[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do we like it so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
why do we like it so much?
>>
99% of authors give you a book that when you reach the last page, that's it, it's over, and you put it back on the shelf. Wallace, though, gave us an infinite jest, that goes round and round, never ending, never reaching a conclusion. So I'd say it's his generosity.
>>
Because of that oracular foresight he stole from DeLillo.
>>
File: dfw.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>7894652

LMand but s O
>>
Because it's so all-encompassing. Infinite Jest, much like the other two members of the Meme Trilogy, discusses a huge range of subjects and exhibits an enormous vocabulary. We feel like Real Smart People for reading it, and can't wait to write to mom and pop about this cool big book.
>>
File: dungeon master edit.png (194 KB, 568x568) Image search: [Google]
dungeon master edit.png
194 KB, 568x568
>>7894652
>>
What books need to be read before Infinite Jest? Should I read stuff by Pynchon first?
>>
>>7894691
hamlet and that's pretty much it.
>>
>>7894699
Why Hamlet?
>>
>>7894706
because Hamlet is referenced throughout. you don't have to read it to understand the novel, though.
>>
>>7894691
None books. DFW is gross fraud.

If you read Pynchon you are already lightyears beyond anything Wallace was doing.
>>
>>7894730
we're all frauds
>>
>>7894806
deep
>>
>>7894730
There's emotion prevalent throughout IJ that you just don't get in Pynchon works. Pynchon is nice and all but a lot of his work is him just showing off how clever he is.
>>
Because it's smarter than us, but doesn't make us feel inferior. The ones that hate it are the ones jealous who realize it's better than anything they could write. It's genuinely clever and insightful into humanity. Is it perfect? No. But it's lightyears beyond most literature.
>>
>>7894839
the people that hate it haven't read it
>>
>>7894825
I think Pynchon is a much better novelist than Wallace, but this is a fair point. While I wouldn't say Pynchon's work is devoid of emotional connection with the reader, it certainly isn't as... Touching, as DFW is.
>>
We don't. Y'all like it because you're plebs.
>>
>>7894725
Such a newfag, lurk more before posting. The title is a reference to a line in Hamlet.
>>
>>7894865
nice ad hom bucko
>>
Unlike most of the retards here, I've actually read it instead of just claiming I have. And it sucked. It would have been good if it cut out 700+ pages of 'encyclopedic' novel bullshit and the pointless endnotes, maybe.
>>
>>7894847
>not being able to relate to bananarama

What are you, some sort of faggot?
>>
>>7894878
>>7894878
>Unlike most of the retards here, I've actually read it instead of just claiming I have. And it sucked.
this
this is what happened to me

glad I didn't buy it, falling for memes sux
>>
>>7894691
you best have a solid foundation in ancient and modern literature before you start reading postmodern shit
>>
File: horseshit.jpg (103 KB, 500x304) Image search: [Google]
horseshit.jpg
103 KB, 500x304
>>7894672
>>
>>7894847
DFw's "emotional" content is facile at best, hallmarky at worst. He certainly can build up a good deal of pathos for his characters, but it is too messy and cheap. He invites you to revel in the patheticness of his characters, proposing that it too is your patheticness, and all of mankind's patheticness as well, and then offers an absolution of sorts, something which is roughly mirrored in his philosophy.
>>
It's
Just
Plain
Fun
:-]
>>
>>7895017
>It's
>Just
I
J
IJ
Infinite Jest
>>
>>7894672

You forgot it's almost as hilarious as gravity's meme. Not many things make me laugh but the beginning after that eloquent inner monologue and then he speaks up and they tackle him for going full autist.
>>
>>7894649
Honestly, it's not even good compared to a lot of his other work. The Broom of The System and Brief Interviews With Hideous Men were better in every way.
>>
>>7895039
everyone's gonna respond to this bait
>>
>>7894869
More than just the title, retard.
>>
>>7895032
>after that eloquent inner monologue and then he speaks up and they tackle him for going full autist.

Wait, to me it seemed like he was having a seizure or something, and it only seemed to him like he was talking, while he actually was flailing his arms and making noises.
>>
>>7894672
I've never told anyone in person who hasn't asked that I've read Infinite Jest.
>>
>>7894872
>responding to b8
>>
>>7894672
Finnegans Wake is better than Ulysses. GR is admittedly Pinecone's best, but Brief Interviews with Hideous Men is DFW's strongest work as a whole. If I were to propose a revised meme trilogy it'd be Finnegans Wake, Gravity's Rainbow, and Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.
>>
>>7894936
>DFw's "emotional" content is facile at best, hallmarky at worst. He certainly can build up a good deal of pathos for his characters, but it is too messy and cheap. He invites you to revel in the patheticness of his characters, proposing that it too is your patheticness, and all of mankind's patheticness as well, and then offers an absolution of sorts, something which is roughly mirrored in his philosophy.
if your talking emotion, when compared to pynchon hes william wordsworth
>>
Because you're all pompous faggots
>>
>>7895023
JUST
>>
>>7894649
The masses, Reddit etc, like this book so much because it is Pynchon made accessible via transfiguring the pop culture obsessed plebeian's struggle with life. Everyone can identify with a mediocre man feeling empty and failing to rise above his cultural milieu.
>>
>>7894825
>he didn't get his heart ripped out by Roger and Jessica in GR and the ending of Mason and Dixon
Maybe you're just not a proficient enough reader to catch when Pynchon should be pulling on your heartstrings.
>>
did hal watch IJ and what did he say to the people at the beginning?
>>
File: 20150306_230159.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150306_230159.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7895166
You just did.
>>
>>7896689
>did hal watch IJ
no, he ate the mold.
>what did he say in year of glad (I take it you're referring to year of glad)
nothing comprehensible
>>
>>7896699
>in person
>>
>>7896667
This. There's a lot of emotion in Pinecone's work. It's just not as banal and gooey as what DFW does because Pinecone realized how vapid the American impulse to retreat into sentimentalism was.
>>
>>7896716
>no he ate the mold

Is this the definitive theory? There's also speculation that J.I.'s wraith put DMZ on Hal's toothbrush
>>
>>7896716
>>>7896716
so the mold just took like 10 years to fuck him up? he ate it when he was a kid
>>
>>7896667
I understand when he is trying to do this. it is my opinion that DFW does it better. It is also my opinion that pynchon is a better novelist
>>
I had to bring it back to the library before I could finish it

When I start reading it again I am not sure if I should sludge through 500 pages again to refresh my memory or just keep going from there. Are there any key characters I should know for sure?
>>
>>7897391
I think what happened was that J.I.'s wraith found a way to get Hal to ingest DMZ, and this catalyzed some reaction with the dormant mold. Keep in mind that DMZ is synthesized from a mold
>>
>>7897391
What was in the vial that Pemulus or whoever had? wasn't it that which brought out Hal's mold symptoms?
>>
File: Lenny.jpg (20 KB, 310x298) Image search: [Google]
Lenny.jpg
20 KB, 310x298
>>7894699
>not The Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>7894649
why the fuck do y'all?
no, really. i haven't read it. pray tell me.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.