[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Publishing and other stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 391px-Alice_par_John_Tenniel_02.png (140 KB, 391x598) Image search: [Google]
391px-Alice_par_John_Tenniel_02.png
140 KB, 391x598
Hey /lit/

I need some advice. I think I may stop at chapter 10 of my book and find an agent I guess. The issue is that I don't know a whole lot about publishing. I was told that I could go through Amazon but I don't want to if I don't have to. I want to go through Random House with Penguin Audio if I can get that far and hope to get Jim Dale to read it. I've always wanted this. My biggest dream is to see my work finished and people enjoy it as much as I do.

Also, is 10 chapters, with 10 pages enough? 100 pages? I know there will probably be around like 120+ mostly due to some chapters being around 12 pages.

What do you guys here think?
>>
>>7891658
finish the book first anon. also one page a chapter seems a bit short. if thats the way you want it then thats fine.
>>
>>7891658
Agents won't even consider taking you on unless you have a complete manuscript, and at least a second or third draft of it at that. If you're talking fiction, anyway. Nonfiction is different.

As for Amazon, you can put basically anything up there but all the work of promoting it is up to you.
>>
>>7892079
No no, I'm doing every 10 pages is a chapter.
I'm saying, 100 pages, 10 chapters.

>>7892087
That I've heard too. I've heard they read the first 10 pages and the last 10 pages and say if the book is good or not. Then again, this 1 girl I knew back in culinary was able to publish a book about as think as a common rule book or so and made a few bucks of it. She was a high schooler and a snob. She would never talk to me. Trying to get some work done now. I'm procrastinating way too much.
>>
>>7892104
How much of it they actually read is a whole other conversation. The point is most of them won't even look at your sample unless you tell them the whole thing is complete in your query, and they'll ask for a full manuscript if they're interested, so lying won't work.
>>
>>7892119
So I have to take what work I have now, and show them it in writing? Or can it be printed up? Please tell me it can be printed. Even tho 90% of what I have now is technically written up, but still.
>>
Don't self publish if you have any sense of self-respect or belief in your writing.
>>
>>7892209
ive actually hard complete opposite due to people getting cheated out of money.
>>
>>7892215
It's not really about money. It's just that nobody cares about, reads or respects self-published "authors."
>>
>>7892221
Yeah, I can understand that, like being an indie artist till someone gives you a shot basically
>>
>>7891658
Why are you thinking about publishing before you've even written anything? Chances are it won't be good enough for publication, anon.
>>
>>7892235
No I have. I have a lot written in my notebooks and on PC.
>>
>>7892221
>he fell for the respect meme
Have you even read this board? No one respects authors just because they're traditionally published.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.