[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: philosopher-thinking-584.jpg (59 KB, 584x358) Image search: [Google]
philosopher-thinking-584.jpg
59 KB, 584x358
Ok /lit/ which books should i start to read(presumably philosophy and nonfiction)
>>
Philosophy is not a straight path, what kind of philosophy interests you, get a better understanding of the world? Prehaps some political theory to get more informed on your own ideals or what?
>>
I'm interested by eastern philosophy and also by the philosophy from the enlightenment age.Political theory also interests me but not to a large range as the ones above
>>
>>7896891
Read Alan Bloom's translation of Plato's Republic. Trust me, go get it from your library right now and start reading.
>>
File: Harold_Bloom_7536.jpg (330 KB, 1600x1050) Image search: [Google]
Harold_Bloom_7536.jpg
330 KB, 1600x1050
>>7896931
>I'm interested by eastern philosophy
>>
>>7896932
Don't listen to this guy. The Bloom translation is shit.
>>
>reading philosophy and non fiction

lol
>>
The beginner's starter pack that's usually recommended around here is:

1) The Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel
2) The Higher Infinite: Large Cardinals in Set Theory from Their Beginnings by Kanamori
3) Finnegans Wake by Joyce
>>
File: image.jpg (644 KB, 1538x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
644 KB, 1538x2048
>>7896938
Rec a better one, and tell me why it is shit. He says that the translator should be as literal as possible to preserve the words that Plato uses because they are ambiguous and suggest other meanings beneath the surface. Do you disagree?
>>
Start with the Greeks. Read in the following order.

The Story of Philosophy by Magee
Mythology by Hamilton
The Iliad by Homer
The Odyssey by Homer
The Histories by Hesiod
The First Philosophers
Complete Works of Plato
Complete Works of Aristotle
The Essential Epicurus
On the Nature of Things by Lucretius
Dialogues and Essays by Seneca
Discourses and Selected Writings by Epictetus
Meditations by Aurelius
>>
Good lad.I'll read in that order.I'm grateful man.
>>
>>7897048
Don't read all that shit. Just pick and choose which ones interest you. You'll get bored and lose interest in a few days if you really just try to read all that
>>
>>7897057
plebiscite alert
>>
File: greeks.png (86 KB, 1051x819) Image search: [Google]
greeks.png
86 KB, 1051x819
>>
>>7896945
4) Contributions to Philosophy (of the Event) by Heidegger
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 316x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 316x499
>>7896891
>>
>>7896931
>I'm interested by eastern philosophy and also by the philosophy from the enlightenment age.

you are beyond hope.
>>
>>7896949
Mythology by Hamilton was a joy to read. The Iliad is a slog, though.
How does the Odyssey compare to the Iliad?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.