[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Postmodernism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: postmodernism.png (11 KB, 656x244) Image search: [Google]
postmodernism.png
11 KB, 656x244
Sup /lit/erati,

I'm doing a course on Postmodernism, I've never done any actual Philosophy only course so I figure I better do extra reading to get as much as I can out of it and to get a good grade.

I'm supposed to write a 10 page essay on some aspect of Post-modernism or an influential post-modern thinker.

Any ideas on someone interesting that I could focus on? Any good books or essays that you think I should read?

Here is the compulsory minimum reading list I have from my course:

Lyotard, The Postmodern Condition
Sigmund Freud, Civilization and its Discontents
Heidegger, Introduction II to Being and Time
Michel Foucault, Madness and Civilization
and What is Enlightenment?
Michel Foucault, Discipline and Punish
Emmanuel Levinas, -God, Death, and Time; Basic Philosophical Writings
Derrida. Of Grammatology
Jacques Derrida, On Cosmopolitanism and On Forgiveness
Frederick Jameson, Postmodernism: The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism
Baudrillard, Simulacra and Simulation (part 1)
Barthes Mythologies
Deleuze, Difference and Repetition
Judith Butler, Undoing Gender
Slavoj Zizek, You May!

I'm not asking you to do my homework for me or something, just looking for possible topics that I might not be aware of seeing as I'm completely new to the topic. I've got ages to write the paper so I'm just looking to do some good research.
>>
>>7897270
Read the list and come back.
>>
>>7897284
I plan to, but is there nothing you'd think to add to it?
>>
>>7897291
Nietzsche, On the Genealogy of Morals
Schmitt, The Concept of the Political
Agamben, Homo Sacer
>>
>>7897291
Postmodernism - Jameson
>>
>>7897358
Scratch that, I missed it on the list. List looks sufficient. Looks like a fun course. Where do you go?
>>
File: ftfy].png (10 KB, 656x244) Image search: [Google]
ftfy].png
10 KB, 656x244
>>7897270
post modernism is incredibly simple to understand, if you think its obtuse or 'noone knows what it means' you're a simpleton
>>
>>7897346
Thank you,

>>7897364
Thanks,I'm doing this course in Vienna.

>>7897365
The image was from a simple Google search because I needed to post one. Sorry if you thought that's my stance on post-modernism or something
>>
>>7897373
ok, I forgive you
>>
>>7897365
Are you saying you don't understand whats going on in OPs picture?
>>
>>7897365
Explain what it is then, genius.
>>
File: whatyear.png (223 KB, 267x380) Image search: [Google]
whatyear.png
223 KB, 267x380
>>7897373
>course in Vienna.
what year is this?
>>
That's a fucking massive list to be honest.

I'd suggest you read some Burroughs (the Naked Lunch, the Soft Machine, Cities of the Red Night), Pynchon (whatever really), Deleuze (Le Pli - Leibniz et le Baroque), China Mieville (Looking for Jake, Perdido Street Station), Paul Auster's New York Trilogy and don't know, maybe HST's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Apart from that, a few relevant movies: No Country for Old Men, Dog Star Man, Danger: Diabolik and Tetsuo: The Iron Man.
>>
>>7897420
You can't seperate yourself from your observations.
>>
>>7897446
and I should say also you can't inject yourself into the observations of others.
>>
>>7897441
Honestly at times I feel like the Vienna of the late 19th/early 20th century is coming back.

The cafe culture and the large amount of students combined with the best life quality in the world really makes this a nice place to be.

Maybe I'm just shilling or something, but I'm only here for 1 year and so far I've fallen in love with it.
>>
File: fsjookrfaitask.png (207 KB, 532x398) Image search: [Google]
fsjookrfaitask.png
207 KB, 532x398
>>7897270
Not necessarily "postmodernism" but I might recommend Benjamin's The Task of the Translator essay in your list as well. It's short but pretty difficult.
>>
>>7897454
Isn't that true by definition?
>>
>>7897445
Thank you, I'll add that to the list!
I've got about 2 months for the whole thing so it won't be too much I think.
>>
>>7897446
What does it even mean to "separate yourself from your observations"?

Isn't that like "separating yourself from your digestion"?

Sense organs have a tendency to be attached to one's body.
>>
>>7897270
>you're "doing a course" and not "taking a course"?
>>
>>7897270
Neat list, OP. You'll have a lot of fun.
>>
are you taking paul fry's ENG300?
>>
>>7897291
You're not going to read all of it you stupid shit
>>
>>7897466
As another anon said, hope you have fun! I love postmodernism but here in Italy there are few courses on it, even when you're studying philosophy at uni. Sounds like I'll have to come over to Wien some time or other!
>>
>>7897461
yes, but often we conceptualize communication in a way that suggests it isnt

>>7897472
Basically bias
>>
>>7897531
How so?
>>
>>7897476
Sorry, English is my second language, I'll keep that in mind from now on.

>>7897483
Thank you! I hope so

>>7897510
I am not.

>>7897519
Why would I not read it?

>>7897524
You totally should, I'm not a philosophy student so I can't judge if my home university does courses like this but I think Wien has quite a large selection of courses in English so it's worth having a look.
>>
>>7897556
which?
>>
>>7897270
>Butler
>Zizek
No.
>>
I'd avoid the shitty reductionist logic in the pic. Consider the fact that there aren't any "breaks" in history. Joyce drew heavily from medieval philosophy, and to my knowledge there are few philosophers and writers who haven't been influenced by Joyce.
>>
>>7897270
add a bit in about the conflict of skepticism and relativism
>>
>>7897365
3rd pic should say "there's no such thing as progress so let's just fuck around"
>>
>>7897568
>>7897270
If you want something that's easy to read then get Richard Rorty's "Contingency, Irony and Solidarity". An awesome topic you could get from that book is self-creation.
>>
you should look at postmodern art as well. 'art since 1900: modernism, anti-modernism, postmodernism' is pretty good. respectable art historians

but i hope you come out of this course with a more nuanced understanding of postmodernism than that pic, even if you didn't select it based on your understanding of postmodernism. it's a really interesting historical moment. we probably need a pomo revival
>>
File: 1446147145810.png (596 KB, 615x645) Image search: [Google]
1446147145810.png
596 KB, 615x645
DEE EFF DUBYA desu
>>
>>7897445
>China Mieville
Why would slightly above average ya sf be helpful in understanding postmodernism?
>>
>>7897446
Of course you can't. Why dwell on that thought and make those whole movement primarily be about that, as if it trumps modernist aesthetics?
>>
>>7897270
All that for one course? How many weeks is the course?
>>
>>7899821
it doesn't intend to trump it, rather to undermine it.
>>
>pomo

you got meme'd

modernism is the end of literature
>>
lol, you already have a huge list, but if you want a comprehensive view on postmodern individualism, read "anti-oedipus".

>>7897460
seconding this desu
>>
>>7899870
It's about 2 months long
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.