[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1455663959659.jpg (141 KB, 700x850) Image search: [Google]
1455663959659.jpg
141 KB, 700x850
what did dear Soren mean by this?
>>
>>7890828
Are you literally retarded?
It means you can only understand the significance of events in your life after they are already over.
McLuhan makes the same point more metaphorically when he says that life is like driving a car and only being able to look in the rear-view mirror.
>>
>>7890828
is that too close to determinism or am i just dumb?
>>
>>7890828
It is easier to predict the cause of an event by seeing the effect of the event than vice-versa.
>>
>>7890843
Kierkegaard was hella against determinism and fatalism (because then killing your son wouldn't "mean" anything) so that'sprobably not what he's getting at
>>
He meant that we should all strive to just be ourselves and that's all that matters
>>
>>7890837
ah, i see, so, to put it succinctly, "hindsight's 20/20"?
>>
>>7890853
I guess so but the clarity of retrospect only describes half of the statement. The other half is the irrationality/unpredictability of the present as it leads into the future, and the implied foreboding/fear that this presumably instills in the ponderer. Like a true existentialist he's describing how odd it is that the two halves of our lives (that which we have already lived and that which we have yet to live) are so fundamentally different in their natures.
>>
>>7890851
but how "life can only be understood backwards" isn't determinism, when you can only understand where you were going in the end?
>>
>>7890874
He goes over this shit in Repetition, with regards to looking at life backwards and free will that is and F+T and SUD are where he discusses his thoughts on free will
>>
>>7890925
Thanks. I'd better check those out.
>>
>>7890852
>kjerkegurd
>normie

pick one
>>
>>7890931
Yeah I'd recommend you start with Sickness Unto Death or ,if you can handle heavy biblical vibes, Fear and Trembling
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.