[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>read the apology >socrates actually dies >no happy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: _socrates_death.png (102 KB, 300x215) Image search: [Google]
_socrates_death.png
102 KB, 300x215
>read the apology
>socrates actually dies
>no happy ending

explain this dotards?
>>
>>7896936

>read The Republic
>its a dictatorship

wow what a hack
>>
>>7896963
>not realizing that the point is that the ideal benevolent dictatorship of the philosophers is impossible and therefore the philosopher should seek to exist outside of earthly society in the realm of ideas
W E W
E
W
>>
>>7896936
It was pretty happy desu senpai. Socrates didn't fear death because of the DOCTRINE OF RECOLLECTION
>>
His death IS the happy ending. Socrates stood by his principles and Athens got to regret killing such a citizen that embedded democracy's crucial elements (and therefore never again going against them), such as subjective freedom and loyalty to what is right and true.
>>
>>7896936
He went back to the cave
>>
>>7896936
Socrates was a spooked retard.

t. Stirner.
>>
Socrates went out like a straight gangsta.
>>
>In fact, no soul returns to the place from which it came for ten thousand years, since its wings will not grow before then, except for the soul of a man who practices philosophy without guile or who loves boys philosophically.

B O I P U S S Y
>>
>>7896936
Well his death inspired Plato to hate democracy and write the Republic which influenced plenty of other people.
And he was 80 years old, you would think he would've died long before then
>>
>>7897540
>his death inspired Plato to hate democracy

The chaotic state of democracy at his time made Plato hate democracy.
>>
>>7896936
>read the apology
>socrates actually doesn't die
>read phaedo
>socrates actually dies
>>
>>7897638
There is a month between Socrates trial and execution.
>>
>read the divine comedy
>socrates is in hell right now

that's what u get for being passive agressive autistic fedora tipping atheist scum
>>
>>7897733
Limbo seemed comfy to be honest.
>>
>>7897733
Christian resentment at its finest.
>>
File: 1421855421438.jpg (89 KB, 469x960) Image search: [Google]
1421855421438.jpg
89 KB, 469x960
he get wrecked by his own philosophy. Is a philosophy that ends in you loosing your life really worth following?
>>
>>7897778
Yes, because he is not a faggot that keeps worrying about himself all the time, and delivered his being for the truth.
>>
>>7897792
so he lost his life for a spook?
>>
>>7897792
did you just claim the king of pederasty is not a faggot?
>>
>>7897801
You Stirnerists are just impossible to discuss with, it's like trying to argue who is illiterate about Philosophy. This 'everything is a spook' attitude is just your vanity showing, as if you are the master of everything that has objectivity and certainty, it is your loyalty (take that) to your own Ego which pulls you into destroying everything that is fixed valued by other people so the positive result is the 'I' itself.
One thing I can concede you: in the end you'll have nothing but your own personal ghosts alright.
>>
>>7897820
still rather be alive than die to an idea
>>
>>7897852
Socrates 'idea' was subjective freedom itself you idiot.
>>
>>7897820
So you're a spook, I see. Move along, fellow spookists.
>>
It was a happy ending, anon.

Socrates' knew he was a child of Athens and its laws, and instead of turning and running as soon as it was convenient for him to do so, he remained true to the laws and accepted his fate.

He knew that by escaping his judgement, everything he taught would be rightfully dismissed as the ramblings of a hypocrite and a coward.

By submitting to his death, Socrates was able to show the true nature of the Athenian assembly - democracy gone wrong. In his death, the truth of Athens' failure was so evident that it inspired an intellectual revolt which gave us the works of Plato.

Socrates was the first to realize that, in an unjust state, the true place for just men is prison. And if their ideas are resilient enough to stand that test, then those men will not have been imprisoned in vain.

The litmus test of a great idea is how far it can alter its context without violence.

Revolution is the last resort of the coward to inspire great political change.

Good philosophy achieves the same end without firing a single shot. See Plato, Hobbes, Nietzsche.
>>
Did anyone else cry when Socrates died?
>>
but i quit dota op
>>
>>7897877
explain how
>>
>>7897976
I did.
>>
He died serenely. The point is that Socrates wins mate. Happy ending for me anyway.
>>
>>7896963
He was right in the end, fascism is objectively the best government system
>>
>>7899148
>objectively
quit shitposting
>>
>>7898409
Yeah well that's a fucking spook
>>
File: 1441645178633.jpg (12 KB, 380x347) Image search: [Google]
1441645178633.jpg
12 KB, 380x347
>>7897309
>>
>>7897852
See >>7897540

He was an old man near the end of his life. Why would he have wanted to live the last three years not being able to do what he saw as his mission in life, or in exile?
>>
>>7896963
it's not a perfect translation of the Greek politeia, a more suitable translation would maybe be The State.
>>
>>7896972
>being a Straussian
>being taken seriously by anyone
>ever
>>
>>7899777
A better translation would be "regime."
>>
>>7897976
Naw it got spoiled for me.
>>
File: alien.png (841 KB, 538x622) Image search: [Google]
alien.png
841 KB, 538x622
>>7900294
>Caring about the opinions of the soul crippled non-Straussian sophists who inhabit the universities
>>
>>7900294
>>7900614

What's with this seeming division regarding Strauss? Someone explain this to me.
>>
>>7900635
Basically, Strauss is the only Plato scholar worth reading at all.

Everyone else is a revisionist, a Rawlsian, or a cultural Marxist. (or any combination of the 3)
>>
>>7900706
Sorry, correction: CONTEMPORARY Plato scholar.

Read his lecture on Symposium - it'll blow your mind.
>>
>>7900635
Strauss was a professor at UChicago who thought that Plato meant us to take Socrates' ideas for the state as absurd. He thought that the real meaning of The Republic was something like this
>>7896972

Most interpreters think that we are meant to take Socrates' description at face value as what Plato thought the state should be like.

Strauss' colleague Alan Bloom wrote an interpretive essay included with his translation of the Republic expounding on these ideas.

I may be really off track with this, it's what I've gleaned from reading Bloom's essay and Wikipedia, I haven't studied it in depth.

Here is a criticism of their interpretation.

http://people.virginia.edu/~gk/publications.html/strauss.pdf
>>
>>7900715
>Read his lecture on Symposium - it'll blow your mind.

Where can I read this?
>>
>>7900750
If you're a university student - check out your library. It'll be there, and I guarantee it hasn't been checked out.

If not, try a public library.

If you still can't find it, just buy the electronic version on Amazon. Not at all meaning to insult you, anon, but I'm shocked how many people have just forgotten that libraries exist.
>>
>>7900761
I live in a small town in South America, foreign philosophical books are kind hard to get on my hands.
>>
>>7900772
Ah, I see.

Try looking online for an electronic copy. Amazon will definitely have it. I wish I could help more, but I inherited my Strauss books from my father. First editions too.
>>
>>7900706
Myles Burnyeat
Gregory Vlastos
Terence H. Irwin
Michael Frede
Jonathan Barnes
G.E.L. Owen
Julia Annas
John M. Cooper
Sarah Broadie
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.