[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can I get some underrated female writer recs? I'm sick of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: democracy.jpg (336 KB, 1192x1859) Image search: [Google]
democracy.jpg
336 KB, 1192x1859
can I get some underrated female writer recs? I'm sick of Virginia Woolf, the Brontes and Jane Austen. I want more like Martha Gellhorn and pic related
>>
>>7891139
Willa Cather.
>>
try Jezebel
they're all up in arms about Gay Talese not liking women writers
>>
File: tumblr_mhynrzPTv81r3gnddo1_500.png (215 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhynrzPTv81r3gnddo1_500.png
215 KB, 500x297
>>7891139
Hey, OP. ;)
>>
>>7891383
>that pic
That's a 4/10 trap at best.
>>
>>7891139
Evelyn Waugh is the only female writer I didn't despise. She's actually pretty funny.
>>
Leslie Marmon Silko
>>
>>7891405
Ayy lmao
>>
>>7891405
not as good as Ericha Maria Remarque
>>
File: Clarice Lispector.jpg (27 KB, 365x450) Image search: [Google]
Clarice Lispector.jpg
27 KB, 365x450
Try some Lipsector.

She's top tier and also the most qtp2t
>>
Eudora Welty
>>
Sappho, Renata Adler, Anne Carson, Gertrude Stein, HD, Anais Nin
>>
>>7891155
listen to this man
>>
>>7891383
When you see it, you'll shit bricks
>>
Alice Munro
>>
>>7891155
Came to post Cather.

Etel Adnan
>>
J.K. Rawling
>>
>>7891673

Didn't you see it immediately? I did. I get this synesthtic response whenever I see her, I can smell her through images, that stale reek of cigarette butts and an earthy, mildewy smell like a basement with fungus growing in it.
>>
Joan Didion is incredible. Love her nonfiction - never read her novels, nor really care to, but the White Album is one of the best essays collection I've ever read.

>>7891651
Also seconding Anne Carson and Sappho.
>>
File: female authors.png (1 MB, 2720x4500) Image search: [Google]
female authors.png
1 MB, 2720x4500
>>7891139
From an old thread.
>>
read the fucking stick you retard
>>
File: female authors 2.png (2 MB, 2763x4500) Image search: [Google]
female authors 2.png
2 MB, 2763x4500
>>7892999
>>
Mavis Gallant is great, and next to nobody reads her anymore. Her story "Speck's Idea" is an interesting look at how people in post-war France can turn to the far right, without any of the typical liberal demonization. From a writing standpoint her usage of close-third is excellent, and she has a knack for writing stories that span large amounts of time without feeling like the story is rambling or fractured.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.