[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writers of /lit/, who are your influences? Everything you read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: ice-wall.jpg (1004 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ice-wall.jpg
1004 KB, 1920x1080
Writers of /lit/, who are your influences? Everything you read influences your writing to some extent, but who are the big ones?
>>
>>7890775
john green
james franco
>>
Burroughs
Ellis
Kosinski

what can I say? I'm an edgy, pervy fag.
>>
My influences are Pynchon and DeLillo, but I aim to surpass them.
>>
I am probably more influenced by the way I was raised than by writers specifically so I'd say my mother and my father and perhaps my brother
>>
Giles Deleuze
Felix Guatarri
RD Laing
Wilhelm Reich
Sasha Shulgin
Manuel Delanda
Nick Land
Reza Negarestani
Algis Uzdavinys
Peter Kingsley
Gregory Shaw
>>
J.D Salinger
Mark Oliver Everett
Solomon
Aesop
Kafka (If this thread picks up speed, you'll see K name dropped a few times)
Jimmy Buffet
Terrence Malick
>>
>>7890775

Can I be honest?

My biggest influences are Frank Zappa, and Andrei Tarkovsky.

Two people who have nothing to do with literature.

If I can find someone I truly love and admire and feel somewhat connected with that is involved in literature, I might include them in the list too.
>>
I don't have influences; I am the influence. When my debut is published, literature won't be the same for at least a hundred years. Not trolling.
>>
>>7891463
I can understand because my biggest influences are Schubert and Beethoven. I admire and am inspired by Dostoevsky, but it is not a solid inspiration that can be accessed as easily as what I find in the composers.
>>
>>7891471
What's your last name, confident Calvin?
>>
>>7891463
are you the dude who said that Zappa would make a good writer a few weeks ago?

cause if you are, i applaud ye
>>
Wolfe
Borges
Faulkner
Shakespeare
Melville
>>
>>7891507

No I am not, however I do think Zappa had the obvious mental capacity to become almost anything he wanted to in my opinion. He was toying with chemistry at a pretty early age, he had a very scientific mind. If we are talking about what if Frank Zappa was interested in literature rather than music and film, I would guess he would be similar to Pynchon but more cynical and more weird.

He has a really good autobiography by the way.

It's rare someone oozes that amount of intelligence like that in anything they do.

Of course I am not going to suck his dick like a lollipop though, but I can say he is an influence to me because he is an intellectual giant coming from a kind of perspective I can relate with. He had a great sense of humor, made me rethink what I thought about music, made kickass music, and he wasn't pompous or "elite" about any of it, he appreciated the low-brow as well as the high-brow. So obviously discovering him was a beacon of hope for me when I was in highschool, just watching interviews and stuff like that.

As far as Andrei Tarkovsky, he is an inspiration to me purely as an artist. His take on spiritualism in art and his unique and somber take on film really made me turn into a crying bitch when I watched "Stalker" for the first time. Not crying because it's sad or anything, but crying because it was so good. It's the kind of art that essentially has no true meaning, it's something mystical and hard to explain with words.
>>
>>7890775

Kierkegaard and Beethoven
>>
Bataille, Pynchon and Marx. I like to mix them with various kinds of pop culture, from the old pulp novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Park Chan-Wook's vengeance trilogy, and various types of anime.
>>
File: 1459754604307.gif (770 KB, 500x546) Image search: [Google]
1459754604307.gif
770 KB, 500x546
>>7891533
This, pretty much, with a big emphasis on the Melville. Add some McCarthy too.
>>
I'm easily influenced by anything I read. I have to be careful with what kind of books I pick up, because their style will immediately have an effect on my writing.
>>
File: 1458905322090.jpg (76 KB, 594x395) Image search: [Google]
1458905322090.jpg
76 KB, 594x395
>>7890775
Stirner, Cioran, Schopenhauer
>>
>>7890775
Hawkes
Pinecone
Joyce
DFW
Early Auster
Nabokov
Some Shakespeare
Lots of crap that's not /lit/ after that
>>
Ezra Pound and TS Eliot are my two great intellectual influences; Camoes and the great sonnetists of all ages are my great literary influences.

I haven't absorbed Dante well enough to say that he influences me, but as soon I as do that I know he will. He's my favorite poet. He's highly clean and he's highly visual. I also haven't read Chaucer yet.
>>
Dostoyevsky - Underground man lifestyle
Joyce - Irish setting during pirate times
Pinecone - Buckteeth influenced rabbit characters in my writings
DFW - A dark theme of suicide and bandanas
Cough cake - Rabbits turn into insects
Borges - My writings take place within a book in it's own universe in a library dimension
Shakespeare - Lots of rabbits are ejaculating from their penises
Hemingway - Manly rabbits doing manly things
Camus - Rabbits smoke a lot and are cool cats but die in car crashes since they are literally just rabbits
Nabokov - loli rabbit, small breasts, crooked teeth, shaven
>>
Melville
Faulkner
G K Chesterton
Bulgakov
Henry James
>>
>>7892225
Care to share some samples of your work?
>>
>>7892291
Can you read Lojban, Latin, and Spanish? Because that's what nearly of my writings are written in.
>>
>>7892307
I can certainly try.
>>
>>7892208
Feel sorry for you brah.
>>
>>7890775
Ezra Pound
Hart Crane
James Joyce
William Gass
William Gaddis
John Hawkes
Joseph McElroy
>>
>>7892381
Hello gassposter. I'm halfway through The Tunnel, finished Middle C last month and absolutely hated it.

No Barthelme or Sorrentino? No Arno Schmidt?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.