[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What creative strategies have you considered as a means of either
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: Cool_Pepe.jpg (8 KB, 222x216) Image search: [Google]
Cool_Pepe.jpg
8 KB, 222x216
What creative strategies have you considered as a means of either making your book appealing to publishing houses or in marketing and finding an audience for it?

I have recently completed the sixth and final installment of my debut memoir, and although the editing process will take another two months or so to conclude I am forced to accept that the most important thing for me in the foreseeable future is to identify publishing houses worthy of representing my book and thinking of ways to submit my work to them in a way that will leave them incapable of turning me down.

I am interested to learn what strategies others here have considered in doing so besides the traditional and at-this-point rather boring and ineffective strategy of submitting your work via formal channels (i.e. finding an agent and waiting to see if these individuals are able to correctly market a work that is not their own).
>>
>pretentious post accompanied by cool_pepe.jpeg
Damn
>>
>>7895504
Please articulate what you mean by pretentious.
>>
>>7895507
Is English your first language?
>>
>>7895509
My first and only in fact.

I'm curious to know why you are under the false impression that my post meets the definition of pretentious.
>>
>>7895496
are you the anon that was gonna dress up as a pizza delivery guy and hide his memoirs in a pizza box to secretly deliver to the publisher?
>>
>>7895515
This particular strategy is not as selfish as suggested by your post, as my intention is to purchase one actual pizza but request two boxes, with the empty bottom box storing my manuscript with a note asking that they do not humiliate me via social media should they decide that my work is not something they are able to appreciate or comprehend.
>>
>>7895519
so you still haven't followed through with it? you're more pathetic than i first thought
>>
>>7895496
have you had anyone at all look over your book to give you feedback?
>>
I may as well share what my own potential strategies are:

1. The Pizza Delivery Strategy: >>7895519

2. The Self-Publishing Strategy: although an admittedly desperate act, this would involve demanding as many financial loans as possible for as much money as I can, ordering as many copies as possible of my novel form lulu or another printing company, and then distributing these books en masse to select demographics (editors, respected writers, etc.) with a brief note explaining my background and the ambitions. I will then be forced to "disappear", potentially across the border, until the time comes when my memoir is published and the money I make from it is sufficient to pay back those loan companies who would have requested a warrant for my arrest etc.

3. The Kris Kristofferson Strategy: the famous country singer and actor Kris Kristofferson struggled to find anybody willing to read the numerous songs he had written during his time in Nashville. As a trained helicopter pilot he therefore flew a helicopter and landed it in the garden of Johnny Cash, demanding that the more famous singer consider his work. This plan obviously succeeded and Mr. Kristofferson soon became a household name. Lacking a helicopter licence or a driver's licence, my own version of this plan would involve my mother driving me around the country to the homes of writers I respect and waiting nearby while I knock their doors with a copy of my manuscript, or otherwise pushing my manuscript (gradually, considering the bulk and amount of pages) through the letterbox of each home.

4. The Subversive Advertising Strategy: similar to Strategy #2, this strategy would involve printing my own books and then advertising them by leaving them in several popular bookstores in a way that will not draw attention to my doing so and may very well lead to an Influential Shopper (i.e. someone within the publishing world, or perhaps an actor etc.) to appreciate my enthusiasm and creativity and ask the salesperson who this author is and how much the book costs. On being informed that the book is not in fact part of their stock, the Influential Shopper will then take it upon themselves to find out who this elusive, mysterious writer is and why they have not attained the fame they (I) deserve based on the quality of this intriguing, stimulating book.

