[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ὅδε ἐστὶ φίλος ἡμετέρος. τοῡ λογοι
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
ὅδε ἐστὶ φίλος ἡμετέρος. τοῡ λογοι εἰσἱ σοφοἰ.
>>
Epictetus? moar lyk epic titties lmao amirite?
>>
>>7914283

Ανθρώπος νεπιος εσσι.
>>
>>7914282
Yes, you're very clever. Please go away.
>>
>>7914282

OP is a massive faggot
>>
>>7914309
XD
>>
>>7914308

>yes you're very clever

ου λεγοω τόδε, φίλου έμος.
>>
>>7914309

μανθάνοις σοφός αιψα.

πολλούς φέρω ίνα kαλα μανθάνοιμι.
>>
>>7914282
Is it true that learning latin first will make it easier for me to learn Ancient Greek, or should I just go straight for it?
>>
File: IMG_20160412_155946.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_155946.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>7914356

Its the first language I've ever properly attempted to learn, and its not overly difficult. I recommend starting straight away. Pic related is what I'm learning from, its quite good.
>>
>>7914362
Thank you. I'm going to try Ancient Greek: An Intensive Course
>>
>>7914372

μανθανοις αιψα, kασιγνητος εμός.
>>
>>7914325

λεγω* εμού*
>>
>>7914383
>μανθανοις αιψα, kασιγνητος εμός
I don't know what that means, but hopefully by the end of the year I will!
>>
>>7914362
You don't find the cases, numbers and genders to be difficult? I about had a panic attack when I saw on the wikipedia page how many declensions there were for the definite article.
>>
>>7914390

"May you learn quickly, my brother"
>>
>>7914392
I'll be sure to funpost in ancient greek with you as soon as possible my friend.
>>
>>7914391

Its difficult yes, but not overly difficult. I felt the same, but after learning small bits at a time consistently and practicing regularly it begins to fall into place. I'm still a long, long way from any kind of fluency, but with the material in my textbook beside me I can translate a fair bit.
>>
>>7914383
>>7914325
Why no vocative case anon?
>>
>>7914401

Χαλεπος εστιν.

μη σπευδε πλουτέειν, μη αΐψα πτωχός γίγναι.
>>
I'm looking both for digital and print versions of ancient greek works, what should I get?
>>
>>7914408
Agreed man. How long have you been studying? I'd respond in green but I'm on mobile
>>
>>7914428
*Greek
Damn phone
>>
>>7914422

οδε ου γιγνωσkω.
>>
>>7914422
Go to dcc.dickinson.edu and you will find Lucian's True History. First "science fiction" novel ever written. Fairly easy prose text. You can buy a physical copy too if you'd like.
>>
>>7914428

Since September I've been attending a class twice weekly at my uni. What about you?

You can enable a Greek keyboard on your phone btw, that's how I'm posting. Modern Greek doesn't have all the correct breathings though, as you may have noticed from my posts.
>>
>>7914447
Nice that's good progress man. I've studied for five years, majored in Classical Studies and philosophy in college. The pay off is real, believe me. Reading Homer and Callimachus in Greek is about as good as it gets.

Actually didn't know that about the keyboard, I'll have to check that out.
>>
>>7914446
>ancient greek scifi written by an Assyrian
Neat.
>>
>>7914466

What degree of fluency have you reached in that time? I can only make out a few sentences here and there without referring to my textbook/dictionary, and I'm worried that I won't be able to enjoyably read Homer or anything else any time soon.
>>
>>7914469
Yeah it's kind of wild. Not the first thing that comes to mind when you think Ancient Greek but it's a nice, light hearted work. Kind of refreshing if you read a lot of philosophy and history! It's also not without aesthetic merit: Lucian parodies a lot of Ancient Greek historiography.
>>
>>7914483
It definitely takes a lot of practice. I still have to use a dictionary every now and then. That's just a fact of the language unfortunately. After a year or two, try to break the habit of "searching for the verb" and try to read left to right as the Greeks would have. It will take time for the brain to adjust but it makes reading poetry that much more rewarding. And it will just acquaint you better with the language.
>>
>>7914513

Do you think that composing your own words in Greek is more helpful than translating Greek to English?
>>
>>7914531

Also, can I ask how you would translate 'αίτεούσης'?
>>
>>7914531
>>7914552
Doing English into Greek is significantly harder than Greek into English. It will help your progress immensely. Specifically your vocabulary.

