[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ Science Fiction and Fantasy and Sci Fi and SFF General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: 1460235325145.jpg (367 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
1460235325145.jpg
367 KB, 600x840
>>7899340
American version of anime edition.

Recommendation Charts:
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg (embed)
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg (embed)
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg (embed)
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg (embed)
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg (embed) / http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg (embed)

>What is your favorite action scene in genre fiction?
>Is the worst of SFF as bad as light novels?
>Best SFF waifu again
>>
>Anything being worse than too cool for school plain anime protagonist that goes to the academy of magic in a world where everyone knows instant transmission and fights with over sized melee weapons despite the universe having guns readily available
>>
>>7912440
>He accidentally gropes or sees the naked body of a princess of the first day and must duel her
I dunno, it's becoming its own genre. We don't watch to see what happens, we watch to see how this bland black-haired Japanese guy makes friends with this tsundere blonde princess.
>>
>>7912440
>Gor
>>
>>7912440
Chinese kids read xianxia, epic fantasies of hundreds of chapters of antisocial loners getting super-kung fu from secret herbs and having sex with all the girls for no reason.
>>
Anyone planning on reading Sharp Ends?
>>
Does anyone have recommendations for a novel that fits my insanely picky taste and vague reading history? I'll be sure to insult your suggestion.
>>
>>7912489
Read some pleb shit like Pynchon
>>
Is there a space opera equivalent of Conan? Basically a series of short pulp stories about a single dude going around space and fucking shit up is what I want.
>>
File: The_Pride_of_Chanur.jpg (39 KB, 318x469) Image search: [Google]
The_Pride_of_Chanur.jpg
39 KB, 318x469
>>7912489
The Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh :3
>>
>>7912500
I'm actually planning on writing one.
John Carter.
>>
>>7912516
Isn't John Carter limited to Mars?
>>
>>7912521
He goes to the moons and the hollow insides of the planet too.
>>
File: Ponos_Chanura.jpg (55 KB, 492x690) Image search: [Google]
Ponos_Chanura.jpg
55 KB, 492x690
>>7912513
The covers for translations of this book are hilarious.
>>
Is there anything in anime worth bringing over to science fiction?
>>
>>7912747
All-female casts and SoL.
And the willingness to bash ideas into the ground to get to the bottom of them. You wouldn't believe how many different times different Japs have done trapped-in-an-MMO, and they end up looking at the idea from all different directions, exploring why we like video games so much, why we get so absorbed in them, why we start thinking of them as more real than real life. They've got a ton of social problems, and those lead to new solutions - like imageboards, for example. But their prose invariably sucks. Nature of the language probably.
>>
>>7912765
Really? I figured it was all panty shots and hot springs episodes.
>>
>>7912424
I vividly remember the last 20 or so pages of Foundation and Empire. What a brilliant ending. This stood out to me as the highest point in what was already a series of classics (in the arena of SF).
>>
>>7912774
Both sorely lacking in Western SFF. Take The Fifth Season, for example. Depressing story, men are animals that beat their children and don't like diversity, we go to earthquake Hogwarts with this diverse cast that somehow all speak like N.K. Jemisin, and there's a bad end and a lot of people die. Depressing, a little boring. No way to bring up the atmosphere. What if she gave us a break halfway through and had a hot springs chapter? Just fun, a little girl-on-girl breast fondling, maybe some clever gender-inverted quest to peep over the dividing wall. Then the audience collectively chugs a bottle of milk and goes back to the nitty-gritty.

See how it's done? And you can put it in without guilt because it wasn't invented by a white male.
>>
File: kontail.webm (164 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
kontail.webm
164 KB, 854x480
>>7912747
Fluffy tails.
>>
Is your body ready for The Great Ordeal? It's less than three months away.

What are your expectations?
Will Anasûrimbor fucking shits ever be removed?
Will Sorweel uncuck himself?
>>
>>7912953
>What are your expectations?
Achamian busting his back and another nut
Esme going full JUST
Kelmomoas being a fucking LAD
>Will Anasûrimbor fucking shits ever be removed?
Never
>Will Sorweel uncuck himself?
Ever
>>
>>7912782
There was totally that time that two middleaged guys rubbed each others dicks together

and that time she saw the tranny's dick

I liked the fifth season
>>
File: Snowcrash.jpg (34 KB, 205x350) Image search: [Google]
Snowcrash.jpg
34 KB, 205x350
I finally got around to reading this. I rather enjoyed it.
>>
>>7899457

Are you still around? Would really love to read that short story collection
>>
I enjoyed a book by Tom Holt under his pseudonym 'KJ Parker', called 'The Hammer'. I was wondering if there are other fantasy books in that nature?

ie Less about some mythical world-building and lore, and more about the characters or the plot line
>>
File: FalseSun.jpg (234 KB, 1440x792) Image search: [Google]
FalseSun.jpg
234 KB, 1440x792
>>7912953
>Is your body ready for The Great Ordeal?
Body will never be ready. Bakker himself said that it's the climax.

>What are your expectations?
Cnaiur returns and rapes every named male character.

>Will Anasûrimbor fucking shits ever be removed?
They will end up removing themselves because they're all so fucking crazy.

>Will Sorweel uncuck himself?
You can't uncuck yourself. You can only go deeper into the cuck hole.

