[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your fondest memory of reading Harry Potter? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 19
File: harry potter.jpg (16 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
harry potter.jpg
16 KB, 183x275
What's your fondest memory of reading Harry Potter?

What is one scene you enjoyed the most?

Who are your favorite characters?

This is a comfy thread. Please no bullying or curse words.
>>
fuck off
>>
Get to fuck
>>
>>7921649
fuck off
>>
>>7921650
>>7921653
>>7921655
Please NO bullying or cursing.

*expelliarmus!"
>>
Having my mom forbid me from reading it.
I'm thankful for that now and I'll forbid my children shitty literature one day as well.
>>
>>7921660
Gosh, she sounds almost as bad as Aunt Petunia!
>>
>>7921649
Leave, please.
>>
>>7921649
throwing goblet of fire in the trash after spilling soda all over it. it saved me from wasting any more time on those shit tier books.

i still went to see the movies with my mom, though.
>>
File: 1438612776977.gif (92 KB, 312x390) Image search: [Google]
1438612776977.gif
92 KB, 312x390
>What's your fondest memory of reading Harry Potter?
When I remember thinking "whoa this is sooo much better than the movies"
>What is one scene you enjoyed the most?
The scene where he stretched his legs
>Who are your favorite characters?
The legs
>>
>>7921649
Flipping to the end of HBP as you do and spoiling for myself that Dumbledore dies - so of course I told my sister, too.
None of them, to be honest. I remember liking the books, but there weren't any particularly good scenes. I vaguely recall a few bits of just the kids hangin' around shooting the shit or making fun of each other that I liked, though.
Same as above. Rowling can entertain children, but she sure as hell can't write them (or adults).
>>
I really enjoyed reading book three and four, as well as 7 because is the only one I read before seeing the movie.
I particularly enjoyed Harry & Hermione alone in the woods & the Godric's Hollow scene
>>
>>7921693
>Harry & Hermione alone in the woods

u wot?
>>
I've only read the first book, and the only part i thought wasn't complete trash was the part with the centaurs, I enjoyed that.
>>
marathoning goblet of fire with a friend reading at the same time.

getting the twist for book 3 was fun as well
>>
>>7921649
Probably reading Chamber of secrets when I was 12. The bit where he discovers the hidden bathroom. The whole ending of that book was legit IMO.
>>
I ve read the first two books and i was forced to read them so i skimmed the shit out of it. I do recall the placement and the street lights of harrys home
>>
>>7921687
>implying anyone ever read HP for the characters.
worldbuilding my man

also, it should be noted that I fully support this comfy thread.
intellectualism and anti-intellectualism are memes, an undiscriminating love for books is the only real truth
>>
>>7921649

I found Half-Blood Prince to be the comfiest book. It was the book that was most focused on just going through the motions of the school year, and the relationships between characters. I love the scene where Harry takes the lucky potion, and every action he takes is confident and assured.
>>
>>7921701

I think the twist in book 3 was incredible. The scene where Harry and Ron end up in that house under the tree, where they confront Sirius is probably the most climactic moment of the series, despite the fact that it's not even the book's climax. It was great seeing Sirius, Snape, Lupin and Wormtail all in one room and figuring out where everyone stood.
>>
Dont really understand the hate for these books, theyre great for introducing kids to reading.

I really liked the scenes with Mad Eye Moody (and his imposter). All of the Christmas chapters are comfy as fuck too.
>>
>>7921879
>you will never take Hermione to the Yuletide ball
>>
File: 1448285270397.jpg (57 KB, 720x735) Image search: [Google]
1448285270397.jpg
57 KB, 720x735
>>7921879
>Dont really understand the hate for these books, theyre great for introducing kids to reading.

