[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you find it hard to write characters who are not your gender?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4
File: boat.jpg (495 KB, 1024x752) Image search: [Google]
boat.jpg
495 KB, 1024x752
Do you find it hard to write characters who are not your gender?
>>
>>7921841
Nah, my protagonists are usually women.
>>
Most of the time I can change my characters gender and not need to revise anything, so no.
>>
Yes, because honest representation would be labeled misogynist. Women don't represent themselves very well. Example: guy asks me and a younger girl if he should send a slightly older woman he just started talking to flowers. I say not until you get where you want to be or she will think you are desperate. Young girl says oh yeah that would be sweet, so he does. The woman starts ignoring him, perceiving the neediness in his character. Can't treat a casual woman that nicely at the start or she sees no challenge if you lack wealth or looks, and you can take that to the bank. Girls aren't honest about their socially derived personalities and desires at all.
>>
>>7921919
Huh? That seems strange. How bland are your characters
>>
>>7921935
>here's my anecdotal evidence about one woman hurting my feelings
>all women are stupid trash
>>
>>7921950
The story isnt about me. Women have hurt me in a completely different way - stalking and not taking no for an answer, and in retaliation ruining my professional career. Being ignored by them would have been a blessing for me.
>>
>>7921943
It could be because I don't tend to write about areas of life in which men and women differ much. I'd actually say that it makes them more real.
>>
>>7921910
Good to see you Tom
>>
>>7921943
not that person obviously, but I thought that I couldn't write women very well, but then I realized that in the novel I was writing the protagonist had a gender ambiguous name and I had at no point made it clear that he was male via pronouns or anything else. So I asked someone to read a part of it and then questioned them about what gender they thought the protagonist was, and they said they couldn't tell. So in that case I started to actively make it ambiguous. But that also goes to show that there are cases where it's totally transferrable, and I got to that point totally by accident, so if, say, you know you can't write women... I'm not sure what it but there's a solution in there somewhere
>>
>>7921841
I'm genderfluid and non-binary, so I guess that's no problem for me
>>
>>7921841

I find it hard to write characters that are my gender. I don't know what it's like to be a woman, so it seems fresh and mysterious to me. On the other hand, I know guys, I know what it's like to be a guy, and it's simple, boring and grating.
>>
I'm a white boy and I find it hatd to write women and men of colour.
>>
>>7922061
you are binary as fuck you dumb shit.
>>
>>7922084
Wow, and I thought /lit/ was an intelligent board.
>>
>>7922088
what meme
>>
>>7921841
No. If you have problems writing women it means you haven't had enough of them on your dick to understand them. Rectify this.
>>
Pro tip: men and women think the same
>>
>>7922116
/lit/ - virgins
>>
Yes, but when I do I use the same cognition and avoid sexual situations, not necessarily gender roles.
>>
>>7922116
Maybe this effete nancy young generation does, but old men think very differently than women. Now everyone thinks like a bitch.
>>
>>7921841
My characters are all gender fluid because i'm not a child who thinks gender matters
>>
>>7922129
When gay men hit on me, easy to deal with. No. When women like me, i know i am in trouble if i have to say no because of my job or whatever (once upon a time, a college teacher). They are vindictive and malicious. Women are completely different than men, even gay men.
>>
File: 1450750095001.jpg (114 KB, 1359x960) Image search: [Google]
1450750095001.jpg
114 KB, 1359x960
>>7922129
>>
>>7921841
I just write how I'd act if I were a 15 year old again; that's how you write women, write them like children.
>>
>>7922132
Gender determines everything. Hit a woman in the face and she will fold like a young boy, even a professional fighter. See what a real man does post testosterone.
>>
>>7922136
which one is the wife
>>
>>7922142
all of them
>>
>>7922142
all of them.
>>
>>7922136
would fuck the 2nd one on the back tbqh
>>
File: 1440090418114.jpg (22 KB, 300x350) Image search: [Google]
1440090418114.jpg
22 KB, 300x350
>>7922143
>>7922144
>>
>>7922147
I'd fuck the one holding the AR.
>>
>>7922139
Why don't we just not hit anyone in the face?
>>
>>7921841
Yeah. Or at least, writing white male characters seems more natural to me.

