[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a fucking joke? No, seriously, is this for real? You
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: topmemebooks.jpg (1 MB, 1819x4347) Image search: [Google]
topmemebooks.jpg
1 MB, 1819x4347
Is this a fucking joke? No, seriously, is this for real?
You fucking morons have Infinite Jest as your number one book.
You have two Vonnegut books, a Murakami book, and Lord of the Rings.
You don't have Goethe's Faust, one of the greatest pieces of literature in the western canon, yet you have The Recognitions aka the long winded Faust. It's not even Gaddis' second best work.
What is wrong with you people? Do you even read?
>>
>>7913138
you're so fuckin cool dude
>>
>>7913138
Then organize a new survey fucktard
>>
>>7913167
I thought I was on /b/ for a second after seeing this comment
>>7913174
I'm going to
>>
>>7913193
What makes you think a new survey would produce any different results?

It's like you honestly don't know how popularity contests works. That's like, really cute. Really just don't see that level of naivety on the internet that much anymore. Stay golden, pony boy.
>>
>>7913251
Holy shit you are so mad you make me pout. Calm down idiot
>>
File: 1460260988311s.jpg (2 KB, 125x95) Image search: [Google]
1460260988311s.jpg
2 KB, 125x95
>>7913138
>Do you even read?
No
>>
short bus for you it is
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 180x180
>>7913138
You know I'm gonna pick up infinite jest and I bet it's going to fucking suck. And then I'll realize the whole reason you people keep this shit up is a straight troll.
>>
>>7913289
Infinite Jest is actually pretty good. I don't think anyone here considers it great literature, it's just reasonably well liked by most people here.

If you want to see the heart of /lit/ try Ulysses and Moby Dick. Infinite Jest is just some mopey gen-x core.
>>
File: 1457630382746.png (71 KB, 353x332) Image search: [Google]
1457630382746.png
71 KB, 353x332
>>7913138
What's wrong with Murakami books?
>>
>>7913289
Fuck off back to /mu/
>>
You're not wrong but you're also an autistic faggot >>7913327
What's not wrong with Murakami is the better question >>7913326
Lpl you poor naive soul. The amount of ppl who've read less than 100 books and legitimately think ij is an all time masterpiece is absurdly high.

Daily reminder.more.people here have read ij than Ulysses. And there's something terribly sad and banal about that
>>
>>7913586
why are you so concerned what strangers on the internet read?
>>
>>7913586
Joyce is a total nonentity compared to the Greeks.
>>
>>7913601
The Greeks aren't in the meme trilogy. Check mate.
>>
>>7913138
Is you getting BTFO a joke? If so, you must find my post pretty hilarious ;^)
>>
File: 1459110215614.jpg (3 MB, 1820x4348) Image search: [Google]
1459110215614.jpg
3 MB, 1820x4348
>>7913138
you forgot the authors chart my dude
it's pretty good :]
>>
>>7913601
That's not even true actually
>>
>>7913326
There was an earlier poll with much less ballot stuffing compared to teh OP pic and Moby-Dick got no. 1, followed by the Bible, with Ulysses and Infinite Jest tied for third place.
>>
>>7913990
You're mistaken. The one you're referring to was the ballot stuffed poll, and Moby Dick wasn't 1. The one in the OP used account identification, so there wasn't anywhere near as much Infinite Jest & Bible stuffing as in all the previous polls.
>>
>>7913997
I'm talking about this poll, which also used Google accounts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1373EVoFPffWUVOdDyUHzz4qJD5AE_NB5dsZoGiKNPyI/edit#gid=1913186867

Here are the results (only including things with two or more votes):