Oh by the way, the first chapter of The Great Ordeal is available online:
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=q1jr5oc0rursien6o23u56oua3&topic=797.0

As well as a short story about the Consult:
https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/stories/the-false-sun/
>>
>>7913257
I read Snow Crash when I was younger and really loved it. I'd like to read more books like it, specifically sci-fi books with campy over-the-top futuristic adventures and lots of cheesy humour. Anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>7913871
Try all of KJ Parker's other books.
>>
>>7913924
>specifically sci-fi books with campy over-the-top futuristic adventures and lots of cheesy humour
>>
>>7914291
Er..... :3
>>
>>7913907
Kayutas is like the least crazy of all the Anasurimbors

But he'll probably die first because of it, he's too competent
>>
Anyone read Lems Memoirs Found in a Bathtub? Did anyone else consider it as (deliberately, I'm sure) painful to read through as I did?
>>
>>7914320
All Anasûrimbors must be removed

Dunyain genocide best day of my life
>>
>>7914465
Plot twist: Kellhus killed the Dunyain shortly after he became emperor.
>>
>>7912765
>SoL
The sun?
>>
>>7914499
>he doesn't know about the patrician genre
>>
>>7914465
Akka go back to sleep
>>
Why is science fiction and fantasy so sexist?
http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2015/08/i-read-100-best-fantasy-and-sci-fi-novels-and-they-were-shockingly-offensive
>There were also books that were outright misogynistic, like a A Spell for Chameleon where characters openly talk about not trusting women: “'Women are the curse of mankind,' Crombie said vehemently. 'They trap men into marriage, the way this tangle tree traps prey, and they torment them the rest of their lives.'”
>After reading quite a few books in a row where rape or attempted rape was used solely to add an element of danger, the only conclusion you could have was that it was bad and lazy writing.
>It was the repeated emphasis of the relative powerlessness of women, their status of objects or things to be won, that almost makes me want to write off the whole genre as a lost cause.
>>
>>7914644
>After reading quite a few books in a row where rape or attempted rape was used solely to add an element of danger
>Implying there needs to be any other reason
>>
>>7914676
Without trying to make excuses for the pathetic original article it is a hallmark of genre garbage if you just introduce arbitrary dangers to fight off.
>>
>>7914644
Because Gene Wolfe
Man he likes his strange connection between water, women and rape. There's the baptism somewhere in there just like the Eucharist is in eating of human flesh.
>>7912424
>What is your favorite action scene in genre fiction
I honestly don't remember that at all or even care. I guess Severian and Alzabo? But that wasn't really about the action.
Yes
>Best SFF waifu again
Dorcas
>>
>>7914754
Agia or Valeria t b h
>>
>>7914644

This makes it sound like scifi and fantasy are more realistic than any other genres
>>
>>7914768
Dorcas looks like she's 15, I have a fetish for girls who look young and innocent.
>>
>>7912424
>What is your favorite action scene in genre fiction?
Ninefingers fighting The Feared in the circle
Probably
>Best SFF waifu again
Diziet Sma
>>
>>7914794
>Ninefingers fighting The Feared in the circle
As much as I hate that faggot and generally dislike First Law, that was a good scene
>>
>>7912424
t. guy who has never read a LN
>>
>>7912747
Lighthearted, drama free plots. Say a novel about cute terraformers doing cute things, nobody gets jealous and stabs anyone, there is no oppressive government breathing down their necks, just iyashikei about slowly turning a dead rock green.
>>
File: flash gordon.jpg (468 KB, 1569x897) Image search: [Google]
flash gordon.jpg
468 KB, 1569x897
>>7912500
Sort of.
>>
>>7912747
Why are we pretending the average sci-fi isnt on the same tier as anime?
>>
>>7914957
sounds pretty nice desu
>>
File: mb01_city_map-webres.jpg (489 KB, 1568x1200) Image search: [Google]
mb01_city_map-webres.jpg
489 KB, 1568x1200
>when Pritcher and Channis finally get to Second Foundation-occupied space
>mfw I'm a psychologist
Man this is going to blow me away, isn't it? I'm really loving this thus far.
>>
>>7914968
because >>7912440
>>
>>7914982
Am I really supposed to take that pathetic strawman seriously?
>>
>>7914996
>Am I supposed to take posts on 4chan seriously?

Yes.
>>
>>7912424
That question doesn't even make sense when there are plenty of SFF LNs. Not that someone who can't read japanese would even be able to judge this.
>>
Discuss

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/wordfire-press-science-fiction
>>
>>7915004
But they're more /jp/ than /lit/. Technically you are correct though.
>>
>>7915016
>Literally who
>>
>>7915016
It was at that moment when they realized torrents exist
>>
>>7915029
They give you the option to get their stuff through torrents. Charities don't operate under the same economic assumptions.
>>
What are your favorite SFF novels to come out of the 21st century so far?
>>
>>7915059
Anathem, for one. It was absolutely delightful. Then Blindsight for the complete opposite.
>>
>>7915049
Whenever I buy humble bundle I specifically don't give money to charity, it feels morality wrong pretending to be a good person while giving money to jews who use it to force their globalist agenda on the world.
>>
>>7915059
Only one which I'm reading now was any good, The Golden Age. It actually has themes and isn't retarded.
>>
Is it 'better' to read the Foundation prequel before the trilogy, or is it self-contained?
>>
>>7915111
I also do this. My penny is getting split between the game designers.
>>
>>7915128
It's self-contained. Seldon in the trilogy isn't a character as much as a force of nature.
>>
>>7914785
Only if by realistic you mean unacceptable.
>>
>>7915016
I'm not sure about this bundle.

I bought pump six and other stories a while ago and one of the story collections involved a kid rambling about an AI in his pocket.

It was so non-engaging that I fell asleep with my laptop on my face.
>>
>>7915366

Nah by realistic I mean as close to reality as possible
>>
Anyone else had trouble immersing themselves at times? I'm 35~ pages into Dying Earth and while it is kind of cool I guess I'm not really excited about it or in "really want to keep reading" mode. And not just it, but other stuff lately too.
>>
File: Children this is bait.jpg (19 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
Children this is bait.jpg
19 KB, 255x255
>>7914644
>>
>>7912424
nah
>>
>>7915059
The Way of Kings for fantasy and Ancillary Justice for science fiction.
>>
>>7912424
>>What is your favorite action scene in genre fiction?
The Maze scene in City at the End was pretty cool. As confusing as it was presented, I could enjoy the travelogue of a hellverse.
>>Is the worst of SFF as bad as light novels?
Yes. And no.

