[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing tips - Not sure if this is the correct board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Hello everyone, I'm creating a story that revolves around a high technology universe, but the thing is... with high developed AI it makes nonsense for humans to go to battle, or even battle at all, since the universe is so huge.

So, how can I write a story in the future that would make sense for humans to fight without Artificial intelligence?

I've been thining about a virus that is spreading through AI and computers, something like Megaman X.

It's not so good, but could work, I've never liked how Star Wars or Star Trek handle this.
>>
Also to keep it /lit/ related make posts with your favorite poem

Fra Lippo Lippi

—That is—you'll not mistake an idle word
Spoke in a huff by a poor monk, God wot,
Tasting the air this spicy night which turns
The unaccustomed head like Chianti wine!
Oh, the church knows! don't misreport me, now!
It's natural a poor monk out of bounds
Should have his apt word to excuse himself:
And hearken how I plot to make amends.
I have bethought me: I shall paint a piece
... There's for you! Give me six months, then go, see
Something in Sant' Ambrogio's! Bless the nuns!
They want a cast o' my office. I shall paint
God in the midst, Madonna and her babe,
Ringed by a bowery, flowery angel-brood,
Lilies and vestments and white faces, sweet
As puff on puff of grated orris-root
When ladies crowd to Church at midsummer.
And then i' the front, of course a saint or two—
>and so on
>>
>>7891341
>for humans to fight without Artificial intelligence
Look into Mutually Assured Destruction, op. It might be close to what you're thinking.

>Jews in the Land of Israel
>>
>>7891341

check out some of Charles Stross' short stories. he, too, has come up against the idea of conflict in a world with AIs.

AI is a little like having God appear in the book. strong AI renders everything meaningless, because it can do anything, solve any problems, and if AI can solve your problem then there's no conflict for the protagonist to deal with, and no story.

perhaps you might like to consider the idea of AI that isn't perfect... that is fatally flawed by the limitations of the people who made it.

check out Bruce Sterling's short story "In the name of Allah the Compassionate, the Digital"

(prolonged, stormy applause)
>>
>>7891354
>>7891602
Thank you, I've started to read Charles Stross stuff, I'm liking it.

Yeah, strong AI is really like having a God, it can improve itself and stuff.

I've read that if a strong AI gets to the point of having a 100 IQ, it would be only a matter of 3 hours for it to improve itself to the point of having 3000 IQ. That's the point where humanity reachs the singularity.

I think I will go with a virus/malevolent AI that has spreaded everywhere, so it made AI unusable, it is not perfect, but that's the best way to dump strong AI and allow for people to have conflicts.
>>
By the way, sorry for the "broken" english, it is not my first language, lol.

Spread is a irregular verb, right?
>>
>>7892996
Cock is one of my favorite tastes. Not only that, but balls smell amazing. It makes me go a little crazy on it to be honest. Like, I cannot get it far enough down my throat to be satisfied. I’m only satisfied when I feel those intense, powerful, salty, hot pumps of cum down my throat. When I sit back on my heels, look up at you with cum all over my mouth and slobber running down my neck, hair all fucked up and wipe my mouth with the back of my arm and ask you if I did a good job and you cannot even speak because I’ve drained all of your energy out the tip of your dick….. That’s when I’m satisfied.
>>
>>7893002
WTF? lol
>>
>>7891341
well, that's the wrong board. people here generally don't read science fiction.
Also you should have at least a basic knowlege of computing as well as programming, otherwise you are making yourself a fool by wrinting about something you don't understand.
>>
>>7892990
the singularity is still a theory, you understand.

i like the idea of an AI that can become pretty advanced but not godlike. able to out-think people, but still capable of mistakes. that's something that can be written about, rather than going all weird - like Frank Herbert did, with "Destination: Void".
>>
File: Margarine.jpg (21 KB, 800x664) Image search: [Google]
Margarine.jpg
21 KB, 800x664
>>7892996
it can be a noun :D
>>
>>7894358
>well, that's the wrong board. people here generally don't read science fiction.

the fuck you talkin' bout, Willis? SF threads here like pubic lice on yo' mama.

>>7894358
>otherwise you are making yourself a fool by wrinting about something you don't understand.

knowing how to write 10 PRINT "HELLO, WORLD" won't give you any insight on singularity-related matters. coders get too bogged down in the details they're familiar with. that's what was wrong with the book "Robopocalypse" - the author is a robotics engineer, and he focused on that, rather than looking at the greater implications of a wild AI.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.