[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are books about being ugly? Or ugly people, and their ugliness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: original.jpg (908 KB, 1280x1918) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
908 KB, 1280x1918
What are books about being ugly? Or ugly people, and their ugliness?
>>
Your diary tb h
>>
>>7897347
You're diary desu
>>
Not really a book so I don't know if it counts.
>>
>>7897339
Ham on Rye by Bukowski
>>
Any works about Socrates
>>
Infinite Jest
>>
The Picture of Dorian Grey
>>
>>7897339
Invisible Monsters.
>>
Nausea, Extension du Domaine de la Lutte,
>>
>>7897339
precious bane by mary webb
>>
>>7897806
Bane?
>>
>>7897339
her face is so fuzzy
>>
My Twisted World. Its actually prettu good.
>>
>>7897397
I'll allow it.
>>
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
>>
Geek Love
>>
>>7897339
Bleak House
Jane Eyre
>>
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.

Don't let the Disney version fool you, the real story is quite metal.
>>
john greens written works
>>
File: 19457.jpg (201 KB, 480x616) Image search: [Google]
19457.jpg
201 KB, 480x616
I'm judging only by the cover though.
>>
>>7897955
Second Jane Eyre. But beauty is subjective so i bet Jane's got a real nice rack if Mr. rochester wants to smash nightly
>>
50 Shades of Grey
>>
has no one posted about the PGOAT from IJ yet?
>>
Metamorphosis
>>
>>7897421
We are told, and can see in sculptures of him, how ugly he was. But ugliness, in itself an objection, is among the Greeks almost a refutation. Was Socrates a Greek at all? Ugliness is often enough the expression of a development that has been crossed, thwarted in some way. Or it appears as declining development. The anthropological criminologists tell us that the typical criminal is ugly: monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo [monstrous in appearance, monstrous in spirit]. But the criminal is a decadent. Was Socrates a typical criminal? At least that would be consistent with the famous judgment of the physiognomist that so offended the friends of Socrates. This foreigner told Socrates to his face that he was a monstrum — that he harbored in himself all the worst vices and appetites. And Socrates merely answered: "You know me, sir!"
>>
The temple of the Golden Pavillion
>>
>>7897347
He's not diary tho.
He's writer.
>>
The Symposium
>>
>>7897564
This
>>
>>7897339
I haven't read it but Brief Interviews with Hideous Men sounds related.
>>
Depending on what aspects you are trying to focus on...

The Invisible Man might appeal to you
>>
The ugly duckling
>>
The Ugly Barnacle.
>>
The Bluest Eye
>>
i forget whether no longer human describes the protagonist as ugly or otherwise but the overwhelming impression one gets is of an, if not ugly, but repellent (or perhaps, repelled) individual

there's a lot of poetry about nature that's sort of anthropomorphised and nature is literally the ugliest thing there is

dorian gray
>>
File: skylark.jpg (35 KB, 297x475) Image search: [Google]
skylark.jpg
35 KB, 297x475
S K Y L A R K
>>
>>7897339
The Dwarf by Per Lundqvist
>>
>>7900018
This novel is beginning to pop up everywhere
>>
>>7900032
and rightly so
>>
>>7897339
>you're covered in a very fine fuzz
>>
File: 1438915445087.jpg (449 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1438915445087.jpg
449 KB, 900x900
>>7899892
>mfw someone ruined the ending for me
>>
>>7897339
>tfw no hirsute qt
>>
File: Extension_du_domaine_de_la_lutte.jpg (137 KB, 1000x1363) Image search: [Google]
Extension_du_domaine_de_la_lutte.jpg
137 KB, 1000x1363
>>7897339
Read Houellebecq's "Extension du domaine de la lutte"... The english title is whatever.

It's an extremely good book about an absolute sadman and his extremely ugly friend who always fails at life just because he's ugly.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet.
>>
>>7900417
>Extension du domaine de la lutte
>The novel tells the story of a depressed and isolated man stuck in a tedious but well-paying programming job.

oh god, here we go
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.