this, honestly looks like a bunch of 21 year old cringelords who followed the /lit/ advice and read "the greeks" and now think they are hot shit philosophers
>>
when I was waiting anxiously waiting for the 6th or 7th book and desperate and it was summer and it "leaked" so i spent all day and night reading a poorly formatted pdf on my computer and was titillated by how risque it had gotten, sharing the scenes with my friends. only well after the fact, weeks later, did i figure out i had read a fake, a fanfic. pretty well written 2bh.
>>
I never read that book because I'm not a faggot. I remember when I was a kid in elementary (26 now) the only people who read it were girls. so I deemed it gay as fuck. I read the Lord of the rings and Dune series instead.
>>
File: 567567766.jpg (71 KB, 1024x574) Image search: [Google]
567567766.jpg
71 KB, 1024x574
>>7921998
>>
>>7921990
also it was harry/hermione one, which was probably why i liked it.
>>
>>7921649
Way too many scenes. First that comes to mind is the Cemetery scene (Ending of Goblet of Fire). I enjoyed the atmosphere.

Favorite character:
Severus Snape.
>>
>>7922015
>Way too many scenes.

I thought you were complaining at first.
>>
>>7921649
Reading the first book in a couple of nights and wanting more.
>>
>>7921659
lol anon dont show the muggles! xD
>>
>>7921878
refresh me on this. was it that they were part of a clique and bullied snape? cant remember.
>>
>>7922047
sirius was breaking in to murder rons pet rat not harry, the rat was actually his old school chum who also happened to have gotten harrys parents murdered
>>
>>7921682
this made me laugh way too hard
>>
>>7921649

The Goblet of Fire was probably the highlight. It captured the essence of the series, the few things that made it enjoyable and which lacked proper polish in the beginning. At least that's the way I remember it. Then the later books did their best to destroy it all.
>>
My favourite chapter in all of the series is when Harry and Dumbledore are exploring Horcruxes. The first time when Harry's in his office because he just got the memory back from Slughorn. If not that then it must be the scene where Harry meets his Godfather at the Shrieking Shack in book 3. Even the scenes before and after that are okay for a read.
>>
>>7921967
Keanu is hot, man
>>
File: feelyman.png (9 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
feelyman.png
9 KB, 645x773
>you will never be tucked up in bed with your mother reading "this new book about magic that people were writing about in the newspaper"
>you will never plead for one more chapter before she laughs and kisses you on the forehead
>you will never drift off smiling, completely innocent and without cynicism or bitterness
>>
>>7922052
Remind me why Wormtail turned himself into a rat again?

Also the plotting by Ms. Rowling is just phenomenal. The whole series is filled with Chekhov's Guns that you don't even realize are guns until they go off. Superb plotting.
>>
>>7922575

He was supposedly killed by Sirius Black when Wormtail went to avenge Black betraying the Potters, although of course it was the other way round.

I actuall agree about Rowling's plots, for the first 5/6 books they are very good by YA standards. She can't write descriptions or action scenes at all, though.
>>
>>7922598
What's wrong with her descriptions?

It's weird. I re-read Philosopher's Stone again recently and the density of expression in such a small book (200 pages) is so astounding. Maybe it's because I know what the characters turn out to be like in subsequent books but she really does manage to build a world in those 200 pages, even if it's a little non-serious at times (Fred and George randomly stroking a giant octopus which had come to the surface of the lake etc). But the fact she spent 5 years plotting all seven books (to an extent) including all the major characters and their traits and how they tie into the plot overall is just amazing. She was a NEET for much of those five years too.
>>
I enjoyed the slice of life stuff in OOTP and HBP, that's about it
>>
Requesting that one copypasta
>>
>>7921649

Harry Potter has tricked its audience as being marketed as non-commercial literature when it is in fact, commercial literature, of the lowest common denominator. That's the only magical thing about the series. It has done both damages to literature and cinema, with lasting effects still lingering today.
>>
favourite scenes
>not harry by the lake seeing his mother's patronus
>not dumbledore fighting voldemort in the ministry of magic
>actually that whole section of the book when harry and friends enter the room with all those magic balls whatever the fuck they were. all the fighting, the tension, the FEAR.
>>
>>7921649
OH BOY THIS EXPLAINS WHATS WRONG WITH YOU ALL

