrician.
>>
>>7923690
Sounds like you just hate fun.
>>
>>7923686
only read stranger in a strange land and i loved it. where should i go from here?
>>
>>7923697
>muh jetpack shit
Eat a dick scifag.

>>7923701
If you didn't have lots of fun at Finnegans Wake then you need to get the fuck off this board right now.
>>
Cormac 11 books
Faulkner 7 books
Hemingway 9 books
Dostoevsky 6 books
Steinbeck 5 books
Denis Johnson 5 books
Mishima 5 books
Tolstoy 4 books
Henry Miller 4 books
Hesse 4 books
>>
>>7924130
Straight back to your mother's basement.
>>
>>7922747
should i know any of these writers?
>>
Lemony Snicket 13 books
:^)
>>
>>7923645
You should make a Hawkes Chart
>>
My favorite authors are the authors whom I have read the most books from.

I've read 18 works from Faulkner, seven from Dostoevsky, and four from Kawabata. I've also read the four great works of Joyce, but I didn't like his latter work much.
>>
>>7924207
Why would you waste your time with that much Faulkner
>>
>>7924209
I want to finish reading all his novels someday. I still have 9 novels left. The rest are short fiction I've read.
>>
>>7924209
Faulkner is great, that's why.
>>
>>7924204
I'll MSpaint one up of the things I've read so far/am reading now, but don't expect much from it looks-wise.
>>
I've read 95% of Vonnegut because they are easy to read. Bukowski, the same thing.
>>
>>7924209
If it bothers you feel free to enjoy the entire rest if the internet and go outside more . girlslaughing.jpeg
>>
>>7924130
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is always a fun one. It's a sci-fi detective novel.
>>
>>7922747
Most of this was when I was a teenager. It's much more embarrassing typed out then it seemed in my head.

Sorted in order of embarrassment, least to greatest:
>Thomas Pynchon - everything but Against the Day and Vineland.
>Haruki Murakami - Pretty much everything
>Neal Stephenson - All but a couple of his novels.
>Issac Asimov - Everything Robot and Foundation, plus others.
>Greg Bear - Most of what he's written.
>Neil Gaiman - All of his novels, most short stories.
>Douglas Adams - Everything.
>Orson Scott Card - A ton of his stuff.
>Terry Pratchett - All his discworld stuff until the early 2000's.
>All star wars books published before the early 2000's and an unknowable number of Star Trek books.
>Michael Crichton - Most of his earlier stuff.
>Anne Rice - Her early vampire shit.
>L. Ron Hubbard - His mission Earth series and Battlefield Earth, didn't know scientology existed.
>Chuck Palahniuk - His stuff until the early 2000's.

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.
>>
File: Hawkesguide.jpg (463 KB, 672x3624) Image search: [Google]
Hawkesguide.jpg
463 KB, 672x3624
>>7924229
>>7924204
Done. Keep in mind that he also has several other books and a short story collection that I haven't read yet.
>>
>>7923181
His marc this is charles. How is sex life?
>>
>>7924287
>All star wars books published before the early 2000's and an unknowable number of Star Trek books.

You probably shouldn't tell people this
>>
Updike. He wrote a lot.
>>
>>7923622
Are you crazy my man? I just finished El Tercer Reich and it was amazing, a very heavy experience.
>>
Martin Amis
>>
>>7924287
I admire your candor, a.non. You are a badass at reading.
>>
>>7924395
Oh, please, ninja. Like you slid out your mamas slimy crack reading "Thus Spake Zerathrusta".
>>
Shakespeare: 40
Plato: 39
Nabokov: 23
Corneille: 21
Euripides: 18
>>
>>7924287
I read at least 20 Stephen King books and like 50 of those fucking "In Death" books by Nora Roberts before I moved on to serious reading.
>>
>>7924466
How is Euripides?
>>
File: booksnr.jpg (42 KB, 375x907) Image search: [Google]
booksnr.jpg
42 KB, 375x907
>>
>>7924475
Based as far as I'm concerned, but I love the period. The other Greek tragedians would be in the top five if they had written more. I've read all of them.
>>7924491
>all that Dick
I need to read more of his and Asimov's.
>>
>>7924395
>You probably shouldn't tell people this
I don't.
>>7924450
Thanks.
>>7924471
Genuinely curious, how does someone get started reading Nora Roberts? I've never been able to understand the apparently huge appeal of Nora Roberts/Danielle Steele/mary Higgins Clark etc. Romance/mystery/thriller novels.
>>
>>7924471
>50 Nora Roberts books
>not 10
>not 20
>not 30
>50 fucking Nora Roberts books

Jesus Christ why would you even do that to yourself.
>>
>>7924523
It wasn't straight up Nora Roberts, but Nora Roberts under her JD Robb pseudonym that she only uses for her scifi crime fiction series "In Death". If you live in 'murrica those things are in basically every public library by the metric fuckton.
>>
R.L. Stine. I read every Goosebumps book from Welcome to Dead House through the Beast from the East. Which is over 40.
>mic drop
>>
>>7924546
See >>7924548
Not that those are any less trashy, but I'd never be able to get through her regular books.
>>
>>7924491
>16 books by kafka
are you logging each page as an individual book? dude has 3 novels and collected stories. what the fucks goin on here
>>
>>7924548
>scifi crime fiction series
That's much more understandable.
>>7924554
If kids books count I've read the entire animorphs series, ostensibly because my younger brother liked them.
>>
>>7924565
People do this with each short story of Chekhov's.
>>
File: fuckmylife34.png (104 KB, 346x1500) Image search: [Google]
fuckmylife34.png
104 KB, 346x1500
I dont know what im doing with my life
>>
>>7922747
when i was growing up i read every single redwall book up to high rhulain
>>
>>7923663
Last Evenings on Earth, Prefiguration of Lalo Cura, Beach, Ann Moore's Life, Mauricio The Eye Silva, Dentist, Enrique Martin, Cell Mates, The Insufferable Gaucho, William Burns, Clara, Photographs, Murdering Whores, and Phone Calls are all fucking great.
>>
i've read more Ballard and Burroughs than any other authors, and i'd like to finish their bibliographies some day. i've also read a lot of Lovecraft, but those are all short stories.
>>
55 by C. J. Cherryh (I will own her bibliography soon enough)
Lots of Asimov, Feist, Heinlein, Brooks, Stephenson, Harrison, etc...
>>
>>7924157
>If you didn't have lots of fun at Finnegans Wake then you need to get the fuck off this board right now.

Whack fol the dah now dance to yer partner around the flure yer trotters shake
Wasn't it the truth I told you? Lots of fun at Finnegan's Wake !!! i've never read it
>>
>>7922747
>but some writers are great, you know?
Definitely not the ones you posted though, God forbid
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.