[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this accurate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
Is this accurate?
>>
1. all but maybe one is super shit
2. none of those came out in what is defined to be the timespan of when the millenial generation was born
>>
>>7917372
They wouldn't be millennial lit if they were written before millennials could read.
>>
>>7917350
Jesus christ, I hope not.
>>
i havent read any of that bullshit
>>
Extremely Loud... is actually alright, albeit a bit too gimmicky

What's a millennial? I've only read the term in clickbait from American "online magazines" that advertise their inconsequential opinions on Twitter
>>
This is propaganda designed to promote the millenial hate meme.
>>
>>7917350
Using that Logic you could say Dianetics the Modern Science of Mental Health defined the Baby boomers
>>
>>7917350
The millenial generation is sixteen years old, so I'd say it fits.
>>
Maybe we should come to terms with the fact that novels do not resonate anymore as a genre of literature.

Maybe we it's time to find another form, or maybe it already exists. I dunno.
>>
>>7917350
That's more NYTimes/NPRcore than anything.

A proper millenial book list begins with Harry Potter
>>
>>7918144
videogames are the new novel

other than that its flash fiction
>>
>>7918108
people born between roundabout 1985 and 1999
>>
>>7917350
Where are Harry Potter, Twilight and similar garbage? Those are way more popular and defining than this stuff that I haven't even heard of. Even The Hunger Games, that are indeed quite popular, are just continuing the trend started by Harry Potter.

Where is the fucking GRRM?
>>
Only the Hunger Games should be on that list, with maybe Twilight, Harry Potter, and 50 Shades, Fault In Our Stars (Unfortunatly), Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Percy Jackson, Game of Thrones, Divergent, and like Freedom
>>
>>7917372
I hope you don't mean Oscar Wao.
>>
The defining novels of the Millennial generation are all written by Gen X-ers
>>
The 'millennial' generation is nothing but the end-product of the 2 or 3 generations before them. I hate when people try to make the 20-year-olds into something defined in-itself, as if they're anything more than passive souls that only do what the world around them allows them to do.
>>
>>7918215
This desu
>>
>>7918142
>t. Doesn't know what a millenial is
>>
>>7918108
It's what they used to call gen y.
>>
>>7918124
RT
>>
>>7918142
do you have any idea what a millennial is
>>
>>7917350
Absolutely awful. Did you get this shit from reddit? Fuck off back there.
>>
Oscar Wao, Extremely Loud, and No One Belongs Here are all pretty decent reads. Not life-changing or anything, but definitely high quality. I hear great things about Calamity Physics, too, but I haven't read it yet.

I wouldn't call any of them "defining," though.
>>
>>7918445
>Foer
>Diaz
>High quality
Nice meme
>>
>>7917350
>listing Amazon rankings like they matter
Whoever made this has no idea how quickly those things fluctuate.
>>
>>7918497

Have you actually read either of those books, or is this just posturing and shitposting? Because they're both relatively innovative books experimenting with narrative and form. Like I said, I wouldn't call them "defining" works but they're definitely solid books by skilled writers.
>>
>>7918505
>Diaz experimenting with narrative and form
It's literally just footnotes and some copy-paste immigrant story about a fat spic. All Foer did was include doodles in what was just another Jew's story about life in NYC. They're both hacks only published because of their ethnicity or, in Foer's case, ethnicity and connections.
>>
>>7918516

No, Diaz includes an intrusive and unreliable narrator through his footnotes. And Foer played with chronology and form in ELAIC. The fact that you can't even include 9/11 in your glib, ill-informed blurb just demonstrates you haven't read it.

Just so you're aware, /lit/ is not the final arbiter of literary quality. One day you'll grow out of trying to impress fat spergs on the Internet.
>>
>>7918537
>No, Diaz includes an intrusive and unreliable narrator through his footnotes
Oh wow an unreliable narrator? That's so revolutionary and fresh.
>And Foer played with chronology
Holy shit this guy is practically the 21st century Milton
>>
>>7918545

I wish I could go through life as cynical and reductive as you.
>>
>>7917350
I was born in '97 and I've never read any of those except The Hunger Games and that was meh.
>>
>>7918516
>¡Spics!
>da JOoooooooos™!
I don't even like those books but you sound like a meme-addled inbred retard who can't form his own opinions.
>>
>>7918237
Actually apparently only half the list is Gen X.
>Junot Diaz
>Marisha Pessl
>Suzanne Collins (why is she even on the list lol)
>Jonathan Safran Foer
>Miranda July
Still pretty bad though.
>>
>>7918599
You sound like a whiny faggot who gets triggered by bad words
>>
>>7918605
What a predictable, meme-filled reply. I wish there was a special ed board so I could direct you to it.
>>
>>7918576
I can't even begin to imagine the hellish life of someone who believes Junot Diaz is a high quality writer
>>
>>7918610
Ah, guess I was right. I know where to direct you to, then

>>>>>reddit
>>
I wonder how deliberate it is that only three white men are in the pic and at least two of them are Jewish.
>>
>>7918618
How original of you.
>>
>>7918615

Life's more fun if you don't hold every book you read up to scrutiny against the fucking canon. If you go through life comparing everything you read to Milton and Shakespeare and Dante and Faulkner and any other number of shelf decorators, you're going to leave this world bitter and disappointed.
>>
>>7918690
I was almost with you until
>shelf decorators
Fucking pleb.
>>
File: skeleton2.jpg (26 KB, 370x229) Image search: [Google]
skeleton2.jpg
26 KB, 370x229
>one of the 10 most defining novels of the millennial generation
>#2,940,980 in Books
>>
>>7918699

Touch a nerve, did I? I've got a hefty number of such books on my shelf. Stuff that I intend to read some day but currently have because it impresses people when I have company over. There's no shame in it, Anon.
>>
>>7918703

It's a shame, too, because it's actually quite good.
>>
>>7918721
The exact opposite of that. If I buy a book, it's going to be read within a year or two tops regardless of how long or hard it is. I never buy anything "to impress people" because no one gives a shit about me or what I'm reading anyway.
>>
>>7918605
>triggered
LEL, TOP KEK as us 4channers say!
>>
>>7918731
It's probably the only good book in the pic
>>
10:04 should be on it, IMO.
>>
>>7918857

I like Miranda July a lot. There's something raw about her work, saccharine and quirky though her characters may be.
>>
I have read 2 of them...Hunger Games was mediocre but not awful YA and only really applies to young millennials (I was born in '87...too old to be the target age for that) and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which was quite bad.

Have also read some Lin (mixed feelings) and Diaz (I have Oscar Wao on my shelf but haven't read it).

I would much rather be repped by Jennifer Egan than any of these people.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.