YOU ALL LIKE HARRY POTTER
>pls die america
>>
>>7922669
>I enjoyed the slice of life stuff
Ya. She should have just stuck with this and fleshed out the world. SoL is where it's at.
>>
File: bait5.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
bait5.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>7921649
>Please no bullying or curse words.
this was almost decent, but you ruined it at the last second.
>>
>>7922609

She has a tendency to use horrible cliche. Everytime she describes a colour, for instance, it is always "jet black", "blood red" "chestnut brown" etc. If you're going to be that unoriginal then just say 'black', 'red' and 'brown'

I'm far from a Potter hater, she is a very capable writer in many respects, although her descriptions do really grate. The problem she has writing acton and battles isn't really made evident util the second half of the series
>>
>>7921682
>>
>>7922757
Ok I understand and agree. I noticed the "jet black" thing too. I like her sense of humour though. Another flaw is the dialogue at times which just explains the plot or repeats word for word to remind the reader, or simply just says "suddenly X was reminded of Y. Yes, that explained it, Z must have known about Y the entire time!" but I guess that's just children's writing in general.

Also I don't have a specific scene that I remember but I do remember one part, not sure which book, where Harry sneaks out at night I think to visit Moaning Myrtle and he hides up a stone spiral staircase while Filch lurks nearby. Something so comfy about night time at Hogwarts and the promise of a comfy Gryffindor common room with the fire etc. Another is when Hermione, Ron and Harry travel around with the invisible tent and Harry says "Voldemort" (which he wasn't supposed to) and suddenly some bad guys apparition into the area since they know someone said it nearby but the tent is luckily invisible.
>>
Why does /lit/ hate harry potter?
>>
>>7924077
nu-bullies
>>
as a kid during summer break I spent a week at my cottage reading through one of the books
>>
>>7924077
because we view things through a lens of literary merit while shunning "reading for entertainment"
>>
File: bloom.jpg (33 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
bloom.jpg
33 KB, 720x480
>>7924077
>>
>>7924161
"literary merit" is just entertainment value for educated adults
>>
>>7924077
i don't hate it but honestly it's only good-tier children's fantasy.
otoh, people love it because of nostalgia not because it's brilliant
>>
>>7922564
Ah, but I did all of those thing and more, Anon.
>>
>you will never escape your shitty muggle life by being invited to attend Hogwarts
>you will never rush through the barrier at King's Cross station and find a seat next to a Hermione-esque qt
>you will never walk around a giant castle in robes all day
>you will never lie tucked up in bed in your small stone-floored dorm at night as the wind and rain thrashes outside
>you will never sit with your qt crush by the fire in the Gryffindor common room
>you will never nervously make your way down to the great hall for the Yuletide Ball and find your qt crush waiting for you with her friends
>you will never browse a shop selling magical books with your qt gf in Diagon Alley
>you will never attend a feast in the great hall
>you will never eat breakfast in the great hall and have your pet owl deliver some comfy winter clothes from back home
>you will never sneak out at night to make out with your shy Hufflepuff girlfriend
>you will never nervously stand in front of the whole school before being sorted into your desired house
>you will never solve mysteries with your buddies
>you will never get the rare salty coin bean from Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Jelly Belly Beans
>you will never defend yourself against a dementor
>you will never attend the Quidditch World Cup
>you will never be befriended by a giant eccentric gatekeeper
>you will never celebrate the end of the O.W.L exams by getting drunk with your qt gf and listening to post-Goblin core music in your dorm
>you will never be forced to stay at Hogwarts over the Christmas break and spend your time in the library reading in silence and watching the snow falling through the leaded windows
>you will never taste butterbear
>you will never have a calm, compassionate and humorous headmaster to serve as the father figure you never had
>>
>>7924940
Please kill me.
>>
File: 1402989434310.jpg (18 KB, 249x213) Image search: [Google]
1402989434310.jpg
18 KB, 249x213
>>7924940
>>
File: 293-depressed.jpg (29 KB, 580x520) Image search: [Google]
293-depressed.jpg
29 KB, 580x520
>>7924940
Jesus.
>>
>>7924940
Nah I won't. But I'll still smoke dat kush and fuck mah bish.
>>
>>7924940
>you will never walk around a giant castle in robes all day
>you will never solve mysteries with your buddies
>you will never be befriended by a giant eccentric gatekeeper
>you will never taste butterbear

