[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
C. Wright Mills
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: c wright mills.jpg (69 KB, 662x628) Image search: [Google]
c wright mills.jpg
69 KB, 662x628
60 years ago, C. Wright Mills published The Power Elite. In it, Mills talks of the powerless citizen, and how they are manipulated by elitist social powers – the corporate rich; Hollywood celebrities; the military powers that be; and politicians that use the mass-media to sway and dictate public perception. Furthermore, citizens will essentially try to assimilate to elitist ideologies and mannerisms, being shaped by the society in which they are surrounded, in order to attain status and a sense of social acceptance.

Thoughts on C. Wright Mills?
>>
consideration of the book has become moderately more favorable over time. In 2006 G. William Domhoff wrote "Mills looks even better than he did 50 years ago."[5] Mills' biographer, John Summers, while admitting that The Power Elite was "vulnerable to the charge of conspiracy-mongering" declared that its historical value "seems assured."

Can the OP or any Anons recommend a modern equivalent to mr c wright mills. ?
>>
File: juj.jpg (10 KB, 220x236) Image search: [Google]
juj.jpg
10 KB, 220x236
>>7892470
>>
>>7892471
who is it ?

an identifying name would be nice anon.
>>
>>7892474
>Reply
Adam Curtis. He's a documentary maker. Mainly for the BBC, a lot of his older stuff is on youtube. Pretty much all his stuff is worth a watch but Century of Self and The Power of Nightmares are where I'd probably start.

Bitter Lake is his most recent piece and it's a lot more abstract than previous work but still great.
>>
>>7892485
Adam Curtis is firmly in the mu-slim t er r o I s t s did nine eleven camp.

as mentioned in the bbc program " All watched over by machines of loving grace".
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.