[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Casual literature discussion & QTDDTOT: Questions that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: QTDDTOT.png (571 KB, 693x520) Image search: [Google]
QTDDTOT.png
571 KB, 693x520
Casual literature discussion

&

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread.
>>
How many languages does Harold Bloom know?
>>
File: 1457923038327.jpg (343 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1457923038327.jpg
343 KB, 1024x1024
>>7900748

I'm a college undergrad (in a stem field) and will graduate in a few weeks. Although things could be worse, I feel a bit lost, hopeless and dazed in ennui. I feel numb and detached to almost anything and everything as opposed to my previous keen and more excited self. Maybe that's because I failed to build any meaningful relationships or experiences for myself in the past 4 years which have been pretty dull and uneventful.

Literature that deals with this feel? Is this a natural consequence of loneliness, cynicism and social seclusion?

Also, I am going to start stoner since I've heard good things from /lit about it. What should I go in expecting?
>>
Is this the so-called new sincerity; has it finally found its place in commercial music culture?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/twentyonepilots/stressedout.html

>I was told when I get older all my fears would shrink,
But now I'm insecure and I care what people think.

Is that the new hot thing now or what?
>>
Anyone read any Carl Rogers?
>>
>>7900775
The best part of literature and life is not expecting anything at all - which incidentally is also the solution to your ennui
>>
Are there any political philosophy charts? If not, could someone in the know give me a bit of guidance on where to start?
>>
>>7900890

As soon as I become more aware of my state, I decide to do something that can occupy me or read something before the train of thought turns depressing and ruins yet another day.

And I've beginning to expect less and less of myself and at some point I can see expecting nothing at all from life. I do expect some sort of catharsis/escape in literature and am hoping that the Greeks I've begun to read eventually lead to some sort of closure on anything or everything.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm not sure how to convey my state quite right. It's strange to me.
>>
>>7900775
>graduating with stem degree in a few weeks
>lost, hopeless, numb, detached

Are you me?
>>
>>7900913
Just own it and don't distract yourself
>>
I just spent 175 dollars on a book, am I patrician or no
>>
>>7900748
Is the New York meme worth it?

I don't really have many friends anymore, and I don't have a lot of direction. I really need something to energize me, and I've always wanted to live in a big city.
>>
>>7900925
What book was it?
>>
>>7900931
A Cambridge Clarion NKJV bible
>>
>>7900925
>>7900937

Spending money on books you don't read is pretty common for especially for average people. Most on my bookshelf are books I have read, then bought, some are copies that I can't find digitally and just want longer than I would if it was borrowed from the library. I only have a few books that I haven't read just to know they are there if I want something new. Right now the only one is no country for old men and I don't really plan on reading it, anytime soon, but I just like to know that there is at least one book on my self I haven't read. An excessive bookshelf of unread books is awful and common.
>>
>>7901373

NCfOM is pretty disappointing. One of the semi-rare cases where the film blows the book completely out of the water.
>>
>>7900929
No. I grew up in NY (25 now) and it's shit.
>>
>>7901373
I'm going to read it.
>>
libraries t b h
>>
>>7900929
Live in NY right now. It's really fun if you have money. Much less so without. I've experienced both
>>
I've tried to read the Bible but it's a daunting task. Which parts of the Old & New Testament are essential to understanding biblical references?
>>
>>7901647
You're reading it for the wrong reason

There's alot more to be gained from the Bible than "getting" a few literary teehees
>>
>>7900914
this is so common m88, don't sweat it it'll either get worst or better

>>7900913
the greeks are a meme, skip them for now

>>7901410
life in any big city is shit when you're poor, is that the case anon?
>>
>>7900748
Is Eugenie Danglars gay? I'm not saying because of the crossdressing, she literally ran off with a girl.
>>
File: politics.png (26 KB, 927x357) Image search: [Google]
politics.png
26 KB, 927x357
>>7900907
>>
>>7901647
read everything and decide for yourself you cuck
>>
I'm slightly confused about this board, why is there so much discussion about tertiary studies? Isn't it better for /sci/?
>>
>>7900852
It may be the hot new thing, but I believe he's also legitimately schizophrenic.
>>
>>7901772

yes but schoolfags would rather shitpost about their garbage lives here
>>
>>7901686
>life in any big city is shit when you're poor, is that the case anon?
Yeah.

Protip if you want to live the literary life meme in NYC: Have a dad who invented Lasik or who is a rich musician.
>>
Can anyone recommend me some English translations of Petrarch's Canzoniere?
>>
>>7900852
>Listening to shit tier music
>>
>>7900929
NY is terrible. I guess it's a decent playground if you're wealthy but you can have as much fun for any value of that word for less money in many other places.
>>
>>7900929
Also, every single person living the "literary life" in NYC is either independently wealthy, supported by their parents, or sponging off one of the former.
>>
File: 667[1].jpg (38 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
667[1].jpg
38 KB, 314x475
>>7901753
Don't forget to read this one too
>>
I'm supposed to graduate in 3 weeks but I'm just shitposting on /lit/ all day and failing all my classes.
What do?
>>
>>7902096
Shitpost in your assignments instead. Only read /lit/ while literally shitting.
>>
File: disdain for plebs.jpg (25 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
disdain for plebs.jpg
25 KB, 400x462
I want to learn Latin, either from English or from French. I'm guessing from French would be easier because it's my first language and it's actually a descendant of Latin. Does anyone have some good resources to recommend?

