[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asimov's Third Law of Robotics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: sad-robot.jpg (44 KB, 640x715) Image search: [Google]
sad-robot.jpg
44 KB, 640x715
I understand the first two Laws, and the "Zeroth Law," but why did the third Law exist? Why should robots be forced to protect their existence as long as it doesn't endanger or conflict with the orders of a human?
>>
because if they gain intelligence, sentience and emotion then they should be granted the rights of humans. ROBOT MARRIAGE IS GOING TO BE THE CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUE OF THE NEXT GENERATION.
>>
Because you don't want your shit to break.
>>
Because the worth of a robot is greater than the majority of simple tasks a robot would theoretically be asked to accomplish. A robot may not understand this and complete a low-priority order regardless of a danger to itself.

Telling a robot to go from point A to point B might result in it wading through a swamp that ruins it, but the robot - without the third law - would be programmed to follow all orders without considering that maybe the human might decide the order wasn't worth it after realizing what it would do to the robot
>>
because then you might have robots killing themselves for fun
>>
>>7895264
>3: A robot will guard its own existence with lethal antipersonnel weaponry, because a robot is bloody expensive.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.