[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes fiction worth the time? Non fiction is filled with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 7755782156_2e0cbbe820_z.jpg (327 KB, 640x530) Image search: [Google]
7755782156_2e0cbbe820_z.jpg
327 KB, 640x530
What makes fiction worth the time? Non fiction is filled with facts, historical antidotes and clearly layed out arguements. Fiction is one really long fake story
>>
Can provide a sense of escapism or use the fact that it's false to create a sequence of events that have a greater meaning than the parts individually
>>
>>7895880
Good fiction portrays reality
>>
File: 1451740832944.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1451740832944.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>
File: download.png (6 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6 KB, 224x225
>>7895880
>antidotes
>layed
>arguements
fiction uses words (sometimes very difficult!) you need to read to extract the meaning of the work. this will make you familiar with these words, hopefully allowing you to spell them correctly at a later moment.

your non fiction, ie art books and pop science garbage, makes use of words sparingly (ART) and usually in a limited way (BILL BRYSON).

also, muh facts

if you continue to read non fiction and at some point come across decent history books you'll realise (a) that your Facts with a capital f are 90% glorified trivia and (b) that the bulk of the information is some guy's interpretation that he may or may not have made up.

also fiction is always 'fake', redundant to call it that

also pic related, faggot
>>
>>7895894
> that your Facts with a capital f are 90% glorified trivia
And knowing the plots of popular novels isnt just glorified trivia? Facts are how we come to understand the world. Fiction is like history that doesnt really matter
>>
>>7895926
>plot
you endless pleb
>>
>>7895880
This might be the ugliest cover to the stranger I have ever seen
>>
>>7895894
>> you'll realise (a) that your Facts with a capital f are 90% glorified trivia and (b) that the bulk of the information is some guy's interpretation that he may or may not have made up.

Me likey this quote! But I'm actually still continually battling with OP'S question since I tend to read "real" non-fiction - Sowell, F.A Hayek, J.A Gray, Delanda - stuff that's actually HEAVY for the mind.

Add to that I seem halfly retarded when it comes to deconstructing imaginative narrative...

What do i make of that?
>>
>>7895880
That book in particular illustrates the outcomes (both internal and external) of embracing the author's philosophy. It conveys roughly the same amount of information as a lecture would in a short entertaining package. In that way it's a good representation of good lit.
>>
>>7895880
>>7895880

>What makes fiction worth the time?

What makes anything worth the time? Human beings assign worth to them.

If you cant see inherent value in art, then why do anything more than eat, shit, procreate and die like you're biologically programmed to?
>>
I fucking despise self help books, and to a certain extent Popsci books, although I do enjoy some of those. I cant stand to be told how to be better or live better, thats why I see Philosophy as shit. I know Kant and Neitsche and Hegel are smart and aybe right, but fuck it if Im gonna let some ODWM tell me what to do.
>>
>>7895980
and to add to this: If you're reading philosophy and follow these dead assholes by the dot, you're fucking wrong. interpret and assimilate it as you see fit.
>>
It's super hard for me to read fiction nowadays as I constantly see conspiracies about the author trying to brainwash me subtly, say mentioning homosexuals in a positive light, or some weird metaphor as a reference to the third reich, even if it is completely unfounded, I'm getting too paranoid for this shit
>>
>>7895980
You should read philosophy to recognize your own thoughts, not to be given a guide to life
>>
>>7895995
http://www.bentoandstarchky.com/dec/rants.htm
you should probably get help or something. That is where youre headed. Think of all the ways people delude themselves. The thing is people like to imagine its the fault of something outside themself. If something clashes with you sense of self youll make up anything to protect it. 'Im not gay, those feelings are just liberal jew nazi gangster mind control from the media getting in my head'.
>>
>>7895967
This is where the thread should have ended.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.