Why not? These are all perfectly possible in our world.
>>
>>7925084
mah man, Das Dat shit rite dere
>>
Probably plowing through the entire series in the months right before Deathly Hallows was released (with the exception of the third book since I had read that right before the third film came out). I'd often read them in the lavish sitting room of my rich aunt and uncle's house and since it was June and July the heavy curtains would often be partially drawn and the air conditioning on full-blast and pretty much sitting inside reading during the summer is my comfiest memory of Harry Potter.
>>
File: muh wand.jpg (28 KB, 800x337) Image search: [Google]
muh wand.jpg
28 KB, 800x337
>>7921649
Ignore holier than thou anons OP. Also you didn't answer your own questions, please do!

Fondest memory: My two best friends and I started day dreaming once about the HP universe and what it would be like to live there and who we'd be, what we'd do, houses we'd be in, etc. It was one of my fondest memories because we don't speak anymore but we had lots of fun with it.

One scene I enjoyed the most: Anytime Hermione's intelligence shone. I love that kid so much.

Favorite characters... Too many to count but Mainly Hermione, Lucius, Snape. I think they're one of the most complex and morally flexible characters.
>>
>>7925196
OP here. Here are my answers: >>7923490
>>
>>7924077
because this is a literature board.
>>
>>7921649
reading the 7th book on a plane from missouri in 6th grade while listening to the new dolores o'riordan album on my ipod shuffle

guess how many friends I had
>>
Harry Potter

Gay

Asking not to be bullied

Anon, please.
>>
i remember reading the sixth book at my grandma's house during a party. when i read that Dumbledore died i was aghast and sad. Sadness gave way to anxiousness at having to wait two years to find out what happened. I think that palpable sense of being sucked into a world is my favorite memory.

It's interesting to reflect on times when i wasn't jaded and cynical and elitist, when i was just enjoying books and enjoying growing up. I think those associative feelings of nostalgia, innocent happiness, and great expectations are what i like best about Harry Potter.
>>
>>7925451
>I think those associative feelings of nostalgia, innocent happiness, and great expectations are what i like best about Harry Potter.

Same here. I used to wait for my mom to get back the supermarket where she'd pick up the new HP along with the week's groceries and I'd spend the whole day sat on the staircase by the front door reading it. I miss childhood.
>>
>>7925206
>implying it's not

You're just being autistic about it becoming a commercialized franchise.
>>
File: 2016-02-22 23.13.40.jpg (255 KB, 1567x197) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-22 23.13.40.jpg
255 KB, 1567x197
>>7921680
>i still went to see the movies with my mom, though

Yeah me too. I read the first and second but just went to the cinema with her instead. Became a kind of tradition. Did it with LOTR too (although I read all of those) and we tried to do it again, suffering through the Hobbit films.

>>7921682
Kek

>>7921879
Pic related.
>>
>>7921649

The christmas break winter scenes are always comfy.
>>
>>7921660

Harry Potter is a fine children's book series. Not the greatest child-friendly literature, but infinitely better than, say, videogames.

The problem with it is that grown-ass adults read this and YA exclusively. This kind of willful infantilization retards intellectual development.

But for kids, it's really not that bad.
>>
My sister used to tie me to her bed and make me read Greek literature with her, I never got to read kid's books.