There's confusing shit in Light Novels like a client actually being the monster but actually they have no gender and shit like melodramatic tea battles through space or girls with chronic solipsism.

Why did I watch Tytania?
>>Best SFF waifu again
Haven't found one.
>>
Before anyone posts it, Wheel of Time is irredeemible garbage.
>>
>>7915705
I know.
>>
>>7912424

Why isn't Brandon Sanderson novels in the lists?
>>
>>7915737
Because he shit
>>
>>7915737
He is though. Open your eyes.
>>
Is the fantasy flow chart a joke? Or does /lit/ seriously think those are good recs for somebody new to fantasy? The reason I'm confused is cause there's like 2 or 3 actual entry level books mixed in with the other shit only a hipster would recommend.
>>
>>7915744

Just because my novels don't cater to your very specific interests does not make them shit.
>>
>>7915753

His novels, rather.
>>
>>7915753
I know. They are shit because of many other things such as trash prose, pedestrian characterisation, autistic focus on trivial mechanisms and so on.
>>
>>7915747
I thought that one was made by Reddit. Dunno why it's linked there.
>>
>>7915747
The majority of it is entry level stuff, what are you talking about?
>>
>>7915769
If you think that then you are a certified hipster.
>>
>>7915777
>LeGuin
>Gaiman
>Prachett
>Dune
>Red Rising
>Mistborn
>Sabriel
And you're a certified braindead retard, congrats.
>>
>>7915747
Any list that has Sanderson for sword and sorcery and not Moorcock or Leiber is a joke.
>>
>>7915786
I'm 90% sure I"m being trolled right now.
>>
>>7915794
Funny, I'm 100% sure you're handicapped.
>>
>>7915766
On closer inspect you're actually right, a redditor signed his name in the lower lefthand corner. But given posts like >>7915786 >>7915802 I think /lit/ is pretty infested with this type of redditor.
>>
>>7915805
>>7915777
Are you pretending to have brain problems or do you not know what the words "hipster" and "entry level" mean?

Seriously, hang yourself.
>>
>>7915821
Entry level means books accessible to people who've never read fantasy before, stuff that's easy to get into and well known. Hardly anything in the flowchart qualifies.
>>
>>7915652
nice bait
>>
>>7915828
There's multiple EXTREMELY popular authors on it with as entry level as possible books. You haven't read any of them, why do you make garbage posts?
>>
I have a hard time picturing the battles in Deadhouse Gates.
Coltaine's later battles are a bit chaotic.

I don't really know if this is the kind of fantasy for me or if it's because I barely read + only read before bedtime.
>>
>>7915836
>There's multiple EXTREMELY popular authors on it
There's only two authors on it that even come close to approaching mainstream exposure, that's how hipster-ish it is. The fact you're defending this shows how far up your own ass your head is.
>>
File: 1438367160952.jpg (50 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1438367160952.jpg
50 KB, 625x626
>>7915862
You got me to respond a couple of times 4/10.
>>
>>7915862
How about instead of talking bollocks you offer up what you consider 'entry level' fantasy.
>>
>>7915862
Well breaking news guys, books with 50.000+ votes on goodreads are obscure as fuck according to this genius.
>>
>>7915059
malazan shit
richard morgan anything
>>
>>7915867
Yeah bro, Erikson, Pierce, Mirlees, Jemisin, Wynn Jones, Wecker, Flewelling, Mieville are all household names. Their works stand as the best way to introduce anyone to fantasy, obviously, because I'm a huge hipster.
>>
>>7915828
You don't need to read fantasy before to read it. You could jump straight into Wolfe and it would be a great starting point because it would show you how great it can be. Same for Peake or Dunsay or Tolkien. It isn't philosophy where you absolutely must start with Plato.
>>
File: 1447524962344.png (149 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1447524962344.png
149 KB, 625x626
>>7915885
(You) seem to be hungry for replies eh?
>>
>>7915885
When you go to fantasy section in a bookshop you see a few of those on bestseller shelf. You can't miss them. They are garbage, but extremely popular garbage.
>>
>>7915860
For me Deadhouse Gates was the hardest of the series to get through.
>>
>>7915870
Based on my experiences of getting people into fantasy:
>GRRM (80% success)
>Rothfus (very binary, new readers are either sucked in or hate him)
>Mark Lawrence (100% success, every recommendation I've made of his books has resulted in people reading them and moving on to other fantasy)
>Tad Williams (limited success)

