[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im 20% into this, is as terrible as it seems?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: Oldmansea.jpg (31 KB, 200x292) Image search: [Google]
Oldmansea.jpg
31 KB, 200x292
Im 20% into this, is as terrible as it seems?
>>
>>7906718
Feels like a children's book or Coelho tier literature, should i drop it then?
>>
>>7906693
My English teacher made our class read it over the weekend in our sophomore year of high school. Some of us complained about having to read a "whole" book in such a short time, but it really is the sort of thing you can read in a day or two and not really miss or overlook anything in.

Memeingway's a middling author at best.
>>
>>7906722
You are an idiot, and should drop reading altogether.
>>
fiesta is much better
i love themes of disillusionment and being disappointed with life. was a shame that to me none of hemmingways other stuff lived up to it
>>
>>7906693

i'm reading a moveable feast right now, its pretty much humblebragging:the book
>>
__One two*******ggg*******
>>
>>7906846
Why? Because i dont like a book you like?
>>
>>7906693
I started it a couple of weeks ago. I'm about half way in and it's starting to pick up some momentum.
>>
>>7907054
You shouldn't be taking that long to read it. It's a tiny book with tiny ideas in unadorned prose.
>>
>>7907048
I'm sure you can tell the difference between "I didn't like a book" and your shitpost >>7906722
>>
>>7907067
So you're offended because he called your beloved memeingway an author of a children's book? He's right though. It essentially is a children's book. Even the title sounds like some sort of fable.
>>
>>7906693
What is it you don't like about this book?
>>
fucking nu-males itt hating on based papa
>>
>>7907090
> memeingway
You sound retarded.
>>
>>7907148
Bro, if you want to whack off to a faggy little story about an old man nostalgically chasing after The Big Fish, that's your business, but don't equate this sort of limp-wristed glorification of meme-masculinity to actual masculinity.
>>
>>7907090

You can genuinely make many valid critical points wrt Hemingway, but calling his work children's books is really missing the mark.
>>
>>7907163
I'm not saying they're all children's books. This one definitely is though.
>>
I enjoyed it. I read it out on the lake and finished it in one sitting. He has a different style but its very straight to the point and lets your imagination go wild
>>
>>7907054
How are you so slow at reading? It took me 2-3 days, tops.
>>
>>7907166
as long as you realize that it doesn't make that "children's books" isn't a label that lets you dismiss something
>>
>>7907054
Gr8 b8
>>
>>7907179
Im not dismissing it, but it's extremely easy to read and the dialogues are naive as fuck. Im just saying that i expected way more from it.
>>
>>7907215
lmao ok
>>
>>7907215
Babbby tier criticism. Have you read Harry Potter? Sounds like something more suited for you.
>>
>>7907156 're a fucking cuck.
>>
>>7907156
Yeah i know how you feel i hate Moby Dick as well.
>>
>>7907569
Its not a criticism, its the way it is, maybe this book is not for me. But im only about 40 pages in, those are my initial reactions to it, i will finish it for sure.

I just asked genuinely if this was considered a children's book, its my first hemingway btw
>>
>>7907631
it is not a children's book but it is distinct in its style, as is Hemmingway. You may want to try The Old Man and the Wasteland, it is a modern spin on the Old Man and the Sea, set in a dystopic post war future. I found it to be more satisfying to read than Hemingway's just because the settings was more interesting.