We still do this, just without the reading part.
>>
>>7925894
I'd rather my kids played Morrowind or Ck2 than Harry Potter tbqh
>>
>>7924077

Because they're middlebrow and thus regurgitate what Bloom has said thinking that they must be smart if they parrot a Yale professor. Furthermore, it creates distance to other readers in the same age group as the average /lit/ user. The definitively most important thing to a /lit/ user is nursing an illusion of intellectual superiority. This is done through hateful and exclusionary elitism.

I predict my motives will now be questioned. Regardless, what I've written is true. Most of the posts on this board are void of intellectual merit, and instead contain increasingly desperate and hateful attempt at suggesting the posters superiority.
>>
>>7922564

Already did. My childhood was wonderful. My mother would read, and my father would make up adventures each night.
>>
>>7922718

Elaborate on the lasting damage.
>>
>>7925907

Alright, I'll concede to that. But FIFA, CoD, AC, or any other generic copy of a copy triple-A titles, which is far more likely for a kid to play than those? HP is better.
>>
>>7925451
>>7925468

Cynicism and bogus elitism is a choice to some degree.
>>
File: 1453859206207.jpg (60 KB, 521x661) Image search: [Google]
1453859206207.jpg
60 KB, 521x661
>>7924940
>>
>>7922691
Look who it is again, ID Heaven. I’m fed up with your shit faggot. The other day when you called me a newfag, yeah, haven’t forgotten about that yet.
Fuck you I’ve been on here for months and probably get on here more than you anyways. Don’t you know that you make yourself look like a newfag when you call others newfag?
Just because you learned how to hack your name and change it to “Heaven” does not give you the right to disrespect anyone at any time.
>>
>>7924875
>and more
P-please elaborate.
>>
>>7921649
It's bad writing. Bad writing for children is still bad writing.
>>
>>7925899
>My sister used to tie me to her bed and make me read KIDS literature with her, I never got to read KID's books.
fix
>>
>>7926627
Nah.
>>
What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>>
>>7924077
Because it is popular, and this is where the edgy kids walk.
>>
>>7927271

i don't want to dispute what you're saying. but there is a merrit in being dumb (by nature or self chosen, doesn't matter). and you're dumb in comparison to another person and therefore are able to enjoy stuff in life he won't. people enjoying harry potter are probably dumber than you, but there is nothing wrong with it. alice won't make children better people than HP (if you're not judging people only by their ability to understand or create art).

i enjoyed harry potter and i'll admit, that i'm probably dumber than you. doesn't mean your life has any more relevance than mine. we all go the same.
>>
when i was 11 and i read that part in the beginning of the 2nd part where malfoy calls ginny harry's gf excited me quite a bit
>>
I read this book in a closet underneath my babysitter's stairs. It never dawned on me until now.
>>
File: 1432748598105.jpg (17 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
1432748598105.jpg
17 KB, 480x352
>>7924940
my gf and I just got back from Wizarding World, butterbeer is amazing
>>
I just really enjoyed the last book and seeing how everything fit together.
>>
File: 3462357357.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
3462357357.gif
1 MB, 500x281
First, sorry for my English. My personal feelings towards HP aside, what I don't get it is this boards utter readiness to shit on content that brings other people happiness. They assume everyone's goal is to become a bullshit pseudo intellectual literary elitist whose sole purpose is to tear apart the grammar and writing style and totally ignore the pleasing aspect of the worlds these kind of books create, the escapist aspect of it all. They may believe that good literature is what brings them joy, no matter how depressing the content, which is fine, to each their own. But why not accept that others do not share these views? That not every book you pick up has to be for the purpose of self betterment, or that sometimes books such as these do actually lead to self betterment, writing aside? It seems to me people on here are too focused on the minute meme details that they totally ignore the larger meaning of what they provide to us as human beings. I hope I made some sense friends.
>>
>>7924940
Yeah, but after you graduate Hogwarts, life is boring as fuck, unless your 15 year-old self chose to be a cryptbreaker or a dragonologist.

Apparently there's no college or test retakes in the wizarding world, so if you weren't an ambitious kid or had no idea what you wanted back then, YOU'RE FUCKED. Leaving the coolest place in the world to be a random joe shmoe in a silly hat.
>>
>>7925468
>I'd spend the whole day sat on the staircase by the front door reading it.