These are pretty much the only authors I've managed to get non-fantasy readers into fantasy with. I've also tried Feist, Tolkien, Jordan, Miller, Canavan, Lewis, Erikson, Cook, Terry Brooks, and Sanderson to no effect. I did get my brother to read Neil Gaiman but he likes comics so it wasn't much of a stretch to get him into fantasy.
>>
>>7915909
You're the single dumbest person I have seen in years. Like, I have no words for this stupidity. Literally sub 50 IQ kind of retarded.
>>
>>7915919
Sick argument bro. You've convinced me I'm wrong with your hot opinion.
>>
>>7915794
>>7915786
I genuinely don't understand what's going on here. Those are all really accepted and well liked entry level SF/F authors. I can't tell if you're mad because they're too obvious or because they're too obscure.
>>
>>7915921
>Those are all really accepted and well liked entry level SF/F authors
They're accepted and well liked by people who already like fantasy. They're not entry level because nobody outside fantasy readers would ever pick them up.
>>
>>7915928
100% false, a lot of people start with them.
>>
>>7915920
No "argument" can cure your extreme stubborn stupidity. Like, you have legit brain damage. Get checked.
>>
>>7915930
People who start with those already have a predisposition to like fantasy. You've obviously never dealt with people who have prejudices against fantasy and have gone all their lives without reading it.
>>
>>7915937
Man you really took it personally huh? Don't feel bad about being so out of touch, it's easy to lose perspective when you get in too deep to your hobby.
>>
>>7915938
Also a false statement. It's an objective fact that a gigantic amount of people start with Tolkien, Sanderson and the like. They're popular for a reason.
>>
>>7915909
Yeah I'm not taking issue with any of those as entry level desu. That's exactly what they are.
>>
>>7915909
So instead of offering quality titles you feed trash to plebs. Ok bro.
>>7915928
That's not true. Fantasy isn't some super secret club you need to be introduced in. I started with Tolkien and Lewis as a kid and got into it with Wolfe later on.
None of those are some obscure authors, they are found just about everywhere and if you google best fantasy they will be on the list. Obscure fantasy would be Peake and Dunsay nowadays for example, maybe Wolfe, but he's being shilled by a wide range of writers these days and is getting coverage in New Yorker, First Things and a few others. He even has podcasts.
>>
>>7915943
>it's an objective fact that a gigantic amount of people start with Tolkien
I started with Tolkien cause I'd been obsessed with dragons and magic since I was a toddler. Somebody who spent most of their childhood playing sports and watching reality TV would fall asleep trying to read Tolkien. Even people whose hobbies were reading would have trouble getting into him if they read books for entirely different reasons than world building.
>>
>>7915952
Another false statement. Tolkien is THE thing to get people into fantasy who weren't interested in it before. How deep can one person be stuck in their delusions?
>>
>>7915951
>So instead of offering quality titles you feed trash to plebs
I see you completely misunderstand the point of a flowchart for novices.

>Fantasy isn't some super secret club you need to be introduced in
I think you're not understanding my point here. Fantasy is niche, not everybody likes it. Even other people who read a lot often don't like fantasy. Both my parents were avid readers, neither one could stand fantasy. In order to get people in to fantasy who have no interest or active prejudices against it, it needs to be accessible in ways traditional fantasy isn't.
>>
>>7915952
>fell for the Tolkien is all worldbuilding meme

read his poetry and reread Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>7915968
>Tolkien is THE thing to get people into fantasy who weren't interested in it before
This is so utterly divorced from reality I can tell you've never, ever held a conversation with a person who hates fantasy before. For people who don't like fantasy or have no interest, Tolkien is THE reason they hold up to not read it.

>>7915971
When I was 10 years old, I read Tolkien for Middle Earth. I didn't gain an appreciation for language til I was a lot older.
>>
>>7915928
Most people start with Tolkein or JK Rowling. Should those be the only two authors on any chart??
>>
>>7915983
>Most people start with Tolkein
People who start with Tolkien already have an interest in fantasy. They don't need a fucking chart.
>>
>>7915979
Wrong.

>>7915986
False. You're deluded.
>>
>>7915952
Tolkien was read, although not understood, by everyone and their mother. With the movies that came out recently the awful cover hobbit could have been seen as often as Martin during the 2nd season of the show.
>>7915970
I don't misunderstand the point of a flowchart as a flowchart is there to help you find good books. If you want to get people who are 'avid readers' into fantasy and knowing they don't like it you give them Borges and Tolkien with Children of Hurin. And here I'm assuming avid reader doesn't mean person who consumes trash on a massive scale.
The way to reject people from fantasy is exactly giving them the shit like Rothfuss because all the expectations about it being for children and people of low intelligence are in that way confirmed.
>>7915979
>This is so utterly divorced from reality I can tell you've never, ever held a conversation with a person who hates fantasy before.
I did, I call him dad. He used to hate the very idea of it until I told him about the depth of certain works such as Children of Hurin or Book of the New Sun.
Fantasy is also now so popular in mass media via movies that I find it hard to believe there are people who just absolutely refused to ever read it and need you to hold their hand while taking them through a river of shit until they become enlightenment enough to read Tolkien.
>>
>recommending tolkien to a normalfag

you guys are divorced from reality, but then again we are on 4chan

>/g/: "INSTALL GENTOO"
>/fit/: "STARTING STRENGTH"
>/v/: "NETHACK"
>/tv/: "TARKOVSKY"
>/ck/: "YOU NEED TO GROW YOUR OWN AVOCADOS"
>/fa/: "TAILOR EVERYTHING"
>>
>>7916000
>Tolkien was read, although not understood, by everyone and their mother.
Man I wish I could grow up where you did. Being the only child reading Tolkien in an entire town was hard.

>the point of a flowchart as a flowchart is there to help you find good books
A flowchart titled "welcome to fantasy" is aimed at people who don't read fantasy and want to start. As such it should have entry level titles, stuff that's accessible to people outside the core fantasy audience. I
>If you want to get people who are 'avid readers' into fantasy and knowing they don't like it you give them Borges and Tolkien with Children of Hurin.
If you want to convince them to never read fantasy again, sure.
>The way to reject people from fantasy is exactly giving them the shit like Rothfuss because all the expectations about it being for children and people of low intelligence are in that way confirmed
This implies that you think you're mature and intelligent for reading fantasy, in which case you're not the sort of person who should be recommending entry level titles because your head is way, way up your ass.
>>
>>7916000
>I told him about the depth of certain works such as Children of Hurin or Book of the New Sun
If that convinced him he's likely as pretentious as you are. Most people read for entertainment, not to feel more intelligent. And no, for most people the two are not one and the same. The fact you simultaneously insist something is "entry level" while badmouthing popular pulpy novels as beneath you shows you're not really in any position to be recommending people novels.
>>
>>7916024
>your head is way, way up your ass

we're on /lit/

it's a given that everyone here has their head up their ass
>>
>>7916000
The real funny thing here is not only does he reject good popular works, he also calls Sanderson hipster/obscure and not entry level.

