[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cringey, Overused, and Stupid Words, Phrases, and Syntax
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
File: pepe.png (11 KB, 746x435) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
11 KB, 746x435
>myriad reasons
>haunting performance
>rate of speed
>speaks volumes
>semicolons
>>
>>7915230
Your post is a tour de force
>>
>>7915230
>>semicolons
usually the mark of a pseud, i am guilty

I''ll use dashes all day, though
>>
>and but so
>problematic
>blind loquacious pruriency
>offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan
>>
>>7915234
kek

>>7915238
em dash masterrace —
>>
>plethora
>>
>>7915238
>>7915252

I'm pissed that other people are using the emdash now.
>>
File: isthisreal.jpg (63 KB, 592x492) Image search: [Google]
isthisreal.jpg
63 KB, 592x492
>>7915230
>Oxford comma
>>
File: Jollain_The_Plague_of_Frogs.jpg (1 MB, 1908x1321) Image search: [Google]
Jollain_The_Plague_of_Frogs.jpg
1 MB, 1908x1321
>>7915230
>kek
>f a m
>i m o
>desu
>senpai
>meme
>>
Begs the question
Problematic

'Somewhere, a dog barked in the distance..."
>>
>retards too stupid to know how to properly use semicolons claim they're only for pseuds
>>
File: Gravity's Rambo.jpg (90 KB, 566x800) Image search: [Google]
Gravity's Rambo.jpg
90 KB, 566x800
>>7915230
If you see this while browsing the front page, you have been visited by The Herpes of Conjunctions.

Freedom from this cursed word will come to you, but only if you post "albeit" in this thread to get it out of your system.
>>
albeit
>>
Having said that, at the end of the day not for nothing it literally is what it is.
>>
>>7915238
Am I the only one who actually finds a proper grammatical and stylistic use for the semicolon? Some times I seek to maintain a hasty rhythm; other times I don't. I like the direction that a semicolon gives. It feels unique to me.
>>
>Ever so slighty
I swear my risk for brain cancer doubles everytime I see this abomination of a phrase.
>>
>>7917864
Patricians use the full plethora of punctuation, including the irreplaceable semicolon.
Plebs who have never read anything written before 1960 stick with the staccato style since it is more forgiving of ineptitude.
>>
they rode on
>>
>>7917911
This.
>>
the verb "screw"
to hightail it, meaning to flee
italics to represent thought process, especially if the thought process is brief and adds to a piece of dialogue just before
>>
>>7917281
You didnt see that in this thread
>>
>>7915230
>"ahh" used to indicate a scream (rather than "aah")
>"aah" used to indicate a sigh (rather than "ahh")
>>
>myriad
I have used this word (sorry) in some of my writings. I'm writer.
>>
>>7918161
How retarded do you have to be to actually think that certain words can't be used in writing.
The only people who put words on a blacklist are people who are too dumb to properly use a word in its good place.
>>
>>7918165
/thread
>>
>>7917911
Translation

I'm a cuck
>>
>>7915239
problematic is ok as a noun. but problematic as an adjective
>>
hate the word highfalutin
>>
>frequently hilarious
it never is
>>
>>7918235
how the hell do you use problematic as a noun
>>
>>7918844
If you don't know, then you're the problematic.
>>
>a tour de force
>>
>cringey
>>
>>7918844
It's basically the same word as problem, but has the connotation of methodology. ie. the problematic of utilitarian ethics refers to the intricacies and/or issues in their being carried out.
>>
>>7916995
>no t b h

srnh
>>
>>7918165
/thread
>>
>>7916985
Other people?

People have been using em dashes for years now—you're not the first.
>>
>diametrically opposed
>inextricably linked
>to do so
>unrequited love
>maritime law
>kingdom come
>perfidious constables
>hitherto
>thitherto
>bane of my existence
>crash test dummy
>'president' of the united states
>>
>>7919176
tfw used the first two a few times
>>
>comedic
>comical

You mean funny. You thought it was funny.
>>
>¡Ay!
>>
>>7919203
>what is connotation huurr duuurr
>>
>>7919214

I'm trying to help you, anon...
>>
>>7919203
>in a comical manner
in a funny manner
>his comedic qualities
his funny qualities

Do you see why you are wrong?
>>
>>7919226
Comedic implies intentional humor. Comical implies inadvertent humor.

Would you prefer your work to be comedic, or comical?
>>
>>7919231

"He was imitating the person in a comical manner"

Yeah, you totally don't sound like a cringey pseud at all when you write that...

