[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think the "will to power" is our main driving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
Do you think the "will to power" is our main driving force in life?
We always aim to have some achievements, be ambitious and reach the highest possible position in life.
>>
Bump for interest.
>>
>>7893205

No, I say the main driving force in life is subjective depending on who you ask.

Depends on the society and the individual I guess.
>>
>>7893205
did you literally just look on wikipedia to 'learn' what the will to power is?
>>
File: original_big.jpg (128 KB, 610x390) Image search: [Google]
original_big.jpg
128 KB, 610x390
>>7893261

I agree with this, there are as many different driving forces as there are people.
>>
will to power is the opposite of will to life
the difference is in being not like others' aim, so no no exactly
>>
Consider the will to power in the context of any action.

Take suicide: in a given case of suicide, does the suicidal person stand to gain more power by being dead? Are they more able to exert their will by killing themselves, than by continuing to live? Maybe.

Religious piety: one believes they are serving an ultimate power; it is no different than striving to achieve the übermensch.

Seemingly meaningless or vain diversions can be a form of power: consider storytelling, and the protagonist of the 1001 nights who saves her own life and is married to a king because she has talent as a storyteller.
>>
No.
>>
>>7893205
Yes, it sure is - but only when rightly understood.
>>
>>7893205
Yes, but you are mistaking Nietzsche's will to be something so simple as to refer to the conscious or subconscious, and those saying no ITT are making the same mistake.

Will is the unconscious. Will to power is the UNCONSCIOUS driving force of the universe. This is the ultimate will, life itself is this will. It is not something as simple as one's subconscious psychological drive, although all this certainly stems from the unconscious. Subconscious drives are like the children of the unconscious one, like the will to survival.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.