That is the present active participle of αιτεω: ask, beg

Present
Active
Feminine
Genitive
Singular
>>
>>7914680

How does a direct translation of αίτεούσης come out in English though? If you seen it on its own without context would you simply translate it as beg? I still don't have a good grasp of adjective declensions.
>>
>>7914700
Can you send me the senrence? I'll only be able to translate it in context. Out of context it would be something like "of the begging __________" with the blank being a noun
>>
>>7914400
Dubs confirm.

I'm doing some thing similar with Latin, and after about three weeks of consistent 30 minutes or so practice every day I learned all cases for the first 3 declensions in both the singular and plural as well as the general patterns for the present, the present participle, imperfect, perfect, and pluperfect in verbs, not to mention a small stack of vocab. With steady, consistent practice great shit happens
>>
>>7914362
Wait, so if you learn Homeric Greek you won't be able to read Plato?
>>
>>7914733
I am learning Attic Greek, will I not be able to read Homer?
>>
>>7914710
Hey it's this guy>>7914704

I know Latin too and I'll just say about both of these languages that there is no substitute for reading the primary texts. That's a nice morphological base you've got but the grammar rules get complex fast. I would learn the perfect passive participle, the subjunctive mood, some simple clauses using the subjunctive (cum clauses, indirect question, ut clauses) and try to dive into reading. Doing this will help you more than simply route memorization. Plus it will be more enjoyable. After wetting your whistle with translation can you go back and keep working on more grammar. Source: I teach high school Latin.
>>
>>7914744
No you will. Attic Greek is what you should learn to begin with. Homeric will have a couple different morphological and grammatical rules but not enough to impede apprehension. It's mutually intelligible.
>>
File: image.png (321 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.png
321 KB, 1536x2048
Okay, so I just started Greek: An Intensive course today and I'm already pretty stumped. It opens with showing me the Greek alphabet, and identifying which ones are and aren't vowels. It then goes through rough and smooth breathing, along with long and short vowels. It then says I am ready for a pronunciation excercise on page 11. The drill consists of 54 Greek words I have to pronounce. How am I supposed to do that? It's only told me the names of the letters, not the sound they make. For example, how am I supposed to know what sound omega makes when I read it on the page? Pic related is the alphabet guide, will post the excercise in question next.
>>
File: image.png (351 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
351 KB, 2048x1536
>>7914909
The excercise in question
>>
>>7914913
>>7914909
>pronounced like the boldface letter
How the fuck could I have missed this before posting? Disregard that, I'm an idiot.
>>
I wouldn't mind if /lit/ reached a certain level of irony where its posters can only post in Ancient Greek.
>>
>>7914915
What book are you using?
>>
>>7914422
Loeb classical library for print. Dual ancient/english texts.

There's also a similar publisher which offers french translations as well, and is supposed to be even better than loeb, but I can't vouch for them myself, and can't even remember the publisher.
>>
>>7915037
that wouldn't be ironic; that would be amazingly patrician
>>
>>7915039
Greek: An intensive course. PDF can be found on bookzz.
>>7915085
Thank you
>>7915037
>>7915093
Yeah, that would be pretty cool. Not a bad idea for a chan board.
>>
>>7915085
Loeb is a great series for an advanced classicist but it doesn't have any notes. For someone starting out, they will get lost. The Cambrdige Greek Anthology is very good for a newbie.
>>
>>7914282
Είσαι μουνόπανο, πούστη.
>>
Καλα, οποιος θελει ας ηο δοkιμάζει, αλλα γιατι βασανιζετε τον εαυτο σας με αρχαια ελληνιkα
>>
>>7915142
Kappa alpha lambda epsilon, k-a-l-a

omicron pi omicron iota omicron sigma, ough-p-ough-i-ough-s

theta epsilon lambda epsilon iota, th-e-l-e-i

alpha sigma, a-s

nu omicron, n-ough

sigma omicron kappa iota mu alpha zeta epsilon iota, S-ough-k-i-m-a-z-e-i

How am I doing so far?
>>
>>7914282

Μαkάριός ἐστιν ὁ γινώσkων Ἑλληνιkά, ὅτι δυναταὶ ἑαυτὸν φυσιεῖν
>τὸ προσωπόν μου ὅτε Κοινὴ μόνη γινώσkω
>>
>>7915269

ὁ γινώσkων Ἑλληνιkά, γιγνώσkων ou ὅτι δυναταὶ ἑαυτὸν φυσιεῖv, αλλά ὅτι φεροv έργα χαλεπος.