"Bill was well-liked for his comedic qualities"

You mean Bill was well-liked because he was funny.
>>
>>7915230
Shit I say "a myriad of reasons" all the time. I just like the word. Rolls off the tongue nicely.
>>
>>7919237
>thinking "comical" is a pseudo intellectual word

kek could you be any more pleb?
any other scary 3 syllable words we should avoid?
>>
>>7919237
I think you must have grown up in a pretty low-bow environment to not understand why you would use the words comedic or comical instead of 'funny'. They signify different things. Maybe for you the meaning really is 'because he was funny' but the meaning is different for people raised in the culture that uses these words.
>>
>>7919238
Take a step back, think about your choices - who you are - and try to figure out if you still want to be that person.
>>
>>7919243
>>7919248

I just want you to know that normal people know they're dealing with pseuds when they hear you use those words. That's all.
>>
>>7919292
You realized that you made a mistake and instead of taking the manly way out and graciously admitting that you spoke in error and have learned something, you go full jew and try to voodoo shame us as a parting shot. Go back to plebbit.
>>
>sent shivers up my spine
>my blood ran cold
>>
>>7919176
>to do so
As opposed to what other term?
>unrequited love
As opposed to what other term? It is the simplest way to get the meaning across.
>maritime law
What the fuck? How is this overused or objectionable?
>perfidious constables
Name one piece of published media that contains this phrase
>crash test dummy
>'president' of the united states
Again, what the fuck?
>>
>>7919187
>tfw use the first two in virtually every essay I write
>tfw destined to forever be a garbage writer
>>
>>7919365
>As opposed to what other term? It is the simplest way to get the meaning across.
A person loved one person but the other person did not love them back.

Yea, pretty shit list.

>>7919176
You do realize maritime law is a thing right? It's not just some buzzword some author threw together to sound cool.
>>
>>7917864
That was genuinely great.
>>
>>7918165
Wrong. Some words and constructions make you sound amateurish and pretentious, i.e. utilise instead of use, or prior to instead of before. Also, clichés make writing trite.
>>
>>7919176
>>bane of my existence
>>crash test dummy
Heh.
>>
>>7919365

>As opposed to what other term?
How about 'it'?

>As opposed to what other term? It is the simplest way to get the meaning across.
If you have to use this term then it means you're writing cheesy cliched garbage.

>What the fuck? How is this overused or objectionable?
Clearly you don't know a thing about naval jargon.

>Name one piece of published media that contains this phrase'
Umm, War and Peace, Blood Meridian, A Tale of Two Cities, Dirty Harry...the list goes on

>Again, what the fuck?
They're antiquated and overused terms.

>>7919472
Of course maritime law is a thing, but so are overplayed tropes throughout literature that necessarily require expulsion.
>>
File: y tho.jpg (9 KB, 218x222) Image search: [Google]
y tho.jpg
9 KB, 218x222
>it was x yet y

fuck that.
>>
>>7919615
You're an autist rife with status-anxiety and you probably have no sense of rhythm. If you have a black list of words you're not a good writer period.
>>
>>7919665

He's right, though.
>>
>>7919671
It's autistic to make blanket statements like "utilize is pretentious." It isn't how writing works and it doesn't even make sense. A word cannot be pretentious. You guys are so deeply pseudo-intellectual that you are spooked by words.
>>
>>7917872
>risk for
>>
>whilst
>>
File: TexasMostWanted.jpg (243 KB, 875x1119) Image search: [Google]
TexasMostWanted.jpg
243 KB, 875x1119
>>7919176
I don't get the last one. President should not be capitalized(depending on the context), and US should be.

What are you getting at here?
>>
>>7915230
>implying something
>spell it frankly in the following sentence
>>
>ctrl + f
>"stretch his legs"
>zero mentions

C'mon, family. We can do better than this.
>>
why are "voracious" and "reader" always used together?
>>
File: 1388255897762.jpg (19 KB, 208x210) Image search: [Google]
1388255897762.jpg
19 KB, 208x210
>ctrl+f "sprawling"
>0 results

I expected better, /lit/.
>>
>>7918844
>he hasn't read foucault
>>
being a snob about punctuation is an easy substitute for real stylistic criticism
>>
>>7915252
>>7916985
>>7919163

I started to use double-em dash a couple years back and recently I've seen a bunch of people imitate this. As much as I love being a trend-setter, make up your own bullshit trademarks.
>>
>>7923138
The amount of ego and delusion needed to think you set the 'trend' of using em-dashes is mind-blowing. No one has or wants to imitate you anon. If anything, you're the imitator. (See: Gaddis, Joyce, Auster.)
>>
>>7920608
Because the use of a 'big' word such as voracious as opposed to, say, 'avid,' illustrates the hopefully robust vocabulary that such frequent reading has given you—i.e. the proof is in the pudding.
>>
>>7918844
I haven't read anything by Foucault but you're the problematic.
>>
>>7923138
>I invented something thats been around since before I was alive!
You're delusional, you see this right?
>>
We should make an em dash essential reading list

I submit the works of Laurence Sterne and the letters of Byron for consideration
>>
>>7915252

adverb clauses, which do all that semicolons do, additionally go beyond than that, forever stringing clause upon clause, that sentences might go punctuated and roll on without end, forever meandering
>>
File: 1.jpg (7 KB, 313x285) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
7 KB, 313x285
>perchance
>>
>>7916995
What do you even look like in rl?
R u a qt3.14?
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.