Moby-Dick - 11
The Bible - 10
Infinite Jest - 8
Ulysses - 8
The Brothers Karamazov - 7
Blood Meridian - 7
The Great Gatsby - 6
Lolita - 6
Catch-22 - 6
Gravity's Rainbow - 5
The Divine Comedy - 5
Mason & Dixon - 4
The Stranger - 4
Ficciones/Labyrinths - 4
The Iliad - 4
East of Eden - 3
If on a winter's night a traveler - 3
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - 3
Don Quixote - 3
The Odyssey - 3
One Hundred Years of Solitude - 3
The Old Man and the Sea - 3
Crime and Punishment - 3
A Clockwork Orange - 3
Cat's Cradle - 2
The Sound and the Fury - 2
In Search of Lost Time - 2
Meditations (Marcus Aurelius) - 2
Tristram Shandy - 2
The Koran - 2
American Gods - 2
Pale Fire - 2
Underworld - 2
Candide - 2
Nineteen Eighty-Four - 2
2001: A Space Odyssey - 2
Journey to the End of the Night - 2
Midnight's Children - 2
Hamlet - 2
Book of the New Sun - 2
2666 - 2
The Sun Also Rises - 2
Siddhartha - 2
King Lear - 2
The Master and Margarita - 2
Paradise Lost - 2
Storm of Steel - 2
The Magic Mountain - 2
Stoner - 2
Heart of Darkness - 2
A Farewell to Arms - 2
Anna Karenina - 2
Dune - 2

This one is much less likely to be ballot stuffed because the votes for the highest books are evenly spread out rather than backloaded like in the poll for the OP pic (which is evidence for people making extra accounts just to vote for books they like that weren't doing as well as they wanted, IJ in particular)
>>
i voted on this and i haven't read any of them
>>
>>7914013
That was pretty much recast the next day after the aforementioned stuffed poll, nobody cared about it other than you and the links all ended up deleted. Try again.
>>
>>7914028
What links were deleted? Try again at what? The poll I posted has little evidence of ballot stuffing compared to the one in the OP, so it's more indicative of the opinion of the average /lit/ user roughly a year ago.
>>
>>7913138
1.) /lit/ is a small board and this was taken before the reddit invasion, it'd be much worse now most likely, I'd bet there'd be a John Green book on there.

2.) /lit/'s best read people don't browse every day and were likely to have missed out on the survey threads.

3.) A ton of /lit/izens talk about how they don't even read anymore, but lurk here all the time, thus the votes they cast are either for memes or high school-tier stuff.

Also this isn't /lit/ saying that these are the best 100 books of all time, I'd bet that maybe only 100 or so /lit/ posters have even read over half of these. This is also 4chan where a ton of teenage/edgelords come over who love Murakami, Vonnegut and genre fiction, which there's nothing wrong with, but that is why this chart seems overwhelmingly subpar.

Also before someone goes and refutes all my points with obvious fallacies, I'm aware I spoke of them, but these seem to be generalities that I think make sense in regards to this poll, how it was cast and the results. So in the end, just relax, these are just books that 100 something people like on an anonymous forum. /lit/ is home to a lot of awful conversation but you find a lot of gems here and there.
>>
>>7914643
So what according to you are the gems from OP's pic?
>>
>>7914686
like 75% of the books in the image are top notch dude. theyre not just /lit/ memes they're just good books people who like reading literature enjoy. take out the meme philosophy lik evola and stirner and infinite jest/memeakami/yecarthy and you have a good list. it's not all inclusive but they're mostly good books.
>>
>>7913138
>Do you even read?

This is lit. No one here reads.
>>
The fuck is wrong with you OP, are you 12? People have different tastes in literature, get over it, you snobbish fuck.
>>
>>7913586
>Daily reminder.more.people here have read ij than Ulysses. And there's something terribly sad and banal about that
You are twice as pretentious as the rest of the people on this site and that's not something to be proud of.
What a douche.
>>
>>7914693
found the newfag
>>
>>7914686

I wasn't >>7914689

I also wasn't saying that the list itself contains the gems of /lit/ but those gems are more of the conversation you might get between people who are more interested in literature than memes.

Of the list though I agree with >>7914689
its not a bad list by any means, better than the Time's 100 and if you ever met anyone who had read all of them or even half of them, they'd be considered to be well-read. I wouldn't say any book on the Top 100 is really actually bad but at least 25% of them are entry-level or memes (they're memes because they're pretty good, like Infinite Jest, it should be on the list bc so much of /lit/ reads it, but even adamant IJ fans won't say it's the greatest thing ever written, it appeals to a lot of /lit/'s interests in a medley of ways and continues to be entertaining because of length/density, subject and style as most books on here are.) I would say a lot of that lower quadrant isn't bad but entry-level, which is a lot of what /lit/ is for, people who might not be pursuing higher education and trying to gain the fundamentals, like any other discipline, books like Catcher in the Rye, Vonnegut, White Noise, Tolkien, etc. People come here a lot of the time to have some sort of non-book clubby non-pretentious friendgroup discussion about books they like, try to gain some perspective outside of reading criticism, interact with people and get new ideas for places to go/books to read after.

