[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommendations for good books about a man living ahead of his
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: bellow.jpg (6 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
bellow.jpg
6 KB, 200x250
Recommendations for good books about a man living ahead of his time, struggling to share his ideas in the midst of a society of repression?

With a protagonist who's more clever than Winston
>>
Mein Kampf
>>
The art of the deal
>>
>>7897151
If you're still thinking in terms of protagonists, you're actually 50-60 years behind the times.
>>
>>7897163
>>7897165
why do I come here
>>
The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Dream of the Celt
The Recognitions
>>
>>7897169
for the memes
>>
>>7897151

Man Without Qualities perhaps?
>>
the very hungry caterpillar
>>
>>7897169
The OP perfectly described Hitler's situation as a young man after the war.
>>
>>7897151
The Recognitions, kind of.
>>
>>7897216
fair enough
>>
>>7897151

The Book of Disquiet in some ways.. Pessoa comes across as incredibly well read in his numerous references to cosmology and modernist theory while both we're barely being fleshed out in the 20s. It's almost a shame he was never employed at a university.. but then we probably wouldn't have as much of his writings.
>>
>>7897229

>today's lecture is about tedium, why I'd rather sleep than be awake for literally the rest of my life, and why lecturing in my minds fantasies is superior to doing it in class
>>
The Seven Madmen/The Flamethrowers by Roberto Arlt
>>
Hard To Be a God fits this pretty well.

Pretty short summary that doesn't reveal too much is
>Spacefaring society observes less advanced society secretly
>Main char is doing this during time of strife
>Struggle to stay passive and not intervene

Also has some pretty good stuff about the persecution of intellectuals and condemns fascism.

Last bonus is it's basically a 3 hour read (For me and I'm a very slow reader)
>>
A Confederacy of Dunces
>>
>>7897169
i chucked a bit
>>
>>7897617
he's more le wrong generation
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.