Out of the 10 scripts and stories I haven't written, 8 protagonists have been white dudes.
>>
>>7922068
Woah. You might want to study into your feelings a bit more.

>>7922181
>can't even handle a hypothetical scenario depecticing a true fact because it's 'angry'
>>
>>7922139
t. schlumpy 26-year-old grad student
>>
>>7922142
Each is a daughter. From left to right, I'd rate them as
>Blue farmer dress
>Blue modern dress
>White dress

the other two are far too young to be wifable
>>
>>7922216
You sound like an angry child
This board might be more suited to you >>>/b/
>>
>>7921965
Mind sharing a greentext?
>>
File: ok.jpg (34 KB, 426x418) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
34 KB, 426x418
>>7921965
Sure they did kiddo
>>
>>7922116
>>7922129

>fails to understand the inherent impossibility of gaining any direct knowledge of another's qualia

Even Nagel realized tgis, and he's not the brightest. Try thinking sometimes before being opinionated.
>>
>>7922221
39 year old has been, once a college lit professor, honestly. But i look damn good.
>>
>>7922268
>college professor in a small town after a decade of bad jobs. My lucky break.
>lead advisor to honor society
>still a man despite teaching lit
>women become obsessed with me and follow me around
>17 year old student wont leave me alone.
>find out she is 17 and try to avoid being in office alone, but she is trying for an honor society office so I have to deal with her.
>her stalking gets out of hand and culminates in her blocking me from the door of my car, saying it will "go better for me" if i give her what she wants. (Sex)
>turn in my second report on her
>school asks for witnesses
>i produce a bunch
>school says talking about situation with other students was a Ferpa violation
>three hour interrogation right before finals week
>they are looking to blame me because she is under age and they dont want scandal, all they need to prove is I did not maintain proper professional distance, not that I did anything
>i quit. Three years later, still not even a phone interview for college positions.
>bitch cant take no for an answer and ruins man's life. Back to 10 dollar an hour jobs.
>>
>>7922382
You definitely got fucked over but she sounds like a very specific type of psycho hick bitch. I wouldn't assume all women are --that-- vindictive, even the unbearably cunty ones.
>>
>>7922382
Sheesh, that's harsh.
>>
>>7922259
4chan is not your safe space.
Perhaps a tumblr feminist blog would be more suited to you.
>>
>>7922382
>you will never be a college professor whose life is like a slightly depressing harem anime
Feels bad
>>
>>7922088
WENT OUT SWIMMIN GOT HIT BY A JET SKI
>>
>>7922382
Write it.
>>
>>7922429
To be fair, you/he do/does sound like a fucking brainless mong, opinions about women notwithstanding.
>>
>>7922441
Thx hindu floaty thing
>>
>>7922446
>sound like a fucking brainless mong
How so?
>>
>>7922456
>HURRR PUNCH EM' IN THE FACE AND YOU'LL SEE WHAT THEY'RE REALLY MADE OF
That's how.
>>
>>7922474
You're paraphrasing badly. He was explaining the difference between men and women. How each sex responds to violence was just one example. You then responded with a non-sequitur about not hitting anyone (implying he was actually advocating punching a woman) and followed it up with accusations of anger and puerile insults. You come across as a jackass who feels the need to try and control everyone around you. Seek therapy.
>>
>>7921841
Yeah I do. Whenever I try and write male characters they come out like Mark from Peep Show.
>>
>>7922382
A similar thing happened to me, female stalker that won't take no for an ansver. Didn't turn me into a misogynist, though, guys did worse things to me.
>>
>>7922526
I am not truly a misogynist, but i think there are profound differences between men and women and in general they can both ascend to the heights of evil. Piss off a woman and you will be ruined or in jail ... piss off a man and you might be dead. When she threatened me I thought how easy it would be to reach out and snap her neck, but I thought let's do this rationally. ... now my gripe is with forensic science heh heh. The worst part of the interogation was when the old man running it acted incredulous that she wouldnt let me in the car, asking why I simply didnt get in and drive off. Strong enough to do something, handicapped by the law and consequences and public opinion ... what it is to be a man now in this shit era.
>>
>>7922493
What sort of mental gymnastics does it take to actually think this way? You seem like the type of person lobotomies were invented for, t b h. The terminally retarded kind.
>>
just write people you autistic fucks
>>
>>7922557
>mental gymnastics
You mean basic reading comprehension? At any rate, I have neither the skills nor the patience to help you with your blatant emotional problems, so I'll leave you to your little bitch fit.
>>
>>7922068
hint: being a woman is also simple, boring, and grating
>>
>>7922442
I probably will some day, but the urge to turn it into kafkaesque grotesquery might be too strong ... she might wake up one morning as sentient armpit sludge. The bureacracy could be more or less unchanged, however.
>>
>>7922605
Do you think men and women aren't different?
>>
I've never found any trouble writing characters of any gender or age. Race is probably where it gets trickier because of culture. But even that tends not to be a particularly difficult hurdle.
>>
>>7922139
Yeah not anymore. 'Men' fold too now. Source: Hit quite a few people in my lifetime, was hit often myself.
>>
>>7922731
This is why pacquiao, hopkins, and floyd could compete way past their sell-by date at the top level - the up and comers under 35 are soft or flawed. Great fighters in the past like sugar ray leonard or wilfredo benitez were done by 33, the young up and comers had too many of the attributes of youth (especially at the lower weight classes where one punch power wasnt widespread.) Now intangibles like generational mindset have completely changed the land scape - young fighters dont have the mental fortitude to replace the old guard until they are ancient. Old fighters like archie moore became gate keepers, not elite champions. Sad.