Point is, getting upset over this list is ridiculous. /lit/ is never going to be a place where everyone is an expert, there's always going to be beginners->somewhat well-read people who are willing to give their two cents sometimes -> experts who might not post all the time, browse every now and again and give fairly thought-provoking ideas.
>>
>>7913780
>Neil Gay Man but no Goethe
Holy shit this can't be real
>>
File: Something Smells.jpg (21 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Something Smells.jpg
21 KB, 500x281
This thread should tell us all a little something about how far we've taken this Patrician meme... It's pathetic quite honestly
>>
I miss lit circa 2012
>>
>>7914883
when it was identical to r/books? you can go to reddit right now and get a mostly equivalent experience
>>
>>7914885
It was way less Reddit then
>>
>>7914643
>2.) /lit/'s best read people don't browse every day and were likely to have missed out on the survey threads.
That one went for between one and two full weeks, so no.
It's just averaging by the numbers plus length bias, and with something like 10% of voters having read it, IJ is literally /lit/'s lowest common denominator.
>>
>>7914883
/lit/ was a great board until J. D. Salinger died.
>>
Yes, we need an actual good list, please help patrician OP
>>
>>7913780
>Neil Gaiman

Holy fucking shit. I'm hoping those two voters were just having a giggle.
>>
>>7915677
What's so wrong with Neil Gaiman, he has some good stuff and it's acknowledged by legit writers... I guess some anon of the literature subreddit knows better. He is also one of the most chill people.
>>
>>7913138
Keep in mind that many of the books on there only had a handful of votes if at all. I am sure some of the 2- and 3-vote books were brought there by one single samefag.

Also, we've had plenty of top 100s before, and some of them had Faust.
>>
>>7915745
>he has some good stuff

Name ONE.
>>
>>7915749
>I am sure some of the 2- and 3-vote books were brought there by one single samefag.
Must've been many more 2-votes and they got tiebroken at some point so a samefag wouldn't have sufficed on those. I don't see anything suspicious at the bottom either, nothing unexpected
>>
>>7915798
Stop trying so hard. If I name something you'll just say it's shit for one reason or another. No one can have civil, reasonable discussion with people like you. But come on, man... at least his short stories?
>>
>>7915866
I liked Other People. You have a good short story right there.
>>
>>7913138
nah
>>
>>7913138
just imagine the whole list with one more vote for each of the 3 things you would have voted for. wow...it's amazing now
>>
To be fair, anything outside the top 20 is statistical noise.
>>
File: 1444109654555.gif (875 KB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
1444109654555.gif
875 KB, 250x231
>>7913780

All the good authors are smiling in this list.
>>
>>7913138
It's literally just a survey of the popular board meme authors in the current moment. Get a hold of yourself.
>>7913193
Not until the late fall you fucker
>>
>>7913597
lmao "people can't have different opinions than me REEEE"
>>
>>7913276
I really don't think you're in a position where you can criticize others for being mad
>>
>>7913193
That survey was taken in October, wait until next October so it can be a year. Fucking newfag.
>>
>>7914699
By thinking a new survey of favorite books less than one year after the initial survey will turn up a new number one shows that you're the newfag. Fuck off.
>>
File: 1460118050387.png (4 KB, 237x203) Image search: [Google]
1460118050387.png
4 KB, 237x203
If I could have only two mod actions i'd ban OP twice that's how shitty this thread is
>>7916720
well meme'd anon
>>
>>7913138
I'm pretty sure IJ was made #1 as a joke, Anon
>>
>>7913138
This is based on a survey as you can probably tell. You can see commonly recommended or memed books on top. Because many people come here and start reading with these.
>>
>>7915866
>>7915904
Nope.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.