I miss my staircase by the frontdoor, so many nice vague memories.
>>
>>7928120

Yup, /lit/ for some reason believes that its' better than everyone else particularly the other 4Chan boards, when in reality its' just as bad as r9k's pseudo-psychoanalysis of dating or /pol/'s full on inanity
>>
>>7928120
>I don't get it is this boards utter readiness to shit on content that brings other people happiness.

Masturbating all day long, drinking too much alcohol and doing drugs might bring people happiness, for about as long as reading a Harry Potter anyway, but that doesn't make it the highest form of entertainment, or very good for you. It's only when you realize personal pleasure isn't the be-all and end-all of life that you may be considered an adult.
>>
>>7928513
You are talking about two extremes here, and no balance. People do things they enjoy and they do things that improve them as humans. i.e. I am learning a language in my spare time, but I also read what I enjoy, whatever I deem enjoyable. Doesn't matter if it's the highest form of entertainment or not. No one can dedicate their entire lives solely to evolve, and even if and when they do, they take time off to do things they enjoy, that is my point. It can be as simple as having a smoke out on the terrace or just listening to music. Not everything has to be 100% purest form of whatever it is they are doing. I'll be damned if most of the people who spew that hateful bullshit actually practice what they preach.
>>
>>7928583

All I'm saying is, you're making it sound like the masses out there enjoying HP means /lit/ shouldn't speak badly of it. But people are allowed to enjoy poor entertainment from time to time, while still rightfully acknowleding its flaws and calling it out on it. Not everything needs to serve self-improvement, yes, but neither should mediocrity be forgiven just because we're all imperfect and there might be some minuscule good to be gained from it.
>>
>>7928625
I never excused mediocrity. Nor do I think it is forgivable for anyone to. It is exactly like you said, people are allowed to enjoy poor entertainment from time to time, that is all. I don't think anyone could really (aside from perhaps a spur of the moment type thing) argue it is the best thing that ever existed and put it up on a pedestal, but I see your point, and it is a good one. Perhaps it is just the severity of the language that gets to me. There are better ways to communicate it, in fact that better way to communicate that message is exactly what you did.
>>
>>7928651

Well, this is 4chan. Users here veil their opinions in insults and vulgarity, and you can't always tell if there's even a real opinion there, or if they're just starting shit for the hell of it. But I think that's part of the charm. It's how the rest of the internet would talk too if only they had the balls.
>>
File: Promo-Potter-7-HD.jpg (465 KB, 1654x1854) Image search: [Google]
Promo-Potter-7-HD.jpg
465 KB, 1654x1854
>>7921649
My fondest memory is reading Goblet of Fire within days and getting to the plot twist at the end. It was a really good twist and Voldemort being back made the book really memorable for me. I think it's still my favorite book in the series.

Without a doubt, the scene that describes the Potters' death from Voldemort's perspective in the Deathly Hallows.

I quite like Ron, McGonagall, Remus, Moody, and Tonks. I also liked Voldemort, but he ends up being a bit too uninteresting overall.

>This is a comfy thread. Please no bullying or curse words.
mup da doo didda imperio gob bidda be dat tum crucio bix nood avada kedavra dub foo muhfugga
>>
>>7921649

I queued up with my dad for the midnight release of Order of the Phoenix. I started reading it as soon as we got in the car and I'd finished it before dinner the same day.

I loved any time they actually attended the classes. I could never understand why they would be bored in history class; they were literally being taught by a ghost about magical events, but they would just fuck about in it.