You can't get a good sense of Hemingway just from tOMatS, but if you try Farewell to Arms or For Whom the Bell Tolls and cant get into them, H. is def. not for you. Doesn't mean you have shit taste or anything, some people just don't like his style.
>>
>>7906734
His short stories are some of the best ever written, although I agree that he's a criminally mediocre novelist.
>>
>>7906693
You are the worst.
>>
>>7907662
Thank you anon, i will probably read Farewell to Arms after i finish this.
>>
>>7907579
>c-cuck!
Nice try champ, but sucking dried up dead old man semen doesn't make you manly.
>>
>>7907774
don't bother, The Sun Also Rises is his best novels and imo the only one worth reading, other than that read his short stories
>>
>>7906693
It's comfy lit; it's simple because it's meant to be simple. I used to really hate Hemingway, but now I've come to appreciate his "purist" approach to storytelling. I read it when I'm tired or stressed. If you are looking for a life-changing book or an accomplishment in prose, his work probably isn't for you anyway.
>>
Yeah I didn't like it either. I think it's famous because it's been taught in high schools in a long time, because it's short and simple, and this has created the illusion that it's Hemingway's masterpiece. In fact his novels and stories are all better.
>>
>>7907774
Gonna agree with the other guy, read Fiesta/The Sun Also Rises, it's by far his best novel and it's not long and equally as good as his short stories.
>>
>>7906693
read it in an hour or two. yeah its not that great in my opinion. reads a bit like a bare, overblown didactic fable.
>>
File: zizek-at-home.jpg (23 KB, 282x389) Image search: [Google]
zizek-at-home.jpg
23 KB, 282x389
Hemmingway isn't very good, I'd advise avoiding him (especially if you don't enjoy the book many claim is his greatest work). Don't waste your time, read something you prefer or would be more worthwhile.
>>
>>7908855

Don't you think it's because it won him the Nobel Prize?
>>
The Old Man and the Sea is better than Moby Dick. He explains a fishing trip in under a 100 pages when it takes Herman 'the Hack' Melville over 600. His prose is clearer and his message for the people of earth in it is truely profound. If you didnt like it you probably just didnt understand it.
>>
>>7911171
>he explains a fishing trip
>herman 'the Hack' Melville
>message for the people of earth

Are you retarded?
>>
>>7907176
I work really late so I can usually only get a couple of hours (sometimes more on weekends) of reading in most nights.
>>
>>7911188
If the whale took bait as easily as you, maybe the book wouldn't be so damn long.
>>
>>7911171
I actually laughed out loud
>>
>>7911207
Absolutely pathetic. I was able to absorb the content of Hemingway's entire discography through direct physical contact in just three minutes. I then had a spiritual experience in which I took his manly essence directly into my spirit-body. Furthermore, having a job identifies you as the worst kind of subhuman trash imaginable. You clearly do not belong here, my friend. I bet aren't even fluent in sanskrit.
>>
>>7912859
One of the best shitposts I've ever seen
>>
>>7912859
>this level of cultural regression
I was born with the noble blood of the English flowing through my royal veins, and the eventual disgrace that was Hemingway was present in my first digestion; as I took the milk of Chaucer and the blood of Shakespeare, his pathetic form emerged from my unblemished bowels, heralded by the fart of America, and in time I was taught by my righteous kin to deposit all 'hemingways' in the white vanishing-cauldron in which they belong.
>>
>>7911158
I thought authors won the Nobel for their body of work, not particular books.
>>
>>7906693
nigga its really short how can u even say ur at 20%, u read 7,666 pages?

it takes 2h or something to read it whole but u take a break at 17 min to shitpost?
>>
>>7906693
If you're a woman why are you here
>>
ITT: a whole lot of social posturing by people who don't read.
>>
>>7906693
NAH
>>
>>7912883

Oh god I'm cringing
>>
>>7906693
I think the whole thing is an analogy of his life and works, so it takes some perspective.
>>
It is simple but beautiful and the prose is refreshing. The Sun Also Rises is his best I think.
>>
20% into the old man and the sea is like what five pages

never post on /lit/ again please
>>
File: No sleep tonight.png (420 KB, 377x594) Image search: [Google]
No sleep tonight.png
420 KB, 377x594
>>7906878
>i love themes of disillusionment and being disappointed with life

Do you know any other book that has the same feeling to it?
>>
>>7916007
well, my version of the old man and the sea has 232 pages, wtf are you talkin about.
>>
>>7916032
Well, nevermind, just noticed that more than half of that is a biography of Hemingway for some reason.

I was more than halfway trough then.
>>
>>7914818
why do you think the sun also rises is his best book?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.