I have trained in a lot of vegas boxing gyms ... when you spar females, you have to try not to hurt them by accident. The skill level of an elite woman professional is like an average amateur man's - nothing to write home about. (I do love my violence).
>>
>>7922139
I'd never write a fight scene though
>>
>>7922142
pretty sure the second from the right
>>
>>7922429
kek you're privilelege sir
>>
Physical Endeavors:
>don't put women in a fight scene
>don't write fight scenes to be edited by women
>don't write fight scenes at all unless they are a character battering the other / domestic abuse
>keep back-and-forth paragraphs to a minimum
>if you gotta write fight scene just don't make it an all-out slugfest. Actually put yourself in the place of a character wanting to get past that without a broken body.
>>
>>7922216
>You might want to study into your feelings a bit more.

That's for pussies.

>>7922612

Most likely. But the point is, I don't know that, so I can write like it's something better.
>>
>>7922382
Crap, brother.

>>7922442
This!
I have a completelly different question.

My english is... bad. How to improve it, both grammatic and vocabulary. Reading and talking doesn't lead me any further.
>>
>>7921841
Look at those skanks arching their backs. It would be funny if they are left like that, like this girl I used to go to school with.
>>
>>7923180
At this point you might need systematic input on your writing from someone competent to give you constructive feedback. Writing English on the sentence level is easy once you have internalized the distinctions between independent and dependent clauses and the function of various phrases. Punctuation and transition can grant the illusion of cohesion. Like anything else structured practice makes perfect but you need someone who can point you in the right direction. For English as a Second Language the challenge involves words spelled differently but pronounced the same and the lack of consistency in grammatical rules due to the high percentage of borrowed words in English. Wish I could offer more help.
>>
>>7923203
That's more than I hoped for. Thank you, Anon!

An extraordinary namefag from /mlp/
>>
>>7922136
>all those delicious white meat to breed
>>
>>7922259
And still, at least I gave you a point, and didn't toss out an insult. Grow up.
>>
>>7922705
I don't think they're that different, no.
>>
>>7922611
>>7923381
You're talking to at least two if not three or more different people, so yes, you're a total retard and should be lobotomized. Maybe castrated too, so you don't inadvertently spread your retard genes around.
>>
>>7922382
Sorry buddy, maybe you have grounds for a lawsuit
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.