Sorry for the clumsy sentence construction here. I can't understand your second sentence at all I'm afraid, is it koine?
>>
>>7915505

It is Koine; it's supposed to say 'My face when I only know Koine'. To my shame, I put 'Koine alone' in the nominative case, which didn't help its intelligibility at all.
>>
>>7915505
HAHAHAHA no he's saying "MFW I know only Koine"
>>
>>7915269
φυσιεῖν is the infinitive of φυσιάω: to pant. You might be looking for the infinitive form of φήμι
>φάναι
>>
>>7915172
"Kala, opoios thelei as eo dokimazei, alla giati basanizete ton eauto sas me arhaia ellenika" - literally, letter for letter romanized

"Kala, opoios theli as e dokimazi, alla giati basanizete ton arhaia ellinika" - romanized and adapted

This is modern Greek

"Well, whoever wants may/can try it, but why torture yourself with ancient Greek?"

I'm not a native of Grece, I only did four years of mandatory ancient Greek, and that was five years ago, so I picked up on modern Greek, as I really love the country, the cuisine, the history

That "nu omicron" is not "nu", it's an "eta" in ancient Greek and "ita" in modern Greek. A prolonged "e" (ancient), or "i" (modern)
>>
>>7914753
Thanks! Can you recommend any good early pieces to look at? I've dabbled in some Ovid and was thinking of trying a bit of Seneca, translating anything beyond a random sentence or two is still a pretty big chore as you guessed haha
>>
>>7915618
Not him. If it's a big chore with longer texts, I'd suggest Horace, Catullus and perhaps exceprts from Cicero, like his speeches

I'd recommend:
Pro Quinctio
Pro Caecina
In Catilinam (all time classic)
Pro Milone

When you feel confident enough to go onto bigger texts, "De Oratore" from Cicero, "De bellum Iugurthinum" by Salustius (I can't remember this text well, I believe it was an even greater bomb than Caesar's work, as in "harder") and of course, "Commentarii de Bello Gallico" by Caesar (starting from chapters pertaining the Gaulish settlements - geography, their customs - which are really neatly written)

But I studied Latin five years ago...for five years as well. It's getting more foggy each day. Sadly
>>
>>7915130
It's really hit or miss. Typically the more popular texts (in the context of ancient works) will be newer editions with more generous annotations. But you're right in that some are all but totally devoid of notes, and in general there is rarely more than the most barebones introductory critical analysis in any Loebs.

Regardless, I would recommend Loeb because I expect that anyone looking to learn an ancient language will already have some familiarity with the content they're hoping to read in its original form.
>>
>>7915618
Hi it's >>7914753

Start reading prose first before moving on to poetry. Latin poetry has a lot of difficult conventions and will confuse you if you're still working on getting your feet under you. If you're still working on understanding what's being said, trying to navigate the metonymy and metaphor of Latin poetry will get you frustrated.

I actually have to disagree with >>7915643. Cicero's style is hyper-erudite and can be kind of difficult for a beginner to prose. Caesar is actually really easy to get the hang of and his writing is fun to read. Cornelius Nepos would be even better for you. He's a biographer and historian that writes in very simple prose. In fact, his contemporaries kind of shit on him for being overly simplistic but for the student it's perfect.
>>
>>7915643
I've only ever read your recommendations in English, but would expect Sallust to be more difficult than Caesar; the former has more tangents, personal asides, and is far more introspective and philosophical, also (especially if you get into his fragmented histories) much more inclined to rhetoric.
>>
>>7915685
Must be my professor then...She had us translating Cicero in the second semester of the first year
I apologize to the dude for this "discouraging" suggestion then...It's been years
>>
>>7915709
Yeah that sounds like too much too soon. Did you get anything out of reading Cicero at the point? How much hand holding did you receive from your professor?