SANDERSON

HIPSTER

Let that sink in for a moment and realize what kind of person you're arguing with.
>>
>>7916036
Sanderson is only read by fantasy readers. You would have to be living in a bubble to think he's mainstream or accessible. It's like saying Robert Jordan is an easy author for non-fantasy readers to get into.
>>
File: 1446757790321.jpg (81 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1446757790321.jpg
81 KB, 625x626
>>7916021
>>7916040
>>7916024
>>
>>7916040
>Sanderson is only read by fantasy readers.

No shit, he writes for a specific target audience with a specific genre, if you read one of his books you know what to expect from his other books, though they can be very different.
>>
>>7916040
Sanderson is the very definition of entry level accessible for even the dumbest normalfags. Seriously, kill yourself.
>>
Game of Thrones is the only Fantasy book that non-fantasy fans read, except for shitty YA Hunger Games rip offs.
>>
>>7916050
And that's not the sort of author you recommend to somebody with no previous interest in fantasy, especially not to somebody with prejudices against the genre. I'd recommend Sanderson to somebody I know likes fantasy stories and settings, stuff with 2 dimensional characters and railroad plots with lots of exposition. Those things I just mentioned are major turnoffs for many people new to fantasy, it's why I don't recommend authors like Sanderson or Jordan or Feist to them.
>>
>>7916057
How many of these "dumb normalfags" have you managed to get interested in fantasy by recommending Sanderson? How many actually finished one of his novels? I'm guessing zero and zero.
>>
>>7916060

I see, that makes sense.
>>
>>7916058
Harry Potter is technically fantasy as well. But yeah, Game of Thrones is one of the very few fantasy books a non-fantasy reader will pick up of their own volition. I don't even bother recommending it now because chances are they've already tried it or else know it exists and what it's about so there's no point.
>>
>>7916067
1,436,912, according to my goodreads ratings. :P

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/38550.Brandon_Sanderson
>>
>>7916021
>>/v/: "NETHACK"
you''ve never been to /v/
>>
>>7916036
I'm aware he is a retard.
>>7916024
>Man I wish I could grow up where you did. Being the only child reading Tolkien in an entire town was hard.
What illiterate town did you grow up in? Somewhere in Iran? Because getting kids to read the books which were just adapted into the best movie they had ever seen that everyone was talking about sure was difficult.
>A flowchart titled "welcome to fantasy" is aimed at people who don't read fantasy and want to start.
Hence Borges and Tolkien, not drooling shit like Rothfuss.
>As such it should have entry level titles, stuff that's accessible to people outside the core fantasy audience.
You mean like Borges?
>If you want to convince them to never read fantasy again, sure.
What kind of an illiterate person are you trying to convince to read then? The never read a book type of person? The American patriot war fiction fan? The I only read history type of person? Or someone interested in literature? Or are you 16?
>This implies that you think you're mature and intelligent for reading fantasy
I don't, but there is mature fantasy to read, thankfully plenty of it.
>in which case you're not the sort of person who should be recommending entry level titles because your head is way, way up your ass.
This is a literature board for people interested in literature, not mostly drooling retards who can't concentrate for longer than 15 minutes on something which isn't porn. While my head is up my ass there is nothing wrong with what I've said. This is a general for people here, not the masses of soccer moms you want to help get into fantasy.
>>7916034
>If that convinced him he's likely as pretentious as you are. Most people read for entertainment, not to feel more intelligent.
Most people aren't interested in literature and this is a literature board for people who read literature.
>And no, for most people the two are not one and the same. The fact you simultaneously insist something is "entry level" while badmouthing popular pulpy novels as beneath you shows you're not really in any position to be recommending people novels.
You see entry level is something easy to get into which will help you find other stuff like it. And assuming you aren't retarded, Borges and Tolkien are a great way to start. Widely read, accessible while also being really solid writers. There's also a great number of pulpy novels that aren't awful, which you could recommend such as Elric of Melbourne, Lankhmar, Conan and Amber Chronicle. None of those is hard to read, is pulpy as fuck and still retains a dose of quality.
>>
>>7915896
>Wynne Jones
>Garbage
Say what you want about the rest but don't talk smack about my main woman yo.
>>
>pretending reading books in itself is some specialized task worthy of self--aggrandizement

your first mistake desu senpai
>>
>>7916091
>YOU FILTHY UNWASHED PLEBS HOW DARE YOU DEFILE MY BOARD
>>
>>7916114
Absolutely. It's the pretentious up his own ass posts like that which keep the plebs at bay.
This would otherwise be a goodreads 2.0 or something similar. And like this it's a unique place because really where else would you discuss literature.
Irl, yeah, but I moved so I see my literature buddies only 1-2 times a month and we always read different stuff aside the Greeks.
>>
>not just recommending Bakker to newfriends

Gotta give them the trial by fire
>>
>>7916228
>all these Bakkerfags coming out of the woodwork

I am pleased.
>>
File: The_Sleeping_Dragon.jpg (50 KB, 316x537) Image search: [Google]
The_Sleeping_Dragon.jpg
50 KB, 316x537
Soooo.....
Is it safe yet?
>>
>>7914768
Triskele is the most faithful waifu. Un zoophiliste! The dog was good enough for ymar.
>>
>>7916021
Something wrong with Tarkovsky you pleb?
>>
>>7916303
I've heard good things about that one.
>>
>>7916478
>implying Triskele was faithful enough to stay with Severian after death
The best you can get without resurrection/soul transfer is third place.
>>
>>7916554
Admittedly I cringed when I realized it was a "Roleplayers suddenly sucked into game world" story, but it wasn't half bad.
>>
>>7916566
The self-contained secondary world thing is actually pretty new. LotR even has a sort of conceit that it's a legend of ancient Europe. I think the first fantasy novel to really just have a different world with different rules might have been Earthsea. Before that you usually had an explorer finding a lost valley with hyperboreans in it or at least an archaeologist having a weird conversation with a gypsy.
>>
File: Webjack.png (340 KB, 400x363) Image search: [Google]
Webjack.png
340 KB, 400x363
>tfw you realize your writing is literally you compensating for your lack of drawing ability

Fuck.
>>
>>7916603
>Lack of drawing ability and inability to do film
>>
>>7916611
Yep. Nailed it.

