[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth it to read In Search of Lost Time even if it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: in_search_of_lost_time.jpg (233 KB, 814x1200) Image search: [Google]
in_search_of_lost_time.jpg
233 KB, 814x1200
Is it worth it to read In Search of Lost Time even if it's going to be in a translation? I've heard a lot of good things about Proust's prose and wanted to try it out, but I'm afraid that some of the "mastery" will be lost in translation. This definitely happened a little bit to me with certain authors like Kafka and Dostoevsky. If yes, which translation is best?
>>
>>7894051
>Is it worth it to read In Search of Lost Time even if it's going to be in a translation?

For sure it's time better spent than the one you're wasting here.
>>
>>7894051
I read Moncrieff's translation of Swann's Way. It's super comfy, definitely worth the read.
>>
Yes. The Moncrieff translation is magnificent and considered by many to be the best English translation of all time.

The book doesn't lose its psychological insight and chilled atmosphere in Moncrieffs translation anyway. Proust had a great understanding of relationships and obsession.
>>
why is this board filled with retarded autists?
>>
A lot of translations are problematic, yes, but I feel that Proust's prose is so fundamentally distinct from the norm that most of the translations of ISOLT are excellent. I can't imagine that any translator worth his salt would make the mistake of misinterpreting this guy.
>>
>>7894124
Because you're here.
>>
>>7894131
thanks for confirming what a complete retard you are
>>
>>>
moncrieff's is considered to be the great translation of any book into english (except maybe 2nd to KJV).

as in, eeirely good translation.
>>
>>7894139
"I know you are but what am I?"
great bantz mang
>>
>>7894124
this is a completely normal and useful question on this board and all the responses before yours were helpful. what is wrong with you
>>
>>7894099
Most honest thing I've read on /lit/.
>>
Do book stores carry the full thing?
>>
File: oaEJkdX.jpg (189 KB, 1023x1024) Image search: [Google]
oaEJkdX.jpg
189 KB, 1023x1024
>>7894830
>>
>>7894830
My library has all parts, took the first one read 100 pages, fell asleep (literally, book put me to sleep), realized this shit is 1000+ pages and returned it.
>>
>>7895566
You don't get tired from reading any book? I read books to help me go to sleep. It's not that they're boring, there's just something about reading books that makes me tired.
>>
>>7894051
Yes. I suppose you will miss on Proust's unique, mesmerizing prose, but it's a novel you don't want to miss.
>>
>>7896246
Books make me tired, but I usually manage to finish a decent number of pages/chapters before that happens (80-250, depending on the book). With ISOLT I fell asleep three times while trying to reach 100. At first I told myself it's probably because I was tried when I began reading it, but it wasn't the case - tried a second and a third time some hours after having a good night's sleep, and it still put me to sleep. Couldn't keep track anymore. It started out fairly interesting, that's all I can remember.
>>
File: 2016-04-07 18.37.56.jpg (615 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-07 18.37.56.jpg
615 KB, 2560x1440
The best edition imo
>>
>>7896392
do you even Pléiade?
>>
>>7894051
>My Foster Wallace when I started with the Lydia Davis translation then realized she will finish the whole thing in neither of our lifetimes
>>
>>7894051
Really good if you're into chick lit type books. My mom and sister love it.
>>
>>7896527
She only translated Swann's Way, the rest of the books are translated by other people. It was part of a collaborative translation project by Penguin.
>>
>>7896392
This edition is way too big, floppy and the font is fucking awful. Quarto is the worst.
You're better off buying the Folio in seven volumes, at least the font is readable and it doesn't feel like you're holding a bag of bricks.
>>
>>7897033
I really don't see the point in a collaborative translation projects. The style is always all over the place, it doesn't feel like you're reading a coherent oeuvre.
Case in point, the translation of Ulysses in French ; each chapter has been translated by a different person, and the book's unreadable.
>>
>>7897033
Thanks, anon, that strangely takes a big weight off my mind. i guess Montcrieff for the second book, then?
>>
Every time this book comes up the fucking memers drop in and rec stupid shit. DO NOT READ THE ORIGINAL MONCRIEFF TRANSLATION! If you want a complete set with one translator, read the Enright/Moncrieff corrected translation. Otherwise, read Davis for Swann's Way and Enright/Moncrieff for the rest.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.