What else have you read in Latin? Don't mean to hijack a Greek thread but I will because I'm curious
>>
>>7915733
Relying on my rusty memory, all of the recomendations above, with lots of Horace and Catullus. Ovid's Metamorphoses, Ars amatoria and Epistulae ex Ponto. Plautus' Amphytrion. Livius... can't remember much more, sorry...

And we had minimal assistance. This was a classical gymnasium...years of Greek and Latin. It was expected of us. Also the best one in the country. I'm ashamed at the moment, exactly because of that fact and my current knowledge/recollection. My professors would've crucified me now
>>
>>7915130
Don't necessarily knock Loeb even for a beginner. I stayed with learner texts for too long and lost motivation because of it, but when I just picked up a Loeb (provided it wasn't of something unusually or notoriously complex) I had a great time trying to sight read and messily translate. Felt like field exercises instead of simulation. Harder, less successful altogether, but made me feel like I got to take the training wheels off for a little while every day.

If you know your Greek half-decently, you also owe it to yourself to read any philosophy in side-by-side translation, so you can see where the translator wiggled things. Especially helpful when getting your hands around all those hapax legomena and otherwise ambiguous words in Aristotle etc.
>>
>>7914362
fucking hell i can buy a whole box of memes for that price
>>
>>7915797
That's a good chunk of reading. I've never read Plautus or Livy in Latin but I hear Livy can be tricky. I'm a huge fan of the Vergil, both Eclogues and Aeneid. Vergilian simile just gets my rocks off. Ovid and Lucretius tied for second though.

>classical gymnasium
Are you German perchance? I've always been curious about Latin/Greek instruction in other countries. American over here
>>
>>7914389

rekt
>>
>>7915975

That was a self correction
>>
ནད་ནི་ཤེས་བྱ་ནད་ཀྱི་རྒྱུ་ནི་སྤང་བྱ་ལ། །
བདེ་གནས་ཐོབ་བྱ་སྨན་ནི་བསྟེན་པར་བྱ་བ་ལྟར། །
སྡུག་བསྔལ་རྒྱུ་དང་དེ་འགོག་པ་དང་དེ་བཞིན་ལམ། །
ཤེས་བྱ་སྤང་བྱ་རིག་པར་བྱ་ཞིང་བསྟེན་པར་བྱ། །
>>
File: 1453216607001.png (59 KB, 174x200) Image search: [Google]
1453216607001.png
59 KB, 174x200
>>7916073

Illness must be understood, its causes eliminated

Wellbeing must be attained, and medicine taken

Likewise, suffering, its causes, their cessation and the path

Must in turn be understood, eliminated, realized and relied upon
>>
File: Doctor Teeth.jpg (22 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Doctor Teeth.jpg
22 KB, 512x384
>>7916121
This is the translation?
So it's a note from the doctor
>>
>>7915588

Thanks, no I was using φυσιάω intentionally here >>7915269, but with the meaning 'to puff up' (cf. e.g., 1 Cor 8:1 'Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up' [i.e., I was taking the piss out of us amateur Hellenists just a little]).
>>
well i'll be
>>
>>7915858
Any tips for the order of learning stuff in Latin?

Right now I'm just trying to read actual works, I translate and decline all words until I hit some unknown grammar, look it up in the Greenough grammar book, and usually after one or two grammar points that's my daily practice.
>>
>>7915858
An "out of future" reply to your post, since I hit the sack last night.

No, I'm from Croatia
>>
>>7914466

I graduated with distinction with a BA in Classics and could literally read more fluently than some of my professors and I make like 13 dollars an hour now.
>>
Wanna start a learning Greek 'reading group'?
>>
>>7921644
That might be worth exploring.
>>
>>7921644
i'll bring the olive oil lads
>>
>>7915037
>>7915098
What's the greek for 'juicy meme'?
>>
>>7923587
>>7921644
>>7921938
I'll bring the boys! For reading! Of course!
>>
>>7915037
>>7915093
Fuck that would be great.
>>
>>7921644
greek learning guide when?
>>
>>7923667
When is when?
Also what books and reading materials
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.