Also, is it really as hard as they say?
>>
Are there any books one should be familiar with before reading Gene Wolfe? I don't have any prior experience with SF but I'm interested in New Sun.
>>
>>7903426
>Are there any books one should be familiar with before reading Gene Wolfe

this is a question I'll never understand, especially for fiction.
>>
I speak 2 languages English and Spanish, unfortunately I only talk in Spanish, but not read or write it.
Could anyone point me to any philosophical works that were originally in Spanish (I say originally because I fail to see the point if i'm reading a translation) that a pleb like me could understand.
>>
>>7903439
I saw some discussion on him on another board recently that spooked me out. I take it the Gene Wolfe is hard meme is just a meme then?
>>
Where's the Jaime dude
>>
>>7903456
the question is not whether something it's hard or not, the problem stems form different conception about "comprehension". If the author felt that one has to thorugh some required readings before approaching his opera, this would have informed the whole narrative project and likely a public indication from the author himself. But since there's no such thing in regard to the BotNS, one has to assume there is no such thing as required readings. You're probably worried about not getting some reference, because you fear your past readings are inadequate to whatever standard you set for yourself, but trush is that there is no standard and value of a literary work isn't measured in references, but as the effect it produces on you from the clashing fof your personal "horizon" as a reader.
>>
>>7903472
>opera

*work
>>
>>7903472
Thanks for the answer.
>>
>>7902429
Just use a real textbook that is designed for undergraduate courses and you'll be fine. Wheelock is probably your best bet, and it's easy to pirate online. Cambridge is another option but I don't like it personally. I liked Shelmerdine, because it gave me grammar concepts upfront and let me do my own drills, without hiding the conceptual stuff behind 500 pages of easy translations. But it's not online, and that might not even be your thing.

All three are English textbooks, and obviously there are billions of others, some of them probably far better than these ones. The real answer is just to find one that suits your style and stick with it. If you don't know your own learning style yet, just do your best to pick one, and smash through.

I always advise people to remember that textbooks are made by humans, often badly, often with shitty pedagogy behind them. "Knowing Latin" is distinct from whatever textbook purports to contain or convey it, and there is no single perfect book or method to get to it. A book that gets you 85% of the way to knowing some subject is obviously better than a book that gets you 75% of the way, but at the end of the day, you're going to be getting SOME of your knowledge from wiggly methods like Wikipedia, asking people on forums, and just plain hammering out those moments of "I DON'T FUCKING GET IT." No book is the full 100%, and it's perfectly possible to succeed even if you only have a shitty 50% book. So just try a couple, commit to one, and smash through.

The lion's share of learning a language is in just smashing through it. When in doubt, just keep going. Redundancy is fine as long as you're moving forward. Three bad textbooks is better than one nonexistent perfect textbook.

The three difficult aspects of learning Latin, or really just learning any language in the way you learn Latin, are: (1) conceptual, i.e. getting your mind around the grammar and syntax, (2) having the discipline to really, rigorously learn it from the ground up, and (3) having the dedication to stick with it and keep going, even when you don't have any visible indicators of linear progress. They're all willpower based.
>>
>>7903759
Thanks.
>>
>>7903448
Why don't you just read Cortazar or something. I keep hearing his damn name all over the place so there must be something there.
>>
File: ije.jpg (449 KB, 1000x850) Image search: [Google]
ije.jpg
449 KB, 1000x850
>tfw he isn't coming back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKT6YKIO3vs
>>
I feel like if you're judging people morally it makes more sense to judge them for how they treat people they consider below them (in intelligence, sex life, etc) than it does t judge them simply for how they treat others. Or to put it another way, to judge them for how they treat people who'd have no possible affect on their own standing in life. Do I sound like an idiot hippie right now?
>>
>>7905029
?????
>>
I need advice, /lit/.

I'm doing a non-fiction piece that involves talking about an episode from a television show within a series of other IRL events. Since it probably wouldn't be best to replicate the episode, scene for scene, quotes for quote, into a narrative, even if I tried to summarize most of it, what is the best way to go about describing the episode to the reader, making sure to highlight important quotes and moments that are relevant to the rest of the piece, so I move on to talking about the later events?

Any possible examples if others have done this?
>>
What separates humans from other animals?
>>
>>7905988
The ability to be spiritual
Hence the biblical "made in the image of God"
>>
>>7905988
Circumcision
>>
>>7905087

>how they treat people who'd have no possible affect o their own standing in life

that's a bit arbitrary imo. I get why one's treatment of people considered "lower" shows the extent of narcissism, self-importance, ego and general humanity of a person.

But disqualifying other criterion isn't practical.

What about people higher in standing? When you see someone lick their boss's ass or how they treat their parents or their seniors. how someone treats people who DO have an affect on their standing in life betrays a lot about someone.

How they treat people who'd have no possible affect would show only how they treat the general human being.
>>
Hey /lit/, just started a blog yesterday, what do you think of my first post? It's about my time in Belgium.
https://thenightshiftguy.wordpress.com
>>
>>7901686
Are you being genuine? The entire western canon is founded on the greeks, you sloppy twat.
>>
Which should I read first: The Third Policeman or At Swim-Two-Birds?
>>
What are some good /lit/ books that are interesting enough to keep even a normie captivated?
I just have a hard time reading 20+ pages of back and forth philosophical shit
the ADD doesn't help either
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.