My god, why do I even try any more? It feels like I write movies, not prose. I don't think that's fair to the actual writers.

All I want, is for someone to read something I wrote and enjoy it. It could be one person
>>
>>7916619
What's your problem? Do you find yourself writing lists of actions taken that don't flow well when read?
>>
>>7916668
I just think I'm doing more scene writing instead of...actual writing. I feel like every action, every little quip or set piece needs a little notice and explanation, almost like I'm setting up the shot for a movie. It just bothers me, it's like I'm writing scenes.

I think movies can be fun to analyze, and I think they can help you write, but I think I'm just compensating for my lack of filmmaking or drawing talent by writing things.
>>
>>7916681
You've read written scenes that flow like movies. There's a way to encode the visual information from your imagination in a way readers can pick up on.
Try reading Self-Editing for Fiction Writers.
>>
>>7916692
Thank you for the recommendation. I will.
>>
File: proposal.jpg (184 KB, 701x1000) Image search: [Google]
proposal.jpg
184 KB, 701x1000
Does /sffg/ have waifus?
>>
>>7916757
nothing quite as romantic as proposing to the prostitute you just pulled anal beads out of
>>
>>7916681

There are times where it's better to let the reader IMAGINE things for themselves, not what they read, but what they think is there
>>
>>7916757
>Sike. Now you're deflowered, 30, AND single
Animes are for bullying.
>>
>>7916757
Dudes, I've fucked HUNDREDS of anime girls, this isn't "my" first time, this is just another anime girl staining my cum rag among hundreds of others, so what if she offers "me" her virginity I've conquered like 100 other virgins. Anyway, yeah.
>>
>>7916757
Arkady Darell is moe.
>>
>>7912521
Lensman, but it's very old school and maybe not as Conanesque as you'd want.

Try The Demon Princes by Jack Vance.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 636x358
>>7912778
Also Bayta best SF waifu.
>>
File: DogScrunchCage.jpg (43 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
DogScrunchCage.jpg
43 KB, 480x480
>>7916801
>sike
>>
>>7916833
That's a pretty common way to spell it (or misspell it).
I'll bastardize slang as much as I want. Thank you very much.
>>
>>7915059
Anathem, Blindsight, The Golden Age
>>
>>7916843
Golden Age trilogy was really, really good.
>>
>>7916843
Anathem, Blindsight, Spin.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 228x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 228x346
Just finished this, it's completely nuts in a good way. The author definitely bit off more than he could chew and I rolled my eyes a few times but damn. References everything from Skylark of Space to anime . I'd recommend giving the series a try if you liked Golden Age.
>>
>>7916871
Never heard of Spin. What's so great about it?
>>
>>7916873
The part where the alien explains how supernovas and stellar formation are part of galactic industry we're just too small to notice was my favorite.

What anime reference? The fox queen? Wright definitely had ten yellowed paperbacks full of material in there, this format doesn't suit him at all, but his visuals are absolutely on point. The Swan on the ship meditating on a lilypad with a third eye is one of my favorite SF images.

>>7916875
It feels like living a hard life and making it through your trials. Also, we terraform Mars with modern tech.
>>
File: 1231 (5).jpg (342 KB, 1308x998) Image search: [Google]
1231 (5).jpg
342 KB, 1308x998
I don't get anything out of these charts. I need some recommendations.

I mostly read serious books growing up, but I've been sick the last year and started reading fantasy and sci-fi as a supreme distraction.

Shit I enjoyed:

>Malazan (favorite so far)
>Wheel of Time
>Hyperion
>Discworld
>Earthsea
>Dresden Files
>Gentleman Bastard Sequence
>His Dark Materials
>Neuromancer
>The Stars My Destination

Shit I didn't enjoy:

>Anything by Brandon Sanderson
>Foundation
>Lord of the Rings
>Prince of Nothing
>MYTH
>Thomas Covenant
>Live Ship Traders
>The First Law (least favorite so far)

There are a few others that fall in between. The Black Company for example I enjoyed the story and characters but hated the author. Made it through 6 and a half books before I dropped it. Every time it got good or you started to like the narrator he changed them up. Pissed me off.

I also don't (precisely) mind reading awful series like Codex Alera if they're compelling.

I read quickly and for long periods of time, so I prefer very long series if possible.
>>
>>7916875
It's a great story, and well-written. It reminds me of Anathem in some ways, but way more accessible to the general public. Good intro-to-SF book.
>>
>>7916883
Richard Morgan.
>>
>>7916875
Spin is Robert Charles Wilson's Hugo Award-winning masterpiece―a stunning combination of a galactic "what if" and a small-scale, very human story.

One night in October when he was ten years old, Tyler Dupree stood in his back yard and watched the stars go out. They all flared into brilliance at once, then disappeared, replaced by a flat, empty black barrier. He and his best friends, Jason and Diane Lawton, had seen what became known as the Big Blackout. It would shape their lives.

The effect is worldwide. The sun is now a featureless disk―a heat source, rather than an astronomical object. The moon is gone, but tides remain. Not only have the world's artificial satellites fallen out of orbit, their recovered remains are pitted and aged, as though they'd been in space far longer than their known lifespans. As Tyler, Jason, and Diane grow up, a space probe reveals a bizarre truth: The barrier is artificial, generated by huge alien artifacts. Time is passing faster outside the barrier than inside―more than a hundred million years per year on Earth. At this rate, the death throes of the sun are only about forty years in our future.

