[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question: how does one prepare for / conduct oneself in an interview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: dog.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
Question: how does one prepare for / conduct oneself in an interview for a top-shelf MFA / MA. Brit fag here so I'm thinking UEA, St Andrews or maybe Manchester. U.S advice welcome.

> What kind of questions will they ask?
> Will they be more interested in me as a reader or a writer?
> What should I expect?
>>
>>7892578
Are they paying your fees?

If not you're literally being a cuckboy so people can take your money.

MFAs are shit in the UK outside of UEA, and even there all it consists of is meeting up with a bunch of posh people every Wednesday afternoon.
>>
>>7892585
Well I'd see the advantage as being it would set me up for a career in teaching creative writing, especially the practical pedagogy pathway at St Andrews. I haven't applied yet but even if they did not pay my fees I'd say that would be offset by being equipped to pursue a career that was moderately comfy and bearable. I've worked as a copywriter and it's unbearable.

> doing it for the paper at the end not the learning
> although I'm sure I'd learn a bit
>>
>>7892585
Also the Gov would pay my fees but I'd have to pay them back, student loan though so not too mean
>>
>>7892599
lol you do realize there are a million cucks as delusional as yourself wanting that same "comfy" career right?

I know of British writers have have published 2 novels with Canongate who struggle to get a gig teaching creative writing twice a week at fucking Coventry Polytechnic, why would they hire some random guy who writes poetry in his spare time?

>>7892603
A loan is a loan you cuck. Universities are companies. You are a customer. You are paying what I assume will be £6k to sit in a room full of SJWs once a week and hear them read out a story for 20 minutes about a widower who mourns his wife by going fishing for trout on Sundays.
>>
>>7892614
hmmm, well it is quite a competitive job market but surely I'll be a better candidate with an MA / MFA than without, and there are lots of other career paths. What do you do, you seem full of sage advice?
>>
>>7892627
I'm an online journalist at The Guardian. If you have money to burn I say go for it. Buy some baggy jumpers and plaid shirts and discuss The Colour Purple with Pippa from Henrietta and Philippa. But know in advance that the chances of you getting a job at the end are very slim. In the US it's different since the Iowa Workshop etc feature teaching as part of their (usually three-year, all-paid) cirruculum. It's not the same in Britain. That culture hasn't been established here outside of UEA. Do you write?
>>
>>7892637
Yes obviously. Are you really? How did you get into that? hmmm, you are giving me pause for thought, thanks for responding. From what I've read it looks like there are lots of posts in teaching CW at A level for ok money but I guess that might be a bit shit. Would you say UEA is worth getting the loan if they don't pay me fees or if I get fee reductions?
>>
>>7892637
Also St andrews features teaching as well. I think the "trendy" programs are trying to adopt the U.S model.
>>
>>7892637
Also is it really all that SJWish? How do you know, did you study on one of these programs?
>>
>>7892654
>How did you get into that?

Connections m8 :)

And they won't pay your fees. They only pay fees for people at UEA undergrad who win a scholarship to stay on. They used to pay full fees to anybody wanting to go (which is why Kazuguro went) but now it's in such high demand that there's massive competition for entry and as usual wealthy individuals are more likely to apply.

>>7892662
They may feature teaching but to get tenure in that field is hell on the whole. Personally if I were you I'd look up the creative writing professors for a random 20 or so British unis and look at their credentials.

>>7892669
I know plenty of people who attended UEA, Liverpool and Manchester creative writing and in general the course appeals to left-wing folk (which is fine and expected) who are generally looking to be super "contemporary" by discussing intersectionalism etc. If you like being around those kinds of people or in an atmosphere dictated by them then go for it, otherwise be prepared to neuter yourself or risk being viewed as this guy: https://twitter.com/GuyInYourMFA
>>
>>7892688
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

I have looked at a few teachers and some of them don't seem to have such impressive credentials. My plan, fanciful I grant, but not delusional, was to get an MFA from a good school and then hopefully get a post at a bad to middling one.

I'm a lefty, not an SJW, but I think I could bear the type of environment you're describing if it wasn't...exactly as you describe.

Their are some grants offered to non UEA students but I'd be more than lucky to receive them.

I have a 1st in a slightly wishy washy arts technology subject and I did consider just doing an MA in that to top up my skills...what would you advise?
>>
>>7892688
>https://twitter.com/GuyInYourMFA
Ha ha, I'm not that guy.
>>
>>7892740
I would first advise in all honesty that you get some more confidence about you and establish what exactly you want from life, where you would like to be, and whether or not you are assertive enough to demand that the external world yield to your will and ambition.

You earned a first, don't demean yourself by claiming it's wishy-washy. Nobody like a cuck. You seem to be rather uncertain about where you want to go in life, but that's fine although if you overthink and rely on other people to direct you you're likely to just stay where you are and become a depressed, miserable individual who thinks their opportunity has passed.

I would say that if you are determined, resilient and totally serious about making it then you are already ahead of the majority of your peers.

Link that may be interesting: http://www.ideastap.com/IdeasMag/all-articles/should-you-apply-for-a-creative-writing-ma-uea-city-goldsmiths
>>
>>7892756
I think actually my problem is almost the opposite: I think I'm very talented and I expect to be accepted onto a good program, to be published, and to find work as a lecturer rather easily. My nagging concern is however that I'm setting myself up for a huge fall. I sort of think you're right though. I'm just going to steam ahead and come what may.
>>
>>7892756

TY for posting. I'm not the anon whose financial ruin you helped avert but I salute ur mix of hard-nosed pragmatism and generosity. Hope the garbage leftist rag stepping-stone works for you and you're on to bigger and better things at FT/economist
>>
>>7892688
Can you explain why the Guardian has been deteriorating in quality? The books section is a farce now, nothing but clickbait and pseudo intellectual posturing. Look at this drivel http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2016/jan/13/is-james-joyce-ulysses-the-hardest-novel-to-finish
>>
>>7892792
Unfortunately this stuff attracts readers. I'd enjoy more sober stuff to be published along the lines of the LRB but when the competition are taking the easy route and posting clickbait you pretty much have to do the same in order to keep up. Bear in mind these articles aren't written for an audience like /lit/, and the paper has traditionally had as its core demographic the somewhat cultured middle-class reader with left-wing political beliefs.
>>
>>7892802
Can you hatefuck the girl who wrote that for me?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.