5. The Henry Darger Strategy: by the far the simplest and most realistic strategy, this will involve living a life of loneliness and destitution, patiently if bitterly awaiting my death in the hope that my work will be "discovered" by a landlord or some distant relative somehow informed of my death, who would then, like the landlord of Henry Darger, feel compelled to find a publisher for my work, with the story of my mysterious life allowing the publishers to describe me as an Outsider artists, too pure to be appreciated in his own time.
>>
>>7895532
Not yet. I realize there is potential of my being ridiculed online and therefore blacklisted within the publishing industry, and as a cautious and profoundly deep thinker I must plan my strategy so that there is little room for failure. I owe it to the genius of my work, if not myself.
>>
>>7895548
Two agents have so-far dismissed it, one having misinterpreted my persistence as a threat of physical violence and one having praised my work for being "a curious [...] project" but ultimately realizing that their publishing house was not best suited for my style and quality of writing. I have recently submitted it to another agent though a reply has yet to arrive. My mommy also happened to enter my room without asking and read a particularly interesting and emotionally intense passage about a brief period in my early teenage years, and her reaction was predictably dramatic hysterical. I believe the librarian may have read several pages or so when I accidentally printed out some of my work on the library printer without knowing I had done so and only realizing I had the following day when the sheets were removed from the shelf and left on top of the printer for all to see.
>>
This is some serious 4K UltraHD Suprabait
>>
File: vlcsnap-2011-07-10-13h29m31s194.png (945 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2011-07-10-13h29m31s194.png
945 KB, 1024x576
r u a crazy person?
>>
I'll go with the Pizza strategy, except I do it at a famous writes conference, and I probably not Pizza but Pasta, because it smells like garlic less and first impressions are important.
In more detail, I will make famous personas read my work, und the false impressions the book is written by one of their fellow friend famous personas, and when the enthusiam kicks in and people are on tje verge to congeatulate each other, I'll drop the mask of the comference Pizza (Pasta) delivery man and take center stage, raising like Pheonix from within the realm of all the best writers so to speak, and reveal to them: I'm writer
>>
>>7895582
I have never been diagnosed with any personality disorders or mental health conditions. I largely dismiss psychological evaluations regarding my mental health and the mental health of others.
>>
>>7895583
I am appealed by the idea of attending a conference where there would be a concentration of influential figures within the publishing industry. However pasta is not delivered by box and therefore this particular suggestion possesses no value. But yes, I can imagine disguising myself as a waiter or some such thing and leaving a copy of my novel on the empty dinner plate of each conference attendee so they are forced to consider it upon arrival. This is a great idea in fact, and I hope you don't mind that I consider realizing it.
>>
You're probably the most persistent troll I've yet to encounter.
>>
>>7895549
This is fucking gold
>>
>>7895549
kek
>>
I like you op, you're funny. If you're writing contains such wit, then I wish you all the best in your unconventional pursuits for recognition.

God bless.
>>
>>7895549
is this b8?
>>
>>7895496
Memoire is that you? God bless your autistic little heart.

Anyway, my strategy is using superficially genreshit trappings to write the next Finnegans Wake.
>>
>all these newfags dont know memoiranon
>>
>>7895549
Fucking kek at number 4. I think I may actually try that if I ever actually write anything.
>>
>>7895549
I honestly hope you succeed. You seem a lot more interesting than a lot of the hacks who get published every day.
>>
>>7896572
He's not real though. The whole act is satire.
>>
>>7895496
>>7895519
>>7895549
>>7895562
>>7895583
>>7895587

You've missed your calling, OP. You need to drop this silliness of wanting to be a writer. Writing is clearly nothing more than a hobby for you.

That's okay. It is for most.

And yet, your post makes me sad. This is autistic knowledge on the levels of an idiot savant. Your true gifts, talents, and life calling is to become a genius in the field of subversive viral marketing.

Think, OP, think. Think of all the greatness lost to history simply because a person could not see what they were truly meant to become. Blind to their true nature. Like a vampire looking in a mirror. Billions of men and women who were either too dumb or too stubborn to acknowledge what they were born to be.

But I have good news for you, boy. You're in luck. We are living in the dawn of the golden age of subversive viral marketing. This is only the beginning. Standing on the shoulders of giant new advancements in technology, you can truly take the field to the next level. Social Media is only the beginning. Wearable technology is coming. Localized recognition is coming. Entire personal utopias in rooms in our homes are coming.

Be great, OP. Follow your true path. Be what you were born to become.

Be somebody.
>>
>>7896596
I saw him post last year. I doubt a troll would keep up the act for this long, autism aside.
>>
>>7896650
He doesn't post that often senpai. He's definitely a troll.
>>
memoir-anon is the best thing that /lit/ has produced
>>
>>7895669
[Help!]
(´・ω・`)
>>
Is someone screencapping?
>>
>>7896676
>what is warosu
>>
>>7895496
the reason a good agent is important is because it is essentially a cosign of the book's quality. I really doubt there is a reader/editor alive who could go in dry and pull genius out of the slush pile.

so try to find a champion of your work that can make the minimum reference needed for a 6 part debut memoir to be taken seriously. seems like it could be anyone who has connections, doesn't have to be an agent necessarily: other authors, professors, etc
>>
how old are you OP?
>>
>>7895496
Glad you're back and didn't kill yourself, memoir-san
>>
>>7896676
I've capped everything but I'm not going to make it into a single image for lazy fucks like you.
>>
>>7896712
Do you have screen caps from the old threads?
>>
>>7895496
You only need one creative strategy. Invisible style.
>>
>>7895496
Change your name to LaFreequia Dickenz
>>
>>7895583
Honestly whoevers doing this posting, I would read the novel of an autistic NEET anon desperately trying to publish his bulky memoir
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.