Remus Lupin, Mad Eye Moody, Serverus Snape, and Lord Voldemort. And, annoyingly, she killed off all four of them.
>>
>>7924940

>you will never be forced to stay at Hogwarts over the Christmas break and spend your time in the library reading in silence and watching the snow falling through the leaded windows

This one broke me. Fuck my life.
>>
File: IMG_09001.jpg (85 KB, 1893x1063) Image search: [Google]
IMG_09001.jpg
85 KB, 1893x1063
>>7921649
When it was finally over
>>
>>7925451
my mom went to college to become a teacher and she also worked at a jury and she took me to both places and i would sit at an empty classroom or an empty office whilst she studied or worked and i would read harry potter and those where the comfiest of times in my childhood
>>
>>7921660
Take your positive eugenics program elsewhere you fucking nazi
>>
>>7927271
>It took 30 something posts before anyone posted this
>>
>>7929383
>I could never understand why they would be bored in history class; they were literally being taught by a ghost about magical events, but they would just fuck about in it.
It's still history and it still requires memorizing dates and events, most of which are uninteresting. Just because it involves cryptid and magic doesn't make it engaging, especially when Binns is so boring he literally became a ghost out of boredom and wizard-raised students are used to magic, so there's no novelty whatsoever in learning history just because it has magical stuff. It's just like how a sizeable amount of students hate real world history.

I bet the same would apply to stuff like arithmency or divination. It seems cool to us, but studying it is probably boring and annoying.
>>
>>7921649
Half Blood Prince opening chapter was damn nice and I was hyped as fuck to read it after knowing that Dumbledore will die in this book.

The reveal that it was Quirrell in Philo ... Sorcerer's Stone. I still haven't experienced a similar moment not matter what I read. It's nice being a kid.

None. They are way too one dimensional and live in a one dimensional world, it's hard taking them serious. The book lives on Rowling's writing and escapism, not the characters.
>>
>>7925894
>harry Potter is a fine children's book series. Not the greatest child-friendly literature, but infinitely better than, say, videogames

So, what's your point? Do you think he will ban his children—or was banned himself—from reading “Harry Potter” but instead will let them play “Battlefield 3” all the time? If he has any expectation, he will ban both and make them read quality material.
>>
>>7930705
redditors man
>>
Greatest escapism, on par with Lord of the Rings and Dune.
>>
>>7931819

>The book lives on Rowling's writing and escapism, not the characters.

Agreed. Every fan I know just wants to go to Hogwarts because it's comfy as fuck. It really would be a dream to explore a magic castle and get free feasts every single day.
>>
>>7921649
>fondest memory
Rereading the first book (which I was able to quote entire passages from) when the second one came out.

>scene you enjoyed the most
Any scene in the Gryffindor room. Would be comfy as fuck hanging out there with a couple of pals.

>favorite characters
Meh. Probably Cho Chang because there was also a hot Asian girl in my class at the time.
>>
>>7927528
>that i'm probably dumber than you. doesn't mean your life has any more relevance than mine
This is what's wrong with the western world. The good news is, it will die, leaving its virtues to upcoming cultures and taking its weaknesses to the grave.
>>
>>7922564
That happened to me though. My mommy loves me :3
>>
A Cadmean Victory > canon tbqh.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11446957/1/A-Cadmean-Victory
>>
>>7932497
Or HPMOR for maximal autism.
>>
>>7932510
I liked HPMOR as it was ongoing, but looking back at it it's pretty cringey.
>>
>>7932513
Weaboo references aside, the ending was much worse than the beginning.
>>
>>7927528
>i'm probably dumber than you

You have no idea
>>
>>7932523
Yes, as time progresses I like HPMOR end less and less.

Ironically it's the opposite with A Cadmean Victory end. I still think it could have been executed better, but I like it more than before.
>>
>>7924077
>Why does /lit/ hate harry potter?

1) It's popular.

2) Fans with stunted development continue talking about Harry Potter well into their early 20's instead of moving onto adult literature, and this annoys autists here.

I had a roommate that was a Potterhead. She was weird... Made me understand the hate
>>
>>7932547
I should read A Cadmean Victory then, thanks.
>>
>>7932579
The start can feel rather slow and around chapter 11 there's one moment where Hatty goes pretty cringey, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. Some moments are just way too good.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.