Jason, now a promising young scientist, devotes his life to working against this slow-moving apocalypse. Diane throws herself into hedonism, marrying a sinister cult leader who's forged a new religion out of the fears of the masses.... ( and so on - don't want to spoil too much)
>>
>>7916899

Both series?
>>
>>7916906
Yeah but I'd start with the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy.
>>
>>7916911

I can't find the last book in Land for Heroes, Dark Defiles anywhere. Has it been purged from the internet?
>>
>>7916921
There's an all in one for Land for Heroes on KAT.
>>
>>7916883
Could give China Mieville a go. The Bas-Lag trio maybe to start.
>>
>>7916817
>>7912521
Planet of Adventure/Tschai by Vance as well, though it is also confined to one planet
>>
>>7916963
>>7916934

Thanks.
>>
>>7915832
Not bait, I legitimately have shit taste. Besides, even most of the general likes Stormlight.
>>
>>7917049
Not saying either are awful or anything but best of the millennium so far?
>>
>>7915705

I enjoyed it immensely, and thought Lord of the Rings was boring as shit.
>>
Any recommendations?

No hipster shit like Sanderson please?
Maybe something like anime instead?
>>
>>7916603
Yeah, well I personally like to draw fanart and write fanfic.
>>
>>7916603
>tfw inability to do both
Writing I can still learn but I always have shaking hands so I can never make clean drawings.
>>
File: Dragons_Blood.jpg (36 KB, 291x475) Image search: [Google]
Dragons_Blood.jpg
36 KB, 291x475
>>7917526
This is like anime?
>>
File: 1407556316774.jpg (109 KB, 1024x569) Image search: [Google]
1407556316774.jpg
109 KB, 1024x569
>>7917526
>No hipster shit like Sanderson please?
>>
>>7917544
Dragon cockfighting in a stadium. I'd say anime.
>>
>>7917182
They're not the same kind of literature so it figures.
>>
>>7917544
I hadn't thought of it, but yeah.
>Protagonist learning to be hotblooded
>Cute girl competes with then befriends him
>Fighting against an oppressive system
>Gets really weird in the third part
Perfect match.

>>7917539
Shaky art was popular in the 70s. Maybe it'll come back.
>>
>>7917526
>No hipster shit like Sanderson please?
Ironically Sanderson is the most like animu, but you can read the Coldfire Trilogy to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu-u6I2a968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0XBe1oZt6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK4nggli_0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu-u6I2a968
>>
>>7917566
>Owari No Seraph
tfw no vampire bff
>>
File: 1459818500786.jpg (38 KB, 663x579) Image search: [Google]
1459818500786.jpg
38 KB, 663x579
>>7917526
Sanderson is the most anime writer in fantasy that is also read by normalfags all over the world.
>>
>>7917644
Well scaPEGoat is quite appropriate to the book, all things considered.
>>
>>7917058
I've barely read any sci-fi written after the 80s.

And I legitimately think Way of Kings is the best fantasy book written this millenium. It's miles ahead of Sanderson's other work. Feel free to recommend me some better ones, but I've read most of the commonly recommended ones here, except for Prince of Nothing.
>>
File: Accelerator_.jpg (196 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Accelerator_.jpg
196 KB, 1280x720
>>7917649
Not all the time. But the Reckoners has its moments.

>Prof has forcefields
>excuse to make him almost Accelerator tier
>>
>>7916883
Going by your tastes I would recommend the Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
>>
File: cityofblades.jpg (11 KB, 192x293) Image search: [Google]
cityofblades.jpg
11 KB, 192x293
Anyone read this yet, how's it stack up against the 1st?
>>
File: 1460149816160.jpg (14 KB, 200x162) Image search: [Google]
1460149816160.jpg
14 KB, 200x162
>>7916040
>>
File: original.jpg (140 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
140 KB, 1280x720
>>7917716
>Megan revealing how her power actually works
>>
>>7916882
The Nymphs are hypersexualized Japanese women with unnaturally large eyes, yeah. I don't think it was spelled out but the Foxes are clearly upgraded Nymphs, with Japanese fashion if not appearance, although they're probably also a reference to Cordwainer Smith's animal-people.
>>
>>7917988
I thought it was way better. Mulaghesh is a way better protagonist (better fleshed, more damaged), the mystery was cooler, and the god was more terrifying. The ending was phenomenal. It has less Sigrud if that matters to you, but he's there.
>>
What do you think about A.A. Attanasio?
>>
>>7916603
>inability
Literally practice and you'll get better.
>>
>>7915633
Take a break and return rested and hungry
>>
>>7916603
>tfw you dabbled in drawing for a while and made some babby gains
>realize you just want to tell stories and can do it much faster and efficiently with words
>was already a much better writer than I was with drawing

Feels good to no longer have that silly identify crisis, i still bullshit out some meme sketches now and then but my main craft is writing forever.
>>
>>7918494
I think it just comes down to switching from Visual storytelling to the written word.
>>
What the fuck happened to this general?
I've been gone for a month and come back to this?

I just read the entire thread, and realized that our bread eating, wine sipping, hat tipping brethren have thoroughly infiltrated our general.

Remember at the start there is always, ALWAYS, some fagget saying "not lit"... where did he go?

Now I see discussion of old as fuck, boring obscure books, that granpa read as a kid being recommended seriously, and being defended tooth and nail.

Did you e/lit/ist make some thread a while back and discussed how you can either:
a.)Get rid of us
OR
b.)Make us join the fold by slowly transitioning us to non fiction?

You cunts need to gtfo, we are not going to read IJ, Gravity's Rainbow, Ulysses, and the other plethora of shit you guys hold up as the pinnacle of Human Literature.

GET OUT
>>
>>7918523
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>7918506
Not really, they function entirely differently when you get past the face value of "one is a picture inside your head and another is outside"

There's some things text can never do compared to a comic and vice versa. Even moreso when we start talking about advanced composition in both mediums.
>>
>>7918226
Thanks, will bump it up the queue.
>>
>>7918523
Why did you even take the time to write this? Are you honestly so petty and angry at people disagreeing with your tastes you have to strawman them to prove your point? Boo hoo, you're angry some kids didn't like your recommendations or enjoy books you don't, now if you act like a retard in association with their opinions you can somehow discredit them and trick us all to see the world through your warped perspective, right?
>>
>>7918564
Fuck off retard.
>>
File: Cyteen.jpg (53 KB, 285x475) Image search: [Google]
Cyteen.jpg
53 KB, 285x475
>>7918523
Last couple of threads have been fairly comfy. We just had some sort of spergsplosion in this one. Read Cyteen and Regenesis (political scifi thrillers) to forget your worries.
>>
>>7918651
>We just had some sort of spergsplosion in this one
It looks like it's slowly turning regular /lit/ .

For years they didn't want new people.
They constantly chased anyone that wasn't hivemind, and in a current society where less people are reading they should be happy that someone is picking up a book, be that book fiction.

Now in this thread, I see they are suggesting books that are dense, as entry level. It's like they don't want people to read fantasy. You suggest the easy (fun) stuff, then as the person matures as a reader they will move to denser works..... but no.

They are suggesting the things that make normalfags not want to read, as a beginners MUST.
Then they turn their noses at things that are light and fun and attention grabbing.

They are out of touch with the current societal standard. They think it's the 90's.

In a society where anime is normalfag, video game players are getting paid as if it is a sport and video games are getting courses at University. You think they would see what sells/interest people and suggest accordingly... no they suggest what THEY think you should read.

LoTR is shit, it does not transcend the generational gap well. You know who is buying toys and tickets to the movies? People 23 and older.

Harry Potter would be more entry level than LoTR.
>>
>>7916963
>The Bas-Lag trio maybe to start.

The third one is pigshit.
>>
File: Sabotage_in_Space.jpg (52 KB, 260x399) Image search: [Google]
Sabotage_in_Space.jpg
52 KB, 260x399
>>7919690
>They are out of touch with the current societal standard. They think it's the 90's.
I don't know what that has to do with anything. Books are timeless.
>Now in this thread, I see they are suggesting books that are dense, as entry level. It's like they don't want people to read fantasy. You suggest the easy (fun) stuff, then as the person matures as a reader they will move to denser works..... but no.
Honestly, I have trouble remembering the stuff I read early on. Might be everyone on here has the same difficulty. I just dredged up a memory of pic related (I swear I'm in my 20s).
>>
>>7919690
Get out, retard.
>>
I want to try some Michael Moorcock, what would you say is his best work?
>>
>>7919860
The nomad of the time stream trilogy. I loved his stuff as a kid and still think fondly of it but they don't stand the test of time.
>>
Does Eriksson + Malazan Books fit into the pantheon anywhere? Im fully hooked
>>
>>7919877
What do you mean?
>>
All i know from a mix Scifi, HFY and whatnot .. is that the day shit happens like first contact, 4chan will ruin everything the moment they tap into our net and start spamming the aliens with a link to the thread :
>hey anon
>let's all write a letter for our visitors
>then spam the SHIT out of it

>"Dear ..
>SPACE NIGGER
>AND KNUCKLES
>the echidna
>ALIEN TITS OR BTFO
>nigger
>get MEMES SON

Then they order the orbital strike as they prepare for FTL jump asap, crying and sick for they have read 3 pages of the 1784 of the most horrid, vile and graphic senseless message that mankind have ever produced.
4chan will basically bully the aliens to the point of our own extermination.
>>
>>7918523
>>7919690
If you're mad about people calling Rothfuss and Sanderson shit, they've always been hated here.
>>
>>7919884
Leave.
>>
>>7919690
>anime is normalfag
Nice try, you fucking loser.
>>
>>7919860
Try The Eternal Champion Sequence Vol.1, it's the start of a 15 vol. continuance. That way, if you don't like his work, at least you can put it down. But if you do, then you can carry on with the sequence in order.
>>
>>7919883
From what I've read his plotweaving blows others out of the water, and each character encountered is substantial in their own right (even the minor ones).
He blends magic/socery with decay and evolution which is pretty novel, and manages to make the reader feel like they are literalyy a fly on the wall to a a myth of epic proportions.
Just like him and wondered why he was absent from OP's lists
>>
>>7919908
>Just like him and wondered why he was absent from OP's lists
He isn't, open your eyes. General chart -> 3rd book in Epic fantasy.
>>
>>7919888
>they've always been hated here
No they weren't, it's just that people that actually like them aren't vocal.

I like Sanderson, and book one of Rothfuss, when I see others shitting on them I just read what they have to say and move onto the next post.

Why do I have to defend my likes and what-not to /lit/?

You should know the most vocal of something isn't the majority.

Also not those guys you replied to, just stating my opinions.
>>
>>7918523
Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest are sci-fi books
>>
>>7919888
All of Sanderson is shit except Stormlight Archive which is one of the most entertaining fantasy to come out so far 2bh. Rothfuss is eh, I find his prose annoying to read because it feels very tryhardy.
>>
What about scientific fantasy?
>>
So is Dying Earth worth reading? I'm like 40 pages in and while I love the prose the actual content / plot is very underwhelming and not engaging me at all. Is there gonna be a big turning point or is this how the books are gonna go?
>>
>>7920044
The plot gets good in The Eyes of the Overworld.
>>
>>7920044
I read the first book then dropped it.

It's up to you. Too prosey for me.

It's like Vance was fingering his book and it's super wet and he's about to penetrate.
>>
>>7920033
>I want to write sci-fi, but I don't know shit about technology so magic does everything.
>>
Is Malazan a good read for someone who despises D&D? I read that the author started writing the series after his D&D campaign, and for personal reasons I can't stand D&D.
>>
>>7919958
I've been posting in these since the first thread. They've always been shat on because they're reddit garbage.

You should try r/fantasy, friend.
>>
>>7920067
Soft sci-fi>>>>>>designated shitting streets>>>>>>>>hard "sci-fi"
>>
>>7920033
Hannu